Start by marking “This Is What Happy Looks Like” as Want to Read:
This Is What Happy Looks Like

This Is What Happy Looks Like

(This Is What Happy Looks Like #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  46,756 ratings  ·  4,988 reviews
If fate sent you an email, would you answer?

In This is What Happy Looks Like, Jennifer E. Smith's new YA novel, perfect strangers Graham Larkin and Ellie O'Neill meet—albeit virtually—when Graham accidentally sends Ellie an email about his pet pig, Wilbur. In the tradition of romantic movies like "You've Got Mail" and "Sleepless in Seattle," the two 17-year-olds strike up
Published October 24th 2013 by Headline Book Publishing (first published April 2nd 2013)

·  46,756 ratings  ·  4,988 reviews

Start your review of This Is What Happy Looks Like
Zoë
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sadly, this book wasn't for me. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think Jennifer E. Smith's writing in general is for me as I didn't enjoy The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight either (although I did like it more than this one).
Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate TIWHLL. I really enjoyed the first third of it and was getting invested in the characters and plot, but then it just fizzled out. There really wasn't a plot driving the story forwards and I didn't feel any
Debby
2 stars

As a true hopeless romantic, the "normal girl meets and falls in love with a famous boy" story makes my heart flutter. No matter how cliché, I really enjoy reading stories like it. And yet... This Is What Happy Looks Like is just lackluster in everything. This review will contain spoilers. Beware. I just can't review this book without pointing out the idiotic plot points.

So Ellie and Graham meet by accident when Graham misspells an e-mail address. They don't know who the other is, but
Maureen
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I CANNOT WITH THIS BOOK. I'm pretty much giving it a 5 star because of how much it made me love it. It certainly wasn't perfect, but it was exactly what I needed at the moment and was just PERFECT FOR ME.
I loved the characters and the romance and just EVERYTHING SO MUCHHHHH. IT IS EVERYTHING.
MY HEART.
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Sweet, heartwarming and very wholesome. Three things why I like reading books by Ms. Jennifer E. Smith. There is a familiarity to her stories the reader could easily relate to. It’s like watching feel-good romantic movies. You could easily predict the plot but you enjoy it just the same.

I just thought the alternating POV between the girl and boy would have worked better in these kinds of stories instead of the third person because it seemed like the third person narrative made the pacing a bit
Reynje
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

No, this is what boring looks like.

After The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, and now this, I think it's fair to say that Jennifer E Smith's writing is just not for me. The potential is there - interesting premise, realistic complications - but unfortunately the execution is bland and tedious, and I don't feel the most was made of the conflicts raised.

Meh.
Giselle
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, arc
If you want a read that leaves a smile on your face, This Is What Happy Looks Like is the perfect choice! A sweet romance, a small town, and fun characters make this a great summer read that you should definitely bring on vacation!

A modern day fairy tale is what this story is, really. It's not the kind of love story that's particularly believable--no one accidentally pen pals a stranger who ends up being a movie star--but if you enjoy those lightweight romance books where the story is more of a
Mitch
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Believe it or not, I’ve seen You’ve Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle. Not willingly, but I’ve seen ‘em. This is What Happy Looks Like is neither. In reality, what this really is is Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!... which I have also seen, also not willingly. So if you're looking for some cute emails (it's not written wholly in epistolary form though, don't worry), yeah this book has 'em. If you're looking for every single movie star tired of his job deciding to looking for romance with a small ...more
Booknut
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It is now 11:28 pm.

I forced my drooping eyelids to stay open so that I could finish this amazing book.

This is officially the best book I have ever read in my 17 years of life.

I'm crying and laughing at the same time.

I've been given a precious gift; a story that, like a jigsaw piece, has clicked into a place in my heart, a place I never knew was empty and waiting to be filled.

I'm so, so happy. And this book is to blame.

So it's off to bed - tomorrow is nearly here! And like our main protagonist, I
Shannon (leaninglights)
Such a cute read. I love Jennifer E. Smith's effortless and charming writing style and stories. I thought this story was adorable and a perfect summer romance! Not my favorite by Jen, but a sweet and heartfelt novel.
Lala BooksandLala
Mar 06, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
DNF at 100 pages.
Wow, this novel single handedly solidified my dislike for fiction books about famous people.
Carmen
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cutesy-romance
So the thing with Jennifer Smith's stories is... It's not unique but it's... Amazing.
I don't know she does it, but somehow, it's almost like she takes cliches... and makes them new and refreshing, and remind us of WHY they became a cliche in the first place. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight used the cliche of love at first sight, and this one of falling in love with a celebrity.

And OMG. I loved it. It was absolutely adorable.
I did wish the mystery of who Graham was withheld a
Jessie
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Nothing really happens, but a cute story nonetheless. The events in this book was actually pretty realistic. It deals with the problems Graham faces as a movie star and Ellie's past. Though there never was a real solution to them, there isn't supposed to be one in reality, and I find the no solution part really refreshing. In reality, there are difficulties we can't tackle, problems we can't handle, that's why the whole plot felt like something that would actually happen
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Very patient romance fans

This Is What BORING Looks like

After Ellie gets an email from a random stranger online when he types the wrong address by accident, the two of them start chatting and form a three-month long pen-pal relationship. They never reveal their names but Ellie finds herself telling him things about her life that not even her best friend knows. The whole mystery of the situation makes Ellie look forward to each exchange with excitement and thrill.

What she doesn't know is that the funny, charming stranger
Jasprit

This is What Happy Looks was a super cute book about two strangers being brought together by an e-mail being sent to the wrong e-mail address. Before you know it Ellie and Graham are sending e-mails back and forth to each other for the next few weeks. Ellie doesn’t know Graham’s name and that he’s a famous actor, but he’s the only person she’s ever opened up to. She finds it easy to talk to him and tell him things about him she’s never told anyone before. Ellie’s not had the best life,
Nafiza
Here you go:

I haven’t read The Statistical Possibility of Love at First Sight so I was not really aware of Smith’s writing style when I first started this novel. I do think the premise, while it has been done countless times in countless variations, will remain attractive to anyone looking for a fairytale romance.

Except, you know, this novel doesn’t exactly deliver on the fairytale portion. It’s not exactly grim and realistic but Smith is careful to ensure that the not-so-fun parts of the
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

“Maybe growing up was really nothing more than growing away: from your old life, from your old self, from all those things that kept you tethered to your past.”

What does happy look like? For me, happy looks like reading good books. I wasn't exactly the happiest person when I finished this novel. But that's not to claim that Jennifer's latest was a complete disaster, I would just put it as mildly interesting and cute. I think I would've rated this differently
Irena BookDustMagic
There's one thing about me (that you did or did not know) that had a huge impact on me when it comes to enjoying while reading this book: I am a celebrity freak.

So I didn't go into this book totally blind. Even if I wanted to, I don't think that would be possible for me since many of my GR friends have already liked and recommended this book to me.

This is a light and fluffy contemporary novel, perfect for summer read.
I can't help but to feel a little bit sorrow for not waiting two more months so
Claudia B.
Oct 15, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"You've Got Mail" + "Sleepless in Seattle" + the super star thing + a mystery in the family?!

Robin (Bridge Four)
This is the kind of book you read in-between other books. It is sorta like cotton candy, you put a big fluffy wad in your mouth and it dissolves immediately without much fuss or substance to it. Don’t get me wrong it is delicious and enjoyable but it really isn’t going to stick with you either.

That is what This is What Happy Looks Like was for me. It is easy and flows along without much thought. It is cute and if you have already read Anna and the French Kiss or Lola and the Boy Next Door it
Carrie
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellie gets a random email asking to make sure Wilbur gets fed and being an animal lover she couldn't help but respond to let the person know he'd gotten the wrong person. Striking up a conversation over email Ellie and Graham begin a friendship that Ellie never thought would go any further than email since the pair are from opposite sides of the states.

When a movie production ends up taking place in Ellie's small town she finds it a bit more of an inconvenience than anything. Everyone a flutter
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Cramathon read #2: COMPLETE!

This book was a bit of a mess. I really wanted to like this because it sounded SO cute, but it was a bit of a letdown. The writing was fine and the characters were cute but there were just TOO many things happening. I feel like this would have been so much better if the author had cut back on some of the dramatics tbh.
Stephanie Fitzgerald
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Y.A. Readers
I liked this one a lot! The unique storyline of two teens striking up a relationship due to a mistakenly sent e-mail about a pig was interesting enough to draw me right in. This is the second novel I’ve read and enjoyed by Jennifer Smith; I think I’ve found a new favorite Y.A. author!
Oceana
4.5 stars.
Super easy and cute read.

I definitely want to check out Jennifer E Smith's other books.
Muse-ic ♬
Just barely 3 stars. It was sorta cute, but not really. I wasn't really feeling it and the two main characters didn't have much chemistry. It was also a little bit insta-love-y. Like, just because you emailed each other for a few months, doesn't mean you've fallen in love! I kind of reminded me of Meg Cabot's work.

So one day, famous 17-year-old actor Graham Larkin sent an email to one of his managers about walking his pet pig. His email, however, went somewhere else. He missed one number in the
Katrina Passick Lumsden
The word for today is: Disappointment.

That is what this book was for me; a major disappointment. I will attempt to explain why, but it may not come out as coherently as I hope.

For starters, nothing happens. Yes, there are events, characters do things, but nothing happens. Nothing really changes except for a few minor details, a few outlooks shift, but after being force-fed a diet of secret scandals and lies, I felt like perhaps there should have been a bit more climax. Instead the entire story
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
For someone who gives five full stars to every book that has successfully managed to extract one happy tear out of her eyes, this book proved to be way too much endearing and heartwarming.

It's not the storyline that got me reading in the first place, but rather the peculiar and seemingly funny first few pages that promised yawn-free, tedium-free waking hours of the entire night!

–Uh-oh.

–What?

–I forgot my phone.

–So?

–So how am I supposed to e-mail you now?

–I guess we’ll just have to talk.

Theresa
I thought this book was pretty good! Definitely a very fluffy, easy contemporary read. I wish there was more of a dialogue with Quinn and Ellie's relationship, their feud in the beginning felt to forced to me. Otherwise it was pretty good! I loved the town of Henley, I could imagine it perfectly in my mind! 3.7 stars!
Natalia
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This was a fun and entertaining book. Not anything special or even memorable, but I had a lot of fun reading it.
The book is told from the point of view of Ellie and Graham. Ellie is a small town girl, she’s smart and has always dreamed of going to an Ivy League collage. Her life doesn’t turn out to be that ordinary as everyone though though. Graham is a movie star. He has only played in two movies so far, but they’ve been a great success and he is suddenly famous. He has do deal with the media
~Tina~
Call it fate, destiny, meant to be or maybe it was it's own kind of miracle, but when fate decided to send a mis-typed e-mail that sparked a new found friendship for GDL824 and EONeill22 that gave a whole new meaning to internet connection, wouldn't you answer back?

I've only read one other book by Jennifer E. Smith, but that was all it took for me to want to read more of her work and fall in love with the ideas she comes up with. Jennifer has a knack with taking something impossible and making
Anna
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
2,5 stars. Disappointing book. My expectations were too high I guess but it was a cute book to read. Enjoyable at best.

Ellie gradually becomes a tiny bit annoying whereas Graham becomes a better guy. But there isn't really any development. The story is so cliché. The plot wasn't very exploited but I did love the papz thing that made me realize how hard a celebrity's life can be.
Aside from that, it was so slow. I feel horrible for that but when I saw the acknowledgements page I was so fucking

• The Distance Between Us
  • Love à la Mode
  • Tell Me Three Things
  • Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
  • The Unexpected Everything
  • She's So Dead to Us (He's So/She's So, #1)
  • Love & Gelato
Jennifer E. Smith is the author of eight books for young adults, including WINDFALL and THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. She earned her master's degree in creative writing from the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, and her writing has been translated into 33 languages.
“Exactly. How can you know it makes you happy if you’ve never experienced it?”
“There are different kinds of happy,” she said. “Some kinds don’t need any proof.”
234 likes
“From: EONeill22@hotmail.com
Sent: Saturday, June 8, 2013 1:18 PM
To: GDL824@yahoo.com
Subject: what happy looks like
Sunrises over the harbor. Ice cream on a hot day. The sound of the waves down the street. The way my dog curls up next to me on the couch. Evening strolls. Great movies. Thunderstorms. A good cheeseburger. Fridays. Saturdays. Wednesdays, even. Sticking your toes in the water. Pajama pants. Flip-flops. Swimming. Poetry. The absence of smiley faces in an e-mail.

What does it look like to you?”
147 likes