Start by marking “Uncle Vampire” as Want to Read:
Uncle Vampire

Uncle Vampire

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  157 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Carolyn fantasizes that her uncle is a vampire, but the truth is even worse: he is sexually abusing her. And, in a final, shocking plot twist, Carolyn reveals the depth of her pain--and takes the first steps toward healing. Winner of the 1994 Hungry Mind Review Children's Book of Distinction Award.
Published April 11th 1995 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Uncle Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncle Vampire

MAP
I'm really surprised the summary at the top of Goodreads lays it all about the sexual abuse...I'm sure the metaphoric descriptions throughout the book would be obvious to an adult, but for me, a sheltered 11 year old reading it in 1995, it was a HUGE plot twist (but not the only plot twist) when it was finally revealed with "He fucks us." (I do think it may have been the first time I'd ever seen the word "fuck" in print as well.)

Obviously it stuck in my memory, for me to remember so well after n
Amber
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybooks
Carolyn and Honey are twin sisters who live with a dysfunctional family and whose Uncle is secretly a vampire, but is he due to the things he does to them in the dark and can they tell anyone about it? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good but sad book. Definitely check it out. You can find this book at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Morgana
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Piango e mi fa male li stomaco. Come può tanto dolore essere rinchiuso in cosí poche pagine?
Una lettura che fa riflettere e rimane nel cuore.
Maki
Spoilers - this isn't a "vampire" book.

I grabbed this book from my library during the height of my teenage vampire obsession. So, when I was fourteen or so.

Oh, I knew there weren't actually any vampires in it when I grabbed it. The symbolism of the story felt incredibly heavy-handed to me, even back then. The story itself was okay, but I'm definitely glad that I was mentally prepared to handle a story like that when I read it. I could easily imagine kids picking the book up, thinking that they w
Amy's Book Reviews
Grade: B

Carrie's UNCLE VAMPIRE comes at night and sucks her blood and that of her twin sister Honey. Older sister Maggie escaped to college cross country, brother Richie zones out with drugs, Mama takes to her bed, Papa worries about his failing business giving Uncle Toddie free reign. Carrie can't tell what he's doing, because he says it'll kill her beloved grandmother.

From the get go, we know UNCLE VAMPIRE is metaphoric for sexual abuse, although some younger readers might not realize. The al
Aubry Newth
This book goes through the symptoms of a girl who was raped by her uncle and find's in her older year's that she is not a twin and her uncle was not a vampire he was just a sick guy and she has to find the strength to find her way and let other help and let them in.
Monique
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
So wanted something quick as I contemplate my next reading (will it be something from my personal library as I always seem to neglect books that I compulsively buy/borrow from everywhere or some library treasure in my never ending pile of to-be read books) and while I research and ponder I decided to try this Young Adult novel that boasts a major plot twist and a secret you have to read to the end to find out and it was just as short and straightforward as I hoped..good message but kinda juvenil ...more
Leah Goodreau
Oh Lord Almighty, what am I going to say about this book?

It shocked me, which I was really unprepared for because I thought it was kind of, you know, all there in the summary (No, it's not really a vampire book: don't set yourself up for disappointment. Summaries are your friends). But parts of the story really took me by surprise in the best, internal-gasping, what-the-heck-was-that way. Apart from that, it really isn't a very complicated plot.

However, it gets very emotionally complicated. May
Gabrielle Ragusi
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was in elementary school and I never really understood what it was about; I remember that I liked it at the time, with the innocence of the child that I was (I picked it up on a school trip to the town's library).
Now I can't help but ask myself: who could have placed this book (amazing, one of my favourite, as it is) in the children's section? I don't think my parents would have let me read it knowing what it was about.
Anyway, overlooking this, back to the book. After for
Ange
Apr 04, 2014 rated it liked it
As a child, I probably would have rated this at 4. After re-reading it now as an adult, I would rate it at 2 (only ok). And so to be fair, I took the average between the two and gave it 3 stars.

This book, as you can tell by the previous paragraph, is a re-read for me. It's a fairly easy read, one that I finished in a day, both then and now. I remember really liking it as a child, since the plot twists at the end completely took me by surprise. However, as an adult, it struck me as a bit too simp
Leanna
Dec 03, 2012 added it
Shelves: from-my-past
Holy spoiler alert in the plot synopsis! Anyways, I just remembered reading this as a younger teen, and I was unprepared for the big twists. Honey's identity was really surprising. I think I may have read this more than once, trying to see exactly how the narrator had "tricked" me. I'm not going to rate it, because I don't think it's appropriate to "like" this kind of story... but it was very affecting and I think it was well-written.
Mrs. Estel
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A book I paused to ponder for awhile once I had finished it.

At the age I am now, the truth was obvious to me. Yet, dispensing disbelief as the age group it was primarily written for it would contain a huge shock. I think it is a good way to explore 'forbidden' topics with young adults (age 10-24).

I would recommend it to anyone over 12.
Cassie
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book that I have ever read. I was going through a vampire phase and checked out everything that was in the subject of Vampires in the library. I was shocked when I finished this book because it has little to do with vampires at all. This is the only book that I have ever cried during. This gets honors as my favorite book EVER.
Natasha
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story is disturbing, horrifying, and hte ending will make you cringe. But I cannot stress how horrifyingly real it all is. As someone who can relate to Carolyn, I wish I could make this required reading. It isn't a spectacular book by any means, but it's a story that needs to be told, and told often.
Andrea Cleland
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I found this book during my library's large reading product and had a sneaking suspicion about the Uncle's vampirism. My fears were confirmed after reading it. This is not a novel for vampire lovers (or young readers) whatsoever, but fans of Black Swan may enjoy it. It will stay on the shelves where I hope those dealing with sexual abuse and psychological disorders will find it.
Soobie's heartbroken
Soobie a dodici anni:
Bel libro. Racconta di Carolyn che, per non dire che suo zio la violenta, dice che è un vampiro che beve il suo sangue. Si inventa anche una sorella Gioia.
Yumna
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book a few years ago during summer break one time. I was still quite young and did not know that the book was about sexual abuse until I started reading it. The plot twist ending still gives me chills. I have a feeling that I will always remember this book.
Thalia
Apr 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
I was about 4 chapters into the book when I had to just skip to the ending to see what eventually happened because the story did a poor job at grasping my attention. Throughout the book, the context is just carolyn complaining and whining that her uncle is a vampire. I disliked it.
Lesley
Mar 20, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I thought......probably the worst book I've ever read and was totally pissed off and grossed out by the end of the book. I physically threw this book in the garbarge when I was done.
Tracey
HORRIBE Book,
Lisa Mcbroom
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Suspenful story of two sisters who are terrified of Uncle Todd. He is a vampire who preys upon them or is he a part of their broken psyches?
Anne
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this when I was in high school. It's a hard read. It's a very dark subject to write about but Cynthia Grant does it well
Jess
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen
It's only getting two stars instead of one because her intentions were good.
Timothy
I cried on the subway at the end.
Alice
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inizialmente la storiella preso però alla fine con questo fatto del vampiro la storia diventata abbastanza noiosa passaggi interessanti e idea originale ma mi aspettavo di più
Anna
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Libro terribile.
Elizabeth Lund
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent. Reminds me of Speak in some ways. Well-done treatment of a common but important subject.
So92
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-before-2015
L'ennesimo trita e ritrita sugli abusi ai danni di giovani adolescenti. Prevedibile.
Cristian
  • Weeping Willow
  • The Girl in the Box
  • My Sister, the Vampire
  • The Dear One
  • Vampire Game, Vol. 14 (Vampire Game, #14)
  • A Hero Ain't Nothin' But a Sandwich
  • What Kind of Love?: The Diary of a Pregnant Teenager
  • Jumping the Nail
  • Melusine
  • Mel
  • Sex Education
  • Midnight Hour Encores
  • Evil Returns (Vampire's Promise, #2)
  • Scumbuster (Lockie Leonard, #2)
  • Finding Daddy
  • The Undertaker's Gone Bananas
  • The Bumblebee Flies Anyway
Cynthia D. Grant is the award-winning author of "Mary Wolf" and "The White Horse." She is a popular American author who writes novels about growing up. Her books appeal to young adults who want to read stories about life in the real world. As Grant commented in an interview with Authors and Artists for Young Adults, "Since 1980 I have published ten books for children and young adults, primarily fo ...more
More about Cynthia D. Grant...