Start by marking “The Time Keeper” as Want to Read:
The Time Keeper

The Time Keeper

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  89,936 ratings  ·  9,488 reviews
In this fable, the first man on earth to count the hours becomes Father Time.

The inventor of the world's first clock is punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift. He is banished to a cave for centuries and forced to listen to the voices of all who come after him seeking more days, more years. Eventually, with his soul nearly broken, Father Time is granted his fre
Published September 4th 2012 by Hachette Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Time Keeper, please sign up.
Michael Marstellar I don't think so. It deals with some heavy topics about death and time. it centers around a teenager contemplating suicide and an old man who doesn't…moreI don't think so. It deals with some heavy topics about death and time. it centers around a teenager contemplating suicide and an old man who doesn't want to die and lengths he'll go to (medically speaking) to continue his life.

The book also focuses-in on how the pain that has been incurred upon humans from the counting of time.

The mental aspect with time and death may become too sad and too much for a 10/11 year old to deal with yet.

Don't get me wrong, the whole of the book in my opinion is uplifting, but I think your pre-teen would be better served to wait to read or in my case listen to the book until s/he is a bit older.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alaska Young no that was the cave he was in and they were running up the hill cause that was what Dor drefw on the wall

·  89,936 ratings  ·  9,488 reviews

Lydia Presley
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom has been on my excitement list for a while now. Such a great cover, an author I really enjoy, and a story about Father Time - how could I not be excited!

What I expected and what I got were two different things, however. Instead of getting an interesting, complex story about a fantastical creature, I got instead chopped bits of a story, tossed together like a bit of a human salad, and mixed all up.

This story is part Dor, part Victor, and part Sarah, but does not sp
Stephanie *Very Stable Genius*
Oh, Dor…..Dor……Dor. You silly man. What possessed you to measure time? You screwed things up for the rest of us. Now we have to BE places at certain times and DO things until the time comes when we are allowed to go home. Why did you do this to humanity? Someone should imprison you in a cave for 6000 years and make you think about what you did, and not let you out until you are truly sorry.

Wait….that is what happened.

Dor was a curious man who lived 6000 years in the past. He wanted to measure th
Betty
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-review-copy
Albom's fingers on the keyboard turn out golden prose, whether a column or a book. The Time Keeper is like a combination of precious metal. The story opens with Dor who lives four thousand years ago.

(Edited to add that a person named Sidney who has a private profile complained in a comment 9 months after I wrote this review that I should warn there are spoilers. I don't think this review does, but you can stop reading now if you wish).

back to the review... Albom's explanation of Dor's thought
Tanya
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
In the beginning, I kept falling asleep while reading this book. By the time Dor was compelled to action for his two souls, I was able to push through to the conclusion of the book. I found it satisfying as it reinforces the importance of being in the moment and being grateful for those moments, whether they are good or bad. It reinforces the value of being interdependent with those we love and care about, that we need to be open and honest and fully present for them.

I recommend this to others,
Liz
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: worth-re-reading
“Knowing something and understanding it were not the same thing.”

A short story before the review.
You know, I have a friend. A very precious one. One, who knows many parts of me better than any other person.
She, more than anyone else, knows how obsessed I am with time. Always was. I am always in time, always counting time and paying attention to it. It can be quite annoying.
She gave me the book and told me to read it, or better ordered me to read it. This friend knew what this book would d
Laurel
If I were to rate this book, I'd probably give it 2 stars. I feel bad doing that, though, so I'm just leaving it blank. It's not that it's a bad book. It's a nice little fable and has good intentions. Many will no doubt find it comforting and life-affirming. I just found it all a bit too obvious for my taste. Perhaps I'm just not one who feels I need a fable to remind me how precious our time on earth is, or how important it is to try to live in the moment. I'm all too aware of it every day.

Daniel Kite
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
For a man so seemingly pre-occupied with how little time we have on Earth and how we tend not to appreciate this amount of time, Albom ironically spends almost no time at all delving into the interiority of his characters beyond the clichéd. Dor is an interesting character on paper, but so little is put into why he has this desire to measure time. The familial and social struggles of Sarah and the devastating childhood of Victor are largely parsed over, so much so that there is little reader inv ...more
Phrynne
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
Rather quirky and unusual but still a light read, this is a story about Father Time and the man who discovered time in the first place.
I enjoyed the way it was told in short chapters which circled around three different points of view. There was humour and there was sadness and there was a lot of philosophy about life and death, but it was never deep or hard to understand.
I have not read any of this author's other (more famous) books yet but I certainly will now. This was an ideal book to read
Dianne Joy
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
That one word that made me lose it and just cry - page 220, last line, last word - "Grace."

Mitch Albom has a way of capturing hearts with every word he writes and how he writes them. This book is not quite like the other books Albom has earlier written, but it is no less good. It is just as great as his earlier works, and I'm currently deciding if maybe, for me, this has been one of his better works.

The Time Keeper is a light read. But it was still full of lessons like a typical Mitch Albom boo
Raha
وقتی خدا روزهای انسان رو محدود می کنه ، یه حکمتی پشتش هست ... اینکه ، هر روزمون ارزشمند و گرانبها باشه
Charlotte May
"Once we began to chime the hour we lost the ability to be satisfied."

3.5 stars!
Now, I love Mitch Albom! But although this one was still fantastic, it didn't hit home in the same way as The Five People You Meet in Heaven or Tuesdays with Morrie
It focuses on a man in the stone age - the first person to discover time - as penance he is forced to forever listen to the outcome of his discovery. That is - the human race constantly asking for more time.
He is sent to save two people on Earth, in ord
Mrs. Kenyon
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
Father Time was once a living man. His name was Dor and he was the first human to measure time. He lived 6,000 years ago when life and time were simpler. After a tragic illness took his wife, Dor wanted to reach the heavens and demand more time. The result of this action was the fall of the Tower of Babel and him being placed in a cave where he had to listen to any mention of time. Sarah is a girl in modern day New York. She wants time to speed up so that she can be with the boy who is showing i ...more
Britany
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
3 Lives collide in this tale about Father Time and how time affects all of our lives. Some want it to progress faster, and others want time to slow down. Many take time for granted and don't appreciate the chance that we all have to take a moment and savor these memories.

Dor's life is the main story, as his starts in the times of Babel and ends in present day. He created time and then time stole his life from him. He has a chance for freedom and has to save two lives...

Sarah Lemon, an insecure t
Dale Harcombe
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it
This is an entertaining little fable about time and how some people never have enough of it while others wish it would slow down. Dor is one who measures time and ends up in the role of Father Time. The other two main characters are Victor who has cancer and who is running out of time and Sarah who initially wants time to hurry up. Later events cause her to change her mind.
Though it was entertaining and a quick read, this Mitch Albom story didn’t quite involve me the way a couple of his other b
Lisa
Apr 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
I honestly think this is the worst book I've ever read. I liked Tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven, but I think it's safe to say Mitch Albom has officially run out of steam. The Time Keeper is supposed to be a story about a lovelorn teenage girl, and an old man who wants to cryogenically freeze himself, who are about to have their perspectives on life changed by, you guessed it, a transplanted prehistoric caveman (who for some reason speaks perfect English). Albom fills ...more
Lori Henrich
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book with great anticipation looking forward to turning each page. When I started reading I was frustrated with the style the author chose. I liked his other fiction stories and was expecting to find the same style amongst the pages. Then I found a totally different style and was disappointed. But I decided to keep going and this story is so worth the effort.

The story follows Dor, Victor and Sarah. Dor lived during the early Bible times during the time of the tower of Babel bein
Susana
(review in English below)

Uma escrita muito básica, quase parecendo dirigida a um público juvenil, sobre um tema supostamente profundo e filosófico mas tratado, quanto a mim, duma forma bastante superficial e previsível.

Uma desilusão, portanto...

A very plain writing, almost as if it were meant for young readers, about a supposedly deep and philosophical subject that was addressed, in my opinion, in a very shallow and predictable way.

A real disappointment...
thewanderingjew
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
In this advanced copy of Albom’s latest book, he once again takes a simple theme, something we all think about, and he creates an inspirational, extremely creative avenue to explore it. The book is about time and how it affects our lives from moment to moment. We are all, each and every one of us, preoccupied with its measurement. What would life be like without the constraints of time? The book encourages us to think about how simple life would be if we were just enjoying the moment we were in, ...more
Helensvale Library
Sep 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dani, kate
It's Mitch album surely it's good as his other books have been enjoyable. Expecting a great storyline with a depth of meaning and philosophy I found myself becoming increasingly agitated and depressed. Father time starts out as a young curious boy who invents how to read time and marries the love of his life only to have major life changes and ends up in a cave having to listen to people constantly ask for more time in is head. Then we follow a couple of other character storylines.....a young gi ...more
Abbey
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dor: There is a reason why God limits our days.
Viktor: Why?
Dor: To make each one precious.

Another wonderful and inspiring story from Mitch Albom :)
Tony
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this. A beautifully sensitive tale and constructed in such a way that you just don’t want to put it down.

And the moral? Tempus Fugit.

… sometimes.
Nazifa
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Average reading span for me is 2 days guys. It's freaking slow as a snail...

Anyways... This book definitely deserves a good 5 stars from me. It really opened up my mind a lil bit of how I see things now. Time is precious, time is gold. We often saw people wasting their time; claiming it was nothing but just to pass time. Yes TIME. How many words can be used to be in a sentence with time? Many; but truthfully we know nothing bout time. Nothing compared to what we've claimed before.

"Man alone me
Yassin Omar يس
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the idea and the first chapters about Dor ad Alli, then I got somewhat bored afterwards and until the end!
“With endless time, nothing is special. With no loss or sacrifice, we can’t appreciate what we have”
Kimberley doruyter
Feb 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
the ending was beautiful, but thats it.
Orsolya
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, other
The first time I read a Mitch Albom book was in my “Sociology of Death and Dying” course during my university days. The above titled course naturally suggests that we read “Tuesdays with Morrie”. Ironically enough, Albom’s latest novel, “The Time Keeper” would have easily blended into the lesson plans of my other elective, “Myths, Symbols, and Rituals” due to the fact that it is a true example of a ‘creation myth’.

If you are expecting a standard, fictional novel, then expect “The Time Keeper” t
Kaitlin
Dec 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
A waste of a cool idea, and the description is inaccurate. This is bad YA Christian fiction with insufferable characters. It's a 200-page (if you include the 100 white pages) preachy cliche. Tons of references to God's will and God's gifts. The first man to measure time is a "sinner" because...he measured time. Yes, mankind was much better off 6,000 years ago before everyone started thinking and inventing and whatnot.

Other characters include - Victor, the rich finance type who shouts things like
Učitaj se!
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
'Čuvara vremena' mogli bismo nazvati svojevrsnom modernom poučnom bajkom.

Ova kratka knjižica govori o Doru, prvom čovjeku koji je naučio kako mjeriti vrijeme i pratiti tok vremena - 'izumitelju' vremena, recimo to tako, onome koga obično poznajemo pod nazivom Otac Vrijeme.

Dor je živio u vrijeme kada se, prema biblijskoj priči, gradila kula babilonska, a njen je graditelj bio Dorov prijatelj iz djetinjstva, Nim. Dvojica dječaka koja su zajedno odrasla posvetila su se posve drugačijim životnim put
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
This was a shorter book, but it took me awhile to get through it. I’ve previously read two other Albom books (The Five People You Meet in Heaven and The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto), both of which I enjoyed so I was looking forward to this read.

The premise was intriguing - “Father Time” (the man who first begins tracking time) is trapped in a cave for 6,000 years, has to listen to humanity complain about time, then he’s sent to Earth to help two people - an 80 year old millionaire who is dy
Nastaran
برای من معمولا کتاب ها این توانایی رو دارن که باعث بشن دنیای واقعی رو فراموش کنم و یادم بره تو زندگی واقعی چه اتفاقایی میفته...
امروز قصدم این بود که خودم رو توی کتاب غرق کنم تا خیلی به این فکر نکنم که امروز یه سال کامل به سنم اضافه میشه...
از اینکه زمان مثل برق میگذره بیزارم...
و اما ارباب زمان... مثل دوتا کتابی که قبلش خونده بودم موقع برداشتنش خیلی فکر نکردم...من فقط میخواستم بخونم... و انتخابم فوق العاده مناسب امروز بود... روزی که دلم میخواست ازش فرار کنم... در واقع میخواستم از زمان فرار کنم یه
Salymar
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-read, ebooks
A two-day vacation deserves a novel to be read, so I read Mitch Albom's The Time Keeper. The story is about a man who was disciplined (I might as well use the word "penalize" lol) for measuring one of God’s greatest gift: TIME. His punishment is to teach two seemingly random people the true meaning of time. The first person is a teenage girl who wants to give up on life, and the other is a wealthy businessman who wants to live forever.

The story was able to get its message across; that TIME is pr
Did anyone find the names a little bit..odd? 21 300 Dec 30, 2018 05:32AM
Old Souls Book Club: Fear of running out of time!? Something to think about... 1 4 Nov 19, 2017 08:48AM
Death 4 29 Oct 29, 2017 05:30AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Saga no Gabai Bachan - Nenek Hebat dari Saga
  • Speak
  • Letters to Sam: A Grandfather's Lessons on Love, Loss, and the Gifts of Life
  • Sepeda Merah Vol. 1: Yahwari
  • Teka-Teki Terakhir
  • Totto-chan's Children: A Goodwill Journey to the Children of the World  (Anak-Anak Totto-chan: Perjalanan Kemanusiaan untuk Anak-Anak Dunia)
  • Anna Karenina
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume  #2
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Bangkok: The Journal
Mitchell David Albom is an author, journalist, screenwriter, playwright, radio and television broadcaster and musician. His books have collectively sold over 35 million copies worldwide; have been published in forty-one territories and in forty-two languages around the world; and have been made into Emmy Award-winning and critically-acclaimed television movies.
“Try to imagine a life without timekeeping. You probably can’t. You know the month, the year, the day of the week. There is a clock on your wall or the dashboard of your car. You have a schedule, a calendar, a time for dinner or a movie. Yet all around you, timekeeping is ignored. Birds are not late. A dog does not check its watch. Deer do not fret over passing birthdays. an alone measures time. Man alone chimes the hour. And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear that no other creature endures. A fear of time running out.” 1411 likes
“It is never too late or too soon. It is when it is supposed to be.” 686 likes