Start by marking “A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)

A Darkness Strange and Lovely

(Something Strange and Deadly #2)

Perfect for fans of Libba Bray's The Diviners and Cassandra Clare's The Infernal Devices series, this spellbinding sequel to Something Strange and Deadly delivers a mix of supernatural forces and intense romance, set against the enchanting backdrop of nineteenth-century Paris.

With her brother dead and her mother insane, Eleanor Fitt is alone. Even the Spirit-HuntersJoseph,
Published July 23rd 2013 by Harper Collins Harper Teen

To ask other readers questions about A Darkness Strange and Lovely, please sign up.
Leah Yes, definitely!!! This book follows on from the events of the first one, and reading them out of order will ruin the first book for you

Start your review of A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
Keertana
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: why-the-hype
I think it's safe to say that I've finally learned not to count my chickens before they've hatched. If I'd had to pick one book this year I was wholly confident of loving, it would have been this one. Not only were the initial reviews stellar, but I had loved Dennard's debut and couldn't imagine not feeling the same rush of emotions for this novel. Thus, color me surprised to find myself underwhelmed and unimpressed by the end of this book. ADSaL is an excellent sequel - there is no doubt about ...more
Rimsha Salam
After Reading:

Ok so clearly this one also gets the award of excellence, it was brilliant the plot, the characters everything altough I thing the author could have done a better job at hiding the villian increase a suspense a bit more, but still overall it was amazing the moment Daniel and Elanor met was perfect and I swear I laughed so hard at what Elanor said!
Check out my blogs for more reviews and book stuff: http://ramblingsofabookworm3.blogspot...

Mitch
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Something Strange and Deadly was one of those books that's a lot of fun but also could've used a bit more depth. I mean, I like steampunk, I like zombies, why wouldn't I like steampunk and zombies? - but at the same time, the plot was also extremely predictable and the same cheesy humor that made the story so engaging also made it hard to take seriously. Great in small doses, but why would I want to read the sequel? Well as it turns out, because A Darkness Strange and Lovely (great title by the ...more
Giselle
Oct 28, 2012 marked it as to-read
*Dies of pretty*
Even though this book has multiple flaws I will bring up, it possesses one quality Ive struggled to find in books lately; its entertaining.
Boredom is my worst enemy, and I did not experience it during this book.
It was acceptable, but that doesnt mean Ill stop ranting about every PNR trope in it. That's what I live for.

Trope number 1: Our MC is like that secondary character, often best friend, found in fiction, who is just there without doing anything but still people worship her. Speshul
Shauna
Ahhhhh, I need the next one now! But then it will be all over. :/ Conflicted!!!!!!!!

Daniel and Eleanor though! These two crazy kids, breaking my heart and then making me swoon... they have to be together in the last book. THEY HAVE TO. Please???! (view spoiler)

I think I loved the first one more -I'm still sorting out my thoughts as I'm a little torn on a few things overall - but this was a fantastic sequel. The stakes were much
Kassidy
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
What a fabulous sequel!!!

There's a ton of action, mystery, and suspense. I love the historical fiction setting and the supernatural elements of zombies, magic, and necromancy. There's a super creepy feel to this story and you never know who to trust. I loved all of the developments with the magical aspects and the new character that we are introduced to named Oliver! Eleanor has to really fight the war of good and evil in the real world, but also within her self. Her character grows so much!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
I have been waiting for A Darkness Strange and Lovely since the moment I finished Something Strange and Deadly Susan Dennard captured my heart and my imagination in her debut, so I was eager to see what she would do with the next book. Happily, there is no second book syndrome here and ADSaL has all the elements that made SSaD such a delight.

Without a doubt, it's the narrative voice that makes Dennard's series stand out from the pack of paranormal offerings. Eleanor is so many things: clever,
Maddie
Gosh, this is a beyond amazing book. Full review to come!

Okay, if you haven't figured out by this point that I absolutely adore Susan Dennard's books, you probably should go back and read some of my older posts.

Needless to say, I was absolutely ecstatic to receive an ARC of A Darkness Strange and Lovely by Susan Dennard. I completely devoured this book. Mainly because, it was AMAZING.

It has a slightly different feel than Something Strange and Deadly partially because of the different location
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well, that was interesting. Demons are brought into the mix. And I was iffy at first about the introduction of Oliver, since I thought he was going to be another love interest. But I was pleasantly surprised that he wasn't. In fact, (view spoiler) I also liked that Eleanor sorta went all anti-hero in this one.

It wasn't as awesome as the first book but I still enjoyed myself. Let's
Navdha
May 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
I love writing bad reviews. Call me a twisted person, but I really do. When you love a book too much, you dont have words to describe how full of awesome it is. But when you despise one, you can write a book going on about the character flaws, the plot holes, the wretched romance.. and you get the idea. What makes me sad though is writing reviews for a sequel that fails to charm me; more so when the sequel is to a book that I had really enjoyed.

A Darkness Strange and Lovely can be summarized in
Petra
Almost as good as the first one. Although a bit just like the typical middle book. A lot of drama, and stupid choices made my Eleanor that didn't seem like her at all. Still, I really liked it, and I'm really looking forward to reading the last book.
Stacee
This was perfection. It made me crazy.

Zombies. Paris. Swoons. Libraries. Evil stuff. Magic. Did I mention Paris?

Just read it.
Kaitlyn Stickley
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Eep! I can't wait to read more about Eleanor and Daniel!

Sarah Mac
3.5 stars. This was an enjoyable book that showed actual writing talent -- not common enough in YA paranormal/dystopian fic, alas. But it wasn't as good as the first.

Spoilers ahead.

I dislike recapping series plots because they're too reliant on the previous book(s) -- and this one is pretty much what it says in the blurb, so I'll be lazy & head directly to the positives.

-No love triangle. That in itself is worthy of a parade. :P The Eleanor/Daniel romance doesn't progress much, but
Nasty Lady MJ
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of The Infernal Devices
Recommended to Nasty Lady MJ by: Me (I had the best first date with the first book now though....I'm like um, okay not that hot)
Really 2.5 stars but there were moments I remember why I was into this book.

To see full review click here.

Imagine your ideal date. Rom Coms are good at showing what this ideal is. Especially Lifetime movies. I'll just give you one that's a combination of various movies: You're feeling funky in your sweatpants and Mickey Mouse t-shirt and your friend texts you and tells you she's set you up with this guy. You don't do blind dates, but there's nothing in the fridge except for a half eaten can of
Heidi
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars: A good sequel, but I struggled with the heroine.

Eleanor hurries along the busy streets of Philadelphia, anxious to complete her errands. She rubs the stump of her arm nervously, hoping to erase the phantom pain from her missing hand. It has been months since the Spirit Hunters left after she lost her hand in the zombie attack, and Eleanor is anxious to hear from them. Finally, a letter arrives from Jie. Eleanor's heart beats anxiously hoping for some word from Daniel, but
Cameron
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Daniel.

I enjoyed the additional magical elements in this one and am looking forward to starting the 3rd book.
Shelley
*Genre* Steampunk, Historical, Paranormal
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

A Darkness Strange and Lovely picks up Eleanor Fitt's story from where Something Strange and Deadly left off. Having lost her brother Elijah to the villainous necromancer Marcus Duval, her mother to a mental hospital, and her right hand to a Hungry Dead, Ellie finds herself having no place to run, or to hide from Marcus's machinations. Her friends, the The Spirit Hunters (Joseph, Daniel & Jie), have fled Philadelphia and
Rane

When it comes to personal reader's hype it's hard to deal with alot of emotions from jubilation to disappointment. A Darkness Strange and Lovely by Susan Dennard made me run through alot of emotions. Not all good and not all bad.
The writing of course of superb that I quickly zoomed through this book. Sadly, this felt like a meal that left me hungry.
Picking up months later, Eleanor has to run when Marcus the necromancer one of the foes whose started the chaos from before,starts to hunt her.
Erin Bowman
This is going to be the vaguest review ever because Susan Dennards A DARKNESS STRANGE AND LOVELY doesnt come out for another eight months still, but I cant not talk about it. The sequel to SOMETHING STRANGE AND DEADLY, this novel picks up right where the first left off. The Spirit Hunters have fled Philadelphia, and Eleanor Fitt is dealing with the aftermath. When the evil necromancer Marcus reappears, Eleanor heads to Paris via steamer to track down Joseph, Daniel, and Jie. Aboard the ship she ...more
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
Eleanor has recovered somewhat from her ordeal, but her mother has ended up in a mental hospital. When Eleanor sees Marcus, shes scared though, and knows she must follow the spirit hunters to Paris to get help.
Can Eleanor find the spirit hunters in time? And should she really be using her innate necromancer powers?

This was a really good second book in the series, and even though it had its slow moments, the ending was awesome!

I liked Eleanor again in this
Alja Katuin
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-reader
So in the acknowledgements Susan mentioned how hard it was to keep on writing this book and thus I'd like to let out a great hallelujah. I wish I didn't have to go sleep and could just dive straight back in to part three. I can't wait to read what happens next. Will they find Jie? Will she be alive? Is Ollie really dying? What will they find in Marseille? WHAT THE FUCK DID ALLISON WANT?!

right, with that being said I will get some rest. 9 hours until work starts in the morning and I will have
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Whew - Susan Dennard neatly avoids Sequel Syndrome with her second novel. I had a lot of fun with this, from beginning to end. I may review it closer to the release date, but if you were a fan of Something Strange and Deadly, chances are this sequel won't disappoint.

Also: many many thanks to the lovely Flannery for sending me her ARC. She is the best <3
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads

I loved this book even more than the first! I'm so glad I have the third to dive right into.

Review soon!
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
I am happy that I am able to finally mark this series off of my list. Well, I'm close to it but 2 out of 3 books is pretty good. I liked this but wasn't in love with it. When will publishers realize that a narrator can absolutely make or break a reader's experience? In the case of this one, the mouth breather narrator broke it for me. I cannot give anything higher than 3 stars because I could hear every single time she took a breath and it was distracting.

Minor bitch? Probably. Enough to cause
Erin Arkin
I have been waiting on this book and while at BEA almost jumped over the guard rail to grab a copy off of Susan Dennards table when I saw italas, I held back and was rewarded when my lovely friend Stacee (@bookjunkee) told me she found a copy in some magical bookstore near her. Of course, I dropped everything once I received it in the mail and OH MY GOD am I glad I did!

photo tumblr_m6uzezkl7u1rn95k2o1_250.gif

A Darkness Strange and Lovely picks up right where Something Strange and Deadly left off and this book dives right into
Lauren Stoolfire
I like where this series is going especially when it comes to Eleanor's newfound powers. The plot really keeps us busy going all over Paris even though it can be a bit clunky in its speedy scene changes. Either way I'm really looking forward to the grand finale in the next book. If you enjoy The Diviners series by Libba Bray and The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare I have a feeling this series could become a favorite.
belle ☆ミ (mybookcastle)
actual rating: 3.5

rtc
Miranda
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Eleanor frustrated me this time around with her lying and 'I know better' attitude.

That ending was awesome though.

• Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #2)
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • The Girl with the Iron Touch (Steampunk Chronicles, #3)
  • Phoenix (Black City, #2)
  • Revenge and the Wild
  • Her Dark Curiosity (The Madman's Daughter, #2)
  • Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #4)
  • The Hummingbird Dagger
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • Brilliant Devices (Magnificent Devices, #4)
  • Spectacle (Spectacle, #1)
  • The Warrior's Curse (The Traitor's Game #3)
  • Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
  • Escaping from Houdini (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3)
  • Withering Rose (Once Upon a Curse, #2)
Susan Dennard has come a long way from small-town Georgia. With a masters degree in marine biology, she got to travel the worldsix out of seven continents, to be exact (shell get to Asia one of these days!)before she settled down as a full-time novelist and writing instructor.

She is the author of the New York Times bestselling Witchlands series as well as the Something Strange & Deadly series.

Something Strange and Deadly (3 books)
  • Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)
  • Strange and Ever After (Something Strange and Deadly, #3)