Start by marking “Checkmate (Neighbor from Hell, #3)” as Want to Read:
Checkmate (Neighbor from Hell, #3)

Checkmate

(Neighbor from Hell #3)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  46,353 ratings  ·  2,200 reviews
There’s nothing worse than living next door to your childhood nemesis, except maybe being forced to share your dream project with him, being blackmailed into going along with something that was just wrong on so many levels, and having your hot cocoa stolen by the person that drove you to drink it in the first place.

As long as she has plenty of hot cocoa, a pair of pliers o
Published October 29th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Checkmate, please sign up.
Wallbanger by Alice ClaytonPlaying for Keeps by R.L. MathewsonSeduction and Snacks by Tara SivecTangled by Emma ChasePerfection by R.L. Mathewson
Funny as Hell!
2,236 books — 6,198 voters
Wallbanger by Alice ClaytonPlaying for Keeps by R.L. MathewsonTangled by Emma ChaseBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireBeautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren
Best Banter in Romance
876 books — 2,027 voters

More lists with this book...

·  46,353 ratings  ·  2,200 reviews

Start your review of Checkmate (Neighbor from Hell, #3)
♡Karlyn P♡

Yes!!! Another Neighbor From Hell!!

If you want to read about a knight-in-shining armor type hero, a kind and handsome man with sparkling bright teeth who always says the perfect thing and rescues his damsel in distress to save the day -- then don't read this book. Seriously!

Why? Because RL Mathewson tosses that cliche stereotypical romance formula out the window! What you get in the Neighbor From Hell series is a very different kind of hero: a hot guy with (most likely) food in his teeth, who sa
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of lighthearted contemporary romance
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Buddy reading for the tREEoLA collective joint review effort
Check out my collective review with friends for tREEoLA here!

A Story of Hot Chocolate

You can drink it in your car
You can drink it at a bar
You can drink it in a chair
You don't even have to share
You can have it with some cream
It is sure to make you gleam
You can smell it from afar
Be sure to store it in a jar
But for the love of all that's holy
Don't you dare steal it from Rory

Believe it or not, that was an actual summary of the book. I think I read more about one woman's lo
peachygirl
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is by far the best neighbor couple in the series and Connor is definitely my favorite Neighbor from hell!
Connor and Rory were bizarrely funny and ridiculously silly, yet so damn perfect together. And at times, real mushy.
Every single one of their fights was hilarious and the paybacks were certainly inventive.
The story behind Connor's tattoo and Rory's 18th birthday fiasco gave me palpitations (in an incredibly good way!!). This guy is a big softie when it comes to Rory. Makes me wonder why
Catarina
4 Checkmate Stars.

description
Connor and Rory know each other since kinds and hate each other pretty much around that time. Creating hell between them and around them for years, everyone just tend to kept them apart. (Expect that for some reason they always end up together in the same place.)
Now, as two responsible adults (ah ah ah), they’re not only are working together but they also are living next door to each other.
And now they’re about to find out, that there’s a very thin line between love and ha
Vi
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Connor the hero, was a bully. Right from a kid pulling on Rory, the h's pigtails until the current time. He laced her food with laxatives when they were a teenager! He routinely steals her hot cocoa in the morning because *she* likes it. WTH?! Seriously, his bullying over 20+ years is painful to read. I can't imagine why or how Rory and her family and any SANE person put up with it. Underneath, it was love? Oh please, time honored excuse doesn't make it right. She should have gotten a restrainin ...more
Aestas Book Blog
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just like with the first two, this book is another gem of a fluff read. A lighthearted, sexy, hilarious, over-the-top frenemies-to-lovers story. Pure fun!

Teasing, banter, a cocoa addiction, a bad boy, a tough girl and some seriously crazy pranks involving super glued boxer shorts, three week old fermented yogurt, laxatives, being hog tied with medical tape, being chained to a toilet, many purple nurples…. the list goes on to ‘fun’ that landed them more than a few overnight jail time and bans f
Sheryl C. Nash
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Full Review Up Now!

So... what book would make me go into full meltdown mode? This book! When i found out at the beginning of this year that R.L. was writing the third book in the Neighbor from Hell series, i died. Then when i read the teasers and realised that it featured my FAVORITE TROPE IN THE WHOLE WORLD; enemies-to-lovers, i died all over again... it wasn't pretty i tell 'ya.

Rory and Connor... what a KICK-ASS h and H!!! I LOVED reading about their early fights; you could already see what a
Mary Beth
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
RL Mathewson gave us another wonderful adventure in the Neighbors from Hell series. I loved Rory and Conner, they were both sexy and hilarious. I enjoyed the cameos from the Bradfords, and all their antics. I miss them already.
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jerks, lol
4 HOT COCOA STARS!!!!

FUN.

Love should be fun.

And that is exactly what this book is. LOVE and FUN.

Big Girls Don

Ever since they were little, Rory and Connor have hated each with a vengeance. The pranks and fights were never-ending. There was always a constant battle between the two of them, so much so that the whole town knew to stay away from them. If they walked into a room together, people would flee. But they can’t seem to stay away from each other because they secretly love to torture the other.

They say
Alexis *Reality Bites*
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is rated 'G' for Good!
4 STAR READ!
Genre: Adult Romance-Comedy

photo checkmate cover pic_zpss6ztqqec.jpg

Rory James and Connor O'Neil have been against each other ever since grade school. Connor was a bully and his number one target...you guessed it, Rory. Making her cry became a game to him because she never would. Rory is tough. And Connor, if not careful could very well be the one crying.

Total fun read! A little over the top at times but overall a good read!

FULL REVIEW TO COME!
Georgia ♥
What happens when two childhood nemeses have to work together and decide to torment one other in a whole new way?

Another Winner for R.L.Mathewson!!!

Connor O'Neil and Rory James' unique life story started in preschool and for 25 years they live to make each other's life hell. From stolen food to flat tires and superglued pants to shop bans they are notorious for their dislike and causing mental breakdowns to everyone standing in their way. So it is only hate right? Noway, sistahs.......

"But I'
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
2.5...Over the Top Humor with Belly Laughs and Belly Flops (Ouch!)

I wanted to love this story. Really! Some scenes had me grinning and laughing through childhood enemies, Connor and Rory, tumultous relationship. The story hit its stride once their arrangement began, and I was able to let go of my intense dislike of sexist Connor. The Bradfords (from previous Neighbors from Hells books) made their appearance and wore out their welcome. I laughed in their stories; I didn't need a refresher, and wa
Runell
Jul 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Runell by: Elizabeth
To say that I was disappointed with this book would be my first understatement of 2014.

After having read the first two books, which I absolutely loved, I was sure that Checkmate would be the same.

It wasn't. At all.

To say that Connor and Rory annoyed the ever-loving shit out of me would be my second understatement of 2014. Connor, to me, was a chauvinistic ass. Yes, I understand that the entire time he was in love with Rory and that he didn't want her to get hurt and that he wanted everyone to t
Karla

3 Stars! Didn't live up to the first 2 in the series!

I love this series, but this book didn't quite work for me like Playing for Keeps and Perfection did! It got stuck at one point and didn't go anywhere. Yes, it was funny at times, but where the other two books moved forward at a nice pace, this went round and round. Maybe it was because Connor and Rory were childhood nemesis and getting to their relationship seemed endless to me, lots of reminiscing. I also thought some of their revenge tacti
Syndi
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
By the third book,i am already bored with this series. The cute, immature, funny banter becomes a spinning cycle. I just can't...

Its so boring. Nothing is new. Characters acting like immature adult. Boring story line and i can almost guess the conversation. The plot is also confusing. Its like topping a plot into a plot and into a plot. And it becomes too much.

2 stars
Naksed
I am ambivalent towards "bully romances" because I was victimized by a bully or two in childhood, and that stuff really leaves indelible marks on you even when you leave it far, far, behind, and also I don't like the message it gives to young girls, that the big fat jerk abusing you really really really deep down actually likes you, so it's on you that he is acting this way.

Some bully romances that dealt with the topic realistically and sensitively, and showcased true remorse and a fair bit of
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
These books are a lot of fun and always leave me with a smile on my face. They're silly, sexy, romantic...just good-times!
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
I enjoyed the first two in this series, but Mathewson lost me on this one with the behavior of Connor, Rory, and the whole town really. I am all for over the top behavior and cliches (I am a romance fan after all), however, I just don't buy that two people would act this way--and more startlingly-- that an entire town would simply accept two people acting this way.

Kennedy
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
AJ
God, I love this series! I love it when you can pick up a book and, before you even open it, know what you can expect, and know that it’s going to be a great read. The Neighbour from Hell books are like that - fun, light, swoony and sexy, and utterly, utterly hilarious!

Rory and Connor are absolutely dynamite! They live to torment each other. Ever since preschool they have been at each other with pranks, jokes, teasing and embarrassing the hell out of each other. Their antics have resulted in jai
Ian
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rory and Connor have been the bitterest of enemies since pre-school, and when their respective building companies are awarded a joint contract to renovate a hotel sparks start flying.
...he had to touch her, had to kiss her and he did just that.
"Ow!" he winced, stepping away from Rory as he rubbed the back of his head where it suddenly throbbed. He looked over his shoulder and found all five of her brothers watching them with innocent doe-like expressions on their faces.
"It was a squirrel," Crai
A_Ryan
5 TOTALLY BRILLIANT LIFE RUINING BASTARD STARS!!!!!!

UPDATED REVIEW AFTER RE-READING

Synopsis: Enemies since the age of five, when he first pushed her off the swing and pulled on her pigtails, Connor and Rory have become notorious for their passionate antics throughout their local town. But a new business deal has forced them to work side by side, and now the power plays, mind games and the constant bickering only add fuel to the growing fire between them and their unavoidable pull towards eac
Milica's Bookshelf
"Checkmate" je jako zabavna knjiga, kao što sam i očekivala. Često sam se smejala.
Rory je jaka žena i ne trpi nikakva sra*a od Connora otkad su bili deca. Sad su oboje odrasli i imaju zabrane od skoro svakog javnog mesta zbog njihovog međusobnog prepucavanja. Kad spominjem zabrane, braća Bredford i njihove žene su se vratili! :)

Connor: "Push me and you might just find yourself locked in the trunk of a car and on a ferry headed off to Nova Scotia. . . again" he said softly loving the way she pr
Christy
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love the neighbor from hell series! This book was no exception. Rory and Connor were hilarious and so sweet! Great read!
Sofia Lazaridou
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-love
He never gave up this easily,never. Not even when they were fourteen and she may have pantsed him in front of the entire school one afternoon and he may have broken his arm in an attempt to pull her out of the air duct where she might have been hiding.He simply waited until the cast was dry and his mother was looking the other way before he snuck out of the exam room at the clinic over on Chestnut and made his way to the waiting room where he knew her father would make her wait so that she could ...more
Camille
Nov 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 22%

Repetitive
Ridiculous
Rubbish.

This is The Worst approximation of writing!

Seriously, this reads as if it has been written by a nine year old uninterested and unskilled in composition.

And the story itself is stupid. Very.
MG *Bury Me with My Kindle.. & a REALLY Long Charger*
4 enemies-to-lovers done right stars

So far, this 3rd book of the series is my favorite. Book 1 was good but had too much unnecessary angst (porridge was too hot); Book 2 had some whiny mcs (too cold); but this one has baby bear written all over it. Though this is part of a series and some characters recur, it may be preferred but is not necessary to have read the previous books in the series to enjoy this one.

Rory James refers to her neighbor and life long nemesis Connor O'Neil as "life-ruiner."
JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko
I really wish this book would have been a five star read for me like the other two books in this series. The book had so much promise however it just didn't do it for me. It started off very rocky and then finally towards the end I found myself loving it. Just not the best combination. I really wish this would have been better for me. It is a good book and I would recommend it to those who have read the series however I would suggest you stop what you are reading just to start this book. I love ...more
Lorraine.Hates.Cliffhanger.Endings!
Loved this book, Rory and Connor were a blast!!!! Having the Bradfords and their food issues turn up nicely linked the book with the previous 2 A Neighbour From Hell books. Fingers crossed that there will be more of this series.

Keri
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was pretty good. Rory and Connor have tortured each other since grade school, to the point that they have been banned from being seen together in several places in their town. But since they have houses right next to each other, they can torture each other with impunity and they do. Now they are vying for the same construction jobs. Surprisingly they have both been giving a contract to finish a hotel in 5 months and gain a bonus. But Connor has nefarious plans to take Rory's men, the contract ...more

• Friend-Zoned (Friend-Zoned, #1)
  • Wallbanger (Cocktail, #1)
  • Seduction and Snacks (Chocolate Lovers, #1)
  • Until November (Until, #1)
  • Tangled (Tangled, #1)
  • Love Thy Neighbour (Friend-Zoned, #2)
  • Under Locke
  • The Marriage Bargain (Marriage to a Billionaire, #1)
  • The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
  • To Love Jason Thorn
  • Stepbrother Dearest
  • Bully (Fall Away, #1)
  • Gabriel's Hope (Rhyn Eternal, #1)
  • Wrecking Ball (Hard to Love, #1)
  • Mystery Man (Dream Man, #1)
  • Until Nico (Until, #4)
  • Rock Chick (Rock Chick, #1)
  • Until Trevor (Until, #2)
New York Times Bestselling author, R.L. Mathewson was born in Massachusetts. She’s known for her humor, quick wit and ability to write relatable characters. She currently has several paranormal and contemporary romance series published including the Neighbor from Hell series.

Growing up, R.L. Mathewson was a painfully shy bookworm. After high school she attended college, worked as a bellhop, fast

Neighbor from Hell (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1)
  • Perfection (Neighbor from Hell, #2)
  • Truce (Neighbor from Hell, #4)
  • The Game Plan (Neighbor from Hell, #5)
  • Double Dare (Neighbor from Hell, #6)
  • Christmas from Hell (Neighbor from Hell, #7)
  • Fire & Brimstone (Neighbor from Hell, #8)
  • Delectable (Neighbor from Hell, #9)
  • The Promise (Neighbor from Hell, #10)
  • Irresistible (Neighbor from Hell, #11)