Start by marking “Un perfetto sconosciuto” as Want to Read:
Un perfetto sconosciuto

Un perfetto sconosciuto

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  354 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Sam è davvero una donna speciale. Bella e con una carriera di avvocato all'apice del successo, si è lasciata alle spalle le difficoltà dell'adolescenza trasformandosi da brutto anatroccolo in cigno. Nonostante il denaro e il potere dati dalla sua posizione, è solitaria e sposata al suo lavoro, fino a quando a Marrakech, durante una breve vacanza strappata con fatica ai suo ...more
Hardcover, Omnibus, 564 pages
Published April 2012 by Mondadori (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Un perfetto sconosciuto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un perfetto sconosciuto

Simmy
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although an interesting insight into the world of Army Wives, as I didn't have a clue as to what they had to endure while their men were out fighting, etc - I felt that the intervening storylines of the four women weren't really that important. I didn't understand what the need was to learn about their pasts or where they came from for the climax of the story. Lokko could have saved herself a lot of bother and simply wrote a short story with that ending. The climax didn't excite me at all, and I ...more
Alex Sostar
Jan 21, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My goodness, was this disappointing. It wasn't until somewhere around the 400th page that I actually started to care about a character, and the interest in her storyline was brief. In fact...most of the women's stories were lackluster, unmemorable and just galling. I would also include unbelievable, but the book left me feeling a little bit cynical, as if, of course people would behave this way. The characters almost redeemed themselves as the storyline finally picked up in the last 10 pages. It ...more
Lightblue
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Ho letto parecchi libri della Lokko e, ad esser sincera, questo è quello che mi ha convinto di meno. Sarà che ho trovato poco realistica l'ambientazione nel mondo militare... o meglio, stereotipata. I libri della Lokko si assomigliano tutti nello schema: 4 donne, ognuna proveniente da un Paese diverso che amano con grande passione, luoghi meravigliosi e vicende abbastanza ripetitive e incredibili (nel senso di irreali) ma appassionanti. Ecco qui ci sono le donne, i Paesi meravigliosi, ma è manca ...more
Valentina
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: narrativa
Nutrivo grandi aspettative riguardo questo libro, devo ammetterlo. Leggendone la trama, ho pensato subito che le tematiche affrontate fossero complicate, scottanti, ma soprattutto interessanti. Ma “Un perfetto sconosciuto” è un eterno flashback, laddove forse basterebbe focalizzarsi su pochi piccoli avvenimenti per comprendere realmente la storia.
Si raccontano le vicende di queste donne così diverse da loro, ma che la vita, come il più crudele dei giochi, finisce per accumunare come se il mondo
Nicki
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read it all, but it was very hard going and extremely long and drawn out. I was relieved to get to the end. Darker storyline than I would have expected, but way too many characters and hard to care too much about some of them. I found Sam pretty dull. Actually Edie was an interesting character who was underused and then disappears. Meaghan was probably my favorite, but again, a lot of background story that really didn't matter too much in the story. There's a lot of TMI like that. Plus I cring ...more
Smriti Brar
If, like me, you sometimes pick up books just by what you see on the cover, then this book is extremely deceptive and definitely not what you think it is. It's a story revolving around the lives of 4 women entwined in the army world. It gives you more than a glimpse of the army world. Rather, it's a deep insight. It was an okay read. I didn't enjoy it too much.
Pamela Todd
A Private Affair follows the lives of Sam, Dani, Abbi and Meaghan. All very different women with very different upbringings and backgrounds. All from different places all over the world. But one thing connects them – a man.

The novel shows a unique insight into what it is to be an Army Wife, to have a husband absent for long stretches of time and the desperate acts of lonely people.

A Private Affair is split between being told by all the women over different time periods of their lives. It shows
Amanda
Feb 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
It's hard. After having questioned the need of reviewing book covers, I have to say that this is possibly the most misleading book cover ever. It portrays a shimmering sunny read, but what is within the pages of A Private Affair is way darker. I appreciated the look at the British Army, and I found the character of Nick to be enormously sinister. I wasn't sure about the format of the novel - it was clever in that I kept turning those pages to find out how the beginning linked to the end, but I d ...more
Julie
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: passed-the-time
This was my first Lesley Lokko book and I must admit I was a little disappointed as the author had been highly recommended. Although I found the story enjoyable enough I thought that there were too many main characters which, once was plot was revealed, were not really that relevant or necessary. I agree with another reviewers comments about it being cut down to a short story and it would be as good, if not better.
My 3 start rating is maybe a little generous and should be a 2.5, I'm still prepa
Gugu
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not a fan of chicklit so when this book was selected as our next bookclub option I got quite upset. I was accused of judging a book by its cover which is exactly what I was doing, and I am about half way through and think my initial assessment of it being shallow and a glamorous version of a Mills and Boon is correct! I have decided to keep very quiet at the bookclub session and try and influence the selection process a little better!
Fortunately it is an easy-read, passes the time.
Claudia
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Mi piace il modo di scrivere di lei,e la vitalità dei suoi personaggi.
Come in ogni sua storia anche qui il punto di vista molteplice delle vicende cattura fino alla fine..forse troppo incentrato sull'aspetto della vita militare e le sue implicazioni,un'eccesso di realtà da parte di lei,troppo poco a lieto fine.
Maharet
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Il dolore si era attorcigliato intorno al suo cuore e si era assopito,aspettando l'occasione giusta per colpirla di nuovo."

Primo romanzo che leggo di questa scrittrice e devo dire che mi ha preso tantissimo,mi è piaciuto come presenta ogni personaggio,luci e ombre,passato e presente,in un gioco di intrighi in cui non sai mai cosa aspettarti.
Consigliato!!

Devine Graham
As someone who normally reads 3 books in a month, I really struggled with this book and I'm so happy it's over. I spent the first 3/4 of the book trying to get into it, I found I was unable to relate to the characters and the constant changes between Abby/Danni/Sam And Meghan were annoying. Really enjoyed the last 1/4 of the book lol
Bettina
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by one of my favourite authors. Enjoyed learning about army life and having an insight into what it's like having a soldier as a husband. I didn't like the ending though. It ended too abruptly. I wanted to know what happened to Tom and Nick. Besides that, I really did enjoy the book.
Oct 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second Lesley Lokko book having picked up Bitter Chocolate on a whim and being unable to put it down. I had high hopes for this book but I found it much more of a challenging read. Perhaps too many main characters, but something didn't sit right with me and the book frustrated me more than anything else - and by the time it really got going it then finished!
Katie
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A little more dark than Lesley's other novels. I adore the style of Lesley's writing with each chapter focusing on a different character and as the novel progresses they begin to interweave and come together. This is not a fluffy book but it's beautifully written.
Jo
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Great read...took me a while to get into it & get my head round the four main characters Abby Sam Dani & Meaghan but once I did found it very hard to put down.
Looking forward to LL new book out in next few weeks :)
Kylie Eadie
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Lokko's books but unfortunately this one was disappointing. I pushed on expecting it improve but alas it did not. There were interesting parts, but overall it was predictable and certainly not in the same league as Sundowners or Rich Girl Poor Girl.
Elsie Bryan
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst this book was superbly written, the ending frustrated and annoyed me. That is just a disagreement of plot though, in the grand scheme of things it was so well written and thought out I have to award it four stars!
Lucy McLaurin
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Janine
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed A Private Affair, it made for a great holiday read.
Kirstie
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love her books she really creates characters that you get to know

Definitely one of recommend for an easy read. A slight lull part way through knocks a star off
Helen
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this 5 stars if the loose ends had been tied up. The ending was a bit of a let down.
Kelly
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not Lokkos best work but if you like her or the genre definitely recommend.
Kim
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2011
I enjoyed this one. It follows the lives of four women and how their lives are connected in some way to 3 army officers. I will definately look out for more books by this author.
Djenii
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow
Svala
kláraði ekki
Lorna Lake
Poor ending. Big book with loads going on and tied up too quickly in the last 10 pages!
Ilaria Goffredo
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amanda
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing story line, reader is curious to find out where and how the four main characters will come together and form the complete picture.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Homecoming
  • Freedom's Land
  • Midnight Girls
  • A Hard Man to Love
  • Home for Christmas (Article Row, #2)
  • Dirty Tricks
  • Textbook Romance: A Step-By-Step Guide To Getting The Guy
  • Love and Marriage
  • Daughters
  • Platino
206071
LESLEY spent seven years training as an architect but always dreamed of writing a novel. Eight novels (and counting) later, and aside from building her own home in Ghana, she hasn’t looked back. She splits her time between Johannesburg, Accra and London, (although now she’s dreaming of a flat in Edinburgh) and counts the BA lounges at Heathrow amongst her favourite places in the world.
More about Lesley Lokko...