Start by marking “Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)” as Want to Read:
Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)

Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  656 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
When seven-year-old Amanda Chapman is admitted to hospital with acute renal failure, her parents are in despair. Their hope is renewed when Amanda is accepted for treatment in a pioneering, state-of-the-art dialysis unit in an exclusive private hospital in Glasgow, but behind the lavish hospital corridors, private rooms and friendly staff lies something much more sinister. ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Polygon (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Donor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Donor

Lisa
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical-fiction
Donor by Ken McClure is one of the best medical thrillers I have read I have just finished reading it & still trying to get my head around it. The plot was well written & was compelling from start to finish, I thought Steven Dunbar was strong & very clinical he never stopped until he found out what happened to the children & put his life on the line to do so.

Amy Chapman was diagnosed with Renal failure she was very close to death her Parents Sandy & Kate were desperate to hel
Grammar*Kitten
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-freebies
The more I read by Ken McClure, the more I enjoy his well written and thought provoking books.

I eventually gave in and decided to purchase Donor, thinking that it would open a whole can of worms; If I enjoyed it, I would be compelled to purchase the rest of the Dr Steven Dunbar novels, one after the other, until I had finished. Good news for my bookshelves (digital, of course), bad news for my bank balance.

The Character of Dr Steven Dunbar is incredibly well written; he is both human and clinica
Lance Greenfield
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Doctor Steven Dunbar is sent by the Home Office to investigate the possible sinister events at Médic Ecosse, a private hospital in Scotland. Of course, there is no doubt from the outset that the possibilities will soon become probabilities.

The two nurses who try to expose the corruptness are silenced: well, almost. Doctor Dunbar manages to get to them, but how much truth lies behind their suspicions.

There is heartbreak as parents struggle with coming to terms with their children needing organ tr
Miles
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I can’t remember the last time I sat down to read a medical based novel but I do remember the title because it had a great impact on my desire for reading in my schooldays – A.J. Cronin’s “The Citadel” first published in 1937. If you haven’t read it please do take the time to read one of the best literary authors of the 20th century - I digress! – And no I didn’t read it when it first came out!

“The Citadel” finds newly qualified Scottish doctor Andrew Manson travelling to a small mining communit
Adele Symonds
This is a really interesting medical thriller. It focuses on a new private hospital which is losing money and costing the taxpayers in government funding. The transplant unit is the only department in profit but there are concerns about 2 unexplained deaths so Dr. Steven Dunbar is called in to conduct an undercover investigation. There are 2 whistle blowers, both ex-nurses, a sub-plot of murder and a new transplant patient to protect.

The style is very descriptive and flows nicely, there are clue
Lisa
May 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book. To see that young children die after a kidney transplant is interesting in itself but to see that there is something far more cruel going on is amazing. The first chapteer grabbed me and then the book fell a little flat. I must say that the last few chapters and the ending made up for it all. I felt nervous and apprehensive for Dr. Dunbar and Amy. I was hoping another child wouldn't die. It completey immersed me in the events and I was lost in my mind as I pictured everyth ...more
Elizabeth Moffat
This would probably be a three and a half star read from me, edging towards a four. A young girl is in desperate need of a kidney transplant, but strange and disturbing things are going on in the private hospital where she is admitted. It makes a lot of statements regarding NHS versus private, and the ethical dramas of organ donation which I enjoyed. Overall, a fast paced and easy to read novel which gives you food for thought!
Diana
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Well written and entertaining. I also went to hear Ken McClure speak at my local libary last week. A most entertaining evening and so interesting to hear how he gets his ideas. His science is all knowledge and he had a wonderful laid back approach to writing and very happy that his out of print books can now be read again on Kindles, e-readers etc. I shall read some more.
Gillian
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well what a gripping story, when I started I really thought that this was another Robin Cook wannabe. How wrong was I, the twists and turns kept me engaged throughout. The human side of Dr Dunbar was very evident in the relationship with his daughter, Lisa, yet he can be so cold and clinical in the pursuit of the truth. I need to read the others to discover how Dr Dunbar develops.
Kim
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ken McClure's first in the Steven Dunbar series Donor is an easy well paced medical thriller. At times the storyline is a little far fetched. It reaches a conclusion rather too quickly and stretches the balance between fairy tale and believability a little too far for me. Having said all that it still ticks the boxes if you are looking for something to while away a lazy Sunday afternoon.
Elaine
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
# 1 in the Dr. Steven Dunbar series

This book gets more and more mysterious as it moves further into the story. It's a delight to be "reading" a book that captures the attention for so long.

At first I was disappointed to discover that I had the mystery solved before Dr. Steven Dunbar but then realized I hadn't had it figured out after all.
Pat
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid medical thriller.

Dr Steven Dunbar works for the Sci-Med Inspectorate of the Home Office (I think). He has been sent to the Medic Ecosse, an exclusive private hospital in Scotland, to investigate some rather unusual deaths in their transplant unit. But he is sort of undercover, under the guise of a forensic accountant as they are seeking more public funding to keep going.

The hospital occasionally takes NHS patients for goodwill and publicity. Two of these, young children three years apart
Fiona
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2017
My first by the author and it had me sitting on the edge of my seat throughout ! Two children dead after rejecting a kidney post transplant in a private hospital and a third about to have the same procedure . Two theatre nurses sacked for attempting to whistleblow and now the government has stepped in with a medical detective to figure out what is going on . A read full of suspense and disbelief from start to finish .
Anand
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have become an absolute fan of Ken McClure. This was his third novel that I read, and likely many more will follow.

Mystery, suspense and thrillers have come to be redefined over the years, and most novels of these genres tend to overdo every aspect of the story telling. So, unless there is 'edge of the seat' action, 'nail biting' thrills and overly complicated suspens, it won't do. This is where this novel (indeed, the author's story telling craft) is such a refreshing change. I had used the t
Jude
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband is a fan of McClure and had been encouraging me to read his books. Donor is the first Ken McClure that I read and I am happy to say, it won't be the last. McClure's writing is excellent, the pace and style all conducive to dragging you into the story and not letting you go, until the final page has been turned. The plot was believable, and the characters fully rounded.
Dr. Steven Dunbar has been called in to investigate a private hospital's dealings during a recession. Complaints by t
Danna
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Donor, but I did find myself skipping over a lot of what I thought was filler.
Although it is about a little girl needing a transplant, there wasn't very much attention paid to her.
I found the beginning to be very slow to start, and choppy at times, but the overall story was good.
Once I made it through the beginning, I enjoyed it despite my issues with the story.
Doug Lawrence
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and fast paced read, enjoyable for a change of pace after along day at work. The plot revolves around high tech medicine, transplants, stem cells etc. Descriptions are a bit thin and some plot points are a bit implausible (did it really take Dunbar so long to become suspicious of the goings on). I'd read another in the series when I needed good, fun escapist reading.

Doug
Chrissi
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book didn't take me long to read at all being on a long train journey and it being under 300 pages. It was an intriguing fast-paced story of a young girl urgently in need of a kidney transplant. The hospital that is treating her has some very strange goings on..
Kori
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot was different to other medical thrillers I've read and it was a welcome change. It was nice that the story kept you guessing but still gave you enough information to work it out yourself.

Very interesting, relatively well paced and beautifully executed.
Sandi
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I could not put this book down. I would compare his keeping you in suspense to Robin Cook. I have just downloaded the next book in the series (deception) and am beginning to read it right now.
Jack
May 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Medical thriller - international in style but set in Glasgow, featuring greedy doctors (as well as good ones) and scary futuristic scientific techniques.
Deborah
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very scary scenario.
Dianne
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys medical mysteries
Very enjoyable. This may be an addicting series.
Carol Scotman
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read...hard to put down. I really enjoyed this book and have already started reading another by the same author.
Elain
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book. Couldn't put it down finished it in a day. Cant wait to start 2nd book.
Jan Ostromecki
Easy great read. Current and thought provoking
Lorie
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Had to keep reading to find out what was going to happen next.
Aimee
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a good read I was so surprised to enjoy this book so much. Now reading no.2
Valerie
Dr Steven Dunbar works for Sci-Med Inspectorate, a branch of the Home Office. Under the pretence that he is a civil servant from London attached to the Scottish Office temporarily, he has been assigned by Sci-Med to investigate a private pioneering hospital in Glasgow, the Médic Ecosse, following complaints that two children, Amy Teasdale and Kenneth Lineham, had been given unsuitable kidneys in transplants that should have been successful but, instead, killed them. Steven Dunbar pretends that h ...more
Diane Dachota
This was a quick vacation read ($1.99 on Nook) and my first time with Scottish author Mcclure. Decent medical thriller in the order of Robin Cook's earlier work, with an interesting story but outdated medical technology, since the book was written in 1998. The book is about a little girl needing a kidney transplant, and a greedy boutique hosptial who are doing bad deeds on the side. I liked the lead character Dr. Steven Dunbar and would probably read another in the series.
Madison Mega-Mara...: "Donor" by Ken McClure 1 2 Aug 31, 2012 06:55PM
  • Cold Plague
  • Lethal Practice (Dr. Earl Garnet, #1)
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • Flawless (Nathaniel McCormick #2)
  • Landed Gently
  • The Child Taker (Detective Alec Ramsay, #1)
  • The Second Opinion
  • Winterlude (Officer Gunnhilder, #2.5)
  • Petrified (Cetin Ikmen, #6)
  • Railway to the Grave
  • Critical Condition (Angels of Mercy, #4)
  • Cold Kill (DC Laura McGanity, #5)
  • Cursed
  • Implant
  • Never Apologise, Never Explain (Inspector Carlyle #2)
Ken McClure is the internationally bestselling author of over twenty medical thrillers such as The Lazarus Strain, The Gulf Conspiracy, White Death and Dust to Dust. His books have been translated into twenty-five languages and he has earned a reputation for the accuracy of his predicitions. McClure's work is informed by his background as an award-winning research scientist with the UK's Medical R ...more
More about Ken McClure...

Dr Steven Dunbar (10 books)
  • Deception (Dr Steven Dunbar, #2)
  • Wildcard (Dr Steven Dunbar, #3)
  • The Gulf Conspiracy (Dr Steven Dunbar, #4)
  • Eye Of The Raven (Dr Steven Dunbar, #5)
  • The Lazarus Strain (Dr Steven Dunbar, #6)
  • White Death (Dr Steven Dunbar, #7)
  • Dust To Dust (Dr Steven Dunbar, #8)
  • Lost Causes (Dr Steven Dunbar, #9)
  • The Secret (Dr Steven Dunbar, #10)
“to both sides before trying the handle; it moved” 0 likes
“The plan is to marry a doctor, It's either that or become a trolley-dolly and hit on a pilot.” 0 likes