Start by marking “Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant & Piggie, #18)” as Want to Read:
Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant & Piggie, #18)

Let's Go for a Drive!

(Elephant & Piggie #18)

Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.
Gerald and Piggie are best friends.
In Let's Go for a Drive Gerald and Piggie want to hit the road. But the best-laid plans of pigs and elephants often go awry.
Published October 2nd 2012 by Hyperion Books for Children

To ask other readers questions about Let's Go for a Drive!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Go for a Drive!

Start your review of Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant & Piggie, #18)
Sophia Triad
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Gerald and Piggie want to go for a drive, but apparently they forgot that they don't own a car!
Hahahahahahahahahaha
Cute story as usual.
Melissa
There's a classic bit of writer's advice that a good ending is both surprising and inevitable. Mo Willems has this down at the DNA level; the Elephant and Piggie books always, always, always end well.

Again there's a lot of strength in the expressions on the two friends' faces and the way their bodies inhabit the pages. I read this with my 11yo, who loved the line, "A pig with a car would be silly." She cracked up and said, "But a pig with all this other stuff is okay?"

Great attention to detail
Matt
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gerald and Piggie are ready to go on an adventure, specifically a drive. As they begin to plan, they discover all the items they will need: maps, sunglasses, umbrellas... and then comes the need for actual transportation. Cue the dramatic music and the chaotic rushing around. Gerald and Piggie have hit a snag that might cause the entire process to... wait, they can always play another game. Brilliantly read by Neo, this book had some good laugh out loud moments. So pleased we found this series!
Douglas Cootey
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've been studying Mo Willems lately. What's the big hullabaloo about Mo Willems? His art's not the best. It's rather rudimentary. His colors are muted and uninspiring. His plots aren't innovative. His stories are about the sounds that animals make or fractured fairy tales, for example—subjects covered by countless other picture book authors. In fact, his plots are rather ordinary. So why is he so popular? It became my mission to find out, so I borrowed 8 of his books from the library.

This book
Stephanie
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. Bug really enjoyed it.
Jaksen
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another book my seven-year old grandson handed to me and told me to READ. He got this one and one other for Christmas and whether we read them alone or together, we smile and giggle all the way through. There's humor and silliness and these two - the elephant and the pig - get up to some rather crazy, yet simple-to-understand shenanigans. In this one they're trying to take a trip, a drive, but neither knows exactly how to go about doing so, so they get a map...

The map later re-appears in a total
Dolly
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, humor, 2012
Yay! Another Elephant and Piggie story! We read them as soon as we can get them at our local library. We just love these books and our girls love to play the different parts.

With only two speaking parts, I got to sit back and listen to our girls read the book to me. I love how Mo Willems includes lots of varying volumes and enthusiasm in his dialogue and I was so impressed how our girls used different inflections in their voice to convey these changes.

Younger children will love the repetition
Karl
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve just been flooding the Internet with Willem love over the past 48 hours. It’s dark. It’s the late Fall with snow on the ground. I have tea and some pleasant music and these books are a perfect antidote to my northern hemisphere seasonal affective disorder. Better than self medicating with alcohol.3 cheers for Elephant and Piggie !
Cheryl
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
"I am a pig. A pig with a car would be silly."
Sillier than the story itself? Not so much. But, bonus, the story also has a wise insight to share. Three, actually. 1. planning isn't always so important 2. friends are 3. imagination is, too. ;)
Brenda
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Love the interaction between elephant and pig. And this one is very funny.
Andrea
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a hilarious book that is perfect for early readers!
Crystal Bandel
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let's Go for a Drive! by Mo Willems, published 2012.

Fiction.

Picture book.

Pre-K to grade 2.

Found via Booklist, reviewed by Daniel Kraus.

Gerald the elephant has the idea to go for a drive, and his best friend, Piggie, agrees. Together, the two of them collect various things they could need for a drive--umbrellas, sunglasses, a map, and bags. When it comes time to get a car, though, neither of them has one, and the two have to find a new way to spend their day. Like other books in this series, this
midnightfaerie
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another wonderful Willems book that kept both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds fascinated. Not enough words to be even a reading level 1 book, Willems still has a way about him to bring the reader into his wonderful world. These books are ones my whole family loves. And a fellow friend on GR recently told me that the pigeon was hidden in each book and we now love to look for him too! Fun for all and a great addition to any children's library! ...more
Lauren
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I know this seems weird but I am worried that Elephant is becoming a caricature of himself. This installment was less subtle in its humor and I miss the added dimension that Willems usually includes.
Shannon Kitchen
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, animals, humor
I pretty much love every Elephant and Piggie adventure. I love Mo Willems. It's out there.
Jenny
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Love Elephant and Piggie.
Hααlεч ♥ Fιѕнεя
I love this book. My mom is a teacher and watching her read it to her class made it even better for me. I think sometimes a story is just good until it has the right story teller to read it aloud. :)
AMY
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-2
I have never seen two characters having more fun in my whole life! Mo Willems fully captures the excitement of two friends preparing for a car ride. Nice twist at the end. Kids will love it! Highly recommended Grades K-2.
Truman
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
My favorite part was when they played pirates instead of going for a drive.
Aaron
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Humans
Mo Willems in general and his Elephant and Piggie books in particular are the best things to happen to children's literature since a guy named Steve started making lists of Best Things to Happen to ______ since _______ back in the 1870s. You could look up that Steve thing or just trust that I did not make it up.

In any case, the latest adventures of Gerald and Piggie involve typically hilarious preparations for a road trip and culminate in a punchline that is utterly charming and delightful even
Erin
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, 2014, favorites
As an elementary school librarian and a mom to two young kids, I firmly believe that Mo Willems is a genius. I recently acquired this book and it has strengthened my opinion. Willems continues to solidify his place as my favorite children's book author.

The Elephant and Piggie books are a series of easy-readers. I rarely enjoy reading fiction easy-readers, and thus have a tendency to avoid doing so. In an interview with Willems, he discussed how easy-readers are known in the publishing world as
Jose
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Mo Willems' "Let's Go for a Drive!" was an honoree for the 2013 Theodor Seuss Geisel award. The cover shows an elephant and Piggie driving a mango-colored convertible with a pigeon ornament. However, this is in a though bubble above a cut-off Elephant and Piggie. The story starts with Elephant and Piggie having the great idea of going for a drive. The illustrations are simple and colorful as is the text. I think the idea is very engaging for children because of their nature to imitate adults. Th ...more
Anna
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Let's Go for a drive / Mo Willems / 2012
Genre: fiction
Format: easy/beginning reader

Plot summary: Good friends Elephant and Piggie, sharing their high spirits through song and dance, prepare for a drive. Best plans go awry when they realize they have no car.

Considerations: none
Review: (from ALA)
"Text clues in color-coded speech bubbles, white backgrounds and bold mixed-media illustrations add to the book’s appeal for beginning readers."

Section source: Geisel Award 2013 Honor Book
Recommended age
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Gerald and Piggie decided to go for a drive. They gather their various driving paraphernalia and soon have a large pile of items to take in the car. But where will they find a car?

Another hilarious installment in Willem's Elephant & Piggie series. Creating a plan is highlighted with Gerald, while Piggie goes to find all the supplies needed. Great repetition and fun ways to vary the reading style. Be sure to look for the pigeon in the back!

Reviewed from a library copy.
Ann
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Another Elephant and Piggie book! What could be better? Except this one doesn't have the odd, charming clarity and balance of the best books (There is a Bird on Your Head and We Are in a Book!) in the series. It's kind of like breaking open a pinata--it's too much bozzaz. But even if the story doesn't hit the target, there is almost nothing more pleasurable than watching Gerald and especially Piggie pull faces. ...more
Morgan
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book makes me miss doing storytime! It is right up my alley! I might just have to put together a kit in case I ever have an emergency school visit. Map, sunglasses, umbrella and suitcase. What a fun book!
DivaDiane
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another delightful Mo Willems book. My son adores Elephant and Piggy (so do I) and he loves cars, so I knew he'd love this one. He's learning to read, so it's perfectly at the level where after one read through with me, he could read it to himself. And so funny! ...more
Christine
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Elephant and Piggie are awesome.

This book is fun to read aloud, as it's fun to emote for Elephant and involves lots of yelling, often in a sing-songy voice.

Not recommended for right before bed =)
Jenn Swanson
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Elephant and Piggie plan on going for a drive but first they need to gather a few things. Well, a lot of things. My daughter thought this book was funny and seemed to enjoy it a lot. Would recommend.
Kyra Fowler
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another fun book by Mo Willems. This would be an excellent choice for Reader's Theater. ...more

• The Good for Nothing Button (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #3)
  • Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
  • It's Shoe Time! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #4)
  • The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • Pete the Cat and the Bad Banana
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • A Pig, a Fox, and Stinky Socks
  • Pete the Cat: Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • The Doghouse
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • 10 Little Rubber Ducks
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
  • The Quiltmaker's Gift
  • Pete the Cat Saves Christmas
  • Curious George Goes to a Chocolate Factory
  • Pig the Stinker
  • Pete the Cat: A Pet for Pete
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)

News & Interviews