Start by marking “Down the River” as Want to Read:
Down the River

Down the River

"Be of good cheer," the war-horse Edward Abbey advises, "the military-industrial state will soon collapse." This sparkling book, which takes us up and down rivers and across mountains and deserts, is the perfect antidote to despair.

Along the way, Abbey makes time for Thoreau while he takes a hard look at the MX missile system, slated for the American West. "For 23 years
Published January 30th 1991 by Plume Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Down the River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down the River

Start your review of Down the River
Susan Klinke
Edward Abbey was not a politically correct environmentalist. He was known to drive around in his shiny red gas guzzling Cadillac throwing beer cans out the window, justifying it by saying that the roads were the real pollution. He frustrated both conservatives and liberals with his views and actions, but his anarchist spirit, appetite and love of the desert Southwest could not be hemmed in by the rigidities of either party. (Although he once said "It is better to be a knee jerk liberal than a ...more
Jack Waters
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
The wilderness needs no defense--only more defenders. Quite so, Ed. Abbeys essays survey the wide territory of his loves and hates -- from rafting trips down the river to things being sold down the river -- armed with his brashness and wit.

Abbey first delves into the work of renowned naturalist Henry David Thoreau, he learned to know his world as few ever know any world.

On West Desert Missile Experiments: One lunatic armed with a rusty ax can create a respectable amount of terror on any decent
Kerri Anne
This is my first-ever Abbey. Even I find that hard to believe, save for knowing myself well enough to know I typically steer clear of any author (or book/series) that's too overly hyped, and so I was hesitant to dive into Abbey, wondering where he'd fit on my beloved outdoor lit spectrum of Annie (Dillard) to Wendell (Berry). This is one of those books I wish I would have found so many years ago, but the timing, as it seems to be with me and books as of late, is stunningly perfect. First ...more
Mike
Jan 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Number 2 in the river reading series for me. I was expecting this to be better than it was, particularly given how much I enjoyed Desert Solitaire. The book is a collection of essays, most of which have to do with rivers (but not all). It's the kind of compendium that seems like those albums rock stars used to release when they were just trying to run out their record contract: cobble together some b-sides or phone in the performance and then hand the tapes over to the record company to fulfill ...more
Matt
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
2016 review:

So, Abbey. I'd read Down the River before, and I'd read Desert Solitaire, and I'd read Black Sun, and my impression had always been roughly the same: A great deal of shouting, a great deal of telling, and not nearly enough showing. He's an angry man, a sad man, a broken man, and that's what's reflected in his words - not the scenes as much as how he wants you to feel - how he feels - about those scenes.

Kerr very much enjoyed Down the River when she recently read it, regularly reading
April
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
a great read, it's been a while since reading Abbey and he is so great! I can always count on him to make me feel like a hypocrite though, really feeling like I need to step up and take more action for this earth, also I would like to float all those rivers.........
Thomas O'Malley
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book. Read Desert Solitaire. Read Edward Abbey. It's like coming home. You'll find what you're looking for. I promise.
Grace
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-southwest
I like Edward Abbey the more I read him. this is only the third book Ive read of his, but I want more. and more after that. his love of the desert southwest and his disdain for authority and progress at the expense of wild places are sentiments I appreciate and share. I really didnt have too much interest in the desert before reading Abbey but Im becoming obsessed, though Ive never seen these places. his passion for and defense of wild places are incredibly infectious. while I didnt love every ...more
Naia
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essay, 2017
"There will always be one more river, not to cross but to follow. The journey goes on forever, and we are fellow voyagers on our little living ship of stone and soil and water and vapor, this delicate planet circling round the sun, which humankind call Earth"
Lou
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"How much Wilderness is enough? And what is it good for anyway? Who needs it? As they say in Moab, Utah. We might answer these questions with counter questions. How many cities are enough? How large a human population do we really need? How much Industrial Development must we have to be content? " these questions and more are addressed in a well-written Style about a topic that is dear to my heart and anyone else who is concerned about the environment. After finishing I gave it 5 stars: well ...more
Ryan Lawson
Oct 08, 2008 rated it liked it
I always enjoy reading multiple works by the same author. I think one of the most gratifying things about doing this is being able to see the author mature as well as having the pleasure to bear witness to their improving writing style. There is nothing better than evolution when it comes to writing.

So, in comparison to Desert Solitaire, Down the River is an improvement. I hesitate, though, to say a major improvement.

Abbey's emotions are not as high in this book. He actually uses tact in his
Kurt
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was a little hesitant to read something else by Edward Abbey. I had read his masterpiece, Desert Solitaire, and I consider it perhaps my all-time favorite non-fiction book. Wouldn't anything else by the same author prove to be only a let down? Fortunately, this one was great -- not as good as Desert Solitaire, but certainly not a disappointment.

A collection of essays on travel, adventure, and nature -- with copious spatterings of his personal musings on civilization, politics, and life -- Down
Mark
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
A collection of essays, mostly about rivers and Abbey's experiences with them. Other topics of his essays involve western ghost towns, tribal sponsored foot-races in Hopi land, meeting a bear in the mountains of Arizona. The underlying themes however are all about embracing wildness, rejecting the wholesale development of our wild places for "paper profits" and the true home of the human spirit - wilderness! The human race has been tilling the soil and stacking bricks on top of one another to ...more
Patrick
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book of essays by abbey. I have previously read "The Monkey Wrench Gang" which was a cool fiction about a group of people who become radical environmental activists in the desert southwest and thoroughly enjoyed it. I just got back from a Grand Canyon rafting trip and figured who better than Abbey to read while on the river. It was interesting reading Abbey's non fiction. He writes very well and describes nature quite beautifully. He is fervently anti big business, big ...more
Eric North
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wrote a long, well-thoughtout review of this book, but pressed the wrong infernal key on my keyboard and switched webpages (curse ye computational device!). Instead of weakly replicating the former paragraphs of prodigious intelligence and eloquence, I'll just put this quote here:

"It seems clear at last that our love for the natural world--Nature--is the only means by which we can requite God's obvious love for it. Else why create Nature? Is God immune to the pangs of unreciprocated love? I
Megan
Abbey is a controversial figure, but no one can deny his place in America's canon of writers. His distinctive voice and personality roll off every page. I didn't agree with all his positions, but that doesn't matter - his life and actions and storytelling don't require it. I look forward to reading more of his work.
Brendan
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While not as breathtakingly awesome as Desert Solitaire, this collection of Abbey's nonfiction writing is just as passionate, readable and enjoyable. With the river running through the book as a main theme, these essays flow easily into one another, turning the entire book into one decent river voyage. As with any of Abbey's nature writing, I would highly recommend giving this a read.
Geoff Balme
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
More from a favorite American, environmental protection curmudgeon and entertaining story-teller. All I want to do now is float downstream with Thoreau and Abbey quotes going through my head. There's something else here, an inspiration for civil disobedience possibly, but certainly plenty of fuel for getting our own spiritual fires burning.
Jeff
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant - genius - amazing - in other words, typical Abbey.
Rachel
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wilderness-lit
Bought this from Booked Up in Archer City, Texas, which is owned by Larry McMurtry. It seemed fitting to buy one curmudgeon's book from another.
Nicole
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: outdoor
Part III: Places and Rivers was the best section of this book. Overall, an enjoyable read. I enjoy Abbey's sarcasm and wit, as well as the descriptions of the west.
Kasey Lawson
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
But one exception remains to the iron rule of oligarchy. At least in America one relic of out ancient and rightful liberty has survived. And that is - a walk into the Big Woods; a journey on foot into the uninhabited interior; a voyage down the river of no return. Hunters, fisherman, hikers, climbers, white-water boatmen, red-rock explorers know what I mean. In America at least this kind of experience remains open and available for all, democratic. Little or no training is required, very little ...more
Amanda
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite Abbey bookand actually maybe my least favorite Abbey book so fair. A handful of the essays were very tangentially related to rivers, if related to rivers at all. At times, it felt like Abbeys editor had a length requirement for the book, so Abbey found more essays to include.

Otherwise, his essays were (and always are) very thought provoking and entertaining. It was especially great to read next to Big Tesuque river in Santa Fe and the White Mountains and Mogollon Rim of Arizona.
Greg Marcinkowski
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Quintessential Abbey. I think this is my 5th book of his now, and after every one I feel like I need to step away from him and his desert sermons. But then after a break, I am always drawn back to his writing. I appreciate his blunt, condescending, cynical style, and there is no doubt about his love of the west. I smile just thinking about how he would describe our current administration and the state of our public lands.
Jordan Conerty
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fine read for Abbey fans familiar with The Monkey Wrench Gang and Desert Solitaire. The essays jump around in subject matter but remain constant in tone; Abbey's observational snark is unmistakeable and unrelenting. This book will make you want to go on a river trip - and you should before it's too late, says Abbey. Also, stick around for the review of Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It's a gem.
Lee
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can not go wrong traveling with Abbey as writes about his adventures and appreciation of Redrock and River experiences in Utah. His vivid descriptions, especially if you share his love of outdoor experience are mesmorizing.
Alan
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Abbey was a racist, a misogynist, a sexist. All the -ists, he was one. Makes you want to punch him in the throat.

But an amazingly brilliant writer.

Bonus: his friend's review of Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Worth it just for this!
Nikki
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I've heard this reading was better than Desert Solitaire, but I don't think that was the case. The essays aren't very united around a common theme, and most of them, while discussing important subjects, seem rushed in their composition.
Sitting Bull
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite of his collections, but pretty darn good (it's Cactus Ed after all).
Chuck Herrera
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There will always be a 1492. There will always be a Grand Canyon. There will always be a Rio Dolores, dam or no Dam. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Exploration of the Colorado River and Its Canyons
  • Annapurna: A Woman's Place
  • Thirst: 2600 Miles to Home
  • Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains
  • The Oatmeal 2016 Wall Calendar: How To Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
  • The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea
  • The Double Helix
  • Red: Passion and Patience in the Desert
  • Polar Dream: The First Solo Expedition by a Woman and Her Dog to the Magnetic North Pole
  • Climbing Free: My Life in the Vertical World
  • K2: One Woman's Quest for the Summit
Edward Paul Abbey (19271989) was an American author and essayist noted for his advocacy of environmental issues, criticism of public land policies, and anarchist political views.

Abbey attended college in New Mexico and then worked as a park ranger and fire lookout for the National Park Service in the Southwest. It was during this time that he developed the relationship with the areas environment

News & Interviews

“Modern men and women are obsessed with the sexual; it is the only realm of primordial adventure still left to most of us. Like apes in a zoo, we spend our energies on the one field of play remaining; human lives otherwise are pretty well caged in by the walls, bars, chains, and locked gates of our industrial culture.” 6 likes
“Our culture runs on coffee and gasoline, the first often tasting like the second.” 5 likes