Start by marking “A Dog Called Homeless” as Want to Read:
A Dog Called Homeless

A Dog Called Homeless

Praised by Newbery Medal–winning author Katherine Applegate as "graceful" and "miraculous," this Schneider Family Book Award–winning novel tells how one girl's friendship with a homeless dog mends a family's heart.

Cally Fisher knows she can see her dead mother, but the only other living soul who does is a mysterious wolfhound who always seems to be there when her mom appea
Published September 4th 2012 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published April 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Dog Called Homeless, please sign up.
Kim
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Shadowdenizen
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Even though I don't normally go for "Heartwarming/Feel Good" literature, I'll agree with the majority of reviewers on this one.

This book really tugs at your heartstrings, in the best possible way.
Bhavesh Bhimani
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book review: A Dog Called Homeless by Sarah Lean

Have you ever lost someone close and have not been able to recover from their death? Do you love dogs? Are you looking for a warm, feel-good and beautiful little book to read? Then 'A Dog Called Homeless' by Sarah Lean is for you.

I had been struggling of late with a reader’s block, especially with fiction books. But this book, thankfully, found me at the right time.

This is a beautiful and quiet little story about a girl named Cally Louise Fisher w
Susan
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I’m not sure how I missed this quiet story about sweet Cally who is trying to deal with the death of her mother, but I’m so glad I finally picked it up. Cally stops speaking as a part of a class fundraiser but quickly realizes that maybe not talking is exactly what she needs to do for awhile. This story will be one I re-read many times just for the pure enjoyment of reading. A beautiful story of family, loss, and belonging that shouldn't be missed. Most definitely deserving of the 2013 Schneider ...more
Ruby Doherty
i thought this book was really good but quite sad :)
Dee Dee G
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Years ago my late grandmother had a dog she named homeless lol. When I saw the title of this book when I was searching good reads for recommendations I was shocked. Who else would come up with a name like that for a dog? 🤦🏾♀This was a very nice book. It flowed well and everything came together in the end. ...more
15TwidellG
Quite good very emotional
Michele Knott
What a heartprint book. I knew by page 6 I wanted to jump in and help Cally. Or put my arms around her and hug her. Sarah Lean did a great job crafting the characters of Cally and Sam. What a gem.
Phylisha Stone
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book about grief and how the loss of a loved one can tear a family apart. This book is a wonderful read not just for kids. Highly recommend.
Carol
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Read: Cally Fisher saw her mum bright and real and alive. But no one believes her, so Cally's stopped talking. She hasn't been talking. She has not spoken for thirty-one days. A mysterious wolfhound always seems to be there when her mum appears and now he's started following her everywhere. But how can Cally convince anyone that Mum is still with them, or persuade Dad that the huge silver grey dog is their last link with her.

This is a very tender book. Her mother died about a year earlier
Nuweira
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why did I decide to read this book?
I decided to read 'A Dog Called Homeless' because I read about 2 chapters in the past and never finished it. I have also heard very good things about the book and decided to read it.

Why did I like it?
I liked the book because it was so heart-warming and a little sad and had quite a bit of suspense which really engrossed me and kept it glued to my hands.

A thing I learned:
You can communicate with people by tapping their hand.

A character that interested me:
Jed-Jed
Yewon kim
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the one girl who doesn't have a mom, she got kicked by her best friend she can see the ghost of her mom?????????? and dad can't see. will she persuade the dad?? and it shows one girl name cally fisher, and one gray dog's friendship.
Jocelyn
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with my 9-year-old son in an effort to expand his reading repertoire (currently his choices are based on how many illustrations are on each page).

It kept his attention! He's not used to reading a book on deep issues like losing a parent, homelessness, and children with disabilities. I'm so glad we had this experience together.
Michal
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THE TEARS. This book made me ugly cry.
Ann
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
By its own measurements, this book is just about perfect. It is the 2013 Schneider Family Book Award Middle School winner. This little-known award from the ALA "honors an author or illustrator for a book that embodies an artistic expression of the disability experience for child and adolescent audiences."

I had such a feeling of dread that Wonder, by P. J. Palacio, was going to win this award and possibly a Newbery Honor this year. I didn't review that book on Goodreads, because I knew I'd be pi
Kaleigh
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I personally loved this book. Wonderfully written and very emotional. It is about a girl named Cally Fisher whose mother passed away and she can see the ghost of her. And the only other creature that that can see her mother is a grey Irish greyhound that appears whenever the ghost of her mother appears. I highly recommend this book.
Kara

School Library Journal
( December 01, 2012; 9780062122209 )

Gr 4-7-Cally Fisher hasn't spoken for 31 days. As she explains in the prologue, "Talking doesn't always make things happen, however much you want it to." She knows that talking won't bring her mother back to life or keep her dad from selling their home in exchange for a small apartment so what's the point in saying anything. But when her mother appears one day wearing a bright red raincoat and the
Miranda Jones
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was not what I was expecting when I first read the title. I was somewhat confused when I read the introduction about the main character not talking for thirty one days straight. It made me interested to read the book to find out what the reason may have been. It was sad to find out that the young girl’s mother had died. The author doesn’t explain how the mother died right away in the book, so it made me interested to keep reading to find out. It was somewhat magical and comforting to k ...more
Linda
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-ya, read-2013
I just had a few pages left and I put them off for a whole day. I didn’t want the story to end! This is a wonderful book that centers around Cally Fisher, whose mother has died in an automobile accident, but the father seems to need to halt all memories of her in order to survive. Cally has her own struggles at school, often getting into trouble, but takes on a challenge of a “silence” day to help raise money for a charity. The problem is, she stops talking after the challenge. Also during this ...more
Donna
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mock-newberry
Really good - sad, lighthearted, realistic. Cried through much of it. Good resolution at the end.

Beautifully written, heartwarming, emotional rollercoaster of a story about Callie who decides to stop speaking until she can convince her father and brother to talk about their dead mother. The family is still grieving over the accident that killed Callie’s mom a year ago. The father and brother are trying to deal in their own way – which involves not talking about her and “moving forward.” Callie k
The Reading Countess
Sarah Lean has written a sensitive story about a young girl who desperately wants to mourn the untimely passing of her mother but who can't because her father always silences her questions and memories. So when a school-wide contest to see who can be quiet for an entire day in order to donate to a worthy cause happens, Cally gets the bright idea to continue her self-imposed silence for days that run into weeks. She is sure she sees her mother around town, but of course, her dad doesn't believe h ...more
Stephanie
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked this up because I'm trying to read some dog themed books to tell my fifth graders about next week, but I was pleasantly surprised that this is more of a family story than a dog story. Callie and her father and brother have been struggling to go on since the death of her mother a year earlier. Homeless has a role in bringing them back together, but this is much more about Callie reaching out to her father, who has become almost a stranger to her. It's a gentle but powerful story, and it ...more
Ms. B
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, childrens, fiction
Beth Bonini
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting a lot from this book, but it surprised me by being sad and sweet and beautifully written. It pulls out all of the stops in terms of being heart-jerking: a dead mother, a withdrawn father, a young girl who refuses to speak, having to move house, a deaf/blind boy, a homeless man, a lost dog. But despite all of these elements, it manages to be honestly affecting. The mystery of the dog, "homeless," is resolved in a particularly satisfying way.
E
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I weren't sitting at my desk right now, trying to pretend to be a normal person, I would be bawling my eyes out. That's not to say that some tears didn't escape, anyway.

This book was so, so beautiful, graced with quiet, gentleness, and love. I feel as though my heart was wrung out until it was empty and then filled to overflowing. This is one of those books that I wish everyone in the world could read. It's that special. I don't know how else to convey how it makes me feel.
Nancy
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
What a dear sweet story! A quick read with short chapters that gather you in. Lovely characters. A young girl who has lost her mother to a car accident stops talking. This is her story and that of her family and friends and an Irish Wolfhound named Homeless. I was really touched. It had me in tears.
Jana
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My students & I were riveted and very involved in this story. I can only say I teared up a couple of times while reading this aloud and no one said a word. They were totally committed to these characters and their story. I heartily recommend this story to adults and students alike. You won't regret it. You will savor it.
Gina (My Precious Blog)
More like 4.5 stars!!! What a powerful and moving little read about a girl searching for her voice and so much more. I really enjoyed reading this book, it was an emotional ride, the perfect fit for dog lovers and people lovers. Full Review to come closer to the Pub Date.

My Precious Blog

thecallawayfam.blogspot.com
Catherine Linka
This book has been the sleeper hit of my Advance Readers Club of 5th and 6th graders. It deals with some difficult themes, death of a parent, depression, a child going mute, a neighbor child who is blind and deaf--however, this story is surprisingly uplifting. And an added bonus--the dog does NOT die.
Becky
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A year on from the death of her mother and Cally and her family are still grieving. Cally is sure she sees her mother when they visit her grave but no-one believes her. A mysterious dog seems to keep turning up too. Then a sponsored silence carries on...

Another great story about a young girl with a troubled heart.
Mississippi Library Commission
Beautifully written book about a young girl whose life is turned upside down when her mother dies. Great character development--especially liked the protagonist Cally and her new friend Sam. Highly recommended.
Mystery 1 2 Oct 12, 2015 03:50PM

• Kindred Souls
  • Chained
  • On the Road to Mr. Mineo's
  • Twelve Kinds of Ice
  • Strongheart: Wonder Dog of the Silver Screen
  • Dash (Dogs of World War II)
  • The Center of Everything
  • Summer of the Gypsy Moths
  • Back to Front and Upside Down
  • Double Dog Dare
  • Because of Shoe and Other Dog Stories
  • Laugh with the Moon
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Wild Wings
  • The Year of the Baby (Anna Wang #2)
  • The Mighty Mars Rovers: The Incredible Adventures of Spirit and Opportunity
  • National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar!
  • Little Dog Lost: The True Story of a Brave Dog Named Baltic
My fascination with animals began when I was aged 8 and a stray cat walked in the back door and decided to adopt me. As a child, I wanted to be a writer and used to dictate stories to my mother, but eventually I bought a laptop and decided I could type them myself. I live in Dorset and share the space around my desk with two dogs, Harry and Coco. MA in Creative and Critical Writing from University ...more
“It was nice that he remembered. He was so forgetful these days. He forgot he had to do the ironing. He forgot to shave. He forgot to pay the phone bill, and it took weeks for them to connect us up again. He was just like a raggedy old bear still sleepy from hibernating over winter.” 0 likes