Start by marking “Mossad: The Greatest Missions of the Israeli Secret Service” as Want to Read:
Mossad: The Greatest Missions of the Israeli Secret Service

Mossad: The Greatest Missions of the Israeli Secret Service

The Mossad is widely recognized today as the best intelligence service in the world. It is also the most enigmatic, shrouded in secrecy. Mossad: The Greatest Missions of the Israeli Secret Service unveils the defi ning and most dangerous operations that have shaped Israel and the world at large from the agency's more than sixty-year history, among them: the capture of Adol ...more
Published November 6th 2012 by Ecco (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mossad, please sign up.

Hanan Kat
Sep 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
I have two problems with this book. The first one is that it's way too James Bond-y, it's not an objective book at all, it sensationalizes the "missions" to the extent where you just feel a lot of things are made up. Yes, the gist of the stories might be true, but too many descriptions of who felt what and who thought what and who whispered what make it look like a work of fiction straight out of the author's mind.

The second problem is the hypocrisy of this book! At the end of the day, let's no
Nat
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, nonfiction
The dirtiest actions should be carried out by the most honest men.

I've been eyeing this book, sitting patiently on my library shelves, enough visits to finally peak my interest, but I knew that lugging this beast of a book home was commitment enough, so I waited for a sign and it came that same week when my mother mentioned the movie The Debt. And, oh, what a racing read! No thriller has been as nail-biting intense as the recounting of these Mossad missions.
The Mossad is widely recognized toda
Supratim
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Being a lover of spy fiction I have across Mossad in many thrillers. All these novels & movies would portray Mossad as the most lethal secret service in the world. Many online articles also make the same claim. When I learnt about this non-fiction book which claims to tell the stories of the greatest missions of the agency, I knew I had to get the book.

I was expecting that the book would probably throw light on the spectacular success stories of the agency. But, as it turned out the book als
Nikunj
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There is no doubt that 'Mossad' was and is probably one of the best secret service agencies in the world at present. After reading Start-Up nation I became a fan of Israel but now I salute their spirit, their patriotism and their talent in every sphere they wish to engage. Though some of the stories may look like movie pick ups we should remind ourselves of the old saying-"Truth is stranger than Fiction". If you wish to pick something enthralling, scintillating and titillating the secret fighter ...more
Cassidy Lowe
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a nonfiction book written like a spy novel. The organization of the book is by covert mission which makes it very easy to pick up and read a chapter at a time and put back down. I usually wanted to read the next though!

The most remarkable thing about the Mossad in my opinion is that they extend their protection to Jews all over the world, not just from Israel. I found it remarkable that they risk their lives for missions that might not sound that important. For example rescuing the "Syr
Sumit RK
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mossad, the formidable Israeli Intelligence Agency, needs no introduction. It is widely regarded as one of the best Intelligence agencies in the world. This remarkable book documents the amazing and controversial events in the history of Mossad. Well documented and authoritative, Mossad is a collection of 21 true stories about operations conducted by Mossad since 1948 against many of Israel’s most determined enemies. Without going into the politics & morality of some of the actions, I would ...more
Jean
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is written more like a spy novel than a dry history book. The authors tell the stories of the more famous and well known escapades of the Mossad. The Mossad is recognized as the best intelligence agency in the world. The authors tell the story of the most famous and well justified mission of the kidnapping by the Mossad of Adolf Eichmann in Argentina and bringing him back to Israel to stand trial for war crimes. Bar-Zohar tells about the bombing of the Syrian nuclear reactor and the ass ...more
Apratim Mukherjee
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There is no way the book deserves less than five stars as Mossad it self is a five star secret service.As the pages are turned,the book describes execution of Nazis,PLO members,Hamas and Hezbollah agents etc.The book is well written and better than many spy novels. In my opinion,Mossad agents are better than fictional character of James Bond.
Priya
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Its like reading a 007 thriller - only that this is real! Simply love the spirit of Israelis.
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Mossad: The Greatest Missions of the Israeli Secret Service by Michael Bar-Zohar and Nissim Mishal is a non-fictionbook by Israeli journalists Michael Bar-Zohar and Nissim Mishal. The book recounts some of the great successes and failures of the secret Israeli agency.

The book is divided into twenty two distinct chapters, each one a story of its own. The operations range from the complex assassinations of Syrian general Muhammad Suleiman, finding and assassinating rogue scientist Gerald Bull(he w
Mohamed
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
let me start by explaining how I think. I believe that every nation/ Country/ Culture... etc.. has the right to defend itself and do what is necessary according to their point of views.

if you like espionage stories, then its a good, light reading and will keep you busy until you finish it. However, being a book about the shadow world and the dark operations, you can't be sure that any of its stories are accurate or true and maybe if you are of a national that one of the operations took place aga
Shivani Palekar
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mossad is a fast paced, thrilling work of non-fiction that gives the reader a glance into the seemingly impenetrable, censored world of one the most powerful secret service agencies. It is divided into 22 distinct chapters, covering several operations from the kidnapping and execution of the Nazi - Adolf Eichmann to the Israel sponsored emigration of Ethiopian Jews. A must read for anyone interested in the world of espionage - the book not only covers the greatest successes of the agency, but al ...more
Rohit Enghakat
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
The book is well researched and gives an insight into the Israeli agency's operations. The book is divided in 21 chapters each a different operation undertaken. Each of the story reads like a thriller and I enjoyed the book tremendously.
Pramodya
I’d actually like to give 3.5 stars
This was a really good read. I have to say that I learned loads of stuff from this book. It brushes over most of the elite sections and leaders of mossad and most of their big operations.

I like that the authors highlight both the victories and failures of the past operations of mossad. But I would have liked it if it was written with more depth. Some chapters cover particular operations with many details and researched information. But some chapters fell short
Abdul Basith
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. By seeing the title one may include that book only deals with successful operations of missed. But this book also deals with several failures.
One chapter is amusing when failed operation meant that Mossad has to save the Life of the enemy whom they intend to kill.
Very neatly written and highly recommendEd to those who love spy and action books
Donna
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I have read a few books describing the work of the Mossad and have always been impressed with their determination to accomplish what is necessary to protect their country and people from terrorism and war.

If you want more detail, read books about individual operations. There are many. But this book presents an overview of several major operations with enough detail to be interesting and exciting enough to not want to put the book down. Unlike a book, however, these operations actually happened.
Sanjana
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5.

This book reads like a spy novel, but also not because instead of building up, it includes short stories that effectively describes the potency, lethality of Mossad; the secret service of Israel. It includes several high-profile missions and assassinations, some of which are pretty efficiently and effortlessly ordered and carried out.

The different branches of the organization and the changing 'ramsads'/heads of Mossad may prove to be confusing, does not in any way take from the nerve of th
Varun
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
The book is badly written with most of the stories and opinions being one-sided. When an Israeli was assassinated, it is described as an 'act of terrorism'; when the assassin was an Israel it is a 'necessary move to protect Israel'.
The authors try to spice up the story and make it sound like a spy novel with unnecessary, and often cumbersome, detail -- and fail quite terribly. Covert operations, as anyone who watched 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' would know, are nothing like an Ian Fleming book.
T
Deepthi
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was equal parts fascinating and horrifying. You can feel the thrill of operations being precisely planned and executed and you almost feel like a participant. However, the ease with which lives are taken, borders crossed and identities changed makes it all a little scary. On the whole though, a great read.
Thejas
Apr 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Mossad - Bollywood style

I wrote a spy novel when I was in my teens. Growing up on Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne series and super technical Tom Clancy's books, I was very confident that I could write a bestseller with my made up knowledge about inner workings of the CIA. But my hero had to be Indian as I presumed the American spies to be devoid of emotions and drama (also my made up knowledge about American culture was not deep enough to make up a complete character). But I was fascinated by Mossa
Sandeep Bhat
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book giving rare sneek-peaks into the functioning of an intelligence service. The MOSSAD, pitted as the best intelligence service in the world, story erupts into violent imagery and strategic planning to achieve its objectives. The books gives a detailed accounts on I many covert operations and the Ramsads who headed it. A must read for an interesting perspective from the best intelligence service in the world.
Dattatreya Kugve
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of Mossad and Israel then you will enjoy this book. I knew about few of daring missions of Mossad like capturing Adolf Eichmann and penetrating Syrian government by famous Mossad agent Eli Cohen. Wanted to know bit more about some of the famous Mossad operations in detail so took this book.
First few chapters disappointed me as they seemed like mere collection of some news paper reports with not much detail. But starting from Eichman's chapter book gets interesting and gets into
Yash E
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread
After finishing this book, one would understand why the MOSSAD is considered the "world's most efficient killing machine"! The book is an absolute page turner and keeps you on the edge of your seat! It exposes you to the parallel world of espionage that is dark, bloodied and characterised by ever existent fear. From bomb installations in day-to-day appliances to poisons that kill you on contact with your skin and dozen other "creative" ways of killing! The depth of detail in every mission of thi ...more
Ching-Bing-Ping
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, non-fiction, israel, army
Every character in a non-fiction is a real human being, who walked this earth. And, that’s where lies the charm of reading a book which follows the life and history of an organization and its operatives. The names like Isser Harel or Meir Dagan aren’t just names of characters; these are the names of real day heroes. And, through this book I got the opportunity to visit them personally. Who can ask for more?
The book is well detailed, not too detailed to become slow, but enough to keep the reader
Sarthak Sharma
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful and intriguing read.
Patriotism and intelligence of Israelis is commendable.
MOSSAD is indeed one of the world's best secret service agency today.
I believe Israel is an under-rated country and many people I've met don't know about their achievements in the field of healthcare , computer science ,Water management , sanitation and agricultural infrastructure , of course their INTELLIGENCE SERVICES and so on.

After reading this book , I am in love with Israel even more.
Kuhajeyan Gunaratnam
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a chilling clandestine operations by Mossad. Through the time how this agency has been instrumental in Israel defense has been very apparent from this book. Authors has done some extra work on collecting information and behind scene actions of this elusive agency.

Certainly a good read!
Chris Brown
May 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Interesting, but poorly written and disjointed. The author jumps between dates that makes it hard to follow the incidents chronicled in the book.
Anurag Lamba
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Israel's relations with his neighbours and it's secret service is and was always intriguing subject. I have never encountered a book so true and directly indicating names, dates and modus operandi of the operations by any secret service. This book is full of modern history,secret warfare and intelligence some propaganda too. It could have been better if the author didn't mixed too many details and the flavour of a spy novel.

Overall it is a must read for history buffs. It also arouses so many qu
Swasti
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A non-fiction that can hold your attention like a fiction. The stories seem to be written for a Hollywood thriller, except that they are real.
Israel, the nation and Mossad in particular faces a lot of heat for operating in foreign lands and doing things not exactly 'within law'. However, one must also consider the fact that they have done this only when the justice systems failed them. The former Nazis who were hunted and eliminated had not been brought to justice for the crimes they had committ
Sundaravathanan.e
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a collection of its various successful missions told skillfully by former Mossad agents. The book doesnot seek to suggest any justification for its actions. Its up to the reader to decide. But what it does give is a colourful account of few of the world's most daring operations through its gripping narrative. Even the operations mentioned in the movie 'Munich' do not come anyway nearer to those mentioned in here. The book also holds the history of modern Israel before our eyes - How ...more
Play Book Tag: Mossad: The Greatest Missions of the Israeli Secret Service 1 12 Dec 20, 2017 03:03PM
T.E. Dallas Broth...: Mossad: The Greatest Missions of the Israeli 1 3 Mar 04, 2017 11:08AM
Genre 1 14 May 31, 2014 12:47PM
  • Spies Against Armageddon
  • Yom Kippur War
  • Vengeance: The True Story of an Israeli Counter-Terrorist Team
  • Striking Back: The 1972 Munich Olympics Massacre and Israel's Deadly Response
  • Gideon's Spies: The Secret History of the Mossad (Updated)
  • Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Modern American Ranger
  • The Enemy Within: The Secret War Against the Miners
  • Raid on the Sun: Inside Israel's Secret Campaign that Denied Saddam the Bomb
  • Latino Americans: The 500-Year Legacy That Shaped a Nation
  • Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East

Professor Michael Bar-Zohar was a member of Knesset (Labour) and wrote the official biography of David Ben Gurion. He has written thirty non-fiction books, and has been translated into sixteen languages, winning many international prizes. He is currently working on a biography of Shimon Peres.

Has written under the pseudonym Michael Barak.

“The dirtiest actions should be carried out by the most honest men.” 8 likes
“Without stratagems would a people fall, and deliverance is in a wise counsel.” 2 likes