Start by marking “The Patrol: Seven Days in the Life of a Canadian Soldier in Afghanistan” as Want to Read:
The Patrol: Seven Days in the Life of a Canadian Soldier in Afghanistan

The Patrol: Seven Days in the Life of a Canadian Soldier in Afghanistan

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In 2008, Ryan Flavelle, a reservist in the Canadian Army and a student at the University of Calgary, volunteered to serve in Afghanistan. For seven months, twenty-four-year-old Flavelle, a signaller attached to the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, endured the extreme heat, the long hours and the occasional absurdity of life as a Canadian soldier in this new war ...more
Published February 26th 2013 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published October 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Patrol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Patrol

rabbitprincess
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in the Canadian Forces or the war in Afghanistan
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: Ray
* * * * 1/2

A highly engrossing, very well-written account of modern warfare. The author is a reservist with the Canadian Forces and volunteers to serve a tour in Afghanistan as a signaller. This book recounts his experiences on a seven-day patrol partway through the tour, a patrol where he faced difficult tests and changed as a person.

As a history student, Flavelle is well equipped to write a smooth narrative and provide explanations where necessary (especially of the alphabet soup of acronyms t
Luce
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far, the most realistic (modern) war book I've ever read.
When I hear about Afghanistan (and after reading Luttrell and Kyle's stories), I see pretty much lots of action and contact with enemy and badass moments.

What a massive slap in the face after finishing Flavelle's book. If I could resume his experience in a few words, it'll be: bored, hot, sweat, night patrol, IED (mines), marihuana fields and more and more.
He barely had a contact with talibans and I understood how different this war wa
Pierre LeBlanc
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm only half-way through this book, but like my last one, it is highly engrossing. A very well written snapshot of Ryan Flavelle's experience in Afghanistan.
Christina
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many of the books that I have read about modern war take place from the American perspective and so this was immensely interesting as it angles from the Canadian side of the fight. To note, is that I was not looking to this for comparative purposes, only that I wanted to see things from the Canadian perspective. Further to this all, Flavelle is a signaller (and from what I gathered of his explanations of this role and the tasks it encompasses, he is the radio nerd of the company). While Flavelle ...more
Paul Demetre
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
One soldier's powerful memoir of a one week patrol in the quagmire the was the war in Afghanistan.

This autobiography helps one to have some understanding of the thoughts and feelings of a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan. In particular, the one experienced by an intelligent and thoughtful signaler attached to the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and the week that changed his life and perspective.

Thank you for your service Ryan Flavelle.
Tony Toews
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very, very well written. Lots and lots of commentary about infantry and army life interspersed with details about his patrol. If you want to have a good understanding of a modern Canadian infantry this would be an awesome book.
David Emerson
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucid, articulate, and thoughtful writing with a distinctively Canadian perspective on the nature of military culture. I was grateful for the insights this book had to offer.
Anna
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flavelle's book is not one that might normally draw my eye, but I grabbed it off the bookshelf of an (armed forces) old flame, and the rewards were great. His writing isn't simple - far from it - but is clear and concise enough to befit the graveness of the scenarios he presents to us readers. A description of a seven-day slog of a treacherous foot patrol through Afghanistan, he brings us into the vaunted fold of the Canadian armed forces - but not so much so to completely pull the veil away fro ...more
Alli
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This book changed something in me, as all good books do. I felt real fear. Real hatred. Real emotions. Flavelle is completely unapologetic about the things he's said, done, and felt. That's the way a book on this topic needs to be written. It's gritty and messy, and makes no effort to sanitize the war or those who served in it.
Dominic Richens
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a soldier kind of sucks. They have my un-ending gratitude.
Mike
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the privledge of meeting the author and his passion and Sympathy For the life of a soldier is truly inspiring.
Len
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You will like this book if you're not in the army. Otherwise not so much.
Michael Davie
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, biography
This is an excellent book, and a must-read for any Canadian signaller.
Joseph
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learnt a great deal. It's honest. It's very readable and, at least so far, the best book I've about the Canadian army in Afghanistan.
Jonathan Cardinal
great book. The author clearly have a lot of talent to put on paper his taught and feelings. I recommend this book to anyone who thinks about joining the Canadian Forces.
LA
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should be read by every Canadian. We are very lucky to have our soldiers out there defending us.
Bookwench69
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engrossing, highly readable account of one canadian soldiers little slice of Afghanistan.
William Vandervelden
A great book. Not only a sig-op to read but any member of the CF should. It gives in site to the sig-ops role,
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
An incredible insight to life as a Canadian soldier.
Greg