Start by marking “Whatever It Takes” as Want to Read:
Whatever It Takes

Whatever It Takes

In her emotionally powerful and unputdownable new novel Adele Parks, Sunday Times bestselling author of ABOUT LAST NIGHT, asks the question: what if love's not enough?

Eloise Hamilton is a Londoner born and bred, so it is a momentous day when she reluctantly agrees to uproot to Dartmouth, leaving behind her perfect world so her husband can finally live in his. There are com
Published June 21st 2012 by Headline Review (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Whatever It Takes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whatever It Takes

Start your review of Whatever It Takes
Nicki
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I used to love Adele Parks. She writes a really involved story with complex characters, and that's still true here. However, her last three or four books have been about mums, or women who are desperate to be mums, and I'm really getting bored crapless by this.
This is the first of Adele's books that I haven't purchased, and I'm glad I didn't. I borrowed it from the library instead.
First of all, Sara. Really didn't like her. I have little patience in general with women who think their whole lif
Zoe
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant!

First of all, had I been unaware of who had written this - I would never in a million years had put this down as one of Adele Parks'. Her style has changed massively and in fact, I prefer this Adele. Don't get me wrong, I'll always have room on my bookshelf for the chick-lit, 'girlie banter' and Bridget Jones type dilemmas but this was a masterpiece.

Eloise is a happily married wife and mother to three beautiful girls. After years of living in London, the family
Caroline
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this book when I started it, as I found all the characters utterly unlikeable, however once I got to the second half, it kept me turning the pages, and it's ended up being one of my favourite of Adele's novels - particularly loved the twist at the end, which I didn't see coming at all.

Lindsay
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was next up on my World Book Night reading challenge. I'd not read any Adele Parks before so to be honest was just expecting fluffy chick-lit boy meets girl but this wasn't like that. It was more grown up if that makes sense?

Having moved her family from to Dartmouth, her husband's home town, Eloise tries to make a new life for them and is desperately wanting to fit in to the Dartmouth scene but leaving her beloved London behind and her best friend is harder than she thought.

Eloise is a
Liyana
Mar 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very mature reading. It talks about the conflicts and issues married women faces when it comes to satisfying each and every person that means alot to you. Eloise, the main character, has her husband to compromise with, a bestfriend who's going through a hard time to get pregnant and a mother-in-law who's losing her mind.

'Whatever It Takes' has a significant theme on sacrifices. It gets a bit serious at some parts and it doesn't promote much joy to reading (Eloise's bestfriend, Sara, is a big p
Ruby
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book three stars because it left me torn.
I liked Eloise and Mark, but I didn't really connect with them. Mark did annoy me with how cold he often was towards his dad, and sometimes even his mum.
I absolutely loved how Margaret's illness was explored! From her point of view and others' - it really explored the struggle people go through, and I thought was brilliant!
But I HATED Sara and Charlie. Their rudeness, his cheek, her complete disregard of others. The whole way through the boo
Christine Dolan
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
I daresay there is nothing wrong with this book. She's a popular author and the story telling was good. It's just that novels about people with perfect bodies and agas who are full of middle class angst are not my cup of tea.
Rea Cobb
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have only previously read two books by Adele Parks so I still feel like a beginner! Both of the books I have read I enjoyed and so I really wanted to try another of her books so I have just finished her new novel Whatever It Takes.

Eloise is a Londoner through and through. She has a wide group of friends and usually finds herself entertaining for them, she really is living her dream but her husband has lived Eloise’s dream for a long time now and Eloise agrees it is time for them to start livin
Mary Snaddon
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This is the kind of book I love. It's about people, relationships, flaws, secrets, life. I savoured every bit of it. It's the sort of book I don't keep checking which percentage I'm at on my kindle, except when I feared it was running out.
Aileen
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love the books by this Author she is one of my favourites, I have read most of her books and this one does not disappoint.
Eloise is married to Mark they have 3 children, Mark is a Solicitor and when he has news his Father is retiring and wants him to take over he is thrilled as for the last 15 years he has been trying to get Eloise to move out of London to Dartmouth, where his parents live. Eventually she agrees although she will miss her friends especially Sara they have been friends for 4 ye
Linda Thompson
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was given this as a World Book Night book, and had not read Adele Parks before, but will now certainly read more of her books. From the blurb on the back cover I thought it would be chicklit, but it is so much more and covers a number of women’s issues in a thoughtful and adult way. There is only a handful of characters, which allows her to develop them satisfactorily, particularly the women. Issues of infertility and dementia do not make for light reading, but they are done well and sympathet ...more
Kayleigh
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was interested in this book for two reasons...the first being it's an Adele Parks book and she has been a long-term favourite of mine since I was sixteen...I don't think anybody does 'chick lit' like her and I've read a lot of it. The second reason I was interested in reading this book was because one of the characters is a dementia sufferer and because dementia is something that my granddad is suffering from and I had never read fiction addressing it before this, I was curious to see how Adel ...more
Clo
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Alexandra
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
When I finished this book I literally threw it across the room (pregnancy hormones probably) but the ending completely annoyed me.

I endured this book which only got interesting past midway with Margaret's bombshell and the surrogacy drama. Sara as a character was completely unlikeable and hard to relate to and it didn't make sense why Eloise did so much for her.

The fact that it only took Sara once to get and stay pregnant in her master plan is far-fetched as she'd always had a problem keeping
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
This was a really light and easy read about the essence of family and all that means.

The story focuses on the 'perfect' Eloise who is often guilty of putting everything and everyone before herself and at times the need of her family.

I really enjoyed the fact that this book is set in Dartmouth so that the local features of the area were really brought to life, and that I was able to place the characters easily in their surroundings.

Some bits of the book were a bit far fetched I felt but on the wh
Victoria Brown
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I've read most of Adele's books, and I think this is one of her best. I love the way she captures alzheimer from the character point of view. Having had a family member who suffered with this awful disease, I think it worked really well. Admittedly I hated Sara, and I wanted to shout at Eloise for staying friends with her, but could also see why she couldn't just leave her friend. I wanted to protect Eloise as I would my own friends. If you like chick-lit and want a real-life ...more
Chloe Morley
Apr 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: favourites
I can't help but come back and think of this book. It took me for ages to read because I didn't feel like reading it, it's a good book but it honestly takes me a lot to consistently stick to reading a book. However, once I pressed on I got more into it and it's story stays in my memory Adele Parks it's an amazing author and anyone looking for a good read that likes the sound of the topic from on the blurb should definitely read it!
Ellen Stafford
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. There was some really likeable strong characters in the book but there was also a couple of characters that I found not nice but that's just life.

For me the part that I found really well written was of the lady suffering from Alzheimer's. A member of my family has dementia and I felt that Adele wrote about the character and the family around her really well. Such a very sad illness.

Hazel Cussons
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
it was good i couldn't put the book down i thought it had sad ending
Suzanne Francis
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Haven't read an Adele Parks for a long time. Got this whilst browsing at the library and have devoured it - didn't see the twist coming. I really enjoyed it.
Erica Olsen
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Was it not for Sara and Charlie, I could have given this book 5 stars.

•• This review might contain minor spoilers or hints about what will happen in the book ••

I didn’t know what to expect going in to this book. I chose it at random at my audiobook app and started listening, unfamiliar with the content and the author.

I liked Eloise a lot. I might not care as much for the opinion of others or totally agree with all she did and so on, but from the start to the end, she has her heart in th
Judith Baxter
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Elouise Hamilton has a seemingly perfect life in London. As a born and bred Londoner she cannot imagine living anywhere else.

But her husband Mark longs to return to his childhood home, Dartmouth, and when his father offers to sell his legal practice to him at a family rate, Mark is very keen to take up the offer and the chance to return.

Eventually, Elouise is persuaded to uproot herself, leaving behind her friends and her special shops and boutiques to move.

She finds it hard initially, but she h
Chris Payne
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I have read other books by Adele Parks and always find them good reads -- more challenging than the average chick lit, with complicated story lines. But in this book, as with others by her, I found it difficult to connect with the characters. Eloise was OK but shallow and a bit self-centred, and some of the decisions she made didn't jibe with the way I'd understood her character to be. Sara was completely unlikeable, rude to the point of farcical, and I couldn't see a single reason why Eloise wo ...more
Kingfan30
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
In the beginning I could relate to the situation between the two friends, I’ve found myself in the shoes of Eloise and know exactly how it feels to deal with someone going the through the issues that Sarah was having. However as that side of the story progressed I found it got quite far fetched. The storyline that actually kept my interest, was Margaret’s. To see the thoughts from her point of view as her Alzheimer’s progressed was interesting and made me wonder if that’s actually how people fee ...more
Ti
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book. Admittedly it took a little while to get into and was a typical chick lit book with all the expected plot solutions and then, then came the smack in the face that I didn't see coming. It had comedy, tragedy, bits that moved me and bits that made me yawn but all in all, it was balanced and provided enough entertainment when I was willing to give myself to the book. This is the kind if book you take on a beach holiday to add to your escape.
David Lindley
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting book with a twist at the end. An apparently intense friendship turns out not to have been so.This interspersed with changes arising from family life make an interesting read.The impact of dementia on a loved one is particularly poignant, as all around become impacted by the effects.
The closeness of the personal relationships, family choices as people age, and the influence of friends are all detailed in the book.

Andrea
May 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I love how the writer brings characters to life, brings to mind the same style as Joanna Trollope.
Story touched on sensitive issues eg fertility problems and dementia so interesting to learn how characters deal with things like this.
Interesting twist at the end that I really didn't see coming and leaves the reader thinking about the dilemma posed and hefty life consequences - won't say any more to give anything away!
Looking forward to another of Adele Parks' well written books!
Becca Ford
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a story about the 'perfect' mum of three, Eloise, and how she is trying to keep everyone she loves happy! Juggling a big move for her husband and his career, a best friend who is desperate for a baby and mother in law who is diagnosed with Alzheimer's, this makes for emotional and heartfelt reading!

A solid 4/5 *
Paul Metcalfe
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Adele's early books, proper chick lit.
This is quite different. Its really just a story about a 21st century family with all our complications.
I found Margarets story the most gripping and there are some interesting twists.
Well narrated and a bit different.
Emily
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read with some good twists

I enjoyed reading this book, it was easy to read and the plot flowed nicely. I was a little disappointed in the ending but I enjoyed the twists and turns throughout. Good read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• 10 Reasons not to Fall in Love
  • The Woman Upstairs
  • Little Friends
  • Mr Portobello's Morning Paper
  • The Hypnotist's Love Story: From the bestselling author of Big Little Lies, now an award winning TV series
  • The Argument
  • The Other Passenger
  • A Home From Home
  • The Marriage Mender
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • Found
  • A Friend of the Family
Adele Parks was born in Teesside, NE England. She studied English Language and Literature, at Leicester University. She published her first novel, Playing Away, in 2000; that year the Evening Standard identified Adele as one of London’s ‘Twenty Faces to Watch.’ Indeed Playing Away was the debut bestseller of 2000.
Prolific, Adele has published nine novels in nine years, including Game Over, Tell Me