Start by marking “Judgment Call (Joanna Brady, #15)” as Want to Read:
Judgment Call (Joanna Brady, #15)

Judgment Call (Joanna Brady #15)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  4,774 Ratings  ·  444 Reviews
The New York Times bestselling master of mystery and suspense, J.A. Jance—whom the Chattanooga Times ranks “among the best, if not the best”—brings back her enormously popular series protagonist, Cochise County Sheriff Joanna Brady.

With Judgment Call, Jance achieves a new high in crime fiction, as Brady wrestles with her conflicting roles of law officer and mother when her
Published July 24th 2012 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Judgment Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judgment Call

Barbara

In this 15th book in the series High School principal Debra Highsmith is gruesomely murdered and her body is discovered by Jenny Brady, daughter of Cochise County Sheriff Joanna Brady. Jenny does a big no-no - she takes a photo of the corpse and sends it to a friend - and before you can blink the picture's all over the internet, along with nasty comments. Seems Ms. Highsmith was not popular among the high school crowd and some students seem to be likely suspects for her murder.

However, while loo
Sue
I've been reading this series set in Arizona for some time now and I find that my tastes seem to be changing. While the characters certainly are consistent with those of the books I've read before, they just don't seem multi-dimensional enough for me in this episode. The plot was interesting with some clever twists, but I found myself thinking about how I felt when reading James Lee Burke's Creole Belle just a week ago. Then I was excited and very engaged, wrapped up in the writing, plot and cha ...more
Jackie
Aug 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it.

I did read some of the criticisms leveled at the book here on Good Reads, and agree to some extent with some of them, but they are so trifling that I don't even want to bother addressing them. I know that when I finished the last page and closed the book it was with a sense of completion and enjoyment.

I liked the characters. I liked the way Joanna dealt with some of the issues facing her. I liked that her marriage was portrayed as strong and fulfilling. I liked that the family unit w
Thomas Edmund
Judgment Call, finds recurring hero Joanna Brady investigating the shock killing of a local high-school principal, and also confronting some ghosts of mysteries past when new information about her father's death is revealed.

The strength of Jance's writing is in her believable and fleshed out characters. Jance does well in avoiding cliché and stereotype (mostly) aside from a few generalisations about teenagers and older folk, there wasn't one character I thought couldn't be a real person.

Judgment
Joe
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Hard to believe this is #15 in the on going series about Sheriff Joanna Brady. Love coming back to visit her and family in Bisbee, Arizona. I am a huge fan of Ms. Jance and her different series, and I enjoyed this installment about Sheriff Brady very much. Great storytelling, complicated mystery/thriller that has you trying to figure it out until the very end. As Sheriff, Joanna is a "hard-ass" and I mean that as a compliment. She has paid her dues to be the first and only female sheriff in the ...more
Mylinda
Overall, a good, servicable Joanna Brady story. 3.5/5.0

There's a murder, Joanna jumps in, and there is a battle in the desert. (Not really a spoiler since that's how all the books go.) Overall one of the better books, but spoiled by Joanna's apparant complete lack of knowledge of the new-fangled "internet".

Some spolers will follow...

My complaints, nitpicky all, but they bugged me:
As punishment for releasing a crime scene photo, Jenny loses her texting service. Fair enough, but then there is dis
Luanne Ollivier
3.5/5
I've been following the trials and tribulations of Sheriff Joanna Brady of Cochise County, Arizona for many years. J.A. Jance released the first book in 1993 and the latest installment - Judgment Call - marks the 15th entry in this long running and much loved series.

Joanna's fifteen year old daughter Jenny stumbles upon a body while out for an early morning ride. It turns out to be the body of the local high school principal, who had been reported as missing. And with that discovery, her pe
Anthony
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J A Jance is one of my favorite mystery authors. She is known for two series, among others. The first is her Beaumont series set in Seattle. And this series, set in Bisbee, Arizona, featuring County Sheriff Joanna Brady and her rather interesting family and friends. These are definitely not "cozy mysteries." Jance can be pretty descriptive in her telling of a story. But she writes so well, with a mixture of humor and thrills. I have read every book in this series and I have enjoyed every one of ...more
Susan
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sheriff Joanna is a pretty cool character and most of the characters in "Judgment Call" are well developed. Unfortunately the plot is pretty sophomoric. I stuck with it but wish I hadn't. The last quarter of the book was a true disappointment. Her brother was the killer? Give me a break. He was a Stanford prof specializing in facial recognition software because he was so obsessed with finding his sister who really didn't ever do anything to deserve any retribution for simply having observed her ...more
Judy
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, I enjoyed this installment in Jance's saga of Joanna Brady's work as sheriff of Cochise County, AZ. Jenny, Joanna's daughter, becomes involved as she finds the body of her high school principal. Also, Joanna must learn to deal with social media and its impact on the case. And she faces her past and the death of her father, which brings surprising facts to light.
Nancy
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Couldn't put it down. Love how we learn new pieces of Joanna's life.....

When Joanna Brady's daughter, Jenny, stumbles across the body of her high school principal, Debra Highsmith, in the desert, the Cochise County sheriff's personal and professional worlds collide, forcing her to tread the difficult middle ground between being an officer of the law and a mother. While investigating murders has always meant discovering unpleasant facts and disquieting truths, the experienced Joanna i
Kristina
Keep in mind, 3 Stars means, "I liked it" and I did, enough so that I may one day pick up any of the other 14 books in this series. Admittedly, I didn't realize until after the fact that this is the 15th book in an ongoing series about Sheriff Joanna Brady.

I thought this was a solid mystery novel and I like the characters and the story itself. Throughout though I though it was somewhat heavy on random information about characters, but like I said, I didn't realize at first that it was because i
Marca
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another home run for J. A. Jance’s Sheriff Joanna Brady. Brady’s daughter Jenny discovers the body of her high school principal during an early morning ride on her horse in the dessert. The Sheriff discovers that the principal has lived her life off-line. There is nearly no digital record of the principal online. The principal did not email or call her family – she communicated by snail mail to a third-party address. Joanna finds that the principal is also using an alias. The principal’s few clo ...more
Robin
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars for the first part, 3.5 for the last 1/4.

I have read every Beaumont title and now all in the Brady series, and have to admit I still prefer the Beaumont series. That being said, I thought for the most part this was a solid mystery with Joanna and her gang performing good thorough investigative skills.

The 3.5 stars comes in after the main mystery was solved and I realized there were still many pages left to read, which the author used to wrap up a personal mystery that started in the firs
Vannessa Anderson
When Jenny found her high school principal’s bullet ridden body lying on the horse trail; she called her mom Sheriff Joanna Brady. The case was baffling because Sheriff Brady just couldn’t come up with a motive but once she learned that the principal was living under a false identity, she knew that the first step in solving the crime would be learning the identity of the victim.

Judgment Call was a terrific read! Never was there a lull and it was exhilarating until the end. Hillary Huber was rig
Martha
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
J.A. Jance's mysteries offer little challenge, but that is what makes them perfect for a day at the beach. The Joanna Brady series is the one I enjoy most, maybe because of its funky setting in Bisbee, Arizona. Judgment Call follows the author's usual pattern: murder, investigation, twist (another murder), a sub plot that seems irrelevant but ends up helping to solve the first murder, some bumps in family life, and a new revelation about the past. Joanna Brady isn't one to make you laugh, but a ...more
Chuck
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another in the series of Sheriff Joanna Brady stories taking place in Cochise County Arizona. I have read a couple of these before and enjoyed them. Sheriff Brady's teenage daughter, out for an early morning horseback ride in the desert, discovers the body of her high school principal. Of course she calls her mom and then to the regret of many she takes a cell phone photo of the body and sends it to her best friend. The photo finds it's way onto the Internet and Joanna starts peeling the ...more
Wendy
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-rated
I've read all 15 books in Jance's Joanna Brady series. Most are full of suspense and hold your interest. This one just doesn't seem to come together as well as her others. Some of the action doesn't fit; at times the plot drags, and at other times the dialogue is awkward. The whole narrative seems a bit off, as if there are a bunch of good ideas, but forced together.
Mary
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Jance's J.P. Beaumont character better than Joanna Brady, and I found myself irritated by all the detail woven into the story about Bisbee, AZ and its residents, but the story held my attention. I have heard J.A. Jance speak at two ALA conferences, and the way she can hold an audience raptly waiting for her next word is inspiring. She is a born story teller—on paper, and in person.
Amy
It is always hard coming into a series without having read any of the previous books. This series was easy to get into though. The book also had some good twists in the story. Overall I enjoyed it.
The latest J.A. Jance mystery, one of her Joanna Brady series set in Arizona. Entertaining as ususal, although the motive for the crime seemed a bit far-fetched. Time to bring back Beaumont (set in Seattle)!
Violet
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read :) could not wait to get home from work to finish it !!
Mskychick
3-1/2 stars
Lewestover
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world of social media is forced upon Sheriff Brady when a picture of the dead high school principal shows up on Facebook. Things get really complicated when the sheriff's office tries to notify the next on kin and it comes to light that the principal's personal life was one big secret.
Once again the author has Sheriff Brady dealing with contemporary problems in society and in home life.
grundoon
3.5 It baffles me that even though I'm reading through both her AZ-based female-protagonist series in chronologically written order, this one so completely outshines the more recent creation. But you know, if you're going to (still inexplicably) shift social media plot elements over to this one, you should really take the time to understand them first.
Justine K. Bunnell
Always a winner

I have always been a fan of Ms Jance's books and loved this book as well. She's is a master at keeping the action moving as well as not letting her audience guess the outcome until she's ready. Her books always contain mysteries solved with warmth and dogged determination.
Decop
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 means worth reading. It usually indicates a light read, that is entertaining, but has little to teach you me. This was my first JA Jance book, but it's like the Butch Karp series, fun to read. Literate, well edited and well paced, I recommend this when your thinker is tired and you just want to relax.
Dan Smith
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The murder of a high school principal and then the murder of a social person is Bisbee has the Sheriff looking at all angles.. But even after those cases are solved,, she learns more about her own fathers death and how, instead of an accident, it was a murder.. and she is able to gather enough to bring the person responsible to jail.
Ginny
Follows the formula that works well for the Joanna Brady series. For a relatively small town, Bisbee has more than its share of murders. This installment finds Joanna, dealing with a couple of ethical questions concerning sensitive information being shared outside the department and new information concerning the death of her father.
Mary Beth
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sheriff Joanna Brady, wrestles with her conflicting roles of law officer and mother when her daughter discovers the murdered body of the local high school principal, and the ensuing investigation reveals secrets no parent wants to hear.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Judgement Call 1 3 Nov 04, 2012 06:40PM
  • Restless In The Grave (Kate Shugak, #19 / Liam Campbell, #5)
  • Night Watch (Alexandra Cooper, #14)
  • By Stone, by Blade, by Fire (Barbara Holloway, #13)
  • Desert Run (A Lena Jones Mystery #4)
  • The Buzzard Table (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #18)
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • Cat's Claw (China Bayles, #20)
  • Death Comes Silently (Death on Demand, #22)
  • The Rope (Anna Pigeon, #17)
  • Through the Evil Days (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #8)
  • Breakdown  (V.I. Warshawski, #15)
  • Edge of Black (Dr. Samantha Owens, #2)
  • One Perfect Shot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #.05)
  • Looking for Yesterday (Sharon Mccone Mysteries)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)
  • Severe Clear (Stone Barrington, #24)
  • Buried in Buttercream (Savannah Reid Mystery, #17)
  • Spider Woman's Daughter (Leaphorn  & Chee, #19)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

Joanna Brady (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1)
  • Tombstone Courage (Joanna Brady, #2)
  • Shoot Don't Shoot (Joanna Brady, #3)
  • Dead to Rights (Joanna Brady, #4)
  • Skeleton Canyon (Joanna Brady, #5)
  • Rattlesnake Crossing (Joanna Brady, #6)
  • Outlaw Mountain (Joanna Brady, #7)
  • Devil's Claw (Joanna Brady, #8)
  • Paradise Lost (Joanna Brady, #9)
  • Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)

“she began. Her use of Joanna’s full name usually” 0 likes