Start by marking “Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #1)” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  1,070 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
Maggie Lee is not your average hitwoman. For one thing, she's never killed anyone. For another, after hitting her head in the car accident that killed her sister, her new best friend is a talking lizard—a picky eater, obsessed with Wheel of Fortune, that only Maggie can hear.

Maggie, who can barely take care of herself, is desperate to help her injured and orphaned niece ge
Published February 7th 2012 by Avon Impulse (first published January 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman

Jacob Proffitt
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most fans of Stephanie Plum.
Shelves: owned
I had low expectations for this book but it did manage to exceed them. On the surface, the book could be taken for a cheap attempt to cash in on Janet Evanovich's raging success with her Stephanie Plum series. And there are certainly a lot of similarities. You have a single woman, mildly klutzy, with family issues, living in New Jersey taking on a job generally reserved for gung-ho bad-asses being romantically pursued by two guys who are actual gung-ho bad-asses. Oh, and who sometimes talks to h ...more
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈   ❂❤❣
Q:
She ignored that as she started rummaging in her purse. “What you need is to channel your inner Chiquita.”“You want me to channel my inner banana?” I knew what she meant, but I liked teasing her. For as long as I’ve known Armani, she’s been trying to get me to set my “true self” free. I was too bottled up for her taste. I didn’t tell her that my reserve was something I’d carefully constructed over the years. The ability to control my emotions, to lock them up and refuse to express them, was a
Donna Huber
This was a great book. I loved Lynn's The First Victim, but Confessions is even better. I cried... I laughed... I cried again... laughed again (see a pattern?). Full review: http://www.girl-who-reads.com/2012/01...
Paperback Dolls
Previously posted at PaperbackDolls.com

If you’re looking for a good laugh, you’ve come to the right place. J.B. Lynn has given us the next Stephanie Plum in the form of Maggie Lee.

What’s a girl supposed to do when an accident leaves her sister and brother-in-law dead, her tiny niece Katie in a coma, and the insurance isn’t enough to cover the expenses? As a claims representative for Insuring the Future, Maggie doesn’t make the kind of money needed ensure her niece has the very best care, so she
Misty
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A twisted plot and a twisted but lovable main character, dark humor, a talking lizard and an edgy but flaky psychic...put it all together and you get a fun romp into the dark side with a woman forced to kill for money. (Note: The bad guys are truly bad and deserve what they get.)

The family situation between Maggie and her aunts was a well-written subplot (don't we all have family members who make us crazy?), and Armani, the screwed up psychic, made me laugh out loud. I'd love to have friends lik
Lisarenee
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I know your name, where you live, where you work, and that you're the legal guardian of that little girl. I also know how much your annual salary is, that you have no criminal record, and what's in you bank account. Most importantly, I know how much this 'premium care' costs. People say I'm a crook, but the medical establishment has got nothing on me. They just know how to bleed you dry legally. And that is why I think you might find yourself amenable to the offer I'm going to make you."
"You'
All Things Urban Fantasy
Evoking shades of Wonderfalls and Stephanie Plum, CONFESSIONS OF A SLIGHTLY NEUROTIC HITWOMAN could just as easily been titled "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished". This book bears more resemblance to a wacky, caper of a contemporary romance than urban fantasy, but the addition of talking animals gives it one foot in the paranormal camp… or perhaps, as the main character worries, the mental hospital.

Maggie Lee is the responsible sister in a family with more than its fair share of characters and ne'er-
Lisa
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book for author JB Lynn. Her books so far are complex. She has so much going on but it's not confusing. It's laid out nicely in a good pace that you can follow and savor as you go. I didn't know what to expected based on the title and cover and the brand spanking newness of this author. Was it a thriller? Seemed like it might be since the last one was. OK but the blurb mentions a talking lizard so maybe it's funny too??? Ha it's a mix of both. There are some dark sad elements ...more
Silver James
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwomanarrived on my Kindle as the result of winning a contest. How the heck had I not discovered J.B. Lynn and her wonderfully neurotic heroine, Maggie before now? Ms. Lynn has quickly become a favorite author. Do you know that feeling when you walk into a fun house? When the mirrors get you all discombobulated and the floor starts buckling? And then it starts spinning around like a tilt-a-whirl? Yeah. That's what reading CONFESSIONS is like. It's a crazy rid ...more
Suzy (ereaderuser)
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious fun!
Cher
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I opened this book, wondering how a normal woman could become a hit woman. That's the thing, Maggie's not really normal. I was thoroughly entertained with Maggie and God. The side characters added so much to this story that you couldn't help but smile at the drama. Already started the next book .
Amber
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This book was an absolute riot!! Loved every minute. Great characters and laugh out loud fun! Of course there were also many intense, nerve-racking moments that had me on the edge of my seat. I could not stop reading until I hit the end. Now I must dive into the next book and see what Maggie and the gang get themselves into!

Stephanie Plum fans will love this series.

P.S. I think Maggie is more kick-ass! ;) Can't forget Godzilla - that hysterical gecko *ahem* Anole!
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-are
Veering from wildly funny to desperately sad, Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman is an entertaining dark comedy caper.

Maggie Lee survives the car accident that kills her sister and brother in law, leaving her niece, Katie, comatose. Maggie's parents are no help, her father is doing time for murder and her mother is in a psychiatric hospital. Maggie hasn't seen her sister in years and her three aunts are their own special type of crazy. A chance encounter with a hitman in the hospital br
Linda
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely a laugh out loud read. JB Lynn has a great sense of humor and I would love to see this book turn out as a series. I want to read more about Maggie & Patrick.

Maggie is a strong character. I loved her and her smart comments. Maggie is willing to do what ever it takes to make sure her niece Katie gets the best care while she is in a coma.Maggie, Katie & her parents were in a car accident. Katie's parent didn't make it and now Katie is in a coma and Maggie is doing al
Andrea Guy
Move over Stephanie Plum, there is another Jersey Girl on the book scene! Maggie Lee is one of the funniest characters you'll encounter in a long time. The story is full of color characters that you can't help but love. Oh and some really interesting animals!

It is hard to pigeonhole this book into a genre. It is a little bit chicklit but it isn't a real mystery or thriller either. What it is, is a whole lot of fun and a little bit of a roller coaster ride, with Maggie learning to be a hired gun
Lisa
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julia
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, urban, arcs, dropbox
A mix of Wonder Falls and Stephanie Plum, CONFESSIONS OF A SLIGHTLY NEUROTIC HITWOMAN could also be titled "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished". Maggie Lee is the responsible sister in a family with more than its fair share of characters and ner-do-wells, but it's still no surprise when that over developed sense of responsibility is what lands Maggie in the world of contract killing.

And oh what a world it is. The "professional" parts of Maggie's life were what required the largest suspension on disbe
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
I am incredibly glad that I saw someone in my update feed reading this book and that I decided to check it out. It was awesome. I loved Maggie. She was funny. She was brave. She was loyal. She talks to animals. Really, I had so much fun reading her story. I found myself wondering if she really was going to it. She pulled it off. I don't know if it's weird that I felt proud of her for that, but I did.

I really wasn't sure what to expect with this book, though I figured there would be humor. I was
Dianne
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are thinking that this sounds like 'chick-lit' or a light funny read, you may be in for a surprise. I was very surprised as to how this book played out, murdering another human for cash is a difficult subject to get the average reader to grasp. While this book did have a lot of elements of humor ( a talking lizard and at the end a dog?) I found the themes to be terribly dark but totally engrossing. The author managed to write a multi-layered, very deep character no matter how flighty she ...more
Amy R
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, general-fiction
This was a great book. JB Lynn’s writing was fun and witty and easy to read. I found it difficult to put this book down because I had to know how things turned out for Maggie in several situations. I think the book was set up perfectly for a series. There are so many questions that were answered yet I still had several others that will hopefully be answered in the books to come.

I really liked the first person point of view in this book. I really felt for Maggie and understood the decisions she h
Tracey Avequin
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
JB Lynn deserves our attention! She's won mine with her newest book, Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman. Just as editor Lucia Macro explains ([...]), this book'll make you laugh. And cry. And hope along with Maggie Lee that her problems will be solved in the end (at least somewhat-- come on, life, give us a break once in a while!). And because we all need a little comic relief in our lives, there's a talking lizard who has nick-named himself God. The romance is perfect: not too mushy, j ...more
Brianna Kilcrease
So to tell you the truth I was slightly skeptical about this book. After signing up for the tour I was like, I wonder if the book will be something I'll like. Well guess what? It's DEFINITELY something I'd like.

Stephanie Plum meets Woman Who Talks to animals in this hilarious, exhilarating read. On my kindle the book was a whopping 489 pages, but I read about 300 in just a few hours. Crazy huh? It was that good.

I'm quite happy that this is the first book I am reviewing for a blog tour :) It def
B.E.
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JB outdid herself with this one. The characters she wrote are real and fun and vulnerable and gutsy. The main character - Maggie - is someone I'd want to hang out with even if she is 'remarkably unremarkable'. Patrick - her hitman mentor/hot cop - could buy me a beer any day. And Godzilla is a lizard I'd love to have around, even if I'm not a lizard lovin' person. I can't wait to see what JB has in store for us next.

Because there has to be a sequel. Or I might have to join Maggie in becoming a s
DL
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fun. Did I have to suspend believe? Of course. Were their loose ends flapping about and things that really didn't make sense? Why, yes there were. It was a little to similar to Stephanie Plum but with more motivation. I hate those stupid love triangles and really hope that Ms. Lynn does not let this series drag on ad nauseum. What starts out as fun is just shop worn by the eighth book. :)
Jessica
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: capers

A funny, fluffy, kinda paranormal story of mob hitpeople and their families, with some romantic elements. None of those parts is really strong on its own, but mixed together somehow becomes a good time. Somewhat to my surprise, I'm looking forward to the next one.
Gayle
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read. This book was so good, that I am sorry it is over. Completely different than anything else I have read. Great characters that you wont want to miss. Funny and sad at the same time. Looking forward to reading more from J.B. Lynn in the future.
Paul
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the book, although it felt like the epilogue was much too short... I wanted more! Regardless, I'm looking forward to a sequel, it's a good cast of characters.
Gail
Jan 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, chick-lit, suspense
This book was really different, but entertaining. The heroine falls into the hitwoman profession mostly by accident. I got a big kick out of it, and will be looking for others from this author.
Amanda
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it and bought the sequel
Help me find a book please 1 2 May 29, 2015 09:56PM
  • The Housewife Assassin's Vacation to Die For (Housewife Assassin, #5)
  • No One to Trust (Lexi Carmichael Mystery, #2)
  • Weapons of Mass Distraction (Lexi Graves Mysteries, #5)
  • No Experience Required (Summer Rains, #1)
  • An African Affair
  • Double Click
  • Confessions of a PTA Mafia Mom
  • A Warrior's Promise (The Warrior King, #3)
  • Berserk (Detroit After Dark #3)
  • Unmanned (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #4)
  • Whiskey for Breakfast (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #3)
  • Lowcountry Punch
  • Hot Scheming Mess (Madison Cruz Mystery #1)
Author of:

The Hitwoman's Act of Contrition

The Hitwoman Hires a Manny

The Hitwoman and the
More about J.B. Lynn...

Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Further Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman
  • The Hitwoman Gets Lucky (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman, #2.5)
  • The Hitwoman and the Family Jewels (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman, #4)
  • The Hitwoman and the Neurotic Witness (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman, #5)
  • The Hitwoman Hunts a Ghost (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman, #6)
  • The Hitwoman and the 7 Cops (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman, #7)
  • The Hitwoman and the Poisoned Apple (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #8)
  • The Hitwoman's Downward Dog (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #9)
  • The Hitwoman's Act of Contrition (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman, #10)
  • The Hitwoman Hires a Manny (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #11)