Start by marking “Henry and Ribsy” as Want to Read:
Henry and Ribsy

Henry and Ribsy

(Henry Huggins #3)

At last, Henry Huggins's father has promised to take him fishing, on one condition. Henry's dog, Ribsy, has been in all sorts of trouble lately, from running off with the neighbor's barbecue roast to stealing a policeman's lunch. To go on the fishing trip, Henry must keep Ribsy out of trouble -- no chasing cats, no digging up lawns...and no getting anywhere near little Ram ...more
Audiobook
Published April 21st 2009 by HarperCollins (first published October 18th 1953)

Cheryl
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramona is actually naughty in this one, not just imaginative. Ribsy is pretty poorly-behaved, too. But the grown-ups aren't much better; witness the scene on the playground when all the busybody ladies thought that Ribsy was bothering/ frightening Ramona, when it was actually the other way 'round. Anyway, this is the one with the garbage, the loose canine teeth, and the bad haircuts.

They're all fun. And, btw, since they're old, one could argue that they're a bit dated... but I argue that they'r
Jane
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Henry Huggins series, is Henry and Ribsy.
Henry wants to go fishing with his father, so his dad makes him a deal, keep Ribsy out of trouble for two month's then he can go fishing, this is not easy to do.
The moments I love in this book are, when Ribsy suddenly starts growling at the garbage man, also when his mother gives Henry a haircut.
I have always loved the character Ramona Quimby, and she is here in all her glory.
I love when she steals Ribsy' s bone, and all that transp
Jordan
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-readers
I asked my son if he liked this book and if he wanted to give it 4 stars or 5 stars. He replied, "SIX stars!!!!"
Kellyn Roth
I read this book so many times when I was seven or eight and just getting into chapter books. I longed for a dog back then, and of course I only wanted one more (despite Ribsy's escapades) after reading this story. It's sweet, easy to read, and entertaining. Nowadays I'd probably find it a little simple, but for anyone aged 6-10, this is a fantastic book! It's one I'm looking forward to passing on to my kids and grandkids (someday ... in the distant future ...).

~Kellyn Roth, Reveries Reviews
Skylar Burris
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Beverley Cleary writes about the every day, mundane life of children and somehow makes it interesting. There are no magicians, no elves, no talking animals, no magic treehouses, no princesses – just ordinary kid troubles and concerns.

I witness my children relating to these books as they listen to them, despite the generational gap, and I can relate to them now on a new level, as an adult parent looking back on myself and my exaggerated woes as a child. This time we opted for one with a male pro
Jacob Olson
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 15

Jake Olson

This kid is just like any other kid, Henry just wants to have some fun and go salmon fishing with his day. Its in the summer so he has to wait till September to go fishing for salmon. His dog Ribsy has been getting into lots of trouble and he doesn't do anything about it because he is always talking about the trash and how he hates to take it out. He had made a bargain with his dad, if he could keep Ribsy out of trouble until September than he will think about it. So he does ev
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Want to do a reread so will review at that time.
Kristin
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Reading this book to my kids, I only wished I'd started this series with them sooner. But they loved it and want to read more books in the series. I think they connect with Henry's desire to do grown things (e.g., to go on the fishing trip with the adults). I was glad it was me doing the reading for this one because there's a one-sentence tooth-fairy spoiler that I managed to skip over. Otherwise it would be a perfect book for them to read on their own.
Amber Scaife
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henry so much wants to go salmon fishing with his dad, but he has to earn the trip by making sure that Ribsy behaves for the rest of the summer. It's touch and go for a bit, but in the end, Henry's still saying, "Good old Ribsy."
Charlie, I think, is officially a Cleary fan - he's loving the Henry/Beezus/Ramona stories.
Stephanie
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mom-owen
Owen: I liked it. It was so fun and it was really cool. I liked how Henry caught the chinook (salmon) with his bare hands. I WANT SOME PTA! Okay, that’s it.

Mom: Another fun book by Beverly Cleary! We loved Henry Huggins. We liked this one just as well and more than Ribsy.
Marna
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So...don't tell anyone this, but I had to look up if a Chinook salmon was a silver or king. Which was the name of our basketball team. And yet. There are too many names for each species and I always get them confused. Anyway, this is, I think, the only Ribsy book I hadn't read as a kid. I really like the ones she wrote in the fifties the best. Though normally I am not big on dogs. Not sure why. Oh wait yes I do. It was probably that time when I was three and at these friends of my parent's house ...more
Judy
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children 8-12, read-aloud for kids
THE SUNDAY FAMILY READ

This was the best book about Henry Huggins so far. Ribsy, Henry's dog, has been getting in trouble lately. Henry wants to go fishing with his dad. The deal is if Henry can keep Ribsy out of trouble for several weeks, he can go fishing.

It is hard, Beezus helps Henry, but Ramona is worse than Ribsy. All the incidents are hilarious as the kids manage to keep Ribsy in line. The pace in this book is relentless.

Then comes the fishing trip with all the great descriptions of the Or
F
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To celebrate the author, Beverly Cleary, 94th birthday last week, I located my copy of Henry and Ribsy -- seven chapters of adventure for any age. I particularly enjoyed Ramona's demand for a P.T.A. in chapter five; Ribsy's rescue in chapter six; and Henry's catch of the Chinook in chapter seven. I had to do my research on "tin pants" and "silverside chinook". Because the book was written in 1954, Henry was delighted with his allowance being raised to 40 cents per week. Gee, how times have chang ...more
Kristine Hansen
Henry just wants to go fishing with his dad. But the deal requires him to keep Ribsy under control. That would be a whole lot easier if circumstances AROUND Ribsy didn't lend themselves to become so much chaos.

Fun to read again as an adult. My daughter loved the book so much she asked for all the other Henry books for Christmas. This is a clear win given my daughter is dyslexic and reading is a horrid chore for her most of the time. Yay for Beverly Cleary!
Elizabeth
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Henry and Ribsy books as a kid. Perhaps it was because I generally have a love for books written by Beverly Cleary, or maybe just because I am so into animals and human relationships. Ribsy was a hilarious fictional dog. He actually acted like a dog, not a romanticized fuzzy human. Loved it!
ABC
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: older-kids
Olivia
A funny, clean book for young readers, as well as old...despite it's simple writing you will be sure to enjoy this one. Henry's dad strikes a bargain with him: if he keeps Ribsy out of travel he'll take Henry on a fishing trip. Easier said than done :)
lily:)
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have fond memories of Ramona in this one! And such a sweet story about the classic "boy and his dog". Great job, Mrs. Cleary!
Serethiel ☽ ✨
I don't think I enjoyed this as much as the first Henry Huggins book, but I still remember liking it well enough. :)
Mike
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-have, kids
These were among my absolute favorite books as a kid.
Brianna
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christy
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the book started out slowly, it soon took off, and I was glued to my headphones. (I was listening to the audio version.) Yes, I know Beverly Cleary’s books are supposed to be for kids, but I’m a sucker for good writing, wherever I find it. And besides, who can resist the fifties nostalgia? A gas station used to be a “service station,” where somebody waited on you! People dumped their garbage into 30-gallon metal garbage cans, and the garbage stuck to the bottom, because there weren’t an ...more
Beth (FebruaryFilly)
Tyler Jones
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, dogs
I guess I was maybe seven when I read this, but not really remembering much about it I decided to read it again out of curiosity. The book, written in 1954, stands up pretty well because Cleary sticks to the basics of good story telling, and that never goes out of style. There are only a few things that today's kid will find strange; a woman pushing a child in a Taylor-tot (an early version of a stroller), tin pants (water-resistant pants worn by fishermen), and the fact that Henry feeds Ribsy c ...more
Ashley Jacobson
Henry knows his dad takes his tooth and puts money under his pillow???? Thanks.......

The kids laughed at some parts. They like that Ribsy was in this book more. Henry has to keep him under control to earn a fishing trip with his dad. It taught responsibility, but was a little much- blaming Henry for every choice the dog made. But I'm just being picky. This is another good installment of the Henry series. A good, quality book that I'm sure we will read again. I'm so glad Neil Patrick Harris narra
Elza Kinde
Joining his father's annual fishing trip would be a dream come true, but in order to prove himself, Henry must keep his danger-prone pet out of trouble. And with a dog like Ribsy, there's no telling when something will go wrong.

Crossing over with the Ramona series, Henry and Ribsy picks up in the peaceful suburbs with the Huggins family, where things are never quiet for very long. Not with a dog like Ribsy around!

An idyllic snapshot of childhood moments, family relationships, and good old Americ
Lisa
Apr 06, 2018 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
WARNING: This books outs the tooth fairy! I wasn't thrilled to discover this when reading aloud to my 3 kids, one of whom hasn't even lost any teeth yet! Why do authors feel the need to do that? First we had Santa and the Tooth Fairy outed by Judy Blume in the Fudge series, now Beverly Cleary had to go and say that Henry knows it is his dad who takes his tooth and puts the money under his pillow. Come on kids' authors! Let the little ones have a little magic without spoiling it. Completely unnec ...more
Nancyliz
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book from my childhood, and I grew up in the same neighborhood as the setting, so it was especially wonderful to read this to my grandkids, who live in Norway. The chapters are lovely little stories about life in a quieter time. Henry is a resourceful little boy, and learning how he figures out workable solutions that include creativity, determination, and work. It is so gratifying. I love this book.
Jarrett Bell
This book is OLD. References to tin lunch boxes, radio songs, metal trash pails, etc. At times you feel like you are reading a Dick and Jane. However, the book really holds up to contemporary standards and my 2nd graders still love it. Such a great example of showing one's writing instead of telling. The most ordinary, day to day, stories (especially in the life of a kid) are the best. So authentic.
Morgan
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Contemporary Realistic
Recommended Grade Level: Middle Grades

Beverly Cleary is one of my favorite authors because of how her characters all intertwine and how each book is set in a simpler time when the pace of life was slower. I liked "Henry and Ribsy" especially for boys, because I feel that sometimes they move to informational text from picture books and never read any stories. Henry is a character that I can see many boys relating to and because it is a series, would get them into read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • Soup & Me
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Anastasia at Your Service (Anastasia Krupnik, #3)
  • McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price
  • Beetles, Lightly Toasted
  • More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain, #2)
  • Henry & Ramona
  • Betsy and Billy
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
  • Pinky Pye (The Pyes, #2)
  • The Paint Brush Kid
  • Pippi Goes on Board
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At

Henry Huggins (6 books)
  • Henry Huggins (Henry Huggins, #1)
  • Henry and Beezus (Henry, #2)
  • Henry and the Paper Route (Henry, #4)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • Ribsy (Henry, #6)