Start by marking “The Lump of Coal” as Want to Read:
The Lump of Coal

The Lump of Coal

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  2,278 Ratings  ·  328 Reviews
This is a story about a lump of coal who can think, talk, and move itself around.

Is there a more charming holiday tale to behold? Probably, but Lemony Snicket has not written one.
Audio, 0 pages
Published September 30th 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Lump of Coal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lump of Coal

karen
Dec 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a nice little holiday book about a piece of coal in a tuxedo.
Amanda
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lump of Coal is not your typical holiday story. This ingenious tale is about a lump of coal, one with a flare for art and the desire to prepare authentic Korean barbecue, who dreams of a holiday miracle. The illustrations of the lump of coal are especially charming.
Melki
Ordinarily the cheery message of "Miracles can happen if you keep on believing" would be enough to set my teeth on edge...HOWEVER...when that message is woven into the tale of a sullen lump of coal who wants to be an artist AND is told by none other than Lemony Snicket - my teeth remain quite happy.

This is a cute, not cutesy, book about a walking, talking lump of coal who really rocks a tux. He dreams artistic little dreams of canvas, galleries and exhibitions, but would settle for life as a bri
Imogen
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lemony Snicket rules and all but mostly I like the crotchety little lump stomping around in his little tuxedo, glaring at everybody. Glare glare glare.
David Schaafsma
Like his mentor Edward Gorey, Lemony Snicket knows how to make fun of nice cultural occasions like Christmas. He takes the idea of the "lump of coal" gift for bad children and just goes goofy on it. He takes a sappy moral like "miracles are everywhere" and makes it both silly and meaningful in his own way: A little lump of coal wants to be an artist, a little-engine-that-could. Brett Helquist's illustrations are terrific. Cute short book with more words than illustrations.
Mariah
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute, short, happy holiday story :)
Ritika Gupta
Miracles are like pimples, because once you start looking for them you find more than you ever dreamed you'd see!
Lemony Snicket! <3
Lisa Vegan
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults who are irreverent about Christmas and much else
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Oh, I was hoping that this would be my last 2010 holiday book; it would have been fitting seeing as how I don’t consider myself to be somebody who is a fan of holiday books. But, I see that there are two more holiday books that I’m expecting from the library. Ah well.

Perhaps this isn’t worth 5 stars but I laughed, a lot, and I thought the whole thing was clever. Much is made fun of here, not just the holidays. Art and the art world are among the subjects skewered here.

The story is very amusing a
Gregory Baird
Dec 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, holiday
Lump of Coal is essentially a picture book, re-teaming the wit and whimsy of Lemony Snicket with the admirable illustrations of Brett Helquist, his collaborator in the Series of Unfortunate Events books. The illustrations, to me, are the main appeal here, but the story isn't without its charm as the titular character goes in search of a purpose in life. It's fluff, not as impactful or lasting as great picture books like Corduroy or Harold and the Purple Crayon, but it is a well executed ...more
Kaethe
2008 December 29

This is going to be a perennial holiday read, I think. And every time I read it, I love it more.

2009 December 19

2012 December 17

It does get better, every year. Favorite line: "The story begins with a lump of coal, who for the sake of argument, could think, talk, and move itself around. Like many people who dress in black, the lump of coal was interested in becoming an artist."

Really, I wish Snicket were devoting his time to writing short stories.

2014 December 11

Natasha r
Anna
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
“The holiday season is a time for storytelling, and whether you are hearing the story of a candelabra staying lit for more than a week, or a baby born in a barn without proper medical supervision, these stories often feature miracles. Miracles are like pimples, because once you start looking for them you find more than you ever dreamed you'd see, and this holiday story features any number of miracles, depending on your point of view.”
― Lemony Snicket, The Lump of Coal

Absolute must!
Marylou
A wonderful Christmas story narrated by the talented Neil Patrick Harris!
Anthe
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel weird entering this as a read book because it's so short but I laughed so much I figured I would anyway
MacK
Great authors often have trouble outdistancing their greatest works. The habits of characterization and rhythm of dialogue becomes less a hallmark of an author's style, and more a fall back position. Instead of developing new skills, an author will remain bound to what had been successful in the past, at the cost of becoming more successful in the future (see: Grafton, Sue).

Lemony Snicket is not that kind of an author. He has completed his Series of Unfortunate Events, and moved on. Though his
Kate
Apr 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you know me, you know that I am a HUMUNGOUS fan of Lemony Snicket. I won’t say Daniel Handler because his adult books just never grabbed me, but when he’s Lemony Snicket, I go bananas.

I’ve seen that some people aren’t as impressed with The Lump of Coal as they were with The Latke Who Couldn’t Stop Screaming: A Christmas Story, but I don’t know if I entirely agree. I liked this book, though I will admit it seems a little watered-down for a Snicket creation. There is the usual dark humor and us
Kat
Dec 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A silly little holiday story about the trials and tribulations of a lump of coal who aspires to make avante-garde art, told in standard Lemony Snicket style; intellectually dry, absurdist, with a dash of morality. This is a short little picture book, so even more so than his other works, the intended audience is ambiguous. Is it really for the kindergarten set? Well, I'm sure many kids would love Helquist's beautiful and narrative illustrations (as usual), but Snicket's verbose, rambling humor e ...more
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was classic Lemony Snicket, just a little bit ridiculous and yet deep at the same time. The ending caught me slightly off guard, but it's probably one of my favorite endings to childrens books.
Radawn
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my new favorite Christmas book! It has everything- great illustrations, cleverly written humor, and on top of all that a heartwarming simple message that is insightful and helps put the holidays in perspective. Love it, Love it, Love it! Go and get a copy TODAY!!!
Nick
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Christmas story. The girls enjoyed it- even if it was out of season.
Jessica
I really don't know what to think of this book.... I listened to the audio book narrated by Neil Patrick Harris. It's about a lump of coal with thoughts and appendages trying to find its purpose and see who it can be helpful to. It's supposed to be a holiday story.
Nesa Sivagnanam
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You always hear people say that pets are for life and not just for Christmas. Well, stories are for life too and just for a season even if they are set in particular season. And sometimes the smallest books carry the biggest messages.

From the quill of Lemony Snicket comes a tiny tale that has no orphans or insane uncles. It does not even run into 2 volumes, let alone a doomed 13. It’s a tiny book which tells a huge tale and it’s called The Lump of Coal. The book is illustrated by Brett Helquist
Drew Graham
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
Once there was a lump of coal who dreamed of blessing the world with his artistic talents. But his journey of self-discovery was more than a little bumpy along the way.

I had heard about this Lemony Snicket Christmas tale before, but never had a chance to pick it up until now, as I've been going through some ancillary Snicket writings. It's a departure for him (up until this point) in that it has nothing to do with Snicket's travels documenting the woeful tale of the Baudelaire orphans, but it's
Susan Rose
"The Holiday Season is a time for storytelling and whether you are hearing the story of a candelabra staying lit for more than a week, or a baby born in a barn without proper medical supervision, these stories often feature miracles. Miracles are like pimples, because once you start looking for them you find more than you ever dreamed you’d see, and this holiday story features any number of miracles, depending on your point of view."

This is the story of a piece of coal who wants to become an art
Smoore
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday, humor
Lemony Snicket's picture book, The Lump of Coal (HarperCollins, 2008), has been released for Christmas. Christmas is a time of miracles, and as Lemony Snicket says, “Miracles are like pimples, because once you start looking for them you find more than you ever dreamed you’d see.” (The book is worth buying for that sentence alone.)

Although not quite as dire as Lemony Snicket’s best-selling Series of Unfortunate Events (it is Christmas after all), The Lump of Coal bears Lemony’s trademark style.
Leah
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic, kids
I am a complete Lemony Snicket worshiper, without exception. The way he deals with any subject with irreverence hidden by neat turns-of-phrase and humorous observations is unequalled, in my opinion.

The lump of coal's narrator is as despondent, observant and hilariou
La Coccinelle
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I'm not a huge Lemony Snicket fan. I tried reading A Series of Unfortunate Events but couldn't get into it (I never even finished the first book). The movie based on those books bored me. So I didn't have super-high expectations when a family member brought this little book home from the library.

It's a cute message wrapped in a well-written little story... but the fun part of this book is really the illustrations. There's just something amusing about a grumpy little piece of coal who sets off to
Carey
Nov 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that the holidays are officially here, the craziness has begun and we are all rush, rush, rushing everywhere. This little book is a fun break from the fray.

With his characteristic humor, Mr. Snicket has created a little leftover lump of barbeque charcoal who has been forgotten in someones backyard. Summer is over and the lump is bored, so he goes rolling out into the world. His journey is a reminder to see and appreciate the small miracles that take place every day. An appropriate message at
Eva Leger
Dec 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
The art here is the best aspect of the book I think. I wouldn't mind having a little lump of coal guy to carry around like him. I'd probably put him in a little sweatsuit and sneakers instead of the suit but that's just me.
I haven't read any reviews here on this book but I'm guessing the book is described often, and well, enough. I'll stick to my feelings. Like I've already said, the art is the best. The story isn't missing anything but it wasn't all that fun to read out loud.
Julia liked that
Sammie
This started as a Christmas gift for my younger cousin and turned into: WHY OH WHY DID I GIVE IT TO HIM?

Really, it's an adorable story. Off-beat, but that's how Lemony Snicket writes. I love the ramblings, the sweet and adorable style (albeit a bit eccentric mostly). But giving it to my two-year-old cousin? Not a bright move.

I do however plan to purchase this for my own little ones one day. While I'd hate to corrupt my cousin with lovely writing like this (if you knew his parents, you'd understa
Michelle
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forgot to review this one at Christmas, but today my son reminded me that he, "just loves that book", and I remembered to post a review. Funny quote first: "Miracles can happen, even to those who are small, flammable, and dressed all in black." Lemony Snicket has fun with the Christmas lump of coal idea by giving it life and personality. The lump of coal even gets to experience Christmas miracles. Best of all, there's a nice message that the miracles and blessings in our lives do not always co ...more
  • Bag in the Wind
  • Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol
  • Muddle Earth Too (Muddle Earth #2)
  • Howl's Moving Castle, Vol. 2 (Howl's Moving Castle Film Comics, #2)
  • The Obstinate Pen
  • Frankenstein Takes the Cake
  • 放浪息子 7
  • The Happy Hocky Family
  • Mary Engelbreit's A Merry Little Christmas: Celebrate from A to Z
  • The Truth Behind A Series of Unfortunate Events: Eyeballs, Leeches, Hypnotism and Orphans --- Exploring Lemony Snicket's World
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
  • Here Comes the Easter Cat

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...
“It is a miracle if you can find true friends, and it is a miracle if you have enough food to eat, and it is a miracle if you get to spend your days and evenings doing whatever it is you like to do, and the holiday season - like all the other seasons - is a good time not only to tell stories of miracles, but to think about the miracles in your own life, and to be grateful for them, and that's the end of this particular story.” 241 likes
“Miracles are like pimples, because once you start looking for them you find more than you ever dreamed you'd see.” 234 likes