Start by marking “Tell Me Something” as Want to Read:
Tell Me Something

Tell Me Something

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  375 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A blank-eyed, silent meditation on young love thwarted and re-kindled. If we can have graphic novels, we can surely have graphic novellas, and this latest book from the acclaimed Norwegian cartoonist Jason is a prime example of a tight, self-contained volume that tells one complete, satisfying story in a compact 48 pages. Tell Me Something picks up the stylized anthropomor ...more
Published June 17th 2004 by Fantagraphics (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me Something, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me Something

Sam Quixote
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
A poet turned pickpocket stumbles across a photo of his beloved, long since gone, in the wallet of his latest mark. As he decides to visit his former love, he discovers her home life with her abusive husband is a miserable one and the circumstances of their breakup wasn’t as it seemed. Will the two find happiness together a second time - or is their love doomed forever?

Tell Me Something is probably Jason’s shortest book and he doesn’t write long ones in the first place! This one is just as memor
Anthony Vacca
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another early (almost) silent work by Jason. Tell Me Something does a back-and-forth game of telling the tragic romance of an anthropomorphic pickpocket poet and his one true love. A simple but effective shading of the space bordering the panels ques the reader onto the leapfrogs in time. As plausibly plotted as a Hitchcock flick, Tell Me Something is another bang-up comic about what a weird, wonderful, awful world we live in.
Rachel
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not sure what to make of this—I just feel like there's not enough scaffolding to tell this story. I'm interested in what's going on here, but it's like I tell my poetry students: you have to do at least 51% of the storytelling if I'm meant to meet you halfway.
Norman
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very inventive storytelling - back and forths between two timelines of our protagonist and his love - one about their early times and one in the present where he and his love find each other again. Lots of drama, lots of heart. Not my favorite Jason book so far as I did find it slightly underwhelming, though of course, being a Jason book it felt quite substantial. Perhaps it was the sparseness of the length and not having enough room to stretch its legs and fluff up our relationships with the ch ...more
Alexander Lisovsky
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
История любви, грусти, пересекающихся судеб и драмы в мире человекоподобных существ Джейсона. На этот раз практически без диалогов.
Dimitris
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ah.. well

Jason's work has always been hit or miss with me, and this one, as you can see, is a miss... missing too much. Maybe cuz it was so short?

It's about a guy who's a poet and a thief.. he steals a wallet and finds inside a picture which at first we think he has fallen in love with that girl he sees in it, but turns out it's his old lost love, and he sets out to find her and reunite with her... going through some adventures and whatnot.

Well, it didn't do anything for me, and it wasn't even
Ross McLean
This is may be lesser Jason, but it's still Jason.

Tell Me Something tells of two lovers that the world wants to keep apart. At first I had trouble keeping the two timelines straight in my head, but I think I'm to blame for that. Jason uses a lot of subtle visual cues to distinguish between the two: the background color around the panels, silent movie intertitles in the earlier timeline, era-appropriate hats, etc. His style is so simple, but there is always more subtlety than first meets the eye.
Elizabeth
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Drawn in the style of a silent movie, with what little dialogue there is in its own panels, Jason tries to recapture the intensity of glance and the significance of gesture used in silent-era romances and fuse it with the comic format. This thriller-style romance also takes much from modern-day films, shifting in and out of time periods, to show the kindling of a romance alongside its rekindling. Interesting and compelling, it works, but it has more action and less ache than his other books, so ...more
Monica
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
One of the few Jason's I hadn't been able to get me hands on - until now (thanks to a generous inter-library loan). This is traditional Jason with a nearly wordless story and a tragic bent. The similar looking characters and divergent timelines made this one a little confusing for me at first - I had to go back through it a second time to finally understand the arc.

Still - there's nobody like Jason.
Aditya Vipradas
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I did not understand this story in the first read. A frequent shift between the present, the flashback and the fantasy world made it very difficult for me to comprehend the proceedings. I had to scroll through the panels numerous times to get a hang of it. But when I did, I was literally awestruck for a while. How can any person convey so much through silent comic panels? But Jason surely can.
Tim
Dec 16, 2008 rated it liked it
I was really, really confused the first couple of times through this comic. Turns out what I thought were fantasies were actually flashbacks. Oops.

Similar to Jason's earlier works, not much talking at all. This one is a love story between a couple that was forced apart.
Freddy
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In the span of the last two hours, I've become a Jason fan. There are maybe twenty words in this whole book, but the lack of action "writing" is carried by expert pacing, a unique minimalist style, and simple yet complex story.
Vikram Jaswal
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jason's work is lyrical but scary. The first work I read by him was " I killed Adolf Hitler " which whisked me away.
But each and every work has the same effect and triggers a different emotion.
Talking about this novella it'll break your heart.
Jane
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Definitely my favorite so far by this author. Admittedly it took me until the very end to figure out the difference between the black pages and the white pages, but that did not detract from my enjoyment. A love story of the tragic variety.
chris
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I had been trying to order this book forever, and so I finally got myself down to the Fantagraphics store, and there it was. It is Jason in my favorite form, mostly wordless; a simple and slow-moving story full of slapstick and tragedy.
Gaelen
Nov 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Leonardo
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-digital, graphics
Este me costó un poco más, me pareció más difícil, y lo leí dos veces. No sé si lo terminé de entender del todo.
Sowmya
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it
With less than 10 lines of dialogue, he tells everything and calls it "tell me something" :-) The more I read/see his work, the more I like him.
David
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Sadder than some of his other books. Again, for me, the characters aren't particularly sympathetic so I find it hard to care too much.
Martina
Aug 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Cinta terlarang, kayak Siti Nurbaya aja, tapi ala Jason.. Komik tanpa kata-kata, agak susah juga memahaminya, jadi perlu bolak-balik beberapa kali baru ngeh jalan ceritanya :P
lesleymac
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book feels like a silent, black and white noir film. Sad but beautiful.
Destinee Sutton
Oct 27, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic
Not my favorite, but pretty good. It's like a silent movie, a tragic silent movie where the heroine snorts drugs.
Foo
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think I may have to reread this, or maybe just more slowly. Fantastic nonetheless.
Sardonyx
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This one definitely ranks up there with my favorite Jason books. Jason truly has a gift for conveying so much story with maybe 4 sentences total in the entire thing!
David Delrie
  • Monsters
  • The Ticking
  • Kings in Disguise: A Novel
  • Dogs and Water
  • Nemi - Vol. 2 (Nemi, #2)
  • Mister Wonderful: A Love Story
  • Special Exits
  • Drawn & Quarterly: Twenty-five Years of Contemporary Cartooning, Comics, and Graphic Novels
  • Good-Bye
  • Market Day
  • Susceptible
There are multiple authors with this single name, but Goodreads is unable to differentiate between them. The most prominent is the author below.

John Arne Sæterøy (born 16 May 1965 in Molde), better known by the pen name Jason, is a Norwegian cartoonist, known for his sparse drawing style and silent, anthropomorphic animal characters.

He has been nominated for two Ignatz Awards (2000: Outstanding St