Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist

Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  529 ratings  ·  94 reviews
Grca_badge_winner
Winner of the Goodreads Best Cookbook of 2013 award

“Entertaining and beautifully designed . . . it's a joy.” —London Evening Standard

“Pun-tastic cocktail delights . . . peruse it to find your book club's next read (and cocktail).” —Epicurious.com

This wry homage to classic literature features some 65 cocktail recipes, from Are You There God? It's Me, Margarita to The Last...more
Published 2013 by Running Press Book Publishers

Naomi
Blog review in progress

Initial thoughts: Are you serious? A book that combines two of my favorite things...books and drinks? Yep...and this one was pure brilliant creativity! The drinks, for the most part, are unusual drinks that are paired up with books named after them. For the most part, ingredients would be easy to locate (although there are a couple that might need some searching and ordering). There are recipes for drinks for a crowd or your favorite book club. To boot, there is a recipe f...more
DW
Another not-so-hidden diamond from Tim Federle. Concise, informative and always funny, I loved that the beginning included the tools you need, the equipment you need and the techniques for making a great drink. As much as I would like to, I will refrain from naming all of the 'literary' drinks that made me laugh out loud (that's LOL to anyone under 25) and just give a few of my favorite names and the resulting drink: "The Cooler Purple" made with blackberry liqueur was ca-razy good; "A Farewell...more
Jackie
I'm a bit surprised this is listed on Goodreads, since it's mostly a recipe book. That said, I've read the main introduction, general intros, and basically every part that's not a recipe so far (you read anything you can get your hands on on long metro rides). It's rather witty, although it skews a little bit to the "I'm pandering to a college crowd" side with its frequent mentions of red solo cups and freshman year. No reason you can't market this book to an older generation - they'd be more li...more
Darlene
I'm not much of a 'drinker'.. I have an occasional glass of wine in social situations and when I was much younger, perhaps a shot or two of Tennessee whiskey. However, I needed a couple of drink ideas for a social gathering I was attending and I came across this wonderful book, "Tequila Mockingbird"! This book is divided into sections.... drinks targeted to women'; drinks suggested for men, drinks for those who don't imbibe and even a section for snacks that can be made to accompany these very '...more
Cheri
Neat idea - bad drinks
Linnie Greene
While it operates on a literary, theme-centric conceit, this is still my very favorite, most practical cocktail book. Others have either been too boring (alright, we get it, you mix orange juice and vodka) or too intricate (heat the rind of a persimmon to exactly 375 degrees, then sautee it in a dark rum reduction, etc. etc.). This one falls in that perfect middle place -- whimsical and exciting, like Remembrance of Things Pabst, which blends earl grey and PBR, but also highly practical like the...more
Bebe (Sarah) Brechner
A fantastically entertaining little book that gives a witty look at original cocktail recipes that are aligned with literature classics (and some not-so-classic). I adore the author's humor. This excerpt from the introduction sums up the tone: "Let's get a little stupid and look a little smart. Even if you don't have a BA in English, tonight you're gonna drink like you do."

Recipes such as Tequila Mockingbird, A Cocktail of Two Cities, and Absinthe Shrugged are just a few of the wonderfully named...more
Kyle Kimmal
We all need a new mixology book like another martini. Come on you know it is true. I found my summer cocktail in this book. Anyone in a book club MUST get this book! The humor and references to the cannon make surviving a book club fun.
Aeicha
This is perfect for any booknerd! My sister and I sat down and read (and laughed!) it all in an hour. We found some awesome new drinks to try and enjoyed the humorous brief book synopses. Definitely the classiest group of drinks around!
Sydney
This book had me laughing before I even passed the table of contents! I can't wait to use Tequila Mockingbird, Cocktails with a Literary Twist for my next cocktail party. Fun AND useful! Federle's wit is unparalleled.
Ruan Peat
I loved this book, the recpies and the puns made me giggle out loud, the theme is well done and runs all the way through it, not a weak page! my book of the winter!
Katie
One of the most thoughtful and hilarious Christmas gifts imaginable!
Scott
I like to read. I like to drink! What's not to love about this cheeky thing!
Julie
Fun play on words cocktail names and the recipes! Great idea for book groups to incorporate into their meetings! I especially liked Are You There God? It's Me Margarita and The Pitcher of Dorian Grey Goose. Very creative idea and the "book cover" drawing are fun.
Heather
cocktails with a literary twist, so fun. I want to make Are you there God, it's me, Margarita, Gone with the Wine, The Adventures of Sherbet Holmes, Pear the Wild Things Are (as a hangover cure!) and Cherry Poppins. Fabulous little book.
Jessica
How could I possibly resist this book when I saw it on the new releases shelf at the library?!? Subtitled "Cocktails with a Literary Twist", this little book is a witty twist on a cocktail recipe book. Each cocktail has a name inspired by a book title and along with the recipe there is a cute, humorous synopsis of the book. The book includes cocktails such as Bridget Jones' Daquiri, Gin Eyre, Love in the Time of Kahlua, and The Last of the Mojitos. The book also contains some recipes for bar sna...more
Gayan
I am going to work my way through this book and drink one of each.
LiteraryMarie
Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist is a clever tribute that should be displayed on every bookheart's bar or coffee table. It is the perfect cocktail book for the literary obsessed! About 65 drink recipes are named after classic novels. The book also includes drinking games, special gulps for guys, bar bites (appetizers), a glossary and illustrations. Charm your guests by trying a few of these cocktails during your next book club meeting or holiday gathering.

Literary Marie of Pr...more
Jenny
This is a recipe book for mainly alcoholic drinks based on various books presented in humorous fashion. Who can resist "The Turn of the Screwdriver", "The Last of the Mojitos", and "The Joy Luck Club Soda" for example? Also provides a quick overview of these seminal reads. Required reading for anyone with a liberal arts education and a minor in ETOH.
Lynn Sherman
A must read. we were getting ready for our Latkes and Vodkas party. My daughter brought this book home and I opened it with a little interest but no expectations. It's hilarious and helpful. There is a cocktail ,or mocktail, for everyone. It is a thoroughly entertaining book.
carla
2.5 stars. Recipes themselves are either classics the author renamed or syrupy sweet concoctions. Cute names and snarky re-caps of books make it a quick read but don't think I will be using this as a go-to guide.
Lisa
Another by Tim Federle. Put this book on your coffee table (where mine is) and watching every one who sits near it pick up the book and flip thru. Loving the drink recipes and stories--am also sure to love the drinks!
Nancy
This was such a fun book that I think I may have to buy copies to give out as Christmas gifts this year! LOVED IT! Had me cracking up as only a true literary nerd can crack up over a book like this.
Gail
A little too in love with its own cleverness and fixated on undergrad mindsets (with some undergrad level stereo-typing). I'm not convinced the drinks would live up to the names.
Kara
May 21, 2013 Kara rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: gag gift for English majors

Bad, bad word play, a look-how-clever-I-am attidude, unfunny jokes, constant mocking, odd references to movie adapatations, and overall just bluegh!
Emily
Ingenuous!!! I laughed and laughed and then couldn't understand why I didn't write this!!!! I give you, Tim, a standing ovation. Bravo.
Rafael
Good preparatory literature for Xmas family dinner. Very motivating.
Stephanie
Clever idea, and a fun read, though most of the cocktails are just cleverly renamed versions of things you've already had.
Mary Catherine
I basically want to make every cocktail in this book -- then read excerpts of the book it's based on while I drink.
Yana L
Read the recipes and intros like a novel, and the illustrations are like a cherry on top.
  • The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks
  • Vegetable Literacy: Cooking and Gardening with Twelve Families from the Edible Plant Kingdom
  • Happy Herbivore Abroad: A Travelogue and Over 135 Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes from Around the World
  • Moosewood Restaurant Favorites: The 250 Most-Requested, Naturally Delicious Recipes from One of America's Best-Loved Restaurants
  • Notes from the Larder: A Kitchen Diary with Recipes
  • The Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum
  • Drink: A Cultural History of Alcohol
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays
  • It's All Good: Delicious, Easy Recipes That Will Make You Look Good and Feel Great
  • Jim Henson: The Biography
  • And a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails
  • The Taste of Country Cooking
  • How Carrots Won the Trojan War: Curious (but True) Stories of Common Vegetables
  • The Fall of Arthur
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition
  • The Vintage Tea Party Book
  • Handwritten Recipes: A Bookseller's Collection of Curious and Wonderful Recipes Forgotten Between the Pages
Tim Federle grew up in San Francisco and Pittsburgh before moving to New York to dance on Broadway. Tim's debut novel, Better Nate Than Ever -- described as "Judy Blume as seen through a Stephen Sondheim lens" by Huffington Post -- was named a New York Times Book Review Notable Children's Book of 2013, a Slate.com Favorite Book of 2013, an Amazon Best Book of 2013, and a Publishers Weekly Best Boo...more
More about Tim Federle...
Better Nate Than Ever Five, Six, Seven, Nate! Hickory Daiquiri Dock: Cocktails with a Nursery Rhyme Twist Untitled (Theater Kid Chronicles, #1) Tommy Can't Stop!