Start by marking “Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #3)

Dreams of Gods and Monsters

(Daughter of Smoke & Bone #3)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  77,319 ratings  ·  10,248 reviews
Two worlds are poised on the brink of a vicious war. By way of a staggering deception, Karou has taken control of the chimaera's rebellion and is intent on steering its course away from dead-end vengeance. The future rests on her.

When the brutal angel emperor brings his army to the human world, Karou and Akiva are finally reunited - not in love, but in a tentat
Published April 8th 2014 by Little, Brown & Company

To ask other readers questions about Dreams of Gods and Monsters, please sign up.
Danielle No one know for sure... But Laini Taylor did hint in an interview that if she were to write a spin-off, it wouldn't center around Karou and Akiva. She…moreNo one know for sure... But Laini Taylor did hint in an interview that if she were to write a spin-off, it wouldn't center around Karou and Akiva. She said it would most likely center two other side characters, with Karou and Akiva in the background. Just saying though, I so very HOPE there will be a spin off. (less)
Shauna Karou: Lily Collins (with black eyes and blue hair)
Akiva: Colton Haynes
Liraz: Dakota Fanning
Zuzana: Vanessa Hudgens
Thiago:…more
Karou: Lily Collins (with black eyes and blue hair)
Akiva: Colton Haynes
Liraz: Dakota Fanning
Zuzana: Vanessa Hudgens
Thiago: Orlando Bloom (From his role in Lord Of The Rings)
Issa: Jackie Cruz
Hazael: Lucas Till
Mik: Andrew Garfield
Eliza: Kat Graham
These are just the people I imagine everyone to be <3 (less)
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
2,435 books — 15,678 voters
YA Novels of 2014
1,543 books — 9,147 voters

More lists with this book...

·  77,319 ratings  ·  10,248 reviews

Start your review of Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #3)
Regan
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.25

Really enjoyed it but I should have completed this series sooner!
Navessa
In my review for Days of Blood and Starlight I basically said that Laini Taylor could re-write the phone book and I'd give it ALL the stars. So she wrote me a phone book. And I found out I was mistaken.

If this had progressed like it opened, I would have fangirled over it as hard as I did for the first two installments. The characters we've come to love have formed a shaky alliance with those they've called enemies for all their lives (<--- plural, get it? BECAUSE RESURECTION, HAHAHAHA). They're about
Jay Z
Apr 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Outside, the moon hung low. It sang of tremulous shadows and evenings past, of urban gunpowder and decay. In trembling hands, the reader held it. Alas, not the moon but something better. The solid weight of the book, after months of yearning and patient waiting. A creep of color in her cheeks, an imperceptible shiver of anticipation. Finally. She held it, not daring to believe -- but unable to stem the tide of hope and eagerness. It felt heavy. Six hundred and thirteen pages. An ending. A begin ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Reread with friends over at For Love Of A Book. CHECK OUT MY WALL ART OF KAROU

I'm so happy with this ending ❤

Karou and Akiva must find a way to bring the beasts and angels together to fight againstclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
I'm
Elaine
Laini Taylor is god, or well, a godstar and I will forever be sitting in awe of her genius imagination.

In all honesty, this trilogy hands down deserves a solid five glowing stars (or more really) but I just can't help but feel a little let down by the lack of a climax in this last book. The last was chock full of gorgeously amazing prose as per usual and Zuze's hilarious and impactful one-liners but I couldn't help but crave for more action. Perhaps the second just blew me away with its epic-ness. We als
Elise (TheBookishActress)
my future wife: do you love me
me: yes
my future wife: are you ever going to love me as much as you love Liraz from those books you read five years ago
me: ...I’ll get back to you on that

This series has moved so far beyond its roots in DoSaB. Dreams of Gods and Monsters is a war epic, not just the story of a demon and angel's forbidden love. Everything lovely about the first book is simply one part of a whole story. There's so much nuance to both the themes and the characters. This is a series you could analyze for/>/>my/>
Natalie Monroe
Cynical Natalie: Since no one else in this goddamn city has the guts to say this, I will: Why the fuck is the Daughter of Smoke & Bone series so popular?

Nice Natalie: Hush! Do you want to alienate everyone in the YA community before this review has even started?

Cynical Natalie: Someone has to be the voice of reason.

Nice Natalie: Oh, get off your high horse. I remember a certain someone ignoring the cute guy in class because she couldn't stop reading The Dreams of Gods & Monsters.

Cynical Natalie: That was only because I was in the middle of
Steph Sinclair
I enjoyed this finale much more than I did Days of Blood and Starlight. There’s just something about seeing Karou and Akiva steal away precious moments in the midst of impending death. However, I wasn’t completely satisfied with the ending. Taylor chose to introduce new characters and it felt a bit jarring for a final book. Out of nowhere, characters who I’d just met suddenly became extremely important to the plot when all I really wanted was more Karou and Akiva. The sexual tension and want bet ...more
Samantha
3.75 stars! I still really enjoyed this book but I felt this could have been a 4 book series, so the last half in particular felt a bit disjointed. Review to come on my channel!
karen
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
words fail me.

this book has left me stunned and gasping and utterly satisfied, but unable to string together the words to convey the feels.

this is such a satisfying conclusion (view spoiler) to a trilogy that owns my heart completely.

and yes, i gave this one four stars, not five. but that doesn't mean i didn't love it like crazy. it just means that it was not as good as Days of Blood & Starlight, but it's really immaterial - this book sings.

her worldbuilding
Nick
description

It's been a while since I read "Days of blood and starlight". If you know me you would probably know that I am an ultimate fan of the this series. It's one of my all time favorites. I have saved this one for the winter break,but before I read this I wanted a feedback from you.Have you read it and if so,what did you think?

Hannah
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The perfect conclusion.

This trilogy is everything.
jessica
well, this unfortunately just earned itself a place on my ‘series i tried to love as much as everyone else, but failed to’ list, right next to the raven cycle. a sad day for all involved.

there was definitely a lot more going on in this than there was in the second book. but it just felt so all over the place? like, the conflict that had been brewing in the previous books is resolved without a whole lot of fanfare. its kind of just over with one conversation, in one chapter. even though there were
April
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"We haven't been introduced."

What a perfect ending to this fantastic series.
Nataliya
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
"It was not a happy ending, but a happy middle - at last, after so many fraught beginnings."
And so the last page is turned, and I'm feeling content. I was afraid of disappointment, but it never came.

This story started strong, soared in the middle and came a conclusion that made me happy - with a slight open-endedness that is there as a gentle reminder that beyond the conclusion for the Chimaera and the Seraphim, Karou and Akiva there's more. Because no good story is truly complete just with a happy ending alone. T
Whitney Atkinson
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
I don't know what happened but this book just got SO boring! The first two had a really cool world and the characters were so funny and dynamic but this just lost everything. It focused on characters I didn't care about, and it made the plot contingent on people I couldn't care less about. The war aspects of this book were skimmed over, and I'm just so confused. I hate books that talk about the paranormal/fantasy world spilling over into the normal human world, because there's just no way to rec ...more
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
Wowwee wow. Laini Taylor is one of a kind.
Dorreh
Nov 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book. I really did, honest, but it just didn't amaze.

I picked up the daughter of smoke and bone based on the recommendation of a fellow book junky.Needless to say i simply adored the book. It was so innovative and incredibly unique, so much so that you felt yourself drifting through the pages with this sense of euphoria. I loved the characters, the humor, the incredible setting, and the constant turmoil that sprung the book to life. Although i do admit i was never a big fa
Claudia Ramírez
I forgot to update this when I finished!!! Will write my review later :).

I think it's really a 4.5. But oh, I loved this book!
Jill
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it

Once upon a time, an angel and a devil pressed their hands to their hearts and started the apocalypse.

description

The Visitors have arrived. First appearing in Uzbekistan, they land finally in St Peter's Basilica, Rome. Jael and his army of angels have come to Earth.

Once
Lauren
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I finished Dreams of Gods and Monsters with the overwhelming feeling of crushing disappointment. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I'm devastated by this book, and upset at myself for not being able to like it more. The thing is, this is not a bad story. It contains beautiful scenes, moments of greatness, and of course, beloved characters. But so much of that was overshadowed by extras. My only explanation is that the ideas of this story got to be too big for even what this one massive page cou ...more
Jenny
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So I finished it...

Pre-Review:
(view spoiler)
Ails
5 STARS

This series felt like a dream. A lush and beautiful and riveting dream.

“Absence has presence, sometimes, and that was what she felt. Absence like crushed-dead grass where something has been and is no longer. Absence where a thread has been ripped, ragged, from a tapestry, leaving a gap that can never be mended. That was all she felt.”

Absence. And that was what I felt after reading the final book in this series.

I'm in awe. What a grand and spectacular way to end this stunning trilogy of war and magic.

The story is huge
Aj the Ravenous Reader
"Happiness wasn't a mystical place to be reached or won--some bright terrain beyond the boundary of misery, a paradise waiting for them to find it--but something to carry doggedly with you through everything, as humble and ordinary as your gear and supplies."

Months of gathering courage wasn't enough preparation for this epic finale because after reading the book, I still ended up in a state I tried so hard to avoid- an emotional mess!!!

After reading Allegiant, I made a promise to myself ne
Tatiana
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The mythology becomes a little overcomplicated, a bit of deus ex machina in the end, maybe too much of Karou/Akiva romantic tension (can't they just do "it" already?). But all in all very satisfying. I think I would enjoy a (view spoiler)story a lot (I am a big time shipper of these two).
Charlotte May
"We will fight for our world to the last echo of our souls."

3.5 ⭐

Not gonna lie. I didn’t entirely get the ending...
This took me far longer than a book of this length normally would, I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Days of Blood & Starlight but for whatever reason, I just couldn't enjoy this one in the same way.
It's very long, there are a lot of descriptions of the war, and the relations between Chimera and Serphim, I definitely feel like some of it could have been cut down.
Karo
Helena of Eretz ✰
Henceforth, November shall be known as “Laini Taylor-month” for me. Every year, from now on, November shall be the month for marathoning her amazing books!!!

Let’s face it...who here — who knows me — is actually surprised by this rating? I have an obsession and that obsession is called Books Written By Laini Taylor. xD

This is one of the most epic conclusions that I’ve ever read to a series. Talk about an amazing ending! My ships sailed and my babies lived happily ever after. ...That’s good enough for me! ;) I serio“Laini
Paul
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who: need to see Karou and Akiva's journey ended.
***I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.***

***There may or may not be spoilers here. It all depends upon whether or not you've read the last two books, and if you want absolutely nothing about the end revealed or not. I keep things vague, and do not give away any details, but my mentioning the conclusion at all could potentially ruin things for you.***

Once upon a time, there was a girl. She lived
megs_bookrack
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a previous stutter start with this one, I have finally completed the series!

I listened to the audiobooks of all three. The narrator is the same throughout and she does an incredible job bringing this story to life. The first time I tried this one however, I kept getting to the same spot and getting stuck. My mind would just be wandering away.

This time around, I was determined. I could do this and, you know, I am glad I did. Also happy to be done with this series. I leave so many series u
Lucy Langford
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5****

“Once upon a time, there was only darkness. And there were monsters vast as worlds who swam in it.”

A satisfying end to this trilogy- Laini Taylor does it again! This book picked up straight after the events in book 2- the angels have entered Earth much to humans wonderment. Karou has taken control of the chimaera rebellion, and with Akiva, they must bring together both the Chimaera and Angel rebellion to work together to bring a future to both armies, instead of just a war ravag/>“Once

• Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1)
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
  • A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2)
  • Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)
Hi! I write fantasy books. My latest is STRANGE THE DREAMER, about a young librarian, a mythic lost city, and the half-human children of murdered gods. Check it out :-) Before that I wrote the DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE trilogy, which has been translated into 32 languages. It's about a blue-haired art student raised by monsters, a broken angel, and a war that has raged for 1000 years in another ...more

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (3 books)
  • Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)
  • Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
“You are a conniving, deceitful hussy. I stand in awe."
"You're sitting."
"I sit in awe.”
516 likes
“Wasn't that what religions did? Squint at one another and declare, 'My unprovable belief is better than your unprovable belief. Suck it.” 470 likes