Start by marking “Sólo el acero (Tierra de héroes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sólo el acero (Tierra de héroes, #1)

Sólo el acero (A Land Fit for Heroes #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  11,761 Ratings  ·  976 Reviews
¿Qué es de los héroes cuando las guerras terminan?

Para Ringil Ojos de Ángel, la posguerra han sido largos años exiliado, ganándose el pan con el relato de sus hazañas mientras su espada, la legendaria Críacuervos, cuelga olvidada sobre la chimenea.

Para Egar el Matadragones, el triunfal retorno a las estepas como señor de su clan nómada está marcado por la nostalgia que sie
Published April 20th 2012 by Alamut Ediciones (first published August 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sólo el acero, please sign up.

Charles I came away with the impression the world of the story was either an alt-Earth or the Earth very far in the future. I assumed the 'gods' were…moreI came away with the impression the world of the story was either an alt-Earth or the Earth very far in the future. I assumed the 'gods' were post-humans. In the same way, the Helmsmen were biological AIs.(less)

Brad
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have too much to write about The Steel Remains to put it all into a coherent paragraph by paragraph review, so I am just going to ramble around a bit and write what I need to write.

Mind-Blowing: That's my instant reaction after finishing this book. But the mind-blowingness began in the midst of the first chapter. I intentionally slowed down my reading so that I could savour every word, but by the time Ringil came out of the grey mists with his dwenda lover, Seethlaw, and his lover's gang of fu
Carol.
Into every life a book that destroys the rating system must come--The Steel Remains is leading for 2016. Naomi and I were looking for a buddy read, and this was on both of our TBR lists. It was on mine because I generally enjoyed Morgan's science fiction Kovacs series. Still, I've been off on fantasy lately, unless it's the genre-bending type. Once I and heard that two of the leads were gay, I was curious to see how that would play out.

The Steel Remains opens in a scene familiar to many; an agin
Mayim De Vries

You need to admit that as far as epic opening sentences go, this one scores pretty high. It promises you a rich world, a solid narrator with just the right touch of dry sarcasm, and a constant action.
Sandi
I wanted to like The Steel Remains so much more than I actually did. I was so looking forward to reading it. I've read two of Richard K. Morgan's science fiction novels, Thirteen and Altered Carbon and thought they were unique and amazing. Morgan takes sex and violence to a level I would never be able to tolerate in a movie and manages to glamorize neither. He reveals the damage violence does to those who commit it, even the bad guys. He really understands socio-politics and is great at extrapol ...more
Kaora
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a man you know of sound mind tells you his recently deceased mother has just tried to climb in his bedroom window and eat him, you only have two basic options. You can smell his breath, take his pulse, and check his pupils to see if he's ingested something nasty, or you can believe him.

And thus begins The Steel Remains, a whirlwind of sex, violence and sorcery that sucked me in and left me wanting more 390 pages later.

Where other men see only the rim of the world, you must look beyond. You
Felicia
May 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. I loved his Sci-Fi stuff, but this fell flat to me. It felt like he was trying to break the cliches of fantasy novels but just doing the opposite of the cliche, rather than dig deep into the characters to make them real and believable. I wanted to love this book, with a gay male protagonist, but I never believed him as a character. Same for the other characters, they were missing heart and a sense of reality that could have take it from reverse ...more
Alex Ristea
This is going to sound like a total cop-out and the worst description ever, but if I had to explain this book it would simply be a "modern fantasy."

It's full of the world-building tropes (maps! magical swords! creepy demons!) that keep us coming back to the genre, but written in a style that hasn't impressed me this much since I first read Abercrombie's First Law trilogy.

There is swearing. Lots of it. There is blood. Lots of it. There is fucking. Lots of it. (See where I'm going with this?)

I kno
Stephen
5.5 stars. Richard Morgan is one of my favorite authors so needless to say I am a big fan of his writing style, his characters and his very gritty, violent stories. I thought this was a brilliant fantasy "noir" novel that was never boring. I thought Morgan took some real chances in this book (most notably the graphic sexual descriptions involving the main character) but Morgan has never been one to shy away from telling a story his way. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!!

Voted to SFSite Reader's
Alissa
Apr 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
Abercrombie's, Lawrence's (especially), Salyards's and Weeks's fans, this may be the next grimdark series for you. There is irony in all its forms, gallows humor, smoke gray morality, swearing, religious satire, subverted fantasy heroes, assorted trigger warnings and bucket-loads of cynicism.

Speaking about this first book what I liked the most are the opening line, the world-building and the presence of well-rounded adult characters. The protagonists are not in their twilight years of course, bu
Cathy
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jim
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
A very interesting book. His website calls it noir fantasy. I guess I kind of get that. It's certainly not the lovely elves dancing under the moon kind of book. War, violence, intolerance, politics, and religion all play a part. There is a lot of crude language and some sexually explicit scenes. The main character. Ringil, is a self-proclaimed queer. If you find homosexuality, or outright heterosexuality, both in scenes and language, to be offensive, this is not the book for you. I actually foun ...more
Stephen
5.0 stars (would give it more if I could). Incredible fantasy novel by one of my favorite authors. Morgan's first fantasy novel is an outstanding accomplishment. Stands beside (1) The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, (2) the Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch and (3) the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie as the most entertaining fantsy novel to come out in the last 5 years. Highly recommended!!
Liviu
I've been a big fan of R. Morgan ultra violent, ultra dark and quite explicit novels since his extraordinary debut Altered Carbon. Though in his last novels the repetitions of themes, plot and gimmicks became a bit tiresome, in The Steel Remains Mr. Morgan moves to epic/adventure fantasy and reinvigorates said themes. While longtime readers of his novels will be less surprised at the twists and turns of this novel because of the echoes of previous works, there is a lot of new stuff here and the ...more
Robin Hobb
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An engrossing read. Sometimes fate just won't leave you alone. Excellent.
BookBandit
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Richard Morgan fantasy novel and it won't be my last.

Take 1 part grimdark add 1 part epic fantasy; blend well; bake 45 mins = bloody corpses, ghouls, sex-sexual violence, multiple races, broadswords, axes, politics and political maneuvering, potassium sorbate (to preserve freshness) and science-magic.

The book can fall into the occasional lull; however, as a whole, it is a strong 1st novel of a series. It is a no holds-barred introduction into a dark and epic world which has yo
Shaitarn .
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another grimdark fantasy novel. The three main characters of this book are veterans from a war against the lizard folk over a decade ago. All of them are damaged in some way: Ringil, our nominal hero, is gay in a culture where gay men are publicly executed. Egar Dragonbane is a steppe nomad chieftain; having seen the world as a young mercenary he’s frustrated and feels trapped in his clan, unable to leave and surrounded by people who don’t look any further than the horizon, Archeth is a half-hum ...more
Ben Babcock
Goodness, it’s been a long time since I read Altered Carbon , and nearly as long since I heard about The Steel Remains, Richard K. Morgan’s foray into fantasy, and knew I needed to give it a try. I was intrigued by the promise of a gritty approach to epic fantasy. Much like in the shooter genre of video games, the term gritty as applied to fantasy can get tossed around a lot without much accuracy. But I was pretty certain Morgan would deliver. In this respect he did. As a novel, however, The St ...more
Freakout
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books, fantasy
dark and gritty non-standard fantasy, excellent !!!
Wealhtheow
Dec 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of badass warriors dealing with complicated political realities
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: Lightreads
Basically, this book takes high fantasy tropes and screws with them. This is not a parody; it's not so facile. But the author has clearly read and loved a great deal of fantasy in his life, and knows the basic stories well. And when he grew tired of the easy answers and Light vs Dark epic battles, he created this.

The elves have left Middle Earth--but they were actually aliens, driven half-mad by their flight across the stars, and the half-Elven Princess they leave behind them is a black lesbian
Perry Whitford
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Richard K. Morgan has made quite a name for himself as a hard-edged, contemporary science fiction novelist, winner of a good number of the awards available after just a handful of publications. Here he tries his hand at writing a fantasy with a grim, visceral presentation and a couple of unusual, contemporary tropes.

To give due, The Steel Remains is fairly strong on narrative drive. However, it is simply horrid when it comes to dialogue. Clearly Morgan wants us to like his main characters - tho
James
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Richard K. Morgan completists, fantasy haters
Before you ask, I got my copy of this book through Amazon.co.uk, where the book is in print today. This is my habit with Morgan's books, rather than waiting another year for them in the United States.

Traditionally, in Noir, it's customary to have a protagonist who is morally compromised, but who at least tries to better himself/herself, the world, etc. Morgan seems to have missed that point with the utterly unlikable Ringel, protagonist of The Steel Remains. Ringel is an empty husk of a human be
Monica
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
End of the year reviews have me swamped, but expect reviews for all three books in this series soon! Until then: this novel is an incredibly original fantasy with a complex protagonist with a strong and engaging narrative voice. The secondary POV characters give the reader a glimpse of the complexity and intricacies of Morgan's world building, and once the plot grabs your attention it will not let go until the novel's end.
Marc Aplin
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Joe Abercrombie fans
Recommended to Marc by: Jon Weir
The Steel Remains is an interesting book to say the least...

It seems to be the results of renowned Sci-Fi author 'Richard K. Morgan's' attempt to shake up the at times stale Fantasy Genre. In traditional fantasy we tend to expect a hero who is loved and admired, merciful, an honorable and triumphant past, women to swoon over him and of course; a noteworthy quest he must complete.

Well, The Steel Remains gives us a character who is pretty much immoral, bloodthirsty, hated among his people, gay an
Jason
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2013
5 Stars

Move over Takeshi Kovacs, I will take Ringil Eskiath as my hero to follow. I loved every bit of this book and was equally enamored with conclusion and the epilogue. This is Richard Morgan’s foray into the realm of epic fantasy, a huge leap from the futuristic cyberpunk that he has previously written. This book like all his book is an action novel done up to its setting. This means that his books are easy to chew up as they are never dull and there is little introspective time. It was just
Michael
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
Richard K. Morgan has made a career of taking the familar elements of science-fiction, breaking them down and building them into something that respects its past but it willing to challenge readers by trying something new. After a successful and award-winning run in sci-fi, Morgan is now turning to the world of fantasy to take the familar and make it new and fresh again.

"The Steel Remains" is the first of a new trilogy by Morgan. The story has the usual fantasy tropes on display--a hero with a g
Stefan
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, library-loan
If you're familiar with Richard K. Morgan's other works, you'll be pleased to know that "The Steel Remains" combines many strong points of his Takeshi Kovacs novels, but places them in a fantasy setting instead of SF. This is a very recognizable Richard K. Morgan novel - in an unrecognizable setting.
Ringil Eskiath, son of a wealthy merchant family, has made a name for himself in several ways before the start of the story. For one, he is a hero of a past war, in which humanity had to defend itse
Emma Sea
15 Sept 2012

I was not destined to ever read this book.

First I had a buddy read set up with Moss, for which I ordered the paperback from the other side of the world. It arrived about two days after Moss deleted her GR account forever.

Then I lent the book to someone, who subsequently had a bad breakup and had to walk away without her furniture, or my book!

So, I can see this isn't going to happen.

13 July 2015

then I got the book back!

So I guess this means it goes back in the queue
Alexander Páez
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasía, 2016
3,80

La primera mitad de la novela es un 5/5 estrellas bastante claro, pero a partir del 70% el ritmo baja bastante con uno de esos viajes de la fantasía (esta vez no a caballo) de puro rellenaco que se me ha hecho bastante cuesta arriba. El desenlace es brutal, eso sí, y en general me he quedado con la sensación de haber leído una novela grimdark EXCELENTE. Muy, muy recomendable.
Kenchiin
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is far from being an easy-going story. At some points I had to stop and think what I had just read, not only for how it was written, but also for WHAT was written.
The story mixes some 'unusual' tropes, sex, and violence in a very interesting way, and even though it takes some time to adapt to Richard's writing style it was a pleasure to read.
Martin
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Books - the warm, leather-skinned weight of them in your hands, the way they smelled when you lifted them close to your face. The unfeasibly heart-jolting shock once, as a tome fell heavily open at some much-visited page, divided itself neatly in two blocky halves along the spine - and you thought, guiltily, that you’d broken it.

'I’ve seen how it ends. Someday, in a city where the people rise through the air with no more effort than it takes to breathe, where they give their blood to stranger
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Steel Remains [Nov 2017] 24 34 Nov 20, 2017 09:12AM
Flights of Fantasy: September 2014 - Fantasy: The Steel Remains by Richard K. Morgan 22 64 Sep 08, 2014 10:34AM
From England 1 94 Sep 18, 2008 06:40PM
  • The God Eaters
  • Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1)
  • The Archer's Heart
  • A Strong and Sudden Thaw (A Strong and Sudden Thaw, #1)
  • The Mirador (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #3)
  • Traitor's Moon (Nightrunner, #3)
  • The Pedlar and the Bandit King (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #1)
  • The Folding Knife
  • Fire Logic (Elemental Logic, #1)
  • Warchild (Warchild, #1)
  • Shadow Magic (Havemercy #2)
  • The Judging Eye (Aspect-Emperor, #1)
  • Guardian (Aisling, #1)
  • Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1)
  • Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun, #1)
  • The Fall of the Kings (Riverside, #3)
  • Wicked Gentlemen
  • The Fire's Stone

Richard K. Morgan (sometimes credited as Richard Morgan) is a science fiction and fantasy writer.
More about Richard K. Morgan...

A Land Fit for Heroes (3 books)
  • The Cold Commands (A Land Fit for Heroes, #2)
  • The Dark Defiles  (A Land Fit for Heroes, #3)
“When a man you know to be of sound mind tells you his recently deceased mother has just tried to climb in his bedroom window and eat him, you only have two basic options. You can smell his breath, take his pulse and check his pupils to see if he's ingested anything nasty, or you can believe him.” 16 likes
“...the tongues of men are not much leashed by concerns for accuracy or truth.” 11 likes