Start by marking “Carolina Mist” as Want to Read:
Carolina Mist

Carolina Mist

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  279 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
On the fast track at a Philadelphia consulting firm, Abigail McKenna has put her personal life on hold, content to focus on her professional success. But when she's suddenly laid off, Abby finds herself with a dwindling savings account and no promising job prospects. So when a letter arrives holding the solution to all her financial problems, Abby is relieved but saddened: ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Pocket Books (first published August 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Carolina Mist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carolina Mist

Ashley Daviau
I'm kind of struggling to put into words my thoughts on this book. While it was a good story, I found it lacking in originality which affected my enjoyment of it. I feel like I've read so many books with this plot that I knew exactly what was going to happen throughout the book. I did enjoy it somewhat despite this but I just feel the author could have shaken it up and come up with something more original.
Jena
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: southern, romance, 4-stars
Three and a half stars.

I'm on a "Southern literature" reading spree lately, and I chose this book because the title intrigued me. While "Carolina Mist" is a "nice book with a happy ending" and I enjoyed it, the novel just didn't stand out for me as I had hoped it would.

It's the story of a young woman who has already lost everything that was important to her once, and she's determined never to do so again. When Abbie's parents die in a plane crash, and their debts cost her the home and possession
Shay
Feb 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, literature
So far I like this book... However, I got a little distracted by the hunger games trilogy so it has been put on the back burner along with others. I have to be in a certain mood to read a certain type of book at a certain time. So I will get back to this one at a later date.

This was a nice and easy story. I like the slowish pace of it and the wonderful imagery. I know, slowish doesn't always mean good, but in this case it was. Great Characters!
Janet Friesner
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Another really good book by Mariah Stewart. Story of an unemployed young woman inheriting a large old house in North Carolina. When she gets there she finds she has inherited a 90 year old friend of her great aunts also. She just wants to fix up the place and sell it and get back into the corporate world in New York but we run into a comedy of errors. Easy reading and some intrigue but a book you don't want to put down. Enjoy.
Robin
Jul 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
After losing her job and unsuccessfully searching for work, Abigail McKenna is relieved to find her Great Aunt Leila has made her the sole beneficiary of her Victorian home in North Carolina. Packing up everything she owns, Abby heads south. But the beautiful mansion she remembers is in need of major repairs and there is no money to take care of the problems. On top of that, the house is already occupied by her aunt's best friend, Belle, who has nowhere else to go. Abby holds out hope she can co ...more
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a slowly unfolding, but also a very sweet story with a likable protagonist. Twenty seven year old career driven, financial analyst Abby McKenna has just been laid off from her consulting firm job in Philadelphia. As the months go by with no job prospects in sight, Abby is not only running out of money, but is also alone in the world with no place to go. Her parents had died nearly ten years ago, and Abby had had little time for romance in her previous fast track life. She then receives ...more
Anita
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mariah-stewart
I enjoyed yet another story by Maria Stewart. The author definitely surprised me how it ended. I didn't see that coming. Was just a little dismayed that she teased us with happy endings for 2 secondary characters. I mean it read that these 2 characters would be getting their own story, but has not. Kind of left me in limbo wanting more and knowing I'm not going to get it. :( I do recommend this book.
Rebecca Crowley
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
I found the narrative dragged and the character of the elderly aunt was almost painfully contrived. There's a sweet romance at the core of this novel and I would've preferred a crisper focus on that with fewer pages of filler.
Randy
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Simple and easy read from Mariah Stewart. While this one leans more on the romance versus the mystery, it was still a good book. The book takes place in the early 90's so its not incredibly relevant in today's society. Use this to escape for a few hours from modern day life.
Kshydog
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Mostly a romantic story about Abby learning that there is more to life than just being successful in a career. There is a mystery that really only takes place in the final 50 pages of the book although there were earlier hints that something was amiss.
Daniele
It was ok - not really my style. I kept waiting for something exciting, but it was sweet at times.
Sasha McDaniel
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Liked
Stephanie
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very different from her usual style. Pretty much a straight up romance. But very readable.
Ann
Oct 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoy Stewart's works because they always have interesting twists- this book puts me in mind of her Chesapeake Diaries Series
Regan
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I don't normally like women's fiction but this was a solidly told, heart-warming story.
Idell
Jan 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Read in paperback, small grey print which made it hard to read. Very boring and predictable - I only finished it because I finish ALMOST every book I start.
Joyce O'Neill
Jul 03, 2011 rated it liked it
It was a good read. It wasn't anything that I couldn't put down, but it had a nice romantic story.
Melissa Reczek
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was such a good book, it kept me involved the whole entire book. I really enjoyed the story!
Betsy
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it
good story , enjoyable, light reading
Faith Deasy
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this book!
Thebestdogmom
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it
A good read. I don't usually read love stories like this but a friend had passed it on to me. Was fun to read something different from my normal book. Nice to see someone get back to their roots.
Cheryl
  • Emerald Garden
  • King Kong
  • The Perfect Fake
  • Long Way Home: A Young Man Lost in the System and the Two Women Who Found Him
  • Till the Stars Fall (Hometown Memories #3)
  • The Genius Thieves (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #9)
  • And After That, the Dark
  • The Stuff of Dreams (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Tempestuous / The Restless Heart
  • Basil Instinct (Italian Restaurant Mystery, #2)
  • Death in a Beach Chair (Susan Henshaw, #15)
Mariah Stewart is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twenty-six novels and three novellas and has been featured in the Wall Street Journal. She is a RITA finalist in romantic suspense and the recipient of the Award of Excellence for contemporary romance, a RIO Award for excellence in women's fiction, and a Reviewers Choice Award from Romantic Times Magazine. A three-time winner ...more
More about Mariah Stewart...