Start by marking “30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30” as Want to Read:
30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30

30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30

Featuring advice, wisdom, and observations from an array of prominent and beloved women, 30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30 is an essential guide (and perfect gift) for women on the brink of thirty--and for those who are already there! Fifteen years ago, Glamour published a list of distinctive yet universally true must-haves and ...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about 30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30

Start your review of 30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
"You can't change your past, but you can change your mind about your past."

"Maybe I wasn't a terrible person after all. Maybe I was just learning - like all of us - how to be good."

1. Skinny black jeans.
2. White button-down shirt.
3. Go-to dress.
4. Black pumps.
5. Black opaque tights.
6. Lace tank.
7. Ballet flats.
8. White t-shirt.
9. Black lace bra.
10. Great suitcase, purse, umbrella.

"Most of us fear that in growing old, we'll become a shell of ourselves. But, of course, it's the youthful versions
Jackie
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I picked up this title. I have very recently turned 30 and have spent much time dreading my last birthday. I have also been fretting about it ever since. THIRTY THINGS EVERY WOMAN SHOULD HAVE AND SHOULD KNOW BY THE TIME SHE'S 30 is a book every late 20-Something/early 30-something woman should read. It's a book to give to your daughter, your grand-daughter, your sister, your friend.

After reading the short anecdotes written by thirty different amazing and accomplished women, I
Penny McGill
Mar 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ok
I have always loved lists and I remember always enjoying the Glamour magazine list when I was working @ Ernst & Young. I'd buy this magazine and then read it while I ate my lunch in the extremely busy and loud foodcourt. My favourite list was the one where they suggested celebrating the new year by being very prepared for the year ahead, stocking up on toilet paper and laundry detergent, and then coming home and knowing that you hadn't made the most glamorous (funny) purchases but you'd have ...more
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
I'm turning 30 in a few months and I just wanted a book to kind of reflect with. I didn't not agree with the lists in this book. I thought most of the lists of things you should have and should know are silly. For instance, #8 says you should have an email address, voice-mail and bank account that's all yours by the time your 30...I think this is crazy cause I had those 3 things by the time I was 16! The content in the book could've been more developed. I definitely think this is a self help ...more
Sharla
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a really fun read for any woman in the vicinity of her 30s; I just had to get it as an early birthday present from my Mom, and loved it! It's a really quick read, with lots of good advice and tidbits of inspiration. I did find it a bit odd that there were a couple of contributors less than 30, but they wrote from a perspective of looking forward, so I suppose that's a viable vantage point to provide a bit of variety. Here are some of my favorite passages:

"You can't change your past, but
C
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-suggestions
This book would make an excellent gift for a daughter/niece/grand-daughter/friend starting out for college. That said, I don't feel it is limited to the "under 30" age group. It's a good quick read, and as I was reading it, I wished I'd had these women's advice earlier in my life (would I have been smart enough to take that advice? probably not, but I'll be optimistic for my past-self). Gave me a few things to think about.

Great tips on self-worth, money, love, and life in general. Added to
Kris
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Of course I didn’t like every part of this, and I thought some of it focused way too much on superficial things that at the age of 42 I don’t give a shit about, but the gist of this book is to know who you are and be confident in that. In love, in friendship, in your career, in family. Be kind to yourself and others, surround yourself in people and things that make you your best, and live this one life you have in the best way you can. Cheers to that.
Brianna Soloski
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: female
Thirty Things Every Woman should have and should know By the Time she’s 30 by Pamela Redmond Satran
165 pages
5/5 stars

I’m turning 30 in about three months (my birthday is August 16). I’ve been freaked out about the prospect forever. When I was in college, it didn’t faze me. Turning 21 didn’t bother me, even though I was older than most of my friends by a few years. Turning 25 was okay. Turning 26 was a little harder because that’s when my quarter life crisis kicked into high gear and I started
Cait
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This book is filled with encouraging words from some awesome women of all ages. It focuses on being true to yourself, loving yourself and working damn hard to achieve your dreams.

Some of the entries that I particularly loved are:

What 30 Means to Me - "Being Grateful for Life’s Gifts" by Padma Lakshmi
By 30 You Should Have – “A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship and all those other facets of life that do get better” by Katie Couric
By 30 You Should Know – “How to fall
Lindsey Lewandowski
A high point: "As women, we experience our first major purchases as a kind of rite of passage. If we're lucky enough to have the opportunity to make a good living, we purchase a really nice designer handbag to tell the world, 'I'm old enough to afford this.' By the age of, say, twenty-seven, we find outselves springing for nice dinners with girlfriends and taking vacations that necessitate airplanes. But by the time we're staring down the barrel of thirty, furniture really is the final frontier. ...more
Brittany
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love lists, so this book was great for me. I hope to complete this list by the time I'm 30, or close after turning 30. I've got about a year and a half left, so I think I can do it. My only issue with this list is there were a couple of items that one could possibly not complete because it has to do with your past (having a past juicy enough to tell in your old age, for example). You can't change your past, so if you didn't do/have those experiences, then you're screwed I guess. I did enjoy ...more
Rachel
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A really nice little book for any woman, of any age, to read. A quick read filled with some great wisdom and advice. Portia di Rossi's piece particularly resonated with me: There are so many things about yourself that you can't change, and that you shouldn't change. We're always told we need to "fix" things about ourselves, from our hair color to our weight, which we really don't need to. Sometimes you don't realize things until you hear it from someone else. Definitely recommended.
Te
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mostly great essays. What's fascinating is that every writer in this book has a different writing voice and style. Reading this book feels like being in a club and being comforted by a lot of wise sisters (except for Lauren Conrad and Taylor Swift).
Valmarie Chavez
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was something I picked up at my local library and after reading it I went to go buy at B&N because it was that much of a great book! I'm 24 going on to 25 and this book made me feel more than okay about where I am in life. A definite read for all women in their 20s!
Maria
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
I had already read the list, and that's why I picked up this book, but there's nothing new here. Each # is accompanied by a story from different 'famous-ish' women, and there is some insightful stuff but not worth the money I paid.
Bereniice
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2014
Good tips and teachings to keep in mind if you are going to turn 30, are 30 or past 30. So basically for every women, just a quick reminder to help you enjoy life no matter how old you are.
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read this for Sloane
D
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
An amusing compilation that frankly, at my advanced age, seem pretty tame ;)

Perhaps useful for the kids...
Karen
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a birthday gift from my dear friend! I read it with a pen and now am on a mission to work on a few items from this list ;)
Mallory
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: twenty-somethings
Shelves: nonfiction
3.5 stars. I did enjoy it and found some of the advice helpful and even thought-provoking. However (and I shouldn't have been surprised by this), it was a very self-centered book overall. None of the items on the "30 things" list related to the growth, maturity and development of a woman's spiritual life or had much to do with being a helpful, contributing member of society and giving back to others in various ways.
Balkis
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I know I’m not thirty yet. But I wanted to read this book just to know if there's anything those women who turned 30 missed in their twenties and regretted it !

Now I'll write my 30 Things I Should Have and Should Know Before My Thirties ; my own and personal list. When my thirty birthday comes one day i want to look at the list again and feel proud of myself; Yeaah man ! I did it and my 20s were a preparation for a beautiful life and a bright future !
Caroline
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cute, quick read. It was a gift from my Grandma, so naturally I felt obligated to give it a try. The initial "list" was published in the nineties, so some of the advice is a little outdated, or the celebrity that writes on it gives the tip a modern spin. Much of the advice is pretty timeless though, and if someone doesn't have a strong female role model in their lives, this is advice they may not get and definitely need!
Carrie
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
About what I expected. I appreciated that the editors and authors remind readers that the thirty things are suggestions that may not apply to everyone, or specifically to thirty-year-olds. Otherwise, mostly just common sense advice, though it never hurts to have a reminder. If you are looking for specific tips, hacks, or lists, this is probably not exactly what you want.
NeemaGrace Kalole
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am glad I have found this book...learnt a lot from it and I am happy that it teaches ladies what the world never taught us...”being confident in who we are and living content”. I highly recommend it.
Ria
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

A compilation of life experiences and lessons from fabulous women! I can totally relate somehow even is I am reading this past my 30 and approaching my 32nd. Indeed everyone is in their own timeline in life.
Alexa Gonzales
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring

It's all about perspective. Some can choose to have a gray cloud over the idea of turning 30, this book helps clear those thoughts. Life is a journey, nothing better than reading of others experiences open and honest. Beautifully done.
Anne Goss
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super enjoyable to read! Some I retesting points - fun to pick and choose and definitely something all women should read at least once in their life. Climax is obviously The last entry!! ...more
Lynn
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. i liked how this read like chick lit. i have a soft spot for chicklit. very light, fluffy yet meaningful and somewhat helpful life advice from some women authors and celebrities.
Kathryn Barnhart
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every woman should read this, before or after turning 30
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page numbers 2 16 Jun 29, 2016 05:39AM

• The Start-Up of You: Adapt to the Future, Invest in Yourself, and Transform Your Career
  • The 25 Best Time Management Tools & Techniques: How to Get More Done Without Driving Yourself Crazy
  • Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data
  • The Devil's Cup: A History of the World According to Coffee
  • Time and the Other: How Anthropology Makes Its Object
  • Coming of Age in New Jersey: College and American Culture
  • Flip Your Future: How to Quit Your Job, Live Your Dreams, And Make Six Figures Your First Year Flipping Real Estate
  • Life Without Parole: Living in Prison Today
  • How To Be A GREAT Salesperson...By Monday Morning!
  • The Introvert's Edge: How the Quiet and Shy Can Outsell Anyone
  • The Millionaire Booklet
  • Bones: The Forensic Files
  • Going After Cacciato
  • The Coffee Bean: A Simple Lesson to Create Positive Change
  • The Closer's 21 Proven Secrets To Close More Wholesale Deals In 30 Days With No Sales Experience
  • Everything Happens for a Reason: Finding the True Meaning of the Events in Our Lives
  • You Can Read Anyone: Never Be Fooled, Lied To, or Taken Advantage of Again
  • Stretched Too Thin: How Working Moms Can Lose the Guilt, Work Smarter, and Thrive
Pamela Redmond Satran is the author of 20 books, both fiction and non-fiction. Her most recent novel, The Possibility of You, is written as Pamela Redmond and published by Simon & Schuster's Gallery Books. A New York Times bestselling humor writer, she has a new humor book, Rabid: Are You Crazy About Your Dog or Just Crazy?, due out from Bloomsbury in September 2012. She is the creator with ...more
“It’s rare that I have a boyfriend- that only happens if I fall in love. I’ve noticed that people who are never in a relationship just to be in a relationship keep their childlike spark because they don’t end up settling for things that make them unhappy, and they never feel as if they took less than what was out there for them. So for me, being single is what I do, and falling in love is the exception.” 1 likes
“Most of us fear that in growing old, we’ll become a shell of ourselves. But, of course, it’s the youthful versions of ourselves that are our shells; we must leave them behind like a snakeskin. We must grow out of ourselves to grow beyond our old limits, or else risk being suffocated by the sediment of our own history.” 1 likes