Start by marking “The Secrets of Science” as Want to Read:
The Secrets of Science

The Secrets of Science

The birds swoop low. For a moment they swirl with the leaves, all buffeted and helpless, before they sail off into the emptiness. Autumn never was my favourite time of year. Things just begin to die; feeble, burned out. I hate the ember-ash colours and the unwashed sky; I hate the smell of bonfires and the nip in the wind. I hate the beginning of the end.

A diverse collecti
ebook
Published April 25th 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of Science

Rhianan
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a massive fan of short stories, and its mainly because i get annoyed when i want more of the story and i know there wont be any. So its not a reflection on the author just on my impatience and the annoying neeeed of 'what happens next'
But anyway this collection was actually pretty brilliant. I wouldn't say there all my cup of tea but they all made an impression on me, even Sent which left me going 'oooo dear'. I especially like Experimental, but that was also annoying because i wanted m
Nadia
Apr 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A really eclectic and interesting collection. Some incredibly evocative language and description and a massive imagination at work. Not all stories to my personal taste, but I particularly loved the first and the last. Be aware, some trigger content.
Erin
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am hoping very much that books like this will lead to resurgence in popularity of the short story anthology. When done well – and this one is done exceedingly well – they are perfectly suited to modern life – accessible to read both quickly and over extended periods of time, to read both at home and on the move and also easy to revisit again and again.

‘The Secrets of Science’ is a masterful example of the genre, replete with stories so varied that it could easily be an anthology by separate au
Loz
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like creepy tales or science fiction.
Worth buying on the strength of the title story alone. (Of which I hope there is more to come! The way it is written reminds me of Dracula, very clever.)

Other highlights, of what are mainly tales-with-a-twist; include the wonderfully melodramatic, and somewhat creepy ‘The Suicide Painting’, the sad ‘Multiverses’ and the rather dark ‘On the Tube’. On the lighter side there is the quirky ‘Building’ and sweet ‘Experimental’ which are just as excellent.

The only critisms I have is that I spotted a fe
Carrie