Start by marking “Madonna and Corpse (Body Farm #6.5)” as Want to Read:
Madonna and Corpse (Body Farm #6.5)

Madonna and Corpse

(Body Farm #6.5)

Renowned bone detective Bill Brockton and his intrepid assistant, Miranda, are about to get immersed in murder and intrigue in Avignon, France, home of the popes for most of the fourteenth century. But first, in this artful prequel to The Inquisitor's Key, other mischief is afoot in the ancient walled city. Inspector René Descartes of the French National Police is roused f ...more
Published April 24th 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers

Start your review of Madonna and Corpse (Body Farm #6.5)
Carol
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this short story and the preview to Jefferson Bass's new book. The short story involves a French police investigator who responds to a robbery at an art museum, only to find out the thief had actually added a painting -- a painting that is an exact copy of the one displayed at the museum.

The story's opening and the character of Inspector René Descartes drew me immediately into the story. I enjoyed reading the Inspector's thoughts about art, how he allowed his mind to open and gain
Magpie67
Interesting prequel in the art world... No sign of Dr. Brockton or Miranda yet so it's different.. hoping it leads right into a chase after a murderer with loads of historical information in the art world. 4 stars is because Dr. Brockton is missing but I'm loving the insider information about fake art created and replaced... It amazes me that some individuals place such high value on items, that I think of only as beautiful and belong in museums for everyone to see.
Matt
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In what can only be called an eventual teaser, Bass presents a great little story that, until the closing sentences, does not seem to have any connection to the Body Farm series. Filled with excellent nuances about the world of art and art forgery, Bass lays what will be the eventual groundwork for a new character, or so it seems. Being an ardent Bass reader and trying to read everything in order, I have not yet read The Inquisitor’s Key, nor have I even delved into the teaser chapters provided ...more
Susannah Carleton
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. Obviously a to-be-continued-in-the-next-book plot, which I wasn’t expecting. Another annoying feature was the fact that the excerpt of the next book was twice as long as this story.

There were far too many unresolved plot threads in the story—all of them, in fact.
Naomi
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love intelligent books/series. With this little prequel, Jefferson Bass has shown why they are among the masters. I think in total, this "book" was about 30 pages (?) with the remaining being a sneek peek of their upcoming release of The Inquisitor's Key. When I think prequel, I automatically think incidents before the book it is a prequel to...JB decided to be sneaky though and change that format. Basically running parallel to the first part of IK, it took me a bit (and an email to the author ...more
Forgetfulone
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020, fiction
Technically this book is part of the Body Farm series by the authors (Jon) Jefferson (and William M.) Bass. However, none of the "cast members" from the Body Farm appear in this book, and it is not set in Tennessee. As a prequel to The Inquisitor's Key, book 7 in the series, this short story is set in Avignon, France. Inspector Rene' Descartes is investigating what appears to be a theft at the Palace of the Popes museum. He then ends up investigating a death. There is no end to the story. It's a ...more
Desi
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This was such a quick read. I didn't realize that when I got the Kindle book, only 38% of the book would be the current piece, and the rest of the book would be the first few chapters of the Inquisitor's Key.

That being said, without reading the Inquisitor's Key already, I think this is a perfect segue-way into the following book, which I've just downloaded. Might change my mind once I'm further into the next book!
Lee
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this BEFORE The Inquisitor's Key - it's a prequel.
Maria Rose
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read my review on Amazon (has spoilers)
Michelle Ashley
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Good novella to prepare for the next Jefferson Bass book- but the story did not mesh with novel. It was just a way to describe a new character for the novel.
Maureen
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Didn’t really care for this...a prequel to the inquisitors key, which I already read..don’t know the purpose of a half number book??? novella ???
Gene Georgelis
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
It probably wasn't too bad, it just wasn't what I was expecting .
Cindy Levesque
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
It's a very nice and short novella. I really liked it, but I kinda wish it would be a bit longer. The characters are very interesting.
Matthew Cousens
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Only a mention of Dr Brockton in this book, not even an appearance of the main characters in the series. Waste of $1.
Kirsten
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing

"Madonna and Corpse"--This is one of the best reads as a prequel. A delectable appetizer to the grand entree' that lies ahead! This work is about 44 pages in length, and then it is followed by a bonus excerpt of "The Inquisitor's Key". It is a story that pulls you in and prepares you for the adventure ahead. This telling is a way for the narrative to embody your mind in the twists and turns of a story that truly comes to life.
The author engages the reader in a museum curators’ misplaced trust i
Dorie
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it

Ann Chambers
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a fun short story from Jefferson Bass. It is well done, but NOT a Body Farm story. It's set in France in the art world. I enjoyed it, but kept wondering how it was going to tie back to Tennessee. It doesn't.
However, from what I've heard, this story is a kind of prequel to the Jefferson Bass book The Inquisitor's Key. I just started that book, so I hope that's right.
If you purchase the e-book version, about half the file is the short story and about half is a free preview of Inquisitor's
Karen
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
What's going on with this blasted 'book'. It isn't a completed novel!!! I love Jefferson Bass...I don't appreciate being led on and wasting my time on a novel that isn't finished. I have more important things to do like preparing for fall classes for pathophysiology to waste time on a book in the summer that isn't complete. I really am angry about this misleading half-book, and probably will not get another one of Bass' books unless I am assured of it being complete. I really should have read al ...more
Diane S ☔
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A short pre-story which introduces a new character, a French detective and a art restorer as well as the beginning chapters of The Inquisitor's Key, which comes out on Tuesday. Learned quite a bit about art forgery and looking forward to reading the new book, which goes back into the past and the history of the Knights Templar. As this is one of my favored subjects in history I am looking forward to seeing how this is handled in Bass's capable hands. ...more
Susan Braun
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS!!! What a treat!!! Jon Jefferson and Dr. Bill Bass once again delighted me and I cannot WAIT for The Inquisitor's Key to arrive to continue the saga..What a fun read, my only dissappointment was I had reached the end of the story and wanted it to go on! I look forward to many more adventures with the Inspector and of course the continuation of the Body Farm saga. My order is in already!!!
Laura Salas
Apr 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, adult, e-book
I don't know if this is the start of a spin-off series or just an effort to make a few extra bucks, but this shouldn't be labeled a Body Farm novella. Gideon isn't mentioned until the final pages, and he never appears. It's just backstory on a character who figures into the next BF book (Inquisitor's Key). It was OK reading, but nothing I'd read as a standalone book, and it wasn't represented honestly.
Meredith Kaupp
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how I feel about this short story preview trend that many authors have adopted. I feel like I have to read them, even though I'm not a fan of short stories. but they really don't need to be read to enjoy or follow the main book. That being said, I liked this one better than the last couple of previews that I downloaded.
Ingo
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short prequel to be read before the latest book by the same author: The Inquisitor’s Key aka The Bones of Avignion.
I liked it, but think it was too expensive, it should have been a giveaway (freebie).
Don't be fooled by the supposed length, half of it is a preview of The Inquisitor’s Key.
Started and finished on the same day.
Carrie Bray
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
okay so this is a short novelle that has 6 chapters at the end (which I refuse to read till I get the full book) of the inquisitor's key. As far as this book goes the scenery and art itself are very vivid which is almost a signature for this author. I get my books free and have enjoyed the body farm books and I'm waiting to get my next one.
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books-read
This book was designed as a lead-in to the Inquisitor's Key and I did enjoy it; however, it was not the Brockton based work that I was expecting. I was hoping for some resolution to the Isabella storyline and did not receive it here. That said, I would recommend it for the cheap purchase price that I paid for it and the quick, satisfying read that it was.
Tammy
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great short by the authors. It did a good job of introducing Descartes & some of the French landscape found in The Inquisitor's Key. I read TIK first so I already knew the ending so to speak. I did enjoy the look into how artists of old painted and how artists of new could reproduce paintings. All in all, a very good read...as usual for these authors. ...more
Paula Howard
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Madonna and Corpse was a good but very, very short novella. A real tease of a book. I honestly hate it when authors do this, but many do and I continue to read them and buy the "real" book that follows. Thankfully, only a few days to wait for the "real" book.
Jill
Jun 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: jefferson bass, mystery/suspense, novella
I thought this short story was way too short to get into which is the main reason why I didn't like. It's a short story that I would not recommend purchasing instead I would recommend checking to it out at the library.
Heather
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was just ok because I didn't realize when I bought this that it was a short story. I liked the preview of The Inquisitor's Key more than the short story. I can't wait to read that book and the other full length books by Jefferson Bass.
Annalisa
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Actually a short story prequel to a Jefferson Bass book, it's a fast and highly entertaining read, featuring a completely amoral art forger. Set in France, it left me wanting more with these same characters. I hope they show up in JB's next book, The Inquisitor's Key!

• Red Knife (Cork O'Connor, #8)
  • Heaven's Keep (Cork O'Connor, #9)
  • Thunder Bay (Cork O'Connor, #7)
  • Flash and Bones (Temperance Brennan, #14)
  • Bones Are Forever (Temperance Brennan, #15)
  • Northwest Angle (Cork O'Connor, #11)
  • My Way to You (Creek Canyon, #1)
  • Bones of  the Lost  (Temperance Brennan, #16)
  • Spider Bones (Temperance Brennan, #13)
  • How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #1)
  • The Bone Collection: Four Novellas (Temperance Brennan, #0.5, 15.5, 16.5, & 17.5)
  • Geister geerbt
  • The Lending Library
  • Killer Characters (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #8)
  • Swamp Bones (Temperance Brennan, #16.5)
  • The Summer House
  • Beyond the Body Farm: A Legendary Bone Detective Explores Murders, Mysteries, and the Revolution in Forensic Science
  • Copper River (Cork O'Connor, #6)
Jefferson Bass on FACEBOOK

Jon Jefferson

Bill Bass

Jefferson Bass is the pen name of Jon Jefferson, writer, and Dr. Bill Bass, renowned forensic anthropologist. Jefferson and Bass have collaborated on 2 nonfiction books and 6 crime novels; their 7th novel, The Inquisitor's Key, will

Body Farm (10 books)
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
  • Flesh and Bone (Body Farm #2)
  • The Devil's Bones (Body Farm, #3)
  • Bones of Betrayal (Body Farm #4)
  • The Bone Thief (Body Farm, #5)
  • The Bone Yard (Body Farm, #6)
  • The Inquisitor's Key (Body Farm #7)
  • Cut to the Bone (Body Farm, #8)
  • The Breaking Point  (Body Farm, #9)
  • Without Mercy (Body Farm, #10)