Start by marking “Bury The Children In The Yard” as Want to Read:
Bury The Children In The Yard

Bury The Children In The Yard

Andersen Prunty (author of FUCKNESS and HI I’M A SOCIAL DISEASE) returns with another collection of horror stories. This volume features: “The Library of Trespass”, “Music from the Slaughterhouse”, “A Butterfly in Ice”, “The Spot”, “Laundrymen”, “The Warm House”, and the novella “Bury the Children in the Yard.”
Published February 12th 2012 by Grindhouse Press

To ask other readers questions about Bury The Children In The Yard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bury The Children In The Yard

Justin
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bizarro, horror
These are not your typical horror stories. If you're looking for something familiar, go elsewhere. There are no clichés here. Okay, well maybe a little but in a good B-movie sort of way. Oddballs, outsiders and lateral minds, we bid you welcome. These are horror stories written by acclaimed Bizzaro author Andersen Prunty, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors with good reason.

Here is a quick synopsis of each story without ruining anything:

Library of Trespass - With the economy in th
Akira
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
These were really freaky stories, but that last one though 🤢🤮.
Jason Brown (Toastx2)
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, reviewed
Dear Andersen Prunty, recently you and I began to officially court each other. I cannot say that all of our dates have been positive, but they have all been memorable. At first I was hesitant. I mix well with the strange, but your genre, Bizarro Fiction, is still fairly new to the recognized literature scene as anything more than inappropriate.

At first, I didn't want to fully embrace you, but was bothered by the possibility of you passing me by.. Many times I have picked up The Beard and conside
Joe Piccoli

4. The Spot 2.75
5. Laundrymen 2
6. The Warm House 2
7. Bury the Children in the Yard 4.5

2.75 Last story was really good and disturbing and probably should have been just a stand alone. I will try more from this author.
Manda
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Having read The Fuckness a while ago, I wanted to see if Andersen Prunty could impress me again, and surely enough, he has.

These short stories are not really "horror" but they sure are unsettling!

Each story is well crafted, with interesting characters and unique situations. I particularly enjoyed The Library Of Trespass, A Butterfly In Ice and The Warm House. Music From The Slaughterhouse could have been a full novel, I would have loved for that to keep going... the way it ended left me with a d
Pete R.
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable horror stories where the terror comes from the unknown and surreal more than fear of harm. Didn't think I'd like this collection so much after the first two stories, which were written well enough but a bit campy and clichéd, but things just got weirder and more unique from there. "The Warm House" intrigued me the most -- it has a very dreamy/druggy quality to it and some of the descriptions border on the incomprehensible, definitely a head trip. Reminded me of JG Ballard a bit.
Russell Holbrook
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
"A Butterfly in Ice" is one of the most wonderfully heart-breaking stories I have ever read, ever. The description of the boy meeting the girl for the first time and the consuming emotions that followed was so spot on that I lost my breath. I read this every night before bed and had the strangest, best dreams.
Clint
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Bury the Children in the Yard catches the crazily uneven Andersen Prunty near the top of one of his waves of creativity. I read the disappointing Pray You Die Alone a couple of months ago and wasn't super eager to start another one of his books, but this one was great. He's here spouting gruesome, harrowing tales in his distinctive misanthrope's voice, which is what he does best.

"The Library of Trespass" is one of my favorite stories of his ever. Two shithead hick house cleaners go into the one
Sonia
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Now I fully understand the genre called "bizarro fiction". The author is a hell of a good writer with an intense imagination. Will give another one of his books a shot. Not a huge fan of short stories, but this was a quick read. My favorite story was "Butterfly in Ice".
Michael
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bizarro, horror
This is quite an odd collection of stories that exist on the fringes of horror. They’re weird and dark at times but not what you would call traditional at all. That’s not a bad thing because it’s a great collection that while short, is still a great read. Fans of horror may be a bit put off by some of these because they are a little odd, but that’s what makes them so good. There’s a bit of bizarro sprinkled here that adds a bit of depth to them.

What it proves is that Andersen is a great write
Gabrielle
This is my first collection of Prunty's short stories. Started out strong enough, but the writing seemed to get progressively weaker and had less whip and snap as the stories wore on. Finally, in the last one, came this glorious prose:

He had a tattoo on the front of his neck that said SLIT RIDER in vaguely gothic lettering.

"Who the fuck are you?" Steve asked.

The man stood up and said, "I'm Slit Rider, fucker."

I wasn't entirely turned off by this collection, but I think some of his other work i
Daniel
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant collection of stories that surely will make you chill and your stomach revolt a little. This is the intended effect by all means, and Andersen Prunty achieves it wonderfully!
James Dunphy
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is my first time reading anything by Anderson Prunty. I was excited to read some contemporary horror stories only to be left slightly half-full by the time I was finished.

There's a lot that I like about Prunty's writing style. He's witty (sometimes downright funny) and to the point. He definitely has a knack for writing dialogue. As an aspiring writer myself, I admire those things in him.

My problem with this collection of stories comes down to strict substance. Most of these stories follow
Donald Armfield
Bury the children in the yard

Music from The Slaughterhouse is a bloody read. The sounds coming from the slaughterhouse across the street may sound like some bizarre music, but the seeker of the sounds finds out the hard way.

A Butterfly in Ice gives you the thought of an insane man Joel locked in a white room. The ending not what I expected but enjoyable at that.

The Spot was discovered on the bed after a one night stand.....years later it makes it return in a gruesome way.

Laundrymen
Don't touch Ba
Brian Bigelow
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading these strange tales. They cover quite the gamut of subjects as you expect in an anthology and are definitely the product of a warped mind. Plenty of blood, gore and violence is found throughout. Would recommend this book for anyone that likes their horror a bit on the weird side. Basically, expect the unexpected. These stories are anything but your usual fare. I'm really glad I bought a copy of this book and will be buying more.
Padre
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't call it bizarro, but I would call it a pretty great read. The best parts? “The Library of Trespass”, “Music from the Slaughterhouse”, “A Butterfly in Ice” and “Bury the Children in the Yard”. "The Spot" was pretty "meh", the ending of "Laundrymen" was cliche and "The Warm House" is not my type of a story. Still, four out of seven - not bad, huh?
Nora aka Diva
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Weird, intensely strange but in an entertaining sort of way. If you are looking for something a bit out there, these short stories should put a grin on your face or a grimace depending on your tolerance level. lol
perfect_beaker
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing

These stories are gut-wrenching. Mingling sex and horror and the insanity of things being just that tiny bit off-kilter before going completely gonzo, this collection is my new favorite.
Ashley
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
not a fan of short stories but gave this a shot. what a strange book! well written but very strange...
James
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-fire, bizarro
Some very interesting short stories!
Precious Sagbodje
Ugh! This is listed as horror...must be some mistake.
Kellee
Jul 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-book, hated-it
I didn't like this book at all. None of the stories were very entertaining. This is one reason I hate short stories. No suspense, no scare...nothing.
Mark James
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
a bit hit and miss and only twilight zone scary
Karen
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a collection so short, very bizarre stories. If you are offended by sexual discription or foul language I would recommend you skip this book and go on to something else.
Jennifer (the_pumpkin_reads)

• Sorry I Ruined Your Orgy
  • Archelon Ranch
  • Other People's Shit
  • BigBoobenstein
Andersen Prunty lives in Ohio. He writes novels and short stories. Visit him at www.andersenprunty.com.
“Everyone has problems. Everyone has a shitty life. But people who embrace that and do something with the misery are seen as the abnormal ones. And the people who apply normalcy like a camouflage suit are seen as the normal ones.” 0 likes