Start by marking “Silent Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
Silent Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.5)

Silent Night

(Lady Julia Grey #5.5)

'Tis the season for an investigation! Lady Julia and Nicholas Brisbane return for a Christmas caper at Bellmont Abbey—.

After a year of marriage—and numerous adventures—Lady Julia and Brisbane hope for a quiet, intimate Christmas together—until they find themselves at her father's ancestral estate, Bellmont Abbey, with her eccentric family and a menagerie of animals.

Neverth
Published November 1st 2012 by Mira (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Night

Mary
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nothing makes me order a book faster than Deanna Raybourn! Now all I have to do is wait.

***

I know it's a short story but darn that Deanna Raybourn, she left me wanting more ... MORE!

If you're new to the Lady Julia series, this a great primer on who is who and who did what to whom. If you're an enslaved, I mean, dedicated reader, it's a short but sweet visit with favorite characters. Also, I'm going to try the wassail recipe at the end!
LJ
First Sentence: I tore open the letter and scanned it quickly before brandishing it at my husband.

Lady Julia and her husband, Brisbane, hoped for a quiet Christmas. However, spending the holidays at her father’s estate with her eccentric family, a myriad of pets and, possibly, a ghost end that thought very quickly.

The full-length books in this series are quite enjoyable, although I’ll admit the first three are the best. This, however, just didn’t hold up to par.

Yes, the characters are fun. Jul
Sophia
This is one of those stories that seems to be written strictly for the fans of a series. And since I'm a huge fan of the Lady Julia series, I grabbed it up eagerly. It is a short novella that takes a break from the usual darker murder mysteries and intense romantic relationship that Lady Julia and her detective husband, Brisbane share together. There is a light mystery, light sweet romantic interludes and gathering as a family for the holidays to entertain the reader.

Julia and Brisbane along wit
Becky
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the reasons I read Christmas stories is to find new authors I might like, or even love. Last year it was Jodi Taylor and her St. Mary's books. This year it's Deanna Raybourn. I've already added the first of this series into my queue and can't wait to read them after the new year. I loved the style and the wit and I am so glad to find a new author to enjoy.
Snooty1
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
You know when you get obsessed with characters in a series??? Yeah...that's where I am right now.

This is a really cute novella with all the favorites from the series together for a small, mini-mystery.
Even the animals are all included!
Teresa
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018, overdrive
As a fan of this series, this novella was a delight. Nothing earth shattering happened but it was fun to spend time with the characters again, especially all of Julia's eccentric family.
Krista D
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I finished this in less than an hour. I would suggest skipping this novella and going straight to Twelfth Night (book #5.6). Twelfth Night basically continues immediately where Silent Night ends.
Lynn Horton
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've rated the previous installments in this book at three or four stars, and liked them well enough to purchase the Kindle package from Amazon. That's where things started to unravel for me.

Amazon didn't make it clear that the ensuing books were novellas. I wouldn't have purchased the package had I known. I. HATE. NOVELLAS. It's as if the author and publisher doesn't want to go to the trouble of creating an entire story, so they produce a short story. A novella that occupies me for an hour or
Josie Jaffrey
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great little short story. I enjoyed the mystery plot, and it was lovely to be back in the March family’s home. Some bits of it could have done with a little rewriting (the implications the reader was meant to draw from dialogue were not clear in a few places), but overall I’m looking forward to reading the next one.
Mari (Smut Duchess)
This was a short novella I listened to with RU. Julia and Brisbane return to Belmont Abbey for Christmas. It's always a fun listen when more of the March family is involved.

3.5 - 4.0 ***
Megan
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at The Book Nympho

I do so love Lady Julia and her Brisbane. One of my favorite pair of English detectives, next to Sherlock and Dr. Watson. I generally have little to no interest in reading novellas as I might have mentioned to some of you earlier. They usually consist of the author attempting to make a big anti-climactic story out of a seventy page novella. It is just not a workable project, yet so many keep attempting it. However, I have read everything Deanna Raybourn has wr
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Boring, insipid, and nowhere near the par of her normally excellent Lady Julia novels. This is a very short Christmas novella that is lighter than light, with not much plot, and some very forgettable new characters in a supporting cast. And, lest I forget to mention, some rather annoying family members. Their appearance in the normal novels are bad enough, which is a testament to Deanna Raybourn's ability to write believable characters, but in the family gathering in which this book takes place, ...more
Ashley Arthur
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas
This was a fun Christmas novella involving the regular characters from Deanna’s Lady Julia mystery series. Newly married Julia and Nicholas Brisbane travel to Julia’s family seat for Christmas, taking with them a fantastic assortment of pets they have acquired from all their travels – my favorites are the raven Grim and the peacocks from Julia’s trip to India. Julia is looking forward to a lovely, traditional Christmas with her family, but she finds that her father is sulking in his study, hardl ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So often authors virtually phone these "in-between" novellas in. Not so with Silent Night, which comes after the fifth full entry in the Lady Julia Grey mystery series. In this novella, amusingly counted as 5.5 in the series, Lady Julia and her new husband and old partner, Nicholas Brisbane, spend Christmas with her father, the eccentric Earl March, and some of her unconventional family. While at Bellmont Abbey, the March family's country home in Sussex, Lady Julia, acting mostly without Brisban ...more
Mary
I wasn't planning to read any more Lady Julia books - for a while anyway, but then I saw that the author plans to release another novella this summer and I thought, what the hell, might as well be up to speed.

So this is a light and fluffy novella that reads like the missing chapter or two from a larger story. Same quirky and lovable characters as always: Lady Julia and Brisbane, of course, Plum, Portia, Jane the Younger, Earl March, Fleur, and a few other new faces as well. But the plot is nearl
Allison
This novella was a nice tidbit about Lady Julia and Brisbane celebrating Christmas at her childhood home and running into a tiny bit of a mystery with jewelry going missing. There were no murders to keep it a bit lighter, and I had to laugh when I got to the solution. It was just too short. Novellas are such teasers. I really wish there was a full-length novel to look forward to. Please, please write another one!
❂ Jennifer
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it

Short and entertaining read that takes place at Christmas time; it was perfect for a cold, rainy hour of the afternoon.

Slightly wordier review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/124462...
Louisa
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved rereading this book! I'm pretty sure, at least, because it was familiar! Loved it, can't wait to read more!
Lindap
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.50 4 Stars

Although this was a fun, short Christmas read it didn't advance the story. Pretty good for a novella. There is a mystery, but no one dies!!

ETA: Second time 11/26/18
Nidia
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
A quick and charming read ... Not great but good if you are following the Lady Julia series!
chrissy
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: historical fiction holiday romance lovers
🎄 My main issue with this novella is it that it is liked primarily by fans of the Lady Julia Grey series and I hadn't heard of this series before an hour ago when I was scrolling through my local public library's Overdrive to find a holiday read. This being said, I still enjoyed this novella nonetheless, even though it wasn't the most intriguing or interesting thing I've read. I've been really into both historical fiction and romance and Christmas is my favorite holiday, so it's combined all of ...more
TheMadHatter
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

This is a short story that starts literally where book 5 ended (with the letter from Rome). A little Xmas story where they all head back to the manor. A cute little mystery, a devious criminal jewel thief (and I got it wrong too - I was convinced it was Brisbane who was setting Julia up for a Xmas mystery to solve) and some tying up of loose ends re: Earl March.

While this was a bit of a promo for the series (especially with the footnotes linking to all the earlier books
SS
What a fun novella. It’s part of a series (#5.5). I have read none of the other books in this series, yet, but I had no trouble following the plot, characters, and action. All the information needed to understand what happens in this book is presented very tidily by the author. I lived all the characters, each one eccentric in their own way. The plot was clever; the ending a bit of a surprise. All in all, this is a jolly little mystery that takes place in March familial Abbey at Christmastime.

I
Jen
Another Julia/Brisbane novella, this time set at Christmas time after the 5th book in the series, about a year and a half after their marriage. There's a couple of small mysteries - why is Julia's father, the Earl March, in such a pissy mood; what's the new maid from Aunt Hermia's refuge up to; where are the shiny rings and baubles disappearing to? And then there's some banter and some cozy time spent with the March family. A nice little story for fans of the series.
Kathy Martin
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novella takes place at Christmas at Bellmont Abbey. Julia has been looking forward to spending time with her new husband in the Rookery, a dower house given to her by her father, but a fallen tree means they are housed in the Abbey. With only half of his children able to attend and a romantic disappointment, the Earl is a picture of gloom. Throw in missing jewels and a return of the ghost from an earlier mystery and Julia and Brisbane have a number of things to investigate.
Amanda
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the book that has convinced me that I do not like short stories included into a book series. The first part of the story felt like a flashback episode of a tv show, where the author took several paragraphs to bring the reader up to date, and by the time the story got to the interesting part, the author was wrapping it up.
Camilla
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Lady Julia Grey! She and Nicholas Brisbane are wonderful together and these stories are exciting. I also love Deanna Raybourn's writing because I learn so much about Victorian England and my vocabulary gets huge boost. She's amazing.
Nicole Levy
This is the first Lady Julia novella I've read and I quite enjoy that it's written with a lighter plot. It makes for a warm and cozy read and it's nice to focus more on the characters that the mystery.
Angi
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have become a huge fan of Deanna Raybourn and the way that she writes but this book was a real disappointment compared to the others in the Lady Julia Grey series. It was too short and didn't feel true to her characters.
Kristin
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Too slight to justify the conclusions the main character came to regarding the "mystery" at hand. I get that Christmas stories are lighter in tone in general, but this story was missing the usual elements that give the series depth.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 01, 2015 06:16AM

• A Crimson Warning (Lady Emily, #6)
  • What Darkness Brings (Sebastian St. Cyr, #8)
  • The Paris Affair
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • India Black and the Rajah's Ruby (Madam of Espionage, #0.5)
  • A Pressing Engagement (Lady Darby Mystery, #4.5)
  • Away in a Manger: A Very Turnip Wedding Night
New York Times and USA Today bestselling novelist Deanna Raybourn is a 6th-generation native Texan. She graduated with a double major in English and history from the University of Texas at San Antonio. Married to her college sweetheart and the mother of one, Raybourn makes her home in Virginia. Her novels have been nominated for numerous awards including five RITAs, two RT Reviewers’ Choice awards ...more

Lady Julia Grey (5 books)
  • Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey, #1)
  • Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey, #2)
  • Silent on the Moor (Lady Julia Grey, #3)
  • Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia Grey, #4)
  • The Dark Enquiry (Lady Julia Grey, #5)
“The other travellers do seem to have given us a wide berth,” I admitted.
“Can you blame them?” He surveyed our possessions, and I found myself smiling as well.
“Not precisely a partridge in a pear tree...”
“But we have a raven in a cage, a lurcher on a lead, a Siamese in a basket, and a dormouse in your décolletage. We are a travelling circus.”
5 likes
“I sat down and put my fingertips to my temples, rubbing hard. “We have one fallen tree, one destroyed Rookery, one delusional butler and no good brandy. Is that what you are telling me?”
“And the cook’s down with piles and more than half the staff are suffering from catarrh,” she added maliciously.
I looked to Brisbane, who was smiling broadly. “God bless us, everyone,” he said, spreading his arms wide.”
3 likes