Start by marking “Silent Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
Silent Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.5)

Silent Night (Lady Julia Grey #5.5)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  2,586 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
'Tis the season for an investigation! Lady Julia and Nicholas Brisbane return for a Christmas caper at Bellmont Abbey—.

After a year of marriage—and numerous adventures—Lady Julia and Brisbane hope for a quiet, intimate Christmas together—until they find themselves at her father's ancestral estate, Bellmont Abbey, with her eccentric family and a menagerie of animals.

Neverth
Published November 1st 2012 by Mira (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Night

Mary
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nothing makes me order a book faster than Deanna Raybourn! Now all I have to do is wait.

***

I know it's a short story but darn that Deanna Raybourn, she left me wanting more ... MORE!

If you're new to the Lady Julia series, this a great primer on who is who and who did what to whom. If you're an enslaved, I mean, dedicated reader, it's a short but sweet visit with favorite characters. Also, I'm going to try the wassail recipe at the end!
Sophia
This is one of those stories that seems to be written strictly for the fans of a series. And since I'm a huge fan of the Lady Julia series, I grabbed it up eagerly. It is a short novella that takes a break from the usual darker murder mysteries and intense romantic relationship that Lady Julia and her detective husband, Brisbane share together. There is a light mystery, light sweet romantic interludes and gathering as a family for the holidays to entertain the reader.

Julia and Brisbane along wit
Becky
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the reasons I read Christmas stories is to find new authors I might like, or even love. Last year it was Jodi Taylor and her St. Mary's books. This year it's Deanna Raybourn. I've already added the first of this series into my queue and can't wait to read them after the new year. I loved the style and the wit and I am so glad to find a new author to enjoy.
Snooty1
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
You know when you get obsessed with characters in a series??? Yeah...that's where I am right now.

This is a really cute novella with all the favorites from the series together for a small, mini-mystery.
Even the animals are all included!
Krista D
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I finished this in less than an hour. I would suggest skipping this novella and going straight to Twelfth Night (book #5.6). Twelfth Night basically continues immediately where Silent Night ends.
Mari
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a short novella I listened to with RU. Julia and Brisbane return to Belmont Abbey for Christmas. It's always a fun listen when more of the March family is involved.

3.5 - 4.0 ***
Megan
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at The Book Nympho

I do so love Lady Julia and her Brisbane. One of my favorite pair of English detectives, next to Sherlock and Dr. Watson. I generally have little to no interest in reading novellas as I might have mentioned to some of you earlier. They usually consist of the author attempting to make a big anti-climactic story out of a seventy page novella. It is just not a workable project, yet so many keep attempting it. However, I have read everything Deanna Raybourn has wr
Ashley Arthur
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas
This was a fun Christmas novella involving the regular characters from Deanna’s Lady Julia mystery series. Newly married Julia and Nicholas Brisbane travel to Julia’s family seat for Christmas, taking with them a fantastic assortment of pets they have acquired from all their travels – my favorites are the raven Grim and the peacocks from Julia’s trip to India. Julia is looking forward to a lovely, traditional Christmas with her family, but she finds that her father is sulking in his study, hardl ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So often authors virtually phone these "in-between" novellas in. Not so with Silent Night, which comes after the fifth full entry in the Lady Julia Grey mystery series. In this novella, amusingly counted as 5.5 in the series, Lady Julia and her new husband and old partner, Nicholas Brisbane, spend Christmas with her father, the eccentric Earl March, and some of her unconventional family. While at Bellmont Abbey, the March family's country home in Sussex, Lady Julia, acting mostly without Brisban ...more
Mary
I wasn't planning to read any more Lady Julia books - for a while anyway, but then I saw that the author plans to release another novella this summer and I thought, what the hell, might as well be up to speed.

So this is a light and fluffy novella that reads like the missing chapter or two from a larger story. Same quirky and lovable characters as always: Lady Julia and Brisbane, of course, Plum, Portia, Jane the Younger, Earl March, Fleur, and a few other new faces as well. But the plot is nearl
Allison
This novella was a nice tidbit about Lady Julia and Brisbane celebrating Christmas at her childhood home and running into a tiny bit of a mystery with jewelry going missing. There were no murders to keep it a bit lighter, and I had to laugh when I got to the solution. It was just too short. Novellas are such teasers. I really wish there was a full-length novel to look forward to. Please, please write another one!
❂ Jennifer
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it

Short and entertaining read that takes place at Christmas time; it was perfect for a cold, rainy hour of the afternoon.

Slightly wordier review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/124462...
Louisa
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved rereading this book! I'm pretty sure, at least, because it was familiar! Loved it, can't wait to read more!
Nidia
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
A quick and charming read ... Not great but good if you are following the Lady Julia series!
Nicole Levy
This is the first Lady Julia novella I've read and I quite enjoy that it's written with a lighter plot. It makes for a warm and cozy read and it's nice to focus more on the characters that the mystery.
Kristin
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Too slight to justify the conclusions the main character came to regarding the "mystery" at hand. I get that Christmas stories are lighter in tone in general, but this story was missing the usual elements that give the series depth.
Househippo
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I will read these books forever. If she keeps writing novellas for Lady Julia- I will read them.
Jessica
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
The first in a two-part novella set.
Kathy Sebesta
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Dull and dumb. Worse yet, obvious.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
If there is one character (or in this case characters) I have missed the most it would be Lady Julia and Brisbane. I adore this dynamic duo and have missed this series so very much, it is by far one of my favorites. It seamlessly combines all the genres I love best and puts it in one neat little package that is utterly hard to ignore and not love.

Raybourn has a unique ability to combine genres so flawlessly that everything she writes is completely believable. Whether that be the paranormal aspe
QNPoohBear
Lady Julia Grey and her husband, Nicholas Brisbane, are spending the Christmas season with her family. She's hoping for a cheerful, joyous celebration like the ones she remembers from her childhood. Instead, she arrives to discover doom and gloom: her father is morose, the house is not decorated and they can't seem to keep staff on hand because one of the maids claims to have seen a ghost! When some jewels go missing, Julia is determined to get to the bottom of the mystery - with or without Bris ...more
LJ
First Sentence: I tore open the letter and scanned it quickly before brandishing it at my husband.

Lady Julia and her husband, Brisbane, hoped for a quiet Christmas. However, spending the holidays at her father’s estate with her eccentric family, a myriad of pets and, possibly, a ghost end that thought very quickly.

The full-length books in this series are quite enjoyable, although I’ll admit the first three are the best. This, however, just didn’t hold up to par.

Yes, the characters are fun. Jul
Khanh (the meanie)
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Boring, insipid, and nowhere near the par of her normally excellent Lady Julia novels. This is a very short Christmas novella that is lighter than light, with not much plot, and some very forgettable new characters in a supporting cast. And, lest I forget to mention, some rather annoying family members. Their appearance in the normal novels are bad enough, which is a testament to Deanna Raybourn's ability to write believable characters, but in the family gathering in which this book takes place, ...more
Minna
I'm so starved for more Lady Julia (seriously, what is UP with the new historicals by Deanna Raybourn and WHY are they NOT LADY JULIA STORIES!!!!!!!!!?) that I snapped up this novella as soon as I could lay my hands on it in the library's eCollection (since it isn't available in print).
It made things worse.
I want a full-length Lady Julia story... there was a huge plot point in the last one that I want some resolution for. And based on Ms. Raybourn's upcoming books/website/blog, I don't think th
Dee
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fair 4 stars.

I am writing the reviews for this and Twelfth Night Lady Julia Grey 5.6 in contiguous windows, copy and pasting as I go. On the authors blog she mentions the four novellas are equal to a novel - I'm not so sure, particularly as Midsummer's Night is not in the same sort of time frame. However I grant that this and Twelfth Night Lady Julia Grey 5.6 should really be combined into a single novella, especially as the length of each is more short story really.

Silent Night is set over th
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Silent Night is a short and sweet Christmas novella belonging to the Lady Julia Grey mystery series by Deanna Raybourn.

In this instalment, Lady Julia and her investigator husband, Nicholas Brisbane, travel with their assortment of animals to the Grey family estate to celebrate the festive season with Julia's family. Julia is keen to show Brisbane how wonderful the Grey Christmas celebrations are, however upon their arrival Julia is shocked to find the Christmas décor lacking, the staff ill, her
Barbara Rogers
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm not sure why I keep reading this series. This is my 3rd book and I like them okay, but I don't love them. I keep thinking they'll grow on me, but -- well -- it just isn't happening. I just haven't managed to really like or care about either Lady Julia or Brisbane.

In this one, as soon as you found out what the mystery was, you knew who the culprit was.

I'm sure all of the animals are supposed to be zany. I understand that the family is 'unique', but -- in one of the last scenes, the children
Mainer207
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Short, sweet, and light. A welcome continuation of the series but we really need a full-length book.

I was hoping to find out more about the trip to Italy that was more than strongly hinted at in the conclusion to the last book. But this Christmas interlude brought the usual characters back together and that's always fun.

The "mystery" was very mild and solved in a paragraph. Still, Julia and Brisbane enjoy their time together - Really enjoy it. Wink wink.

The narration was good with a few mispr
JoLee
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, 2013
I've been missing Lady Julia and Brisbane, so I was very happy to get a little visit with them in this novella. Silent Night takes place after the last installment in the series The Dark Enquiry. Lady Julia and Brisbane (and heaps of animals) go to Bellmont Abbey for Christmas. Of course, there is a bit of a mystery. Jewels go missing, Lord Bellmont is sulking, a ghost is sighted.

It's a fun, little Christmasy romp. If only the library gods had granted me the pleasure of reading it at Christmas
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 01, 2015 06:16AM
  • Death in the Floating City (Lady Emily, #7)
  • What Darkness Brings (Sebastian St. Cyr, #8)
  • Beneath a Silent Moon (Rannoch/Fraser Chronological Order, #7)
  • A Pressing Engagement (Lady Darby Mystery, #4.5)
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
A sixth-generation native Texan, New York Times bestselling author Deanna Raybourn graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a double major in English and history and an emphasis on Shakespearean studies. She taught high school English for three years in San Antonio before leaving education to pursue a career as a novelist. Deanna makes her home in Virginia, where she lives with h ...more
More about Deanna Raybourn...

Lady Julia Grey (5 books)
  • Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey, #1)
  • Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey, #2)
  • Silent on the Moor (Lady Julia Grey, #3)
  • Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia Grey, #4)
  • The Dark Enquiry (Lady Julia Grey, #5)
“The other travellers do seem to have given us a wide berth,” I admitted.
“Can you blame them?” He surveyed our possessions, and I found myself smiling as well.
“Not precisely a partridge in a pear tree...”
“But we have a raven in a cage, a lurcher on a lead, a Siamese in a basket, and a dormouse in your décolletage. We are a travelling circus.”
5 likes
“I sat down and put my fingertips to my temples, rubbing hard. “We have one fallen tree, one destroyed Rookery, one delusional butler and no good brandy. Is that what you are telling me?”
“And the cook’s down with piles and more than half the staff are suffering from catarrh,” she added maliciously.
I looked to Brisbane, who was smiling broadly. “God bless us, everyone,” he said, spreading his arms wide.”
3 likes