Start by marking “Diablos de Polvo” as Want to Read:
Diablos de Polvo

Diablos de Polvo

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  405 ratings  ·  67 reviews
TO AVENGE WHAT HE LOVES, HE BECOMES WHAT HE HATES
Framed for murdering his family, South African journalist Robert Dell's only ally is his oldest enemy: his father, an ex-CIA hitman with one last shot at redemption. Hunting the real killer, father and son take a bloody road trip into the heart of darkness, uncovering a conspiracy reaching to the highest levels of the state.
Paperback, Colección Pulpo Negro, 344 pages
Published May 2012 by Es Pop ediciones (first published June 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Diablos de Polvo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diablos de Polvo

really liked it 4.00  ·

Kemper
(I received a free copy of this book from New Pulp Press for this review.)

This book starts out with infidelity, murder, more murder and political/police corruption.

Then things really get dark.

Robert Dell is a white South African journalist who protested apartheid. He’s a liberal, a committed pacifist and married to a black woman. His father, Bobby Goodbread, proves that sometimes the apple falls a long way from the tree. Goodbread is an American who got up to all kinds of evil deeds as part of h
Miquel Codony
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Aquella era una tierra de conflictos shakespeareanos. Clanes del mismo estrecho valle que vivían enfrentados y peleados a muerte por motivos olvidados en el tiempo.

Ya hace un tiempo que vengo leyendo cosas buenas sobre la novela negra que se está escribiendo desde Sudáfrica, por lo que cuando la gente de Es Pop Ediciones  me dio la oportunidad de participar, junto a otros blogueros, en la lectura conjunta de Diablos de Polvo , el libro de Roger Smith con el que inauguran su Colección Pulpo Neg
Ed
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardboiled/noir fans
Recommended to Ed by: previous reader of his work
For my money, the top echelon of literary crime noir creates separate narrative threads of the main characters and then, somehow, weaves them together into one volatile, propulsive story. Roger Smith does just that and with seamless ease. I enjoyed reading his Mixed Blood earlier this year, and I consider Dust Devils even a notch better. The antihero, Robert Dell, South African journalist, finds his family killed, and reacts with fiery red in his eyes. His seeking revenge and justice feels right ...more
Jordi Via
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it
A pesar de la extrema violencia que recorre cada capítulo de Diablos de Polvo, a pesar de que se hace imposible coger cariño a los personajes, a pesar de que uno no comprende la frialdad e indolencia de todos los que aparecen en esta novela al enfrentarse a la muerte: la de sus vecinos, familiares… la de sus propios hijos… Pues, a pesar de los pesares, esta novela tiene algo que engancha, es adictiva; algo que no sé decir qué es pero que te lleva a leerla en apenas unas horas.
Jason Bradley
(New Pulp Press offered me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review)

In this story, the author takes you on a twisting, turning jaunt that not only introduces you to some of the most interesting, fully fleshed-out characters I have ever read, but also keeps your heart racing for the entire read. This is one read you will never forget.

Amazing!
Adribarefoot
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Flipante. Es un libro que deja huella. No se te va de la mente imágenes que has leído y vienen para atormentarnos. Cruelmente real y por ello doblemente cruel. Una historia fabulosa bien creada y creible. Todo en este libro es extremo, de un modo triste y brutal.
Don Bradshaw
Set in the corrupt days after apartheid in South Africa, this is a story vividly spiced with native culture, modern thinking and the space between the two. The abject forced poverty and the utter disregard for human life made this story a tough one to read. The writing was flawless and kept the story moving well. The characters and their customs especially the Zulu, were well developed and three dimensional whether you liked them or not. I highly recommend this thriller.
Yossi
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entretenida pero falla en la cohesión de hechos y es a veces muy forzada y evidente.
Marvin
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The violence piles up quickly in Roger Smith's action packed yet depressingly realistic thriller Dust Devils. Set in South Africa, it tells a story full of deception, corruption, murder, revenge and pretty much everything else you might find in a thriller. The author's strength is not just that he can handle all of this and keep you on the edge of your seat but that he can also transport you into the South African culture in a way that makes you feel you are there. At the end you may be glad you ...more
Julie
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Ich hatte am Anfang ein paar Schwierigkeiten, mir die verschiedenen Figuren zu merken und zuzuordnen. Vielleicht lag das an meiner in letzter Zeit schwächenden Konzentrationsfähigkeit. Aber nach und nach bin ich gut in die Erzählung reingekommen und ich wurde bis zum Schluss von dem Tempo gepackt, vor allem in der zweiten Hälfte des Buches.
Dieser Roman ist brutal, unverblümt, teilweise sehr blutrünstig. Er schildert aber gut die sozialen Unterschiede, die Welt der Mächtigen und der Korruption u
Offuscatio
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Una novela con mucha garra, que primero te engancha, luego te tira a un agujero infernal, y después, poco a poco, empieza a perder su fiereza inicial y permite que te escapes más o menos ileso. En cualquier caso, es un texto que deja huella y que seguramente te perseguirá si algún día decides viajar a Sudáfrica.
Julie
Dust Devils by Roger Smith is a 2011 publication.
It's bad enough that Robert Dell, a white journalist in South Africa, has lost his family, but now he is being blamed for it. In order to hunt down the real killer, Robert must team up with his father. The thing is, he hates his father. The two have a few differences when it comes to politics. But, Robert is out of options by this time and has no choice but to join forces with his father.
The person behind Robert's frame up is set to marry his fo
Benoit Lelièvre
You have to understand two things to fully enjoy this novel. First, it's a very angry political novel, so the purpose is bigger than the story and you have to stop sometimes to let the horror seep in. Two, while Roger Smith is a decent writer, where he truly leaves everybody behind is as a storyteller. He will constantly mess with your expectations, but will articule a story of a spectacular scope without ever betraying your trust. Dust Devils is a noir novel as fine as anything ever written in ...more
Las
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never write reviews, someone has always said what I want to say. This book won't be for everyone. It's violent, shocking, raw and confronting. A gripping story, but there's no happy ending. A reflection of African politics, culture and issues of that era. It won't be the last book I read from Roger Smith, but at least I'm prepared.
Rafa
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Apropiada para leer con un cubo de palomitas.
David Bridges
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfectly executed noir novel right here. This is my first round with Roger Smith but will definitely not be my last. I don't know much about South Africa, but despite that, I totally felt like I was there. From the metro coasts to the scorching heat of a Zulu village, Smith has you right there with his characters.

The book clocks in at 302 pages but I have to admit that I blew through the book quickly. The storytelling is gripping and the characters are flawed yet believable. The narrative is c
Mark M. Williams
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Exciting and setting captures your imagination. Cultural interplay was also rewarding. I would recommend this book without hesitation. Reminds me a little of Wibur Smith novels.
Elizabeth A.
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A man who protested alongside black South Africans for the end of apartheid, freelance journalist Robert Dell is a devoted pacifist with a deeply ingrained sense of justice. When his wife and children are killed after a truck deliberately forces them off the road, Dell's grief turns into outrage when he is accused of being the one responsible for their deaths.

Initially placing his trust in the justice system to set things straight, Dell quickly realizes those responsible for the deaths of his fa
Jirka
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Dell. Obyčejný, spíše průměrný, bílý novinář, žijící si svůj monotónní život po boku atraktivní manželky a dvou dětí. Člověk, kterému se během jediného dne převrátí celý život naruby, přijde o vše, co mu bylo milé, a je donucen sáhnout si až na dno temnoty skrývající se v každém z nás.

Bílí se stali černými a černí se stali bílými, bohatství a chudoba potkávající se s silně zakořeněným rasismem a všeprostupující korupcí, tak by mohla znít zjednodušená definice postapartheidní Jihoafrické r
Anyah
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es gibt sicherlich niemals einen geeigneten Zeitpunkt für das, was dem Journalisten Robert Dell und seiner Familie zugestoßen ist; doch es war ausgerechnet sein Geburtstag, an dem seine Frau und seine beiden Kinder ermordet wurden, er selbst wurde dabei verletzt doch überlebte. Der Mörder schafft es so aussehen zu lassen, als habe Dell die Tat begangen. Nur eine Person steht nun zu ihm und verhilft ihm zur Flucht – sein von ihm gehasster Vater Earl Robert „Bobby“ Goodbread, ein ehemaliger CIA-Ki ...more
Quentin Stewart
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DUST DEVILS is one of those hard to put down books once you get started. It gives one an over view of what life is like in South Africa with one portion of the country stepping into the 21st century and part of the country still living by the rules and standards set in the times of tribal rule throughout Africa. I found this clash of belief systems to be interesting and fascinating. It shows that the hatreds created by the British rule continue to simmer just beneath the surface and at times bre ...more
Kevin Bowser
I have always been intrigued by the apartheid and post-apartheid period in South Africa. And Dust Devils by Roger Smith weaves an interesting if not convoluted story into a complex plot with many characters. The method of storytelling made it a little hard to follow for one who reads only a few chapters per night. So, my first step each time I picked up the book was to try to remember who was who!

The book is set in present day Cape Town in South Africa. It opens with a woman who is involved with
Esme
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dust Devils (Staubige Hölle) von Roger Smith ist ein gutes Buch = mein Fazit. Prokrastination während des Lesens und am Ende ein Gefühl von Erleichterung scheinen dem zu widersprechen. Lesen ist mit Gefühlen verbunden, und die lassen sich nicht immer erklären, analysieren. Die Gründe, die ich nennen kann, überzeugen mich selbst nicht.

Roger Smiths Romane sind immer wieder eine Reise ins tiefste Herz der Finsternis. Jemand wird unabsichtlich in etwas hineingezogen und taumelt unausweichlich dem Ab
April
DUST DEVILS by Roger Smith is an exciting South African crime thriller set in present day Cape Town,South Africa. It is well written with depth and details. The characters are believable,engaging and will capture your heart. It has corruption,revenge,redemption,arranged marriage,conspiracy,AIDS,South Africa,violence, lawlessness,political and civil corruption and murder. This is a fast paced,heart pumping thriller where the characters are engaged in political and civil corruption and where young ...more
C.K. Raggio
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put this down!!

DUST DEVILS by Roger Smith kept me on the edge of my seat from the first sentence. This was a quick, highly entertaining read. Set in present Cape Town in South Africa, it starts with a woman who makes a mistake, one her family pays the worst price for.

Add in drug lords, a crooked cop, a man wrongly accused, a young Zulu girl betrothed to a monster, a native son of a chief who left behind his demons in search of more; and you have one heck of a roller coaster ride.

There
Scott Kennedy
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review, favorites
I'm left a little speechless by how engrossing this book is. Thrilling, enlightening, caustic, moving, and thought provoking. The toxic legacy of colonialism scars this narrative, leaving all its characters damaged and lashing out with pain, ignorance, and grief that just won't go away. Smith's facility with point of view leaves you hating a character in one scene and empathizing with him in the next. This book burns with a distilled rage, and paints a devastating portrait of the many-sourced in ...more
Dana
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Roger Smith is the best writer of crime fiction today. I have read them all over the years starting with Mickey Spillane to Joseph Wambaugh, then Lee Child, James Lee Burke. Elmore Leonard and John Sandford (and on and on). They are absolutely great and I wait for each book they publish, but someone has to be the best and Roger Smith has taken that position.

If you enjoy crime fiction do yourself a favor and read "Dust Devils". Everything about this book is perfect. It is very violent and
Diane
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read this book, I rushed back round to Foyle's and bought Roger Smith's two other books which were available there. The real crime here is that Smith is not huge, worldwide, New York Times list and all the rest. Highly entertaining, but utterly believable South African noir, which at times will make you laugh, and at others will make you cry. Cape Town is the setting and the cast of characters is awesome.
A cracking tale, I hope he gets the recognition he deserves very soon. Far, far bette
Gavin Greenwood
Another great book from Roger Smith. Evil characters like Inja make one's skin crawl.

And a clear ability to capture African moments: "Dell followed the coast road, along the edge of Africa. To the left the cane fields, to the right the Indian Ocean. He caught glimpses of water, flat and greasy, through the fungus of condos and golf estates - the privileged hunkered down behind razor wire and electric fences, staring off toward far Australia and wondering why the hell they hadn't got the hell ou
Robin Jonathan Deutsch
Roger Smith delivers again. He weaves another amazing South Africa novel replete with the same dark, gritty and realistic flair he's offered in his previous novels.

I will not write much about Dust Devils except to say that it's an absolute page turner; but then again, every one of his novels are. There are enough descriptions of Dust Devils around to get the basic details, but you really have to spend time with it to get the complete story. I found myself re-reading passages. Smith's depictions
ROBUST: Amazonian logic 8 29 May 07, 2013 02:18PM
  • Gone at Zero Hundred 00:00 (McSwain & Beck #1)
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • Slasherazzi
  • Knighthorse
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
  • Heart of the Hunter
  • Fraidy Hole
  • Blackmail, My Love: A Murder Mystery
  • No Such Thing
  • Read No Evil
  • Sole Survivor
  • Cash Plays (Seven of Spades, #3)
  • The Dark House
  • Blood Forest
  • Vile Blood
  • Righteous Obsession
  • Unhinged
  • A Rush to Violence
Roger Smith's thrillers Nowhere, Man Down, Sacrifices, Capture, Dust Devils, Wake Up Dead, Mixed Blood & Ishmael Toffee are published in eight languages and two are in development as movies in the U.S.

His books have won the German Crime Award and been nominated for Spinetingler Magazine Best Novel awards. He also writes horror under the pen name Max Wilde.

“Roger Smith writes with brutal beau