Start by marking “Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Knife-Throwing Scene (Divergent, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Knife-Throwing Scene (Divergent, #1.5)

Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Knife-Throwing Scene

(Divergent #1.5)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  89,724 ratings  ·  4,773 reviews
#1 New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth retells a pivotal Divergent scene (chapter 13) from Tobias's point of view. This thirteen-page scene reveals unknown facts and fascinating details about Four's character, his past, his own initiation, and his thoughts about new Dauntless initiate Tris Prior.
Published April 23rd 2012 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Free Four, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cassandra
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Gerasimos
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ok. I admit it. I have a crush on Four. And the thing is that...I'm a boy.
Booknut
Recommends it for: Everyone
I thought my Divergent obsession couldn't possibly escalate any further.

I mean Fourtris goodness? Check.
Kick-ass action? Check.

But a scene from Four's POV?

Well...check!

This scene (the knife-throwing scene) from Four's POV is perfect fangirling material. I read it, sat absorbed in the moment and then started sniffling at the fact Four wasn't real for a good hour...or two!

I love the complexity of his character and how real Four is. And sorry, I can't call him Tobias for some reason - it just
Ida
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking at her is like waking up.

description

This was short! Like 16 pages short.
Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Story is Veronicas retelling of the knife throwing scene from Fours point of view. The kindle edition also includes the first two chapters from Divergent, the first two chapters from Insurgent, part of The Transfer and a chapter from Veronicas new series: Carve the Mark

I have to admit that Christina is good—though I don’t like giving credit to Candor smart-mouths—and so is Peter—t
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Oh man, this was awesome!

But I just wish there was more. Although it was quite lovely seeing things from Four's POV. You know, I've never really swooned over him or found myself connecting to him for some reason. But here I liked him a little more. I particularly enjoyed his observation of the other initiates. I thought that was pretty interesting and informative.

I like that she is not your typical pretty heroine but he finds her determination and solid strength attractive. I can love him a litt
Victoria
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
Ugh, I wish there was another edition of 'Divergent' from his POV! This made me want to reread both books again.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
I just noticed for the first time that there's a comment directly above the review box which asks, "what did you think?"

Here's what I thought : Four! Four! Four! Four!

It's a short story. But man...is this a goodie. I hearts teh Four. That's my official stance.

Did I waste 99 cents on a 14 page story? Maybe I did (because really, this should have been a freebie for as short as it is), but his PoV made my night. I didn't realize he had a witty side hiding under all of that seriousness in book 1. I
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
OMGOSH, how do I love Four, let me count the ways...
It was so great to read this from his POV.
I loved remembering how Tris saw him, how she was annoyed with him because she thought he was being "mean" to her (when in actuality he was trying to save her!).
This just makes me want to read Insurgent even more...I cannot wait until May 1st!
karen
one of the best things about having an e-reader are these groovy little splinter-chapters and novellas available digitally that are meant to tide you over until the next book in a series comes out or to re-tell something from another perspective, and it is all fangirl and -boy squee-ish and a really nice thing that authors can do for us.

like this one.

a retelling of a key scene in divergent.

but…here's the thing. while i have loved almost all of the ones mira grant has put out there, and the patri
Μaria Vrisanaki
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Άρχισε να μου αρέσει περισσότερο ο Τέσσερα!! Νομίζω πως σχεδόν πάντα απολαμβάνω καλύτερα την αφήγηση από την πλευρά του άντρα 💖
Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥
I love how Veronica Roth chose this scene for Four's POV. Most authors who have been releasing scenes from the guy's POV lately, always choose a scene where they were making out or something (in which case she probably would have gone with Chapter 31). Like Clare's An Offering of Moonlight, or Jennifer L. Armentrout's Daemon Extra from Obsidian, which is fun, of course. But this scene of Tobias and Tris is before all that happened. When they were still figuring each other out. It has a range of ...more
Sarah Ryburn
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am rather surprised by the scene choice–in talking with others who've read and loved Divergent, our shared expectation overwhelmingly seemed to be that Roth would pick either "capture the flag/ferris wheel" or "the fear landscape." She mentioned both of these scenes as possibilities she considered. On further reflection, I'm thinking that the fear landscape scene wouldn't have given much insight into the relationship–I think Tobias would have told us alot about himself but very little about hi ...more
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Looking at her is like waking up."

description
Arooj
Oh, Four.
Danae
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Tobias <3 I loved him in Divergent but now I adored him. I thought he was just being mean so Eric won't suspect him, but he is so much better than that :)
♥ Becky  22
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh my god.

It's from Four's point of view.

It's only 16 pages or something, but I'm so glad this exists.

Micheline
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it

This was much too short. Why do authors feel the need to tease us with the male's perspective? I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love reading a beloved female-driven story again from the male's perspective. It's my weakness.

Free Four an ideal excerpt to read before or after Insurgent as a way to better understand Four's character, his thought process and his feelings for Tris. He's a pretty great character, you have to admit and I'm thrilled at any kind of deeper insight int
Gabrielle Carolina
Oh, wow.

Can we just have a book from Four's perspective?

No offense Tris, but I love your man...

Whoa, Tris, watcha doin' with that knife?

*flails*

*scampers back to Candor and reminds self to shut mouth around the Dauntless*
Kathy
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Too short! I want more.
Bel Watson
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
I'm still screaming. I just discovered this now and I can't believe I didn't know about it before!! what kind of person am I?
I love Four, I love him so much, he is one of my favorite male characters ever and this scene in particular is so intense, so strong, so vivid that I felt like dying and screaming and jumping all at the same time!
Veronica Roth, again, has demonstrated how incredible she is, how talented, how great.
Tomorrow comes out Insurgent and I believe this little but perfect story was
Diane
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Aaaahhh!! totally loved it! :) I think V. Roth should write a whole book on Four's POV cause this was really really cool.
Amber J.
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Divergent
Recommended to Amber J. by: Veronica Roth's blog
Raise your hand if you were one of the 35,000 people that pre-ordered Insurgent to get Roth to reveal this Four POV scene.

Taylor says I

Four was my fave character from Divergent so I'm grateful we're given the chance to peer into his mind: to see what things were like when he was an initiate, what his plans were just before Tris arrived (view spoiler), and that he has...a fifth fear? (view spoiler)

Elizabeth
This one's actually pretty good. A super quick addition to the Divergent series for any diehard fan.
Taschima
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
oooh Four, how I love you. This short story is awessome! I wish we could have the whole book from his perspective...

I feel like short e-novellas should have their own rating system, because sure they aren't the complete story but they bring something to the table. This story for example brought a LOT to the table when it comes to hundreds of beating hearts who lovingly wait for any mention of Four in Divergent. Free Four is a short re telling of Divergent through Four's eyes, and not just on any
Ceilidh
Dec 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!

Seriously, I was pretty horrified by the glorified violence in Divergent, but this manages to be close to psychotic. Am I supposed to sympathise with this man? He's nasty, completely incapable of making any sort of comment without immediately tacking on some sort of insult, has a very messed up moral core, and is incredibly whiny.

Here's my big issue with this and Divergent. They seem to think that violence is cool, and advocate its use pretty strongly. There's a horrifi
Claudia Ramírez
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
It was fine. Didn't love it, but I really like Four, so...
Sruthi T S
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Here Four is retelling the famous knife throwing scene from his perspective. Well I gathered a lot of knowledge on his insight, things that were running on his mind at that time.Some of them where shocking!!

1.He'd got fed up with the new dauntless rules and had decided to be factionless until Tris came to his life.

2.He finally admitted to liking Tris.

3. He'd guessed Tris was a Divergent since Eric was keeping an eye on her and all the Divergent's are dying one by one except him. So he can't l
Fenia
OMG KILL ME WHY DON'T YOU??? Since I am too afraid to read Allegiant yet,i decided to read this,and OMG BEST CHOICE OF THE DAY!!! Tobias is so perfect!!! 'Looking at her is like waking up' he says,and i melt..Why does he have to be so perfect?? Ughh I hate that Allegiant isn't that good according to others. I need to know whats happening in the end,but at the same time i don't!!
Faye
Shelves: favorites, novella
"I can’t leave now. I like her too much. There, I said it.But I won’t say it again..."
Don't you just love Four?

May 1st hurry up please!
Carmen de la Rosa
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Relectura

Me he reencontrado con este relato, lo leí justo cuando acabe de leer la trilogía de Divergente hace más de 3 años, no fue lo mejor que pude haber hecho, especialmente por como termina de Allegiant y algunos momentos de este relato, no fue buena combinación, creo que este POV me destrozo mucho más.

En Free Four, tenemos el POV de Tobias del capitulo 13 de Divergente, este capitulo me hizo volver a enamorarme de Tobias, recordé porque me enamore de él y hasta el día de hoy sigue siendo de
Ari
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
'I like [this series] too much. There, I said it. But I won’t say it again'. (because I don't need too - it's obvious)
Who wants more from Four's Point of View?! 48 211 Apr 06, 2015 06:51AM
Could you connect to Four? 9 86 Dec 24, 2014 11:50PM
What Scene would you want to see in four's pov? 63 345 Dec 24, 2014 11:44PM
Divergent: Free Four: Tobias tell the story 20 86 Nov 10, 2013 07:58PM
Club de Lectura p...: Lecturas Extras 3 26 Nov 03, 2013 09:09AM
Divergent: I am freaking out at this great news right now! 10 54 Sep 07, 2013 06:42PM
love Tobias: mini series 4 14 Aug 17, 2013 02:33PM
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • An Iron Fey Valentine (The Iron Fey #4.4)
  • Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)
  • Hana (Delirium, #1.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Endurance (Razorland, #1.5)
  • The Meeting (Vampire Academy, #1.5)
  • Isolation (Partials Sequence, #0.5)
  • Life Before Legend: Stories of the Criminal and the Prodigy (Legend, #0.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Leave the Window Open (The Archived, #2.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction
  • Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5)
Veronica Roth is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Carve the Mark and the Divergent Series (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four: A Divergent Collection). Her short stories and essays have appeared in Summer Days and Summer Nights, Shards and Ashes, and the upcoming Three Sides of a Heart. The Divergent Series was developed into three major motion pictures.

Veronica grew up outside o

Divergent (3 books)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
  • Allegiant (Divergent, #3)
“I can’t leave now. I like her too much. There, I said it. But I won’t say it again.” 436 likes
“Looking at her is like waking up.” 341 likes