Start by marking “Underwater Dogs” as Want to Read:
Underwater Dogs

Underwater Dogs

The exuberant, exhilarating photographs of dogs underwater that have become a sensation

From the water's surface, it's a simple exercise: a dog's leap, a splash, and then a wet head surfacing with a ball, triumphant.

But beneath the water is a chaotic ballet of bared teeth and bubbles, paddling paws, fur and ears billowing in the currents. From leaping Lab to diving Dachsh
Published October 2012 by Little, Brown (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Underwater Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underwater Dogs

karen
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: les-animaux, roof
i have made a list of dog books over on riffle:

FUNUSUAL GIFT BOOKS FOR DOG LOVERS: It's like memes you can wrap!

check it out! http://www.rifflebooks.com/list/24866...

*******************************************

BEST BOOK EVER ALERT!!!

i know i have made this proclamation before, but that was before i knew about this book. these are photographs... wait for it...of DOGS...wait for it... UNDERWATER!!!!

what is not to love???

DO YOU KNOW WHAT DOGS LOOK LIKE WHEN THEY ARE UNDERWATER???

THEY LOOK LIKE MON
Eh?Eh!
This is not a book of mysteries - the title says it all. The dogs are caught in those seconds between air and water, photographed from below. Some are standing in the shallow end, their curious faces looking down from above. Some are snapped in action, at the end of the jump. The best of those, the ones I loved the most, are the ones where the dog has leapt with total abandon after a toy, lips stretched back from the force of hitting the water to reveal a set of fangs in even the smallest of bre ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Dogs.
Water.
Pictures.
A book.

What else would you need?

The photography is stunning. These pictures are hilarious, beautiful, kind of scary, poignant, goofy, silly, breathtaking, and more. One perfect photo has the dog perfectly centered in a bubble in the middle of the photo of the dog. Another has a dog who looks exactly like a shark. In addition to the expected photos of goldens and labs swimming for toys, there's a photo of a pug testing out the water to get the ball, and a chihuahua in ecstasy
Ann
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-artists, animals
I mean....it's dogs....and they're underwater. What isn't perfect about this happy book? Actually I could have used more pictures of that weird Boston, but I'm not knocking off a star for that.
Laine The Librarian
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog-books, lanies-fav
Okay...confess time! I actually "read" this book on Tumblr. There were pictures of all the dogs in the book, and I just fell in love with them! I am always sharing them, posting them on Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr as much as I can. One day I went to B&N and found the book. I finally had to "read" all the rest of the dogs and just stood there laughing. I love this book. I think that everybody should read this book and if you have a dog, you need to take pictures of your dog underwater!
Danielle
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the only book that matters at all ever of all time.
Amanda - Go Book Yourself
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, photography
They're dogs, underwater and they look hilarious. What more do you want?

Lisa Vegan
Thanks to Kelly for alerting me to this book. It appealed to me because I love dogs and water, but also because of my late dog Jenny, who despised the rain, and hated baths, but would gleefully jump into and swim through any body of water she could: oceans, rivers, lakes, ponds, including very, very filthy bodies of water, such as a local algae filled lake, when she then immediately got the baths she loathed. I thought this would be a fun book of photos.

And the photos are cool, and much differen
S.
You know when you're lying in the tub and your hair is floating around you all soft and mermaidy? And if you're old like me the loose skin of your face and breasts and earlobes gets all misshapen when you submerge and re-emerge? Well, this is the same thing, except with crazy, overexcited dogs who are not self-conscious at all, who don't mind someone taking their picture while they frolic. Some look angelic and some look monstrous and mostly they just look like lunatics.

I got this for my son for
Claire
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
A short but worthwhile introduction and you're straight into the photos. Of dogs underwater.

The images are a mix of silly, goofy, impressionistic, and fierce. There are a lot of bared teeth, curious to look at but also a little unsettling. I preferred the friendlier pictures.

Almost as fun as the photos are the captions which include each dog's name, breed, and age. There is also a section at the back which has headshots (close-up portraits) of the dogs on land and dry.

A very quick read with some
Jan Polep
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tiny bubbles...in the fur...(a little Don Ho reference). These dogs are a stitch. Some of the dogs are fierce as they go underwater to grab rings and balls, baring their teeth in a blizzard of bubbles. My favorite dogs smile straight at the camera, are covered in bubbles, eyes wide open, paws and tongues going in every direction. On a down day, this book would cheer anyone up!
Megan (ReadingRover)
This book was awesome. The photographs are amazing. They are of dogs of all different ages, breeds and sizes diving into water. The photos are so clear and crisp and the expressions on the dogs faces are priceless. The book is wonderful. The photographer really captures the joy in the dogs as they dive into the water.
Kwoomac
Super cool book of photos of dogs underwater. They look kind of scary, with their eyes bugging out and they're teeth all gnashing. Probably not for someone who's afraid of dogs-they might get a little freaked out.
Jane
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great photos. Dogs are the best!
Kaethe
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Simply fabulous photos of dogs underwater. Some look fierce, some look adorable, but all the pictures are great. The only thing that would make this better is more.

Library copy
Kate
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Hanging out in a pool. Photographing dogs. Yup, I want his job.
James Adams
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-non-fic
It's easy to give this book five stars because of cuteness, but the structure and format of the book unfortunately takes one star away from the amazing photography. Still, if you like dogs...
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any dog lover!
Underwater Dogs is a fabulous photography book full of pictures of, yes you guessed it, underwater dogs! The photos range from cute to hilarious to downright absurd but one thing that is completely obvious its that these dogs are loving every minute of their photo shoots. I swear in most of the photos you can actually see the smiles on their faces.

This is the kind of book that is perfect to flick through when you're having a bad day and you want something to cheer you up. It definitely has a pla
Sarai
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book with lots of very cool photos inside. I showed it to my parents and even my father, who is usually pretty grumpy, enjoyed flipping through the pages and enjoying the photography. This is a book to make animal-lovers smile. The photographs are wonderful and the dogs are funny and look outrageously happy. They also have a directory of dogs who appeared in the book in the back so you can see them non-drenched. :)

Publication Date: October 23, 2012
The exuberant, exhilarating p
Trike
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Underwater photos of dogs diving! What's not to love?

You've probably seen some of these shots on Facebook or Tumblr, but having them all together in one high-quality book is terrific. (I was surprised by this as a present today. Awesome.)

These photos are by turns goofy, cool, cute, fascinating and hilarious. Some of them are all of these at once. A couple actually have a hint of the scary, as if you're seeing some prehistoric monster coming to eat your face. The range of photos shows the dogs pe
Ashley
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The exuberant exhilarating photographs of dogs underwater that have become a sensation from the water's surface, it's a simple exercise: a dog's leap, a splash and then a wet head surfacing with a ball, triumphant. But beneath the water is a chaotic ballet of bared teeth and bubbles. Padding paws, fur and ears billowing in the currents. From leaping Lab to diving Dachshund, a dog's distinct personality shines through in the water; some lounge in the current, paddling slowly, but others arch thei ...more
Westminster Library
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: debbra
“I am passionate about dogs’ unique personalities. Their range of emotion is similar to ours. That is why we relate to them, and why they relate to us, and why together we forge deep friendships.”

For dog lovers everywhere, take a few minutes to peruse this unusual book with pictures of dogs underwater. The photographs are wonderful and show us a view of our pets we rarely see. It is a fun and instructional look through this book.

Find Underwater Dogs at Westminster Public Library.
Alissa
It's no secret that maybe, just maybe I'm more of a cat person than I am a dog person (although I like dogs too). So when I saw this book on my library's "to-be-processed" while passing through the circulation area, I couldn't resist a sneak peek. I ended up laughing out loud (people actually do that, not just text speak it) and drawing the attention of every employee within earshot. Oops. But seriously, could you resist looking inside that cover? Didn't think so! Anyway, this was exactly the so ...more
Kira
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you like dogs and are amused by water distortion, then this book is for you! You'll get to meet lots of good boys and girls, as well as their ages and breeds. The only downside is that the author only had one of his dogs in the headshot for his bio. What does his other pup look like??? v good book 12/10 would read again and again and again
Shawn
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another in the loooong line of "Capitalize on My Cute Pet Photos" books. Oddly, however, this seems like a fresh take on an overdone phenomenon.
This collection of action shots should prove engaging to both young and old -- dog-lovers especially. There's nothing clever, in the manner of "I Could Pee On This", but as photo books go it's worth checking out.
Rebecca
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is just hysterical--one of the funniest books I've ever seen. A school counselor I konw got a copy to inject some humor when she talks with kids about recognizing facial emotions, and said they never stopped laughing. It's hard to explain the appeal without looking at it, but if you love dogs, you have to see this book!
Carrie Marshall
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my coffee table book! It's the funniest, greatest photography I've seen in a long time! The author takes his work very seriously and catches these dogs at the perfect moment! Every one who comes to my house loves to flip through the book. It's a great conversation piece. All ages from 0 to 100 will love this book. Animal/ dog lovers especially!
Ligia
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Como não amar catioros submarinos?
Elizabeth☮
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An awesome collection of dogs diving underwater. I love it.
Meadow
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is AMAZING! Why didn't I think of taking pictures of dogs underwater? It is brilliant! A definite favorite for my kids as well :)
  • Shake
  • Texts from Dog
  • Monkey Portraits
  • Unlikely Friendships : 47 Remarkable Stories from the Animal Kingdom
  • Old Dogs Are the Best Dogs
Seth Casteel is an award-winning photographer and the New York Times Best Selling Author of Underwater Dogs. His forthcoming book, Underwater Puppies, will be published September 16, 2014.

In 2007, Seth began volunteering to photograph homeless pets to help them find loving families. These improved, positive photos showcased unique personalities, resulting in countless adoptions.

Since then, Seth h