Start by marking “Underwater Dogs” as Want to Read:
Underwater Dogs

Underwater Dogs

The exuberant, exhilarating photographs of dogs underwater that have become a sensation.

From the water's surface, it's a simple exercise: a dog's leap, a splash, and then a wet head surfacing with a ball, triumphant.

But beneath the water is a chaotic ballet of bared teeth and bubbles, paddling paws, fur and ears billowing in the currents. From leaping Lab to diving Dach
Published October 2012 by Little, Brown (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Underwater Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underwater Dogs

Start your review of Underwater Dogs
karen
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: les-animaux, roof
i have made a list of dog books over on riffle:

FUNUSUAL GIFT BOOKS FOR DOG LOVERS: It's like memes you can wrap!

check it out! http://www.rifflebooks.com/list/24866...

*******************************************

BEST BOOK EVER ALERT!!!

i know i have made this proclamation before, but that was before i knew about this book. these are photographs... wait for it...of DOGS...wait for it... UNDERWATER!!!!

what is not to love???

DO YOU KNOW WHAT DOGS LOOK LIKE WHEN THEY ARE UNDERWATER???

THEY LOOK LIKE MON
Deborah
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Pet photographer and animal rights activist Seth Casteel photographs the fun and excitement of dogs as they swim and play underwater. In chasing a ball, the pictures reveal dogs from states of cuteness, befuddlement, and humor to wild, primal, and ferocious. Who knew that they could look so different wide-eyed and wet.
Eh?Eh!
This is not a book of mysteries - the title says it all. The dogs are caught in those seconds between air and water, photographed from below. Some are standing in the shallow end, their curious faces looking down from above. Some are snapped in action, at the end of the jump. The best of those, the ones I loved the most, are the ones where the dog has leapt with total abandon after a toy, lips stretched back from the force of hitting the water to reveal a set of fangs in even the smallest of bre ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Dogs.
Water.
Pictures.
A book.

What else would you need?

The photography is stunning. These pictures are hilarious, beautiful, kind of scary, poignant, goofy, silly, breathtaking, and more. One perfect photo has the dog perfectly centered in a bubble in the middle of the photo of the dog. Another has a dog who looks exactly like a shark. In addition to the expected photos of goldens and labs swimming for toys, there's a photo of a pug testing out the water to get the ball, and a chihuahua in ecstasy
Ann
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, art-artists
I mean....it's dogs....and they're underwater. What isn't perfect about this happy book? Actually I could have used more pictures of that weird Boston, but I'm not knocking off a star for that.
Laine The Librarian
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lanies-fav, dog-books
Okay...confess time! I actually "read" this book on Tumblr. There were pictures of all the dogs in the book, and I just fell in love with them! I am always sharing them, posting them on Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr as much as I can. One day I went to B&N and found the book. I finally had to "read" all the rest of the dogs and just stood there laughing. I love this book. I think that everybody should read this book and if you have a dog, you need to take pictures of your dog underwater! ...more
Amanda - Go Book Yourself
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, photography
They're dogs, underwater and they look hilarious. What more do you want?

danielle ☾
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the only book that matters at all ever of all time.
Kimberly
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs, photography
This book was a delightful slice of sunshine on a dreary February day.
Lisa Vegan
Thanks to Kelly for alerting me to this book. It appealed to me because I love dogs and water, but also because of my late dog Jenny, who despised the rain, and hated baths, but would gleefully jump into and swim through any body of water she could: oceans, rivers, lakes, ponds, including very, very filthy bodies of water, such as a local algae filled lake, when she then immediately got the baths she loathed. I thought this would be a fun book of photos.

And the photos are cool, and much differen
You know when you're lying in the tub and your hair is floating around you all soft and mermaidy? And if you're old like me the loose skin of your face and breasts and earlobes gets all misshapen when you submerge and re-emerge? Well, this is the same thing, except with crazy, overexcited dogs who are not self-conscious at all, who don't mind someone taking their picture while they frolic. Some look angelic and some look monstrous and mostly they just look like lunatics.

I got this for my son for
Claire
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
A short but worthwhile introduction and you're straight into the photos. Of dogs underwater.

The images are a mix of silly, goofy, impressionistic, and fierce. There are a lot of bared teeth, curious to look at but also a little unsettling. I preferred the friendlier pictures.

Almost as fun as the photos are the captions which include each dog's name, breed, and age. There is also a section at the back which has headshots (close-up portraits) of the dogs on land and dry.

A very quick read with some
Jan Polep
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tiny bubbles...in the fur...(a little Don Ho reference). These dogs are a stitch. Some of the dogs are fierce as they go underwater to grab rings and balls, baring their teeth in a blizzard of bubbles. My favorite dogs smile straight at the camera, are covered in bubbles, eyes wide open, paws and tongues going in every direction. On a down day, this book would cheer anyone up!
Megan (ReadingRover)
This book was awesome. The photographs are amazing. They are of dogs of all different ages, breeds and sizes diving into water. The photos are so clear and crisp and the expressions on the dogs faces are priceless. The book is wonderful. The photographer really captures the joy in the dogs as they dive into the water.
Kwoomac
Super cool book of photos of dogs underwater. They look kind of scary, with their eyes bugging out and they're teeth all gnashing. Probably not for someone who's afraid of dogs-they might get a little freaked out.
Julie
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A great flip through book to share with others. The photos range from cute to downright manic!
Kate
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Hanging out in a pool. Photographing dogs. Yup, I want his job.
Kaethe Douglas
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, dogs, art
Simply fabulous photos of dogs underwater. Some look fierce, some look adorable, but all the pictures are great. The only thing that would make this better is more.

Library copy
Sherri
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coffee-table
This is so cute. Dogs...water...silly hearted fun!
Jane
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great photos. Dogs are the best!
Darinda
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction-art
Dogs. Underwater. Photos of dogs underwater. So much fun! The dogs have a range of expressive looks, from fierce to goofy.
Carson
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What can be said about Seth Casteel’s “Underwater Dogs” other the what becomes obviously apparent to anyone who opens the cover. It is a masterpiece not only of photography but American literature as well . The book may play on ‘cute’ dog motifs common in any coffee table place holder, but it is a far from common. The collections photos take the reader to a new world of “puppy love.” The Magnum Opus that is this book will shake any reader of any age to their core, and keep them flipping through ...more
Jay
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-non-fic
It's easy to give this book five stars because of cuteness, but the structure and format of the book unfortunately takes one star away from the amazing photography. Still, if you like dogs...
Kati Polodna
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coffee-table
How can you not love a book about doggos playing in the water?
Emily
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was definitely one of- if not THE- most adorable presents I received for Christmas! Thank you, Christa! 😂
Heatherblakely
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I "read" this and it brought me a lot of joy, so it counts as a 2020 read, fight me

A book full of Very Good Dogs
ECH
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious yet Arty

This is the big magical animal photography O was looking for. The composition of each photo is well chosen and interesting. I love how the water exaggerates the dog's features and individuality. Cute cheeks and terrifying teeth abound. This really cheered me up.
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any dog lover!
Underwater Dogs is a fabulous photography book full of pictures of, yes you guessed it, underwater dogs! The photos range from cute to hilarious to downright absurd but one thing that is completely obvious its that these dogs are loving every minute of their photo shoots. I swear in most of the photos you can actually see the smiles on their faces.

This is the kind of book that is perfect to flick through when you're having a bad day and you want something to cheer you up. It definitely has a pla
Sarai
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book with lots of very cool photos inside. I showed it to my parents and even my father, who is usually pretty grumpy, enjoyed flipping through the pages and enjoying the photography. This is a book to make animal-lovers smile. The photographs are wonderful and the dogs are funny and look outrageously happy. They also have a directory of dogs who appeared in the book in the back so you can see them non-drenched. :)

Publication Date: October 23, 2012
The exuberant, exhilarating p
Trike
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Underwater photos of dogs diving! What's not to love?

You've probably seen some of these shots on Facebook or Tumblr, but having them all together in one high-quality book is terrific. (I was surprised by this as a present today. Awesome.)

These photos are by turns goofy, cool, cute, fascinating and hilarious. Some of them are all of these at once. A couple actually have a hint of the scary, as if you're seeing some prehistoric monster coming to eat your face. The range of photos shows the dogs pe
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Humans of New York
  • Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send
  • Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong
  • Awkward Family Photos
  • The Dot
  • The Gallery of Regrettable Food: Highlights from Classic American Recipe Books
  • Milk Eggs Vodka: Grocery Lists Lost and Found
  • PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives (PostSecret)
  • I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A Collection of Egregious Errors, Disconcerting Bloopers, and Other Linguistic Slip-Ups
  • My Dog: The Paradox: A Lovable Discourse about Man's Best Friend
  • Shop Cats of New York
  • Night of the Mannequins
  • Dog Shaming
  • Oz: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Seth Casteel is an award-winning photographer and the New York Times Best Selling Author of Underwater Dogs. His forthcoming book, Underwater Puppies, will be published September 16, 2014.

In 2007, Seth began volunteering to photograph homeless pets to help them find loving families. These improved, positive photos showcased unique personalities, resulting in countless adoptions.

Since then, Seth