Start by marking “Necropolis (Gaunt's Ghosts #3)” as Want to Read:
Necropolis (Gaunt's Ghosts #3)

Necropolis

(Gaunt's Ghosts #3)

ON THE WAR-TORN planet of Verghast, Commissar Ibram Gaunt and his men find themselves caught up in an ancient and bloody civil war. When betrayal and treachery bring the walls of a besieged hive city crashing down, bitter rivalry and corruption surface, bringing the Tanith Ghosts to the brink of destruction. Gaunt must find new allies and recruit more ghosts if he is to save Vervu

Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published April 21st 2005 by The Black Library (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Necropolis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Necropolis

Start your review of Necropolis (Gaunt's Ghosts #3)
Simon Clark
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OK hear me out.

I don't often give out perfect ratings, and I'd like to stress that this book has flaws: as usual Abnett rushes the ending, the geography can be confusing, and sometimes it takes itself far too seriously. But for military science fiction this is as good as it gets. Just the right level of cliches, some incredibly imaginative imagery, and a huge amount of action. In fact if I was to isolate one aspect of the book to put on a pedestal, the scale of the action is unlike a
Andrew Ziegler
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is funny that Abnett states that he really got his groove writing about the Tanith Regiment by this novel in his introduction to the first Omnibus, The Founding. Funny because it is so true. Here the characters are matured and defined and stuck in Hell. The Ghosts don't show for the first 50 pages of the book, and when they do it is unheralded and anonymously as per usual.

Necropolis is a story of a knock dawn, drag out, to the last man defense of a city. The body count is in the 100,000s and
Vinh-Thang
Welll isn't this the best Ghost novel so far !

This book is about heroism heroism cowardice cowardice heroism cowardice HEROISM HEROISM HEROISM.

Great female characters too, much needed.
Martin
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warhammer-40k, sci-fi
Necropolis

The beginning of the novel is told from many perspectives - ranging from the rich nobility to low-class civilians - and tells of the opening phases of the siege on Vervunhive. The mega-city's neighbouring hive, Ferrozoica, amasses an army and marches on their former rival with an unknown agenda. The Vervun Primary militia prepares to repel the invasion forces, but as Vervunhive's High Master refuses to believe that Ferrozoica has mobilised against them, they are not given p
Stuart
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read. Review to follow soon.
Duncanator
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is about an assault by chaos, on a giant city. Gaunt's regiment and a few others are brought in to solve the problem, but they're facing ridiculous odds and a chaos warleader. This one is about a siege. Most of these books seem to concentrate on a particular aspect of warfare. They're all great so far.
Bookhode
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Feth yeah, this is the Warhammer 40k book I was waiting for! Even though all WH40k novels I've read so far have had their fair share of interesting characters, action, Chaos plots, Imperial politics, blood, guts, bravery and duty, it was finally here in "Necropolis" where all those elements really meshed together, and combined with an exciting last stand story, to provide a completely engaging and meaningful experience for the reader.

When massive industrial city of Vervunhive is sudd
Stewart Crichton
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the third in Abnett's popular Ghost series. By this stage (and in his own words) he's clearly getting to grips not only with his characters, but with the 40K setting as well. Whilst later books may be better laid out, or have more diverse characterisation, for me Necropolis is the best and most gripping of the series.

Throughout the violent siege of Vervunhive by the Chaos-tainted forces of Zoica, Abnett strives to show the war from the view of civilians, guardsmen and Lords o
Flyss Williams
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 The Ghosts find themselves on the trade planet of Verghast sent to defend the city of Vervenhive against an attack from a rival hive faction. It soon becomes clear this attack is not a takeover bid but an attempt to destroy the hive totally this can only be the work of Chaos, but who is the puppet master this time?
Adam Whitehead
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Supplying the vast armies of the Imperium with their weapons of war are the hive worlds, industrialised planets consisting of huge city-states called hives which churn out the hundreds of thousands of vehicles, millions of weapons and billions of munitions required for the Imperium to wage war on its foes. The individual hives on any one world are very competitive with one another, sometimes even to the point of open conflict.

On Verghast, the hive-states of Vervunhive and Ferrazoica,
Zach Perry
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Original Review at Journey to Nowhere: https://journey2nowhere.com/2019/09/1...

My epic reread of the Gaunt’s Ghosts series by Dan Abnett continues with the third installment, Necropolis. Coming off a victory on Monthax, the Ghosts, along with a number of other imperial guard regiments, are redirected from the next Crusade push to help resolve an inter-hive conflict on an industrial world known as Verghast. This world’s manufacturing facilities are one of the major suppliers of war resources for Wamaster Macaroth’s forces, so
Krzysztof
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The premise behind this one is solid, but I found the execution lacking. Firstly, the fragmented POV of this book is, for the first in the series, an issue - it puts focus all over the place, often introducing names and places that are immediately discarded in favour of other names and places. Secondly, it completely shafts several motifs that are basically forgotten about until the very end of the book, when they are closed off in a very anticlimactic fashion. And then there's the climax of the ...more
Michael Dodd
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On the Imperial world Verghast, the inhabitants of Vervunhive are stunned when their old-enemy-turned-ally hive Ferrozoica launches an all-out assault. As Imperial Guard reinforcements, including the Ghosts, join in the defence of Vervunhive, it becomes clear that this is much more than a trade war – Ferrozoica has been turned to Chaos.

It’s easy to see why so many people consider this the best of the series, as it’s got absolutely everything. The scope of the book is huge, but by com
Sean Goh
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Starts slow by telling a story from the POV of some civilian /planet-side characters, before jumping into the deep end of siege defense culminating in off-world (read Gaunt's Ghosts and friends) aid being called in. Introduces some sorely needed female characters, and the interplay between the Ghosts and the planetsiders is refreshing to see. The tension is laid on throughout as the taint of chaos becomes increasingly apparent, and the build up is great, even if the climactic battle feels a litt ...more
Ponge
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm continuing to enjoy this series.
The book starts off slow introducing quite a large amount of characters. You really get rewarded for the slower start in the middle and end of the book. I really enjoyed the whole story and everytime I had to stop reading I was looking forward to the next train ride to/from work!
Daniel O'Brien
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Abnett keeps getting better. Great pacing, solid characterisations, brutal survival rate, decent prose, and masterful world building. At least by the standards of highly-entertaining action sci-fi trash :D

Super keen to read the rest of the series.
Jack Lincoln
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Personally, Necropolis was an outstanding read that added a whole host of new characters and settled a lot of lore-oriented questions, with plenty of harrowing action interspersed throughout. All in all, an excellent read.
Mario Acanda
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dan Abnett is REALLY good at drawing the scope of warfare in the 41st millenium setting. The loss of life is so staggering in this novel yet so inconsequential to the Imperium at large. Very poignant.
Adam
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get into the story as it has quite a slow beginning. As soon as Gaunt and his ghosts show up the book steps up the pace and I was hooked.
A really good read from the warhammer 40k universe.
Wayne
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easily the best of this trilogy, now there is a feeling of familiarity in the characters. It is the first to follow one full mission with the Ghosts, and it is epic in it's vision of war and expertly delivered.
John
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, owned, sci-fi
Abnett finally hits his stride in the series in this book. A huge jump in quality here. The grinding descent into the hell of urban warfare in a hive city against Chaos-warped fanatics is great, and really sets up the importance of the final last-ditch gambit.
Rosalie Morris
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Favourite book from the first six. I read the second omnibus first so had already met the Verghastites and was very emotionally invested in their story.
Kenneth
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: warhammer-40k
Gaunt have to defend the hive city of Vervunhive from being overrun by Chaos.
Chang Pendragon
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now THIS is great stuff.
Probe1
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Slim on plot and overbearing on ultra violence. Characters pretty much exist to make named characters look good, with the exception of characters that will be featured in later books.
Sam Clinton
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the best Gaunt novels. Just brilliant.
Carl Phillips
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a excellent book. Excellent pacing, good character development and solid writing. Particularly impressed by the way the author juggled POVs and writing styles.
Tyler Powell
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant 40k novel by Abnett. The epilogue wrenched my heart quite a bit, and I wish I had finished it closer to Memorial Day. It was touching.
Matimate
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2015
I have morbid fascination of dark future of Warhammer 40K. I am tempted to count the Ghost looses trough the book, because after reading several books about them I have strange feeling that the body count is slightly larger then proclaimed size of the First and only. However if you are not nitpick you may enjoy yourself. The huge warning of this book is that Ibram Gaunt had sex, like actual one with woman. Mercifully it was like kiss in the evening and morning with naked lady, so it is on your i ...more
Chip Hunter
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once more Gaunt and his Ghosts find themselves fighting against impossible odds as they are sent the hive city of Vervunhive, which is under attack from what seems to be one of the hive's greedy rivals. As in all of the Warhammer 40K books I've so far read, this one is full of mind-numbing violence and cruelty. The desperate plight of the common people as their city is decimated around them and disease and panic spread is painful because of its realistic feel. The greed and brutality of the priv ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: page numbers 2 10 May 20, 2015 09:12AM

• For the Emperor (Ciaphas Cain #1)
  • Caves of Ice (Ciaphas Cain #2)
  • Plague War (Dark Imperium #2)
  • The Traitor's Hand (Ciaphas Cain #3)
  • Cain's Last Stand (Ciaphas Cain #6)
  • Duty Calls (Ciaphas Cain #5)
  • Soul Hunter (Night Lords #1)
  • Death or Glory (Ciaphas Cain #4)
  • The Devastation of Baal (Space Marine Conquests #1)
  • Betrayer (The Horus Heresy #24)
  • The Solar War (The Siege of Terra #1)
  • Fallen Angels (The Horus Heresy #11)
  • Cadia Stands (Cadia #1)
  • Galaxy in Flames (The Horus Heresy #3)
  • The Flight of the Eisenstein (The Horus Heresy #4)
  • The Emperor's Finest (Ciaphas Cain #7)
  • Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium (Ciaphas Cain #1-3)
  • Blood Reaver (Night Lords #2)

Gaunt's Ghosts (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • First and Only (Gaunt's Ghosts #1)
  • Ghostmaker (Gaunt's Ghosts #2)
  • Honour Guard (Gaunt's Ghosts #4)
  • The Guns of Tanith (Gaunt's Ghosts #5)
  • Straight Silver (Gaunt's Ghosts #6)
  • Sabbat Martyr (Gaunt's Ghosts #7)
  • Traitor General (Gaunt's Ghosts #8)
  • His Last Command (Gaunt's Ghosts #9)
  • The Armour of Contempt (Gaunt's Ghosts #10)
  • Only in Death (Gaunt's Ghosts #11)
“I am an Imperial commissar. I will enflame the weak, support the wavering, guide the lost. I will be all things to all men who need me. But I will also punish without hesitation the incompetent, the cowardly, and the treasonous. --Ibram Gaunt” 15 likes
“The distinction between Trade and Warfare is seen only by those who have no experience of either.�
-Heironymo Sondar, House Sondar ”
3 likes