Start by marking “A Real Mother: Stumbling Through Motherhood” as Want to Read:
A Real Mother: Stumbling Through Motherhood

Read Excerpt

A Real Mother: Stumbling Through Motherhood

Columnist, Denise Malloy, is A Real Mother. It took her three months to figure out she was pregnant and not suffering from chronic food poisoning. She's been parentally challenged ever since. For the last six years, Malloy has been amusing readers with tales of motherhood, relationships and mid-life. She waxes profound, and occasionally profane, on issues that touch every ...more
Published March 12th 2012 by One Red Dog Press

To ask other readers questions about A Real Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Real Mother

Christine
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I LOVED this book! I won it from a Goodreads give-away and am quite happy I did.

I related very much to the author's stories and at times was actually laughing out loud at some of the stuff she had written (like the section about AXE). It was very refreshing to read about her trials as a parent because they truly were those of a "real mother." I also liked that each little story was only a few pages so I could pick it up between tasks or when I didn't have the time to sit and read it straight th
Gale
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
The chapters were each like short essays on some of the tribulations of motherhood. Probably my favorite piece was about all you go through trying to come up with a name for your baby. I remember it being exactly like Ms. Malloy described it.i received this fun read Ina giveaway and immediately passed it on to a friend, pregnant with the first baby, to give her some idea the kinds of things you are forced to embrace after you become a parent. It' was an easy, enjoyable, true-to-life selection mo ...more
Carla
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just finished re-reading "A Real Mother," the perfect thing to pick up and read when you need to sneak away from your kids (or spouse, or pets, or in-laws) a few minutes for yourself and have a good laugh. Nobody seems to capture the absurdity of modern parenting like Denise does, and you're always guaranteed several laugh out loud moments in every one of her essays. Pull up a chair, and let her spin you a tale...
Tanya
Written by a stay at home mom whose columns are in a Montana paper - most the columns hit close to home for any mother trying to balance the job of motherhood. Some were funnier than others - I find it always nice to read about another mom's adventures and remember I'm not alone in similar zany days with my boys.
Heather
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A laugh out loud collection of short stories about a family raising two young boys. I could see my own self in many of the stories which only made them more true to life. Recommended reading for any mother.
Katrina Stumphf
Aug 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Very blah. I really didn't find myself laughing much, I was bland humor
Lori
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
LOL Funny started reading it last night and I am half way through
Sue
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This made me LOL.
Ashley
May 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I did not care for this book one bit. I won it through GoodReads First Reads and I thought I might enjoy it because it was supposed to be humorous and a reflection on the struggles with motherhood but instead I feel like I just read through 120 pages of suburban mom complaining about her good fortune to be a stay-at-home mom in middle-class America. It was annoying.

Ms. Malloy came across to me as ungrateful and unappreciative. She complained about some of the most annoying little things such as
Rachel
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

This book was enjoyable, at times laugh at loud funny. It is very short - only 136 pages. It took me 3 months to read it only because I started reading it on a phone that my daughter took over, and I finally just not transferred the file to my new Kindle so that I could finish it. Once I finally picked it back up, I finished the last 55% or so in an hour. For me, some of the funniest chapters were: Some Assembly Required, Twas the Night Before Christmas, Mom, Interrupted, Frazzled Mom -
Susan
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a very funny book about Motherhood. A great read for any mother - stay at home or working mom. As mother, we all have to deal with the situations in this book. This one made me smile, giggle and even laugh out loud!
Miki
Sep 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
More like "Stumbling through writing this book"
Linda
Aug 30, 2012 rated it liked it
She seemed to have had quite a time of being a mother, quite the opposite of my experience. Each of has a different path I guess.
Peggy
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it
it was cute. jumped around a lot.
Kristina
Dec 30, 2013
Kristyn
rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2012
Denise Malloy
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kristin
rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2014
Rachel
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Had it's moments... but the mediocre outweighed the funny on this one.
Lisa M.
Jul 03, 2019
Dec 27, 2012
Stefanie Dowell
rated it it was ok
Dec 06, 2013
Melissa
Aug 29, 2012
Although she was born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky, Denise Malloy will never be confused with a Southern belle even though she still says y'all. Denise lives with The Husband and The Boys in Bozeman, MT. After working as a lifeguard, a Peace Corps Volunteer, a middle school teacher, a switchboard operator and finally, an attorney (but don't hold that against her) she is uniquely qualified to ...more