Start by marking “The Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers” as Want to Read:
The Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers

The Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  711 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
London, 1963. Angela Patrick was 19 years old and pregnant. Being under 21, she was still under the governance of her parents, strict Catholics who sent her to an imposing-looking convent for unmarried mothers. At eight weeks, her son was taken away from her and put up for adoption. 30 years later, he contacted her and a reunion was arranged.
Published 2012 by Simon & Schuster UK

To ask other readers questions about The Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers

Gemma
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed reading about the life of Angela - just how she ended up pregnant while unmarried, why the adoption went ahead and how she lived the rest of her life.

The book is a quick read and feels like a very honest telling of Angela's story - no unnecessary dramatics or flourishes in the telling.

Having said that, I was by no means blown away by the writing style - it's not the great next English novel.

For anyone interested in this sad part of our recent history or wanting to know mor
Maggie
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I was adopted in the mid fifties I was interested to read about the experiences of someone forced to give up her child in what I would have hoped was the slightly more enlightened mid sixties.

Sadly I think the situation was much the same for Angela Patrick as it must have been for my own 'birth' mother. It is really shocking how these girls were treated by people who had dedicated themselves to God.

Angela tells her story in a powerful and unsentimental way. At times not an easy read, but a wo
Sarah Rodgers
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
It is hard to categorise this book as I did like it but the subject matter makes it very difficult to say that it was amazing. It is not one of those 'nice, comforting' books but a very gritty true story of a young woman who found herself pregnant outside of marriage in the 1960's when attitudes to this were quite frankly medieval.

It is a very candid account of what this woman went through and the treatment that she received from nuns who were taking care of her leading up to the birth and subs
Sarah Goodwin
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I always struggle with reviewing memoirs because you can't really comment on the 'story' as it's real life and not something that someone made up, so obviously it's going to have loose ends and gaps and feel just the tiniest bit unsatisfying.

Events in this book are told clearly and well, even though a lot of detail is left out with regards to settings, appearances and other 'literary detail' that would have brought it more to life. It is very easy to feel the emotion of the writer coming throug
Angie Rhodes
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, The way unmarried mothers, were treated,is disgusting! so small minded, As for the nuns! The nuns.were cruel,, showing no mercy, even though the bibles asks, for you to treat people as you would like them to treat you,, Well they didn't! A great eye opening story. This happened in the 1960's,, not that long ago, A great read and a real eye opener, ,
Beverley hopper
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story heart breaking well worth the read
Rebecca
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is Angela Patrick's heartbreaking true story about having her first child. I could not put this book down, it's so well written and full of emotion that you feel almost like you're there.

I have to admit that before I had even finished reading this book I had the paperback version in my basket on Amazon. I've bought it as a gift for someone who I hope will enjoy it as much as I did.

In the book Angela takes us through a series of events in her life that were not only bleak and taxing but tr
Shadey Cole
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is an incredible story. I came across this treasure while browsing at a Half Priced Books. I picked it up, being interested in the time period it took place in, and decided to purchase it, seeing as to how it was only $4. I LOVED it. It intrigued me from the very beginning. From page 1 to page 275, not a page was there that I didn't devour. The entire time I read the last 100 pages, I had chill bumps. Tears even sprung to my eyes at many parts. This is a must read, whether you've been ...more
Jantina
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I needed to read this book to understand what my mother went through in the mid nineteen forties, although this book tells a story of a much later period. It is difficult for us today to understand why a devout Catholic family would put their public image and church first before supporting their daughter's and potential grandchildren. The book gives a real sence of these girl's seeing themselves as sinners and not holding any grudges against their families who gave them no other option.
It was a
Carole
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very well written book, by the author, who went through so much emotional experience like many in her time.
Angela was born a Catholic and as a teenager in the sixties committed the mortal sin of getting pregnant.
In those days things were very different to now. Despite her good job she like many were naive about the facts of life which largely were not spoken about.
Shame was great in those days and life was impossible for an unmarried mother .
The book will tug at heart stings and is emotional
  • Tales of a Midwife
  • Midwife on Call: Tales of Tiny Miracles
  • The Saturday Supper Club
  • The Girl in the Painted Caravan
  • Yes Sister, No Sister: My Life as a Trainee Nurse in 1950s Yorkshire
  • The Sugar Girls: Tales of Hardship, Love and Happiness in Tate  Lyle’s East End
  • Confessions of a Male Nurse
  • Two Little Girls: A Memoir of Adoption
  • The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler
  • Necrophobia (Zombie Apocalypse #1)
  • Listen to Me Good: The Story of an Alabama Midwife (Women & Health C&S Perspective)
  • Forbidden (The Druid Chronicles, #1)
  • Down Among the Dead Men: A Year in the Life of a Mortuary Technician