Jump to ratings and reviews

The Forsaken #1

Forsaken Heart

Punished for sins not her own, can a mortal claim her vampire mate?

For Bede MacTaggert this means trusting in the warrior sent for her sister—a man of mystery, of power, and one who could easily sweep her into a world she's destined to be part of.

An imperial guard to the king of vampires, Gawain has always tuned out the needs of the flesh. Dedicating himself to the service of the royals, he's lived on the fringes of his people for centuries. Now he's forced from the shadows and into the arms of a woman who will awaken his heart and body to a passion unequaled.

Content Warning: sexy alpha vampire, explicit sex, violence

ebook

First published April 3, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Elise Whyles

22 books14 followers
Canadian Romance Author, Elise loves writing steamy, edgy paranormal romances with strong, alpha heros and feisty heroines.
Elise has authored over 20 books, many of which have had the rights returned to her. She is focusing on the Paranormal romances - mainly the revised and expanded Dark Immortal Series with the first book slated for release in 2023.
For her contemporary romance, she'll be relaunching those titles under a new pen name so stay tuned for that announcement.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (9%)
1 star
3 (13%)
Displaying 1 - 11 of 11 reviews
Profile Image for Carolyne.
228 reviews12 followers
March 18, 2018
Forsaken Heart was provided to me for free in exchange for a review.

'The world of immortals must unite to save both themselves and the mortals they co-exist with from an ancient evil.'

Forsaken Heart caters to an audience who loves their males dominant, their women spunky and their sex hot and plentiful. It's what you'd expect from paranormal romance/erotica, but has a few twists that make it fresh and original and sets it apart from the genre.

The vampires of has one of the most best concepts I've heard of in a while. Forsaken Heart borrows from Greek Mythology for the conception of this worlds vampires. I found the mythology behind the vampires with Selene the moon goddess, being the mother of all vampires an awesome spin on vampire lore as it makes so much sense and I can't believe that this hasn't been done before.

There is stuff here I did really love and enjoy. The hero, Gawain, has taken a vow of chastity and my god, is that ever a glorious thing to read. This is seriously something that I've never seen written about much in a lot of the stuff I read whether it be contemporary, erotica or a straight up harlequin romance novels. It's the woman who's the blushing, inexperienced, virgin and her virginity is placed up on this pedestal and the 'virgin/whore' trope is milked for all it's worth. Sure, Bede is a virgin too, but it's no where near as hyped up as her love interests. Considering Gawain is written as a 'sexy alpha vampire' having him abstain from sex is fascinating. It's established why he's chaste and, upon finding his mate, it doesn't take long for the two to get it on, with a couple fantasy scenes before the actual deed is done. And there is plenty 'getting it on'. Both the characters, really, have fairly intriguing pasts and it's interesting seeing them interact with the mortals and immortals around them.

The only nit pick I have is that there were times where it felt like the pacing was a bit off and it felt a little rushed to get from Point A to Point B and it affected the world building for me somewhat. The latter part of Forsaken Heart was defiantly stronger and it did get better over the course of the book and it left me wanting more from this series as first books often make me feel. As a side note, I know that romance and sex isn't for everyone and this book does have a lot of sex in it. That's not a bad thing and it clearly advertises itself having the content, but if heavy romance and descriptive sex isn't your thing, Forsaken Heart may not be for you.

Forsaken Heart was very enjoyable, despite the few nitpicks that I can forgive as it's the first book in a series. While it may not be for everyone, it definitely shines in the Paranormal Romance genre where it's strengths lie in interesting characters, lore that's original, and sex that's hot.
Profile Image for Nikki McCarver.
194 reviews41 followers
May 15, 2012
This book is the first in a four part series and I must say the first one is a really great read! It starts off with Bede and her sister being sold to a slaver. Her father eagerly parts with them for a pouch of gold. Bede calms her sister's fears and thinks of this as an opportunity to get away from their abusive parent. Since the death of her mother, everything has fallen onto Bede's shoulders. She loves her sister more than anything and would willingly die for her. They do not even make it to their new home before their master is demanding a taste of the goods. Bede is fighting him off with all she has and her sister jumps on his back to try to stop him. But Bede's ultimate savior is a shock. He is like no one she has ever seen before, except of course in her nightmares.

Gawain is set to a task he does not relish. His king bides him to seek a child that is full of prophecy, and bring her to him. Gawain carries the guilt of his former queen's murder as a burden. He has held tight to his vow of chastity and seeks to redeem himself for failing the queen, even though the burden is not his to carry. As a vampire immortal, he has suffered a very long time. As he begins his journey into the mortal realm he is beset by the sound of a child screaming as soon as he steps through the portal. Fury surges through him. Humans can be more savage than any immortal known. Making haste to lend aid, he kills the slaver before he is able to rape Bede. Gawain is unprepared for the rapid flow of emotions that she brings about.

This book dips into Greek mythology, which is one of my favorites, by making Selene (the moon goddess) the mother of the vampires. This is one of my favorite things about this book. It is an unbelievably awesome concept. The moon goddess being the creator of vampires who can only live at night? It actual makes sense!!! It is called the Forsaken series because the vampire king threw all of the other races into the mortal realm when his queen was killed. These immortals were forsaken and forgotten about. There were many and the descriptions make me anxious to dive into the second book. Gawain was modeled after his role in King Author's Court. Bede remains a bit of a mystery as to what exactly she is because even though she has fangs, she can call fire. This interesting twist was added at the end. Very Very good read!!! I can't wait for the second book!!!
Profile Image for Stefanie.
126 reviews2 followers
June 6, 2018
I‘ve received the book in exchange for a review. The story is very interesting, and I will keep reading the next books to find out the whole story. You will not find all answers in the first book to your questions 😉. It was not always to keep up with the story, from time to time there were some jumps in the storyline. But I really like the two MC Bede and Gawain and their sweet but also hot lovestory.
2 reviews
August 25, 2019
Wow! An amazing read! I got the chills so many times in this book. It completely blew my mind. It surpassed my expectations. Completely took me in after only a few lines.
Profile Image for Alex.
777 reviews19 followers
August 16, 2018
Gawain is sent for Bede and her sister, and Bede must trust him to take them to safety. Gawain has never given in to his personal desires, and he lives to serve his royals. Now, he can barely keep his vampire side from drinking Bede dry.

When Bede's sister goes missing, she has to trust Gawain to bring her back. She finds herself still falling for Gawain, even though he shies away from her at almost every opportunity. She can't help herself, and she just hopes that the both of them will be able to focus long enough to find her little sister.

When I originally saw this cover, I thought that it was going to be one of those highlander romances. I am a bit wishy-washy with those, so I was excited to learn that it was actually a vampire alpha romance.

The majority of this story focuses on Bede's romance with Gawain, and not the actual world. This was not necessarily a good thing, as sometimes it felt as if most of the story had been squished in between their frequent sex scenes. I did get the gist of the main plot, but I believe it could have been expanded upon a bit more. Nevertheless, I understand that this is a romance series, so each book might end up focusing on the romance of the main characters and then build the world on the side throughout the novels.

I did like the character development. Gawain was used to only looking out for himself and putting all of his effort into serving the royals, so having another person to care about was actually rather strange for him. He did his best not to give in to his physical desire for Bede, but in the end, his instincts just overtook him.

The only thing that I didn't really understand by the end of the story was the whole "Punished for sins not her own" part of the synopsis. I didn't feel like this had been fully explained throughout the novel, and if I didn't see it in the synopsis, I would not have been expecting it. This is why I unusually don't like to focus too much on the synopsis and instead choose to let the book tell its own story.

The plot flowed fairly smoothly, albeit quickly, and there were no grammar errors that I noticed. For a short romance story, it was actually written pretty well! There weren't any of the random plot holes that are usually left in short stories.
I would recommend this to lovers of adult romance novels.

I received a copy of this book and this is my voluntary review.
Profile Image for Gunjan Mittal.
202 reviews14 followers
June 22, 2018
Forsaken Heart is the first book in the four part series and is an interesting read. The story starts with Bede and her sister being sold by their father for a bag of gold to a slaver. Bede is smart and starts thing of an escape plan. They both get an opportunity to run away. Bede is like a mother to her younger sister and the bond between the two sisters is really strong.

Read the complete review on my blog - http://blushesandsparkle.com/forsaken...
Profile Image for GillyBean.
32 reviews1 follower
May 6, 2018
DNF 59% - Promising. I got this free for a review but I’m a bit disappointed. I tried but I couldn’t anymore. The story seems all over the show, it’s a bit too rushed and confusing and I couldn’t keep up.
9 reviews
April 22, 2013
This series is fantastic. Keep on writing. Both you and Ms. Lake have a way with world building. I love you both.
4 reviews
April 22, 2013
This was the first of a really great series. I buy everyone that comes out and wait impatiently for others.
Profile Image for Sara Lee.
9 reviews
August 1, 2018
Worst piece of garbage I have read in a while. Mess of a story, where it is like you are reading the third book in as series despite this being the first as names, places and world knowledge is spewed out left and right from the first chapter with no sensible explanation. 1 day after meeting the male protagonist of the story, our female protagonist (who believes him to be another bad guy) is suddenly so overcome with lust that everything even close to a story line is long forgotten and Bede suddenly gains vampiric super powers and fighting abilities.. And then somehow loses them again? And do not even get me started on the last final battle or the ridiculousness of the ending.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Displaying 1 - 11 of 11 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.