Start by marking “The Copper Gauntlet (Magisterium, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Copper Gauntlet (Magisterium, #2)

The Copper Gauntlet

(Magisterium #2)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  22,473 ratings  ·  2,163 reviews
Callum Hunt’s summer break isn’t like other kids’. His closest companion is a Chaos-ridden wolf, Havoc. His father suspects him of being secretly evil. And, of course, most kids aren’t heading back to the magical world of the Magisterium in the fall.

It’s not easy for Call . . . and it gets even harder after he checks out his basement and discovers that his dad might be try
Published September 1st 2015 by Scholastic Press

·  22,473 ratings  ·  2,163 reviews

Rick Riordan
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an early copy of this, and I can assure you this sequel is even stronger than The Iron Trial. It’s hard to review without giving spoilers for the first book, but let’s just say Callum Hunt has a lot to think about. Some of the things he’s found out about himself, his family and the Magisterium have left him reeling. Even the companionship of his new “pet” wolf Havoc (a fabulous character) can’t console him as he prepares for his second year at the Magisterium. Call’s re ...more
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This wasn't the EPIC sequel I wanted it to be necessarily, but I can see the seeds it's planting and I can't wait to see how things evolve in the next few books.
Emma Giordano
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
4 Stars! I really enjoyed this sequel, I liked it better than book one!

I think back in 2015 when I first read The Iron Trial , I was a very immature reader and I didn’t allow myself to fully engage with a non-Shadowhunters books from Cassie Clare. Obviously, these works are very different in every way and both good for their own reasons!

The Copper Gauntlet pulled me in from the very beginning! It was easy to jump back into this world with these characters even though it’s been 2 years since I r
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Full review to come!
Lola
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
3.5 stars.

Of course, this is no ‘‘The Mortal Instruments.’’ It doesn’t even compare. It’s not even some middle grade version of it with some elements changed. Not at all.

So it’s no wonder that, even though I do adore Cassandra Clare, I’m not exactly in love with this series. To tell you the truth, I did not enjoy the first book exactly, because of all the similarities to Harry Potter.

But this sequel helped the series redeem itself to me. I liked the mix of fantasy/magic and mystery. Callum stru
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms (Book.Enchantress)
4.75 Golden Stars

ladies & gentlemen!
I introduce to you,
my first 5 stars of 2019!
*drum rolls*
the Copper Gauntlet!

I KNEW IT!
I WAS WAITING FOR IT!
YESSSSS!

What a journey! from the first to the last! (page)
Glorious!
it was even better than the first book! (which is about a year I read that & joined the fandom, but didn't felt the best mood to start the second book till now!)

OMG!
Why is Everything happening in the most DRAMATIC way!?
*my inner author in training answering in a mysterious whispe
Josu Grilli
3.5.

Un aumento de calidad en cuanto a trama y construcción de personajes respecto a la primera parte, pero algo corta y con una acción muy limitada, aunque con un ritmo mucho más dinámico y mejores diálogos. Una segunda parte que consigue introducirte por completo en la saga y que hace desear saber más a la de ya.

Pese a haber abandonado durante unos días la lectura de El guante de cobre, Clare y Black tienen una pluma mágica y consiguieron que leyera un setenta por ciento de la novela en apenas
Erika
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh God, where do I begin? Mi ricordo ancora l'esaltazione che ho provato quando Cassandra Clare e Holly Black hanno annunciato la serie del Magisterium e rammento ancora meglio e con più calore la forte emozione che ho provato quando ho finito di leggere il primo capitolo della serie. Ero entusiasta e non vedevo l'ora di prendere in mano il secondo, che ero sicura avrei amato. Volevo davvero che mi piacesse, ma non è stato così.

La storia di Callum Hunt ha avuto reazioni molto controverse fin dal
LENA TRAK
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, fantasy
Hmmm this is getting more interesting! I can't wait to pick up the next!!!
★MC's Corner★
5 stars!!!

description

“The end is closer than you think, Makar.” –Warren

Yeah!
Cassandra Clare and Holly Black did not disappoint!

5 STARS B****es! SO GOOD! I LOVE IT!

*MC’s Corner*
Note: Spoilers.

• The Copper Gauntlet is more adventurous than The Iron Trial. I liked that they went outside the Magisterium. (I know it’s against the rules.) I also this one is more fun.

• My only gripe on this book is that it’s too short… I mean much as I love it, I kinda wanted. I waited a year. Duh!

• I wish there’s more of th
Emma
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic
You don’t need adult fiction, nor YA fiction when a middle grade story such as this is around. Absolutely excellent. Clare and Black certainly believe in keeping the action coming. I thought the events in this book would be the culmination of the series so I’m excited to see where the series goes next.
Thibaut Nicodème
Nov 17, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: snark
Chapter-by-chapter review on my blog, the Snark Theater.

Okay. This book just managed to disappoint me, which is pretty impressive considering that 1) I had zero expectations going in and 2) it actually does improve on its predecessor on some levels. Well, one level.

That being the book's plot. We have a focused plot, which is actually driving the events happening in the book from almost the entirety of it! Sure, there is a moment in the middle where things kind of stagnate, but as a whole, the pl
ambsreads
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review can also be found on my blog

R A M B L E

Wow, what a book. I was sucked in almost instantly. The beginning for this was such a bigger bang than the first book. There were flat parts, but since it is only an incredibly short novel I was completely enthralled and involved with the world.

The Copper Gauntlet definitely displays a different kind of story to Harry Potter and Percy Jackson (sorry for the comparison), it definitely strays completely away from the belief that this series is i
jennyliest
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Der erste Band konnte mich nicht vollends überzeugen & ich war mir sogar noch unsicher, ob ich Band 2 überhaupt lesen werde ... Gut, dass ich mich dafür entschieden habe! Es war grandios! Magisch, unheimlich & super spannend! Mich konnte dieses Buch absolut in seinen Bann ziehen! <3
Alexa ❤️
5 Stars

The Copper Gauntlet may have been short but it was jam packed full of action and mystery that wouldn't let me put this book down.

The Magisterium series definitely has a Harry Potter feel to it in that's there's a magical school, three main good characters, a chosen one and an evil being. But it has so many differences that make it stand apart in a good way!

Havok has to be my favourite character - I want him as a pet!

Jasper has proved he's not an ass and I even like his character now.
Sarah Churchill
I seem to be in the minority here, but I really struggled with this one. I found it incredibly slow, it only really got going from page 200 onwards and I have a strong dislike for the main character Call.

To he honest I wish the series had been written from Tamara's perspective. That way we could have the complexities of the relationships, her feelings (or not) for Aaron and her doubts/loyalty to Call, as well as her family and the intricaties of the Assembly and mage world. From Call's perspecti
Claudia / BeautyButterflies
Der zweite Band hat mir noch besser gefallen als der erste, deshalb auch mehr Sterne! Ein tolles Abenteuer und interessantes Ende
Michael
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Yeah, sure the Harry Potter vibes are there, but I still think this is a solid middle grade series. My only complaint would be that these two badass authors know how to really make sh*t go down, so I'd like maybe a little more action.

Other than that, I'm digging the series. The concept is great and the "Avatar: The Last Airbender" magic system is hella cool. Magic has been done a million times over in a million different ways and yet they make it seem fresh and new to me.

Also, I would like to sa
Milica's Bookshelf
Solidno. Prava akcija počinje negde posle 90. stranice, te se ostatak priče čita u jednom dahu.
Amelie
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2,5 Sterne... oder so!?

Also ich weiß ehrlich nicht, wie ich das Buch bewerten soll. Es fällt mir einfach unglaublich schwer, weil ich die Geschichte eigentlich sehr gern gelesen habe, was einfach am Schreibstil der beiden Autorinnen liegt. Sie wissen halt, wie man die Leser fesselt und wie man Charaktere schafft, die greifbar sind und mit denen man mitfiebert. Außerdem... Mordo aka Havoc <3 LIEBE xD
Und den Konflikt, der durch den Twist am Ende des ersten Bandes entstanden ist, hat hier für in
Alexandra
Before reading:
I absolutely need this book in my possession. I am in love with this series! ;)
Update: Oh my! What a intriguing cover! It makes me wonder if this one is going to be dark! Dark and fanciful!

After reading: (may contain spoilers, you have been warned)

So let's start at the beginning. When I opened this book I was thrilled. I am in love with this middle-grade series. The Copper Gauntlet started off very dark. Callum had a very difficult situation he had to run away from (literally).
Ryan
Dec 26, 2014 marked it as to-read
FEB 3 - THE COVER WAS REVEALED YESTERDAY AND IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL *grabby hands*. I MUST HAVE IT NOW.

description
Juan G.B
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No me quejo de nada de este libro, en absoluto. Ni de su trama, ni de sus personajes.. Nada. Sólo del hecho de que quizás, para mí, al principio fue algo lento (aunque creo que pudo haber influido el formato en el que lo estaba leyendo, porque es primera vez que decido leer en digital y en mi teléfono).

Aún así, me sorprende cuánto me enganchó este libro de principio a fin, y cómo se fue tornando interesante cada vez más, y si bien no es un libro en el que pasen tantas cosas (me refiero a que est
C. Maria
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it

It was ok. I liked it, but it didn't surprised me in any way. There were no wow moments or something that kept me on the edge of my seat. I still liked it and I will continue with the series.

People say it gives some Harry Potter vibes and it does but I don't mind them, but all in all it's a great story as it is I still feel that sometimes it need some more action and moments that make your heart skip a beat, but I will see were the story leads and how things develop. The series it's st
Vitor Martins
Eu estava muito empolgado pra essa sequência mas achei ela bem inferior ao primeiro livro. Acho que o grande problema foi a falta de mágica.

Aqui nesse livro pouca coisa acontece dentro do Magisterium, e os protagonistas vão pra uma aventura fora da escola, numa caminhada longa r muito chata atrás de um objeto desaparecido. Parece essas coisas que Rick Riordan escreve sabe?

Continuo gostando dos personagens, vou ler os próximos livros com certeza, mas esse aqui me decepcionou um pouco.
Stella [Stellette Reads]
Ich schwanke zwischen 3,5 und 4 Sternen... Habe etwas mehr erwartet... Celia ist soo niedlich haha... Und das als Nebencharakter :)
ItsMedea
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5/5 ⭐
Beauty Mango
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hat mir besser gefallen als der erste Teil! Ich freue mich auf den nächsten!
Temi Panayotova
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Знам, че и други книги си чакаха реда, ама не се сдържах и почнах втората част от поредицата "Магистериум".

За пореден път се убедих, колко добре се сработват тандемът Холи Блек - Касандра Клер. И за пореден път ми взеха ума с тази част - с историята, с развитието на сюжета и мистерията около главните ни герои.
Justine

My kids loved this second installment, and I really enjoyed it too! Things definitely heated up and got more complicated. I love the friendship between Call, Tamara, and Aaron, and have a feeling that it is going to be heavily tested in the books to come.
Alison♊⚜️✨
Okay, compared to the first book, I can actually talk about my thoughts about this book a bit (but not not much so technically this can be regarded as a personal note more than a review)
Back to the book...
It started out kind of slow (for me) in my opinion and only the main, important events happened around 85/90% (with only a couple of events being interesting beforehand).
The ending was more cliffhanger-ish than the first book so I'm looking forward to reading the 3rd book (and seeing more of Ha
Daniela
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_2019, 5sterne
Spannend von der ersten bis zu letzten Seite.
Da es schon ein paar Monde her ist, dass ich den ersten Teil gelesen habe, hat es einen Moment gedauert, bis ich wieder in der Geschichte drin war, zumal es auch keinen Rückblick gab.
Dann aber ging es gut zur Sache, ich mochte es kaum weg legen, weil ich ständig wissen wollte, was als nächstes passieren wird.
Und nun bin ich gespannt, wie es weitergeht im 3. Band...
Becky_Schnecky
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So schnell habe ich selten Bücher beendet & genau das macht den zweiten Band der Magisterium Reihe aus.
Es ist so spannend, manchmal regten mich einige Charaktere auf, aber das gehört wohl einfach dazu.
Ich bin so gespannt, wie es weitergehen wird.
Leider muss ich noch einige Zeit warten, bis der dritte Band als Taschenbuch draussen ist.. :(
Aber umso mehr Grund zur VORFREUDE!

Aaron <3
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
The Magisterium series had drawn similarities to the Harry Potter series, a boarding school for magicians slash mages who are fighting against the evil of the world, but with enough differences to stand on it's own merits. Both The Iron Trial and The Copper Gauntlet are fantastic middle grade reads that explore a boarding school for teens known as the Magisterium, where children with magical abilities are chosen to hone their skills as mages, training for
Pinky
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am currently participating in Cram-a-Thon because it is the best excuse to read as much as possible. This is one of the short books that I planned on reading. And I am so glad that I read this book, it was really good.

“Fancy meeting you here”

This book is about a boy named Callum Hunt whose father always made him avoid magic. Anything to do with magic was something forbidden. When there was an Iron Trial that took place, many students were desperate to pass in order to get into the Magiste
Catherine Ford
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Well, that was a disappointment. In my review of the Iron Trial, I said that I hoped the second book would be better. Unfortunately it wasn't, it was actually worse, and that is seriously disappointing. This book was just one big illogical emotionless smushed together story. If this is meant to be the modern Harry Potter, it is failing.
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
There are still so many HP parallels, but I think the series is also taking on a more Percy Jackson feel because of the whole 'quest' thing.
Roberta Jayne
I must try to remember that this was a middle grade book. And I did try to remind myself this countless times while reading it but, you know what, I don't care what age group this book was written for. It's ridiculous and instead of spending time reading it, you should just go and re-read Harry Potter instead.

I can't even compare this series to Harry Potter any more because J K Rowling wrote in a much more sophisticated and adult way than Clare and Black do in The Copper Gauntlet. It's frustrat
Carrie
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Copper Gauntlet is the second book in the Magisterium series. We rejoin Call as he is on the summer break from the Magisterium where he had just completed his first year of study of magic known as the Iron year and is soon to return for his Copper year. Unfortunately Call's father seems to have some shady plans set for Call and doesn't want him to return forcing Call to run away.

The authors do a wonderful job of quickly catching the reader up with the story and what had happened in the prev
Danny
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
fun quick read, again hard to not make HP comparisons throughout the book.

I'd say this one was pretty on par with the first book. It didn't expand a lot of the world, or the magic system like I hoped it would have.
there was some nice character development in this world, and again great reveals at the end of the book.

Im definitely curious to see how the series will continue!
Grüffeline
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winselnd sackte Mordo auf den Boden, sichtlich enttäuscht von dem langen Gerede. Mordo war ein Wolf der Tat.

4,5 Sterne.
Cassandra Clare und Holly Black haben eine wunderbare Welt geschaffen und tolle Charaktere hineingesetzt, die den Leser durch eine faszinierende Geschichte begleiten. Und wie cool ist denn bitte ein Wolf als Haustier? Ich bin regelrecht neidisch und muss leider verkünden, dass eine Schneeeule auf Platz 2 der Liste der besten Haustiere ever verdrängt wurde, tut mir Leid Harry
fenrir
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Sinceramente era migliore il primo libro.
L'ho difeso strenuamente l'ultima volta dicendo che Magisterium non era una copia di Harry Potter, se non altro perché la scuola di magia in questi libri non è pervenuta. Si, loro ci studiano ma a parte questo avete visto qualcosa che ricordi anche solo vagamente la magia e l'atmosfera di Hogwarts? io no, proprio non ci siamo. Ma devo rimangiarmelo, un sacco di cose copiate da Harry Potter qui ci sono.
E' inutile dire che non è stata JK Rowling ad inventar
Rebekah
I think this one narrowly missed the infamous second-book-slump. It lacks that wonderful twist from the first book, of course. It also feels like the story arc too closely mirrors that of the first book (and also Harry Potter). In essence, something happens at home, they go to school for a while, and then something bigger happens when they should be in school and then it is the end.

But like I said, it narrowly missed that dreaded slump. Callum wrestles with the concepts of good and evil, and ind
Lena
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Der zweite Teil war besser als der erste, wie ich es auch schon in vielen anderen Rezensionen gelesen habe.
Mich reißt die Reihe immer noch nicht vom Hocker, aber vom ersten zum zweiten Buch gab es eine eindeutige Steigerung.
Mir hat die Entwicklung einiger Charakter hat mir sehr gut gefallen. Es gab Wendungen, die man nicht genau vorhersehen konnte und das Buch endete mit einem Cliffhanger. Das alles hat mir gefallen und so werde ich die Reihe fortsetze!
Addicted to YA: The Copper Gauntlet 9 59 Feb 25, 2019 09:38AM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Book Cover 4 18 Jan 02, 2019 10:26AM
Magisterium: NO (major) SPOILERS TCG discussion 44 32 Nov 05, 2018 09:59AM
Addicted to YA: Discussion Leader Sign Up: The Copper Gauntlet 1 39 Nov 02, 2018 06:54AM

• Other Worlds
  • Untitled (The Wicked Powers, #3)
  • Amulet Keepers (TombQuest, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Shadow's Curse (The Knots Sequence, #2)
  • Mylingen (Pax, #3)
  • Fork-Tongue Charmers (The Luck Uglies, #2)
  • The Mystery  (Troubletwisters, #3)
  • Jinx's Fire (Jinx #3)
  • Ведьма-хранительница (Белорийский цикл о ведьме Вольхе, #2)
  • The Inquisitor's Mark (Eighth Day, #2)
  • Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes, # 3)
  • Rise of the Wolf (Mark of the Thief, #2)
Holly Black is the author of bestselling contemporary fantasy books for kids and teens. Some of her titles include The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), The Modern Faerie Tale series, the Curse Workers series, Doll Bones, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, the Magisterium series (with Cassandra Clare), The Darkest Part of the Forest, and her new series which begins with The Cruel Prince in ...more

Magisterium (5 books)
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium, #1)
  • The Bronze Key (Magisterium,  #3)
  • The Silver Mask (Magisterium #4)
  • The Golden Tower (Magisterium, #5)
“I don’t know,” Call said. He was starting to worry that there weren’t any good guys. Just people with longer or shorter Evil Overlord lists.” 35 likes
“Don’t kill her! Only maim her a little!” 25 likes