Start by marking “The Energy Scavengers” as Want to Read:
The Energy Scavengers

The Energy Scavengers

(The Energy Scavengers #1)

When mankind reaches far out into the universe to find other life forms it may first find machines. A string of planets on the outer edges of the Milky Way contain the mechanical workers of an ancient alien civilization. Calvin, an exploratory rover coupled with, Nutshell, his landing ship, are sent to discover what all these machines are still doing–now that they’ve been ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by RSO Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Energy Scavengers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Energy Scavengers

Start your review of The Energy Scavengers
Addy
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a good slice of science fiction pie. I'm new to this genre and i thought this little story was awesome! I've become fascinated with AI and robot novels and this one was exceptional. The lingo was not confusing and the plot was easy to follow. The thing that really caught my attention was the humaness given to the robots. For example, the fact that Calvin is looking for purpose and the other robots who are waiting for their messiah. I will definitely check out more from this author!
Lisa Hall
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was described as speculative fiction. I would label it good science fiction, really good. Easy to read, organized, well written novella from the perspective of computerized AI machines sent to gather data and mine in space. The speculative label could be due to the anthropomorphism, I'm not an expert on where the boundaries lay between the two. These little machines exhibit quite human motivations, especially the ones left behind by the alien race that first mined this particular planet fir ...more
Randy
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An interesting little short piece of science fiction.

The robot had come to the abandoned mining planet in search of information, sent there by the humans that had built him. He was looking for personal computers left by the race that had mined the planet. Others like it were all over, abandoned but for the machines, some still functioning. No PCs had ever been found.

Calvin, the AI's informal name, crashed on the planet, victim of space junk, the lander heavily damaged, it's own AI incapable of r
Sadie Forsythe
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Yep, this totally struck me as a robotic version of Mad Maxx. I quite enjoyed it though. Despite their lack of humanity I found the characters relatable and well rounded for such a short piece. The story was also well developed, with very little extra to clutter it up. The reader was given the information they needed, with enough description to make everything easily imaginable, but not so much detail as to be distracting. Well worth reading.
Richard
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
This short novel about a survey robot that lands on a planet occupied only by other robots presents an interesting comparison between robot behavior and human behavior. There are few editing errors, and the writing is of fairly high quality. The ending, however, is abrupt, and leaves one wondering. The references to computer technologies are somewhat dated.
Kaelin O
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This is a good story that O'Reilly's writing is very solid, with good pacing and description. I am not a big reader of sci-fi but there are elements of this story that are relatable to anyone. O'Reilly's ability to give robots human-like emotions and make them sympathetic characters impresses me. I look forward to reading his future work!
Douglas Bittinger
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a clever, well written short story. Sort of Wall-E meets Thunderdome. An enjoyable read.
Jeanine
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't normally read sci-fi, but decided to read this free ebook. It's excellent.
David Wilkinson
Jun 11, 2014
Samy Lyons
Jun 07, 2013
Ryan Sean O'Reilly
Jul 08, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
Mark Lucas-Taylor
Brian
Dec 08, 2013
Jim Rauch
Jan 08, 2014
Barnes & Noble Nook: The Energy Scavengers - FREE for NOOK 4 38 Nov 02, 2012 05:05PM
SciFi and Fantasy...: The Energy Scavengers - FREE on Smashwords 1 8 Aug 25, 2012 02:26PM
I took to books at an early age and can still remember my father reading J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit to me at bedtime. When I could read on my own, my mother brought home books from the library for my siblings and me. She tells me, that I would look at the covers and say “not interested”, but if she left them on my night stand I couldn’t help, but devour them—the genres and titles didn’t seem to m ...more

The Energy Scavengers (2 books)
  • The One Who Turned Them On (The Energy Scavengers #2)