Start by marking “The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5)

The Governess Affair

(Brothers Sinister 0.5)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  12,921 ratings  ·  1,424 reviews
She will not give up…

Three months ago, governess Serena Barton was let go from her position. Unable to find new work, she’s demanding compensation from the man who got her sacked: a petty, selfish, swinish duke. But it’s not the duke she fears. It’s his merciless man of business—the man known as the Wolf of Clermont. The formidable former pugilist has a black reputation fo
Published April 21st 2012 by Courtney Milan

To ask other readers questions about The Governess Affair, please sign up.

·  12,921 ratings  ·  1,424 reviews

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession

photo okyhyu_zps03gnaxir.gif

***Spoilers***

Wow okay this story was different. The heroine Serena was raped by the hero's(Hugo) boss the Duke of Clermont. She was pregnant from said rape and Hugo marries her behind the boss's back to keep her child from being labeled a bastard. He plans it to be a married in name only to help her but they make love, which was really sweet, and they fall in love. I have to say I liked that this story was a little different as it started out with something horrid like rape(not that y
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Courtney Milan has become one of my favorite historical romance authors and books like this, The Governess Affair, is why. This introduction to the Brothers Sinister series is a charming, beautiful tale that I simply couldn't put down. And surprisingly, while this is a novella, a short read, it lacks nothing. A powerful story, romance, passion... yes, this book has it all - including one of the sexiest, sweetest bedroom scenes ever!

I fell hard for both Serena and Hugo... their secrets, their tor
Shannon
ETA on 4-24: Free on Amazon! Grab it!

Historical romance isn't my least liked genre though it's nowhere near my favorite, but every now and then I feel the need to read something that isn't YA or fantasy and I branch out into the world of corsets, cravats, and carriages. I generally don't enjoy the time I spend there, and I often find myself at odds with fans of the genre, but thankfully this short story has high ratings because it's a tale that people who don't automatically love the genre can s
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Before you ask, I can tell you that NO, the Fluffy Siberian Bunnies (FSB™) have NOT hacked my account. This is really me non-reviewing this POC™. In my defense, I have to say that:

1/Liz forced me to do this.
2/This is the MacHalos' fault. Were it not for the bloody shrimping TBR Cleaning Challenge, I wouldn't have to get rid of all the crap stuff that's been sitting on my Kindle for centuries.
3/Being stuck on a ferry for 8+ hours has the strangest effect on one's sanity.
4/I'm innocent.

Were I my y
♡Karlyn P♡
Loved it!!! Just when I thought I was getting burned out (ney, sick and tired!) of Euro/Regency historical romances, I pick up this Courtney Milan novella and realize my problem might have been something else. I was just bored. But Courtney Milan infuses such flavor into her writing I couldn't stop devouring it. which is simply refreshing among the glut of today's bland and formulaic offerings. I honestly haven't been this excited to read a Euro/Regency era historical in many months now, and I c ...more
Navessa
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

DNF @ 50%. I really expected to like this one. I enjoyed The Heiress Effect. But then, part of the reason that I enjoyed it was because none of the characters were fucking idiots.

So the premise of this book is a ruined governess seeking recompense from the man that ruined her, who happens to be a duke. He sends his man of business to handle it because he has better things to do. The first thing his servant does is ask what the female lead wants. The next five conversations that they have go som
Jill

Hugo Marshall is determined and ambitious. As a former boxer Hugo has squared off against any number of opponents and won. But Hugo has met his match. Serena Barton is tenacious and optimistic. She'll fight until she gets what she's owed.

The Governess Affair is a novella and prequel to Courtney Milan's new series, Brothers Sinister. Set in 1835 a generation before the characters in the main series, this is an introduction to what looks like another impressive series from this talented author.

St
Mo
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.75 stars.

I quite enjoyed this short read. First time reading this author but I will be checking out other books by her.

I liked both characters. She was strong and would not back down for anything!!

As you know, if I don't do a review straight away, they are usually short. Thank fuck, I hear some of you say!!!

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

THE GOVERNESS AFFAIR is the fourth Courtney Milan book that I have plowed through this month. I regret nothing about this experiment, except for the fact that I have gone through all the books of hers that I already owned, so any further binges must be put on hold until I am able to obtain more books. Booooo.

GOVERNESS AFFAIR is the direct prequel to THE DUCHESS WAR. I think it could be read as a standalone, but reading it was also interesti
Baba
"You could make me say it again," he whispered. "Make me say it always. Make me say it so often that you never have cause to doubt. I love you."

Oh yes, again, I love it when a story turns from pretty good to amazingly good! 3 stars for the first half and 5 stars for the second half of the story.

"A perfect sunrise--seen once, remembered always. Never duplicated."

This was a first for me but certainly not my last read by Courtney Milan. I really loved the second half of the story. In hindsight I th
Karla

5...I told you so Karla...Stars!!

Safe. Yes Serena, Hugo Marshall is...Safe, and the most honorable of men. One of the softest, sweetest stories, I've ever read! Never were two people more meant to be together.

I'm doing the Yippee Skippee and I can't stop smiling!
Photobucket

Thanks for the push Jill and Dhes, it was so worth dropping everything!

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies by: Navessa
I blame myself. My disappointment with this book is partially my fault. I just set the bar too high. I built up my own hype. I gave myself unrealistic standards for this book.

I've resisted reading this novella since it was released, despite reading all the glowing reviews on it. I thought for sure it would be good, and that I would love it if I ever gained the courage to read it. Why? Because of the premise. The rape, the defilement of an innocent governess? Her strength in standing up for herse
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romance readers
Recommended to Anna (Bobs Her Hair) by: Jill's review
Grade: A+ or 5 brightly shining stars

Beautiful, poignant, and skillfully written novella! I absolutely loved it!

***updated to add full review****

The Story
Serena Barton is a ruined woman. Her dismissal as a governess position leads her to demand compensation from the Duke of Clermont. Serena will not leave empty-handed. She is prepared to fight for there is much at stake. She’s aware the duke employs an unmerciful man of business, yet she bravely resolves never to be weak again.

Hugo Marshall has
Christina ~ Brunette Reader
3,5 Stars

Setting the stage for the following series about the next Victorian generation, Courtney Milan gives us a solid novella about two common people whose lives have been anything but common and who soon and poignantly recognise each other's hard-won inner strength, finding both healing from past hurts and hope for a brighter future in their love.

Hugo Marshall, a coal miner's son and an ex-pugilist, is now the Duke of Clermont's unscrupulous right-hand, the final step in a steady social a
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
Maybe this edition was expanded as it is showing on Goodreads as 154 pages whereas the editions with this cover The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5) by Courtney Milan are showing as 101 pages. Believe me, this one felt longer than a novella! I think Ms Milan may have expanded this slight story beyond what it could bear.

I really liked the original idea. I liked the opening scenes. I could overlook anachronisms such as duke wearing a coat with gold thread - in 1835.

But too many things were improbable, too many scenes were repetitive and this book w
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

BR with the awesome Kat and Nenia

So, The Governess Affair...

♬ ♪ Congratulations! ♬ ♪ You successfully entered my I don't care territory : no chemistry, not to mention that the rape issue isn't well-handled in my opinion. To be frank, the characters' behavior is incomprehensible to me. I. DON'T. GET. THEM. Add a complete and utter boredom, and what do you get? Certainly not a good romance.
Bubu
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ocd, hr, 4-stars, read-2017

Despite my best intentions to start Nalini Singh's series, I simply didn't have the mindset and instead went for another novella whilst I'm still away from home.

Finally! Finally! Finally! After a very long time; after many of my GR friends telling me to read The Governess Affair already; and after reading two or three duds in a row, I went ahead and pulled this little beauty out of the depths of my Kindle and read it in one go. Not that it was a big thing (it's a novella after all), but
Susanne
description

"Are you flexing your muscles for me?" she asked.
"That", he said smoothly, "would be vanity".

What a romantic, inspiring, heartbreaking, heartwarming, wonderful, amazing tale.

"If you fell out of a tree as a child, I'd clean you up and bandage your knees, and next I looked you'd be out climbing again. You never learned your lesson."
Oh, she'd learned her lesson: Climb harder.
Somehow, Serena didn't think that was the lesson Freddy had expected her to learn.

I have a soft spot for rape-recovery tales
Alba Turunen
3'5 Estrellas. Me ha gustado mucho, la lástima es que al ser un relato corto no profundiza demasiado en la historia, y siempre te quedas con ganas de saber algo más. Algo más de los personajes, de lo que les llevó a ser quienes son actualmente.

Sin duda el personaje que más me ha gustado es Hugo Marshall, éste ex-boxeador no tiene nada de rudo o duro, es un oso amoroso, con todas las letras. Trata a Serena con una paciencia, una amabilidad y una ternura que nada tienen que ver con el sobrenombre
Karen
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 STARS!!!!!
[image error]  photo fdkj.jpg

He didn't want to talk. He didn't want to answer any questions. He didn't know who he was or what he wanted or what dreams would come to fill his heart. He only knew that if he couldn't have her, nothing would ever be right again. And so he kissed her. He tasted her, sweet and steady against him, put his hand in the small of her back and drew her toward him.

[image error]  photo tumblr_mg68ihOJDo1rlurexo1_400.png

OH BOY!!!! I've got a new author!!! What a wonderful little gem this is. It's just a short novella
Ally
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love this book

Setting / Time / Genre: Regency, I think.

Length: 201 pages.

Series: Yeppers and I am reading em all! This is the fist. An introductory novel if you will.

Sexy times: One or two scenes. All well done. There's a scene with hair pins. Just trust me on this. Hashtag worthit.

Plan on reading more by the author Hell to the yeas, my friends.

Synopsis in one sentence or slightly more: Hmmm, there's this governess, and this man of business and a sh!thead of a Duke, and an issue
Mimi Smith
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mimi by: InD'tale Magazine
5 stars

Loved, loved, LOVED it. It's so hard to write a great, believable novella. It's too short, there's no time for the characters to feel real, or the relationships... But here, boy...

We have:

1. Serena Barton, a former governess, girl with big dreams and a grudge against the Duke of Clemont.
2. The Duke of Clement, a rather simple and shallow gentleman with little self-control, morals and a money problem, which led to his spouse problem.
3. Hugo Marshall, the Wolf of Clemont, a boy who has plan
Ginger
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
A great start to the Brothers Sinister series!
This is a novella of how Selena and Hugo meet and fall in love. They are the parents of Oliver (book #2) and Free (book #4).

I loved Selena and I've enjoyed how Milan writes her female leads in all the books that I've read.
They are usually smart, independent and courageous. If you're going to read historical romance, you might as well read about female characters you admire and male characters that fall in love with those qualities. They are not insec
Caz
Okay, so this is where the fact that Goodreads treats audiobooks as just another edition of a book is problematical, because I've already read and reviewed the ebook and can't create a separate review for the audio. So, instead, I've added it to the review of the book, so apologies to those of you who are seeing this on your feeds for the third or fourth time!

Anyway. This most definitely the review of the audiobook version which has appeared at Audiogals today.

Also - my original rating for the b
Ingie
Written March 22, 2013

A little shiny genuine gem pearl, 4 1/2 Stars.

Book #0.5

A wonderful story, I loved it. Two nice a bit special characters, not the richest, no one is noble, not the prettiest or the most handsome, not the most innocent, not the nicest BUT with two really, really smart and cunning brains. I got mad (stupid and mean men), got hurt in the heart (... just choose her!), I smiled (over and over), laughed (the letters), and am very pleased at last.

A really good reading as so often
KatLynne
August, 2013 - Re-read

A perfect Novella to begin her new Brothers Sinister Series.

I always enjoy Milan's writing style and this short story doesn't disappoint. CM gives a strong sexy hero that I came to love along with a heroine who is persistent and smart. The banter between Hugo Marshall, aka Wolf of Clermont, and Serena Barton kept me invested and wanting more.

This author's talent shines through in this delightful read. There is a scene involving hair pins that I particularly liked. Who wou
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather K (dentist in my spare time) by: Jill

*3.5 stars*

Lovely start to a new series. Narrator was good in the audio, and I immediately bought the next two in the series the moment I finished.
Riley
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was so GOOD
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4 Stars***

This was my first Courtney Milan book, but it certainly won't be my last!

Whoo boy was she able to pack a punch in a short number of pages.

The banter between Serena and Hugo was top knotch...and the building flirtation and chemistry had my fingers tingling.

"You understand perfectly well what is happening. We're attracted to one another, and it's inconvenient."

She sucked in a breath.

"Don't act so surprised."

"I wasn't acting surprised. But you're trying to unsettle me again, and I
Kathleen
4.75 stars for this wonderful little story. It's short but quite meaty -- Milan gets the job done. I just wanted it to be longer, so Hugo and Serena could have more lovin' time together. But sometimes a short read is perfect, and many long books get bogged down with repetition and endless rumination. No so in this case!

Courtney Milan just keeps getting better. In her first books, her characters seemed a bit too ... cerebral and almost unemotional, even though the plot was always well orchestrate
And this is where we say things and stuff. 17 38 Jul 08, 2017 08:56PM

• The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • Sweet Disorder (Lively St. Lemeston Book 1)
  • A Mackenzie Family Christmas: The Perfect Gift (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4.5)
  • Tempting the Bride (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #3)
  • Confessions from an Arranged Marriage (The Burgundy Club, #4)
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • The Ice Princess (Princes Trilogy, #3.5)
Courtney Milan’s books have received starred reviews in Publishers Weekly and Booklist. She is a New York Times and a USA Today Bestseller and a RITA® winner.

Courtney lives in the Rocky Mountains with her husband, an exceptionally perfect dog, and an attack cat.

Before she started writing historical romance, Courtney got a graduate degree in theoretical physical chemistry from UC Berkeley. After th

Brothers Sinister (4 books)
  • The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister, #1)
  • The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)
  • The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3)
  • The Suffragette Scandal (Brothers Sinister, #4)
“I will not be browbeaten, however nicely you do it. I am done with things happening to me. From here on out, I am going to happen to things.” 43 likes
“Never hit a man with a closed fist," he told her. He could feel her pulse.

"Why? Because it gives you an excuse to manhandle me?"

He let go. "Slap his face instead."

"Ha."

"It will make him take you less seriously, and then he won't be expecting it when you knee him in the groin.”
19 likes