Start by marking “Black Jack Justice” as Want to Read:
Black Jack Justice

Black Jack Justice

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
"I did not move. I am not skittish by nature, but I know the sound of a hammer being cocked when I hear it. This one was a large calibre automatic, which meant it wasn't a cop. I turned my head as slowly and non-threateningly as I could. It was my friend with the square jaw, and his friend the .45. "Hi," he said."
It was a simple enough case, but don't they always start o
Published April 4th 2012 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Black Jack Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Jack Justice

Wilson
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It's an excellent hard-boiled detective novel in the tradition of Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler, but with some added tweaks, like the hard-boiled (and self-styled) 'girl detective'.

For anyone already familiar with the Black Jack Justice radio dramas from Decoder Ring Theatre, this book provides the delightful - but plenty gritty - back story of how the partnership came to be.

For those who haven't heard them yet, this book will be a wonderful introduction to th
Michael
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, nook, mystery, pulp
I couldn't put it down. Gregg Taylor's writing is fast-paced, witty, fun and exciting. This is the story of the first meeting between Jack Justice, hard-boiled private eye and Trixie Dixon, Girl Detective. If you're a fan of the audio drama, this is a must read. If you're not, this is still a fun and exciting 1940s detective story.

The "Taylorian Banter" is rapid-fire and witty as our his-and-hers detective begin on opposite ends of a blackmail/divorce case that spirals into a murder investigati
Jill
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
As always, Gregg Taylor delivers a fast-paced story with mystery, intrigue and snappy dialogue. It's clear that he understands his characters and what makes them tick. I highly recommend anything and everything that Taylor writes!
Julie Davis
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this hard boiled detective story when it came out in print. As a longtime fan of Decoder Ring Theater's Black Jack Justice series, I could hear the voices of the main actors as I read. It was lively, humorous, and had all the banter one expects from a Chandler-esque novel.

Now they've done it one better and brought the book out in audio format on their podcast, a chapter every week. So you can actually hear the voices of the actors as they read the book. Perfect!
Asher
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you're not a fan of Black Jack Justice on http://www.decoderringtheatre.com/ then treat this as a great detective story.

If you are a fan then it's an excellent bit of the back story that let's you know how a swell dame like Trixie got stuck with old Square Jaw.
Jo
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As good as his radio play! Loved it.
Andrew Roach
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Funny, emotional, well executed.

Black Jack Justice manages to evoke the spirit of the hardboiled detective, with a touch more genre savvy and just a hint of post-modern meta-awareness.

I listened to the audiobook (free from the Decoder Ring Theatre podcast) and was enamored with the performances and the characterization.

The alternating perspectives, between Jack Justice and his frenemy Trixie Dixon (girl detective), makes for a fun, and breakneck ride.
Ryan
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
This is a prequel to Taylor's Black Jack Justice podcast series - and like most prequels, it's a bad starting point for the characters involved, but a fantastic study of the core nature of the characters if you're already invested in them. If you're one of those "already invested" people (and I am), then this is just gangbusters - all of the hardboiled drama and comedic banter of the series, an interesting enough mystery at the core, and two fun narrators in the characters of Jack and Trixie.
Mads Kamp
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I listened to the free podcast 30-episode version. I might have to go back and binged-listen to get the full experience of this novelisation of the very good audiodrama. Plus, the music-backtrack got kinda annoying. But all in all it's a really good origin story for the series.
Shawn
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Pulp noir. I enjoyed this in the audio format from the author which was a mix of the two protagonists - somewhere between an audio book and the radio drama that I've come to wait on each release!
Colin Parfitt
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
The plot is very weak, but this is more than compensated for by the brilliant snappy dialogue.
Joel Neff
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
As a long-time fan of the Black Jack Justice 'radio' show, I was excited to see that Gregg Taylor had written a novel featuring the titular characters of Jack Justice and Trixie Dixon, Girl Detective. I anticipated a good story with all the snappy dialogue, 40s slang, and gunplay that I am used to getting from the podcast. Taylor delivered and then some.

The novel tells the story of When Black Jack met Trixie; this is the tale of the first case that Jack and Trixie worked on together and how they
Donald Harwick
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
It appears this book was written as the prequel to "Black Jack Justice" the audio podcast "dramedy". It was an excellant, fast read, that felt a little "Wolfian" at the end. Mr. Taylor explains how Black Jack and "Trixie Dixon, girl detective," come to join forces. It was in a way that I did not presume, however looking back, it was the only way that would fit the character of their relationship. During the story, both Black Jack and Trixie kept up their usual banter, and Lt. Sabien was presente ...more
Siobhan
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great Black Jack Justice story that won't disappoint old fans--but old fans probably already know how much they love all the hard bitten banter and the witty writing and tight plotting Gregg Taylor gives us. I also highly recommend this book to innocent newcomers. If you enjoy noire, it's fabulous, with all the salacious yet somehow family-friendly detail, escalating conflict, and biting repartee you could wish for, completely faithful in tone to the tomes of yesteryear than inspire the work. ...more
Scbickle
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent read. Its set in a post WWII america where Jack Justice is just about making a living as a private detective following the loss of his partner in the agency. Meanwhile Trixy Dickson 'Girl Detective' is working on a bit potential divorce evidence photography. When the two collide on either side of the same case it all turns out a more dangerous and political than either expected.

This is a proper noire crime thriller.

This essential reading for any fan of the Decoder Ring Thea
Alex
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
As a fan of the podcast I found this to be really disappointing, I am not saying there weren't parts I enjoyed just that on the whole it lacked the charm and charisma I associate with Black Jack justice.
The plot was uninteresting and felt stale in places and a few times how Jack and Trixie acting out of character.
The Red Panda novels added some details to much loved characters, this more striped them away leaving something that felt two dimensional. I can't help but think this book was written t
Graeme Dunlop
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jack Justice and Trixie Dixon appear frequently on Decoder Ring Theatre in the "Black Jack Justice" podcast/radio plays. I've listened to every one -- in fact, they're my favourite DRT feature -- so picking up this book was a no-brainer.

And it doesn't disappoint! It's a great story in which Jack and Trixie meet for the first time -- on opposite sides of the same case -- and that, of course, turns into a whole lot of trouble, strife and mayhem. Consistently good all the way through, it features t
Amanda
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Too short, but also hard to put down. Which I guess my job probably appreciates.

My standard book tests:

Could everything be solved by the main characters sitting down and talking at the beginning? - Nope! The first half might have been shorter if Jack and Trixie had traded information right away, but it wouldn't have solved everything.

Does the main character make mistakes? Ahahaha. Yes. Both Jack and Trixie make a mess of things. Sure, they're right more often than not, but not always.
Pete
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
This novel is a hard-boiled companion piece to the audio drama podcast of the same name. It's also an origin story of sorts, showing how Black Jack Justice and Trixie Dixon, Girl Detective partnered up in the first place. Everything you want from a noir tale is here. (This is, however, a little darker than the podcast. There's a lot more dead bodies in this book than there are in the average season of the show.)
Matt Bowerman
May 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Film Noir
Recommended to Matt by: Greg Taylor
A really fun book telling the story of how Black Jack Justice and Trixie Dixon met. Greg Taylor does an excellent job of translating the radio series to book form. And handles the point of views in a clever way. Reading this book could make you a fan of Decoder Ring Theater, which is not a bad thing at all.
Yt Maverick
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Meets Miss Dixon. "Trixie, please"

I've been listening to the podio-plays for about a decade. This reads so much like 'em. It is not possible for me to review this as a written work. I'm certain that fans of the podio-plays will enjoy it
Brian
Jul 10, 2012 added it
What a great origin story! Based on the wonderful Decoder Ring Podcasts, this is how Jack and Trixie meet! Well written, and I highly recommend the podcasts..look for Black Jack Justice, and The Red Panda. You won't be sorry!
Alvin
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good quick read. It's nice to have the back story to the two main characters, who I've listened to on Decoder Ring Theatre's Black Jack Justice series. Highly recommended if you listen to the podcast. Even if you haven't listened to the podcast, this is a really good place to start.
Clay Esq
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Loved this book.

A long time fan of the radio drama I really enjoyed reading all about the first time Trixy and Jack tried to shoot each other.
Bcoghill Coghill
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I dearly love the radio/podcast Black Jack Justice and for that reason enjoyed this. Would I have enjoyed it so much without that background, I think not.
Irene
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the read looking forward to many more in the series.
Mike Malony
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you like the radio play / web series, you'll hear the text in the familiar voices. This story is the first meeting between Jack and Trixie. It's a hoot!
Evan Kennedy
Jul 30, 2017
Canus
Feb 28, 2016
Phil Ryan
Jul 31, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

“Okay,” I said, “so what does all that have to do with his dead mistress, her dead ex-boyfriend with the dirty pictures or the entire Rossetti crime family?” Trixie shrugged. “I dunno, let’s go ask him.” “Ask who?” I said, a little lost. “Roger Mayfield,” she said simply. “Isn’t that what I wanted to do at nine o’clock in the morning?” I asked, annoyed. “Nine thirty-seven,” she reminded. “And there’s a difference.” “Which is?” I asked. “When you wanted to do it, it was a stupid idea,” she said with a smile.” 1 likes
“His train of thought was boarding at the station, and he seemed to be unable to find the word that would start him down the track.” 0 likes