Start by marking “Angriff aus der Tiefe (Mission Clockwork, #2)” as Want to Read:
Angriff aus der Tiefe (Mission Clockwork, #2)

Angriff aus der Tiefe (The Hunchback Assignments #2)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  904 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
Wer manipuliert wen?
Ein toter Agent in New York. Schiffe, die vor Island spurlos verschwinden. Ein Feind, der unsichtbar ist. Modo und Octavia, getarnt als junges Ehepaar, beginnen zu recherchieren. Doch ihr Schiff wird gerammt und Modo gerät in Gefangenschaft auf der "Ictíneo", einem riesigen Unterwasserseeboot. Welche Pläne verfolgt die Kapitänin Monturiol? Welche Rolle
Published February 21st 2012 by Thienemann (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Angriff aus der Tiefe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angriff aus der Tiefe

Stephanie
"The Dark Deeps" is the second in the Hunchback Assignments series. This one has Modo, the hunchback, and Octavia, a fellow agent in the Permanent Association, setting off to NYC posing as a young married couple. They are assigned to look in on a fellow agent who was due to check in but failed to do so. What they find leads them to a set of coordinates off the coast of Iceland. A "sea monster" has been sinking ship in the area and Mr. Socrates orders them to investigate.

This was lots of fun! I l
An Odd1
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"The Dark Deeps" (Hunchback A. 2) by Arthur Slade is scary steampunk. Brief precisely titled chapters shift viewpoints clearly, without confusion. Some, as the prologue with experimental "Yellow Boy" Griff, link, as to evil Dr. Hyde and icy lovely metal-hand red-haired Hakkandottir, and reappear with invisible coughs. Premonition hints, such as ch4 "On the last day of his life" sprinkle lightly, not too much.
Ugly masked chameleon Modo, now 14, and distracting vision Octavia Milkweed, now 15, lo
Crowinator
Morgan Oats
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this second installment of The Hunchback Assignments we find ourselves away from London as Modo and Octavia are sent to New York to investigate the dissappearance of another British spy and the rumors of a fish as large as a ship... Or is it a fish at all? This newest addition to the series includes underwater civilizations, jealousy, invisible men, the French, the Clockwork Guild, and plenty of suspense.

I personally am a huge fan of Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next in the series. I'm a fan of the author's and I read every new book he publishes.

Modo and Octavia's assignment is to investigate certain co-ordinates where something referred to as big fish has been sinking fishing boats and any ships that enter that water near Iceland. Modo and Octavia are separated and 'tavia does not play a large role in this story. Instead Modo finds himself kidnapped along with a French spy who has been working the same case for her government. Modo
Sensitivemuse
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***Possible spoilers***

I enjoyed the first book, and I enjoyed this one even better. This one rather focuses more on Modo and Colette (another spy but for the French) aboard a submarine. The addition of Griff into the story- who makes a perfect creepy villain, also made the book a great read.

What I enjoyed the most out of the story is the underwater city. I absolutely loved that part! the descriptions, the overall feel to it was so rich in description and was easily pictured. It was like reading
Jenny
May 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another adventure with Modo and Octavia. This time they set out to see to investigate a possible sea monster causing havoc in the northern Atlantic. The ship they are on gets rammed and Modo is tossed into the frigid waters. He gets rescued by the crew of the Ictineo, a submarine patrolling in the area and learns the real reason they are marking their territory in this part of the ocean.

As in the first book Modo’s still very conscious about his real face and not willing to show others even Octav
Peg
Fourteen-year-old Modo is a disfigured, shape-shifting spy for England’s Permanent Association. In this second steampunk adventure of “The Hunchback Assignments,” Mr. Socrates sends him and slightly older Octavia to New York to track down a missing British agent as well as French spy Colette Brunet. Information garnered sends the pair to the seas near Iceland as they try to identify the sea monster mysteriously attacking ships there. When the “monster” rams their ship, Modo falls overboard and r ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Theresa L. Stowell for TeensReadToo.com

In the first book of THE HUNCHBACK ASSIGNMENTS, Modo becomes a spy for his guardian, Mr. Socrates. During his premier assignment, he meets and becomes infatuated with Octavia Milkweed, a girl close to his age. In this second book, Slade channels Jules Verne as he introduces young readers to the world of steampunk adventures.

Now, despite their youth, Modo will be asked to pose as Octavia's husband. Though it seems like a dream come true, Modo wil
Stephen Winterflood
The hunchback assignment is pitched as a Steampunk story but I like to think of tales like this as Victorian Fantasy, as they echo the likes of Verne and Wells, and don’t really present us with much in the punk area - counter culture, underbelly of society.

You can enjoy this book without having read the first volume, as the author quickly introduces the characters and previous events without bogging the story down in pages of previous events. We are quickly made to feel at home in this world.

Wit
Rena  Traxel
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dark Deeps is book two in Arthur Slade's steampunk series. In book one we were taken through and under the streets of London. In book two we are taken to the deep depths of the ocean in which Modo (a disfigured, hunchback assassin) will face his hardest battle yet, and perhaps even find a new love interest?

What I liked about this book

1. Arthur didn’t spend too much time rehashing book one. He gave just enough details from book one to refresh the reader's mind.
2. His choice of setting. The m
Christina
Cracking good sequel to The Hunchback Assignments, although it had a different tone--not as dark and creepy as the first. In this adventure, our hunchback shapeshifting secret agent, Modo, is sent to New York City with his friend and fellow agent (and secret crush) Octavia, where they must go undercover as husband and wife while they investigate another agent of the Permanent Association who's gone missing. There's lots of humor and suspense as Modo has to keep his shapeshifting ability secret f ...more
Rachel
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book of the series finds Modo and Octavia posing as husband and wife and heading to New York in search of a missing fellow British agent. Once they arrive, they find out that he is dead but can't figure out by whom, and then there is the mysterious note with the words "Big Fish" and a location. What is this Big Fish? Is it part of the Clockwork Guild or something else? What is the organization's master plan?

*Spoilers*

Overall I enjoyed the book and especially learning about Icaria, an
Karen
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Modo and Octavia are sent to America to spy, but they never reach the shores as their ship is hit by an unknown object. Octavia is saved by the seaman and tries to get another captain to go out and search for Modo. None of the captains will to into the waters where the ship was attacked as they are afraid or loosing their own ship.
Little does Octavia know that Modo wasn't drowned but was taken aboard a submarine that has claimed that area of water for their own country. Modo meets a French agent
Krys

Last year I fell in love with The Hunchback Assignments. It was my favourite book of the year.

I received my ARC of the sequel, The Dark Deeps, yesterday at work. I, literally, devoured it overnight. It was that good.

Picking up shortly after the events of Hunchback Modo and Octavia are given an assignment - to find half-French, half-Japanese spy Colette Chiyoko Brunet. To find her Octavia and Modo must pose as husband and wife and infiltrate the last known location of Colette - code name Ictineo.
Cindy
Mod and Octavia's adventures continue on. Now that they know of one another their next assignment has them sailing to America as a Married couple. Modo is not sure what to think of this as he does not want Tavia to see his true face. They are sent to the America's to find someone and obtain information from them. When they get to America they discover that their contact has been murdered. We also meet an new character that has some unseen talents of his own. Once again, Modo and Octaivia find th ...more
Deborah
Dec 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Modo's next assignment is to go undercover in America to find out what happened to a missing agent - with his beloved Octavia posing as his wife. Modo is nervous that Octavia will find out what he really looks like. Meanwhile, young French super agent Colette is scouting out reports of a sea monster in the ocean around Iceland. The "sea monster" capsizes her ship and she finds that the sea monster is actually a submarine. Events bring Modo and Colette together. And of course the Clockwork Guild ...more
Jackie
An entertaining reimagining of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I haven't read the first book in the series yet, but I was able to jump right in. The book gets a little busy at times, jumping between too many viewpoints, but the action is entertaining and it's fun to spot the literary characters who show up. As a big Jules Verne fan, I liked seeing a female Captain Nemo analogue; I was disappointed that she wasn't allowed to be the genius engineer of the original, but I like the idea of her leading ...more
bird
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times The Dark Deeps reminded me of Ten Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, but it was still a fascinating action packed read. I felt so sorry for Modo while reading this book. He's such a likeable character and his story is heartbreaking.

I read The Dark Deeps in about an hour or two and enjoyed it. The interactions between Tavia and Modo are simply hilarious. The villains are as scary as ever and the new characters that are introduced are brilliant. Middle school kids will love this steampunk s
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, sci-fi
Modo and Octavia are on a new assignment--and must pose as a married couple! Can they discover the "grand fish"? What happened to French agent Collette Brunet? And what is up with the strange coughing sound?

I think I liked this second adventure even better than the first. Slade does an awesome job interweaving the familiar stories with steampunk and espionage, creating his own unique world. It's a lot of fun figuring out what is going on and how they'll survive this time. And whether Modo will e
Amy
Aug 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-schoolers
The second installment in Slade’s Hunchback Assignments is a suspenseful deep-sea adventure with Steampunk flair. The Dark Deeps begins a new adventure so readers new to the series can enjoy this one on its own. Readers will be holding their breath as they voraciously read to the final pages to discover how Modo and Brunet manage to escape the clutches of the Clockwork Guild and Griff, the invisible man.
Suzanne
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun sequel. I loved the underwater setting and the addition of Colette the Japanese-French spy. There is also some nice development of the relationships, with a moving scene with Mr. Socrates. I will definitely check out the next book in this serIes.
X
Jun 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was better than the first book, I think, but still not outstanding. Maybe I just expect too much from them. I did love the steam punk setting though, and I'm looking forward to the next book.
Cheryl
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I'm really liking this series. It's kind of steam punk -- kind of action/adventure -- kind of romance -- kind of campy. It might capture the "Cherub" crowd -- more likely the "Incarceron" crowd.
Bonnie Keck
Kindle Unlimited, interesting premise but just could not get in to the stories, and considering have been reading serials and the like lately should not have been that hard.

Book 1: HYDE'S CHILDREN
Book 2: THE DARK DEEPS
Book 3: EMPIRE OF RUINS
Book 4: ISLAND OF DOOM
Modo: Mission Clockwork Boxed Set (1-4)

Seems as if those above The Hunchback Assignments so probably another version/cover of same
Vickey Foggin
In this series, misfit teenage secret agents try to foil an evil secret society of steampunks in an alternate history Victorian world. Sounds right up my alley and I really enjoyed book 1, but this one fell a little flat for me. The characters are shallowly drawn and the adventure is based on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea but not very exciting. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. It made me not want to bother with book 3 and 4.
Paula
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, steampunk
About halfway in, it got a little bit too drawn out and I kept checking to see how much more I had to read. The story was good and I did enjoy it. However, I hated the Griff character so much. A literal walking plot-device character. Just when you think things will go well, up pops Griff to ruin it. Spoiler alert: I'm glad he died in the end or I wouldn't continue reading the series.
Susan
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dark Deeps by Arthur Slade Note: While this is Book 2 in the series, it works OK as a stand alone story. Reading the first book would give you more info on the characters, but their past relationships are covered well enough in this book that you don’t need to have read Book 1, The Hunchback Assignments, to enjoy this novel.
Susan

Set in a steampunked 1800s, Modo works hard to please his master, Mr. Socrates, with his espionage abilities. Stealing secrets from the French has been fun, but now he and Octavia are sent on a much mo
Hannah
3.5 stars. Hunchback Assignments meets 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!

That basically describes The Dark Deeps. It's certainly not a bad thing, however, considering how much I love Jules Verne, and everything about the underwater world of Icaria was beautifully vivid. It's really a shame there wasn't much time spent on it, with 99% of the book set onboard the submarine, Ictineo. About the only thing I can see wrong with the relocation to an underwater setting is that we were taken away from that vi
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 02, 2015 06:21PM
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Escapement (Clockwork Earth #2)
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • Wild Cards and Iron Horses
  • Captain Nemo
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • Hearts of Smoke and Steam (The Society of Steam, #2)
  • Flaming London
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • Steampunk'd
  • The House of Storms (The Aether Universe, #2)
  • The Black Lung Captain (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #2)
  • The Nine Pound Hammer (The Clockwork Dark, #1)
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • The Osiris Ritual (Newbury and Hobbes, #2)
  • Scourge: A Grim Doyle Adventure (Grim Doyle Adventures, #1)
  • Clockworks and Corsets
  • The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man (Burton & Swinburne, #2)
Arthur Slade was raised in the Cypress Hills of southwest Saskatchewan and began writing at an early age. He is the author of the bestselling The Hunchback Assignments series of books, Dust (which won the Governor General's award), Tribes and Jolted. He lives in Saskatoon, Canada (which really is a real place). Join his creative & somewhat clever newsletter at: what a zany newsletter!
More about Arthur Slade...

The Hunchback Assignments (4 books)
  • The Hunchback Assignments (The Hunchback Assignments, #1)
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • Island of Doom (The Hunchback Assignments, #4)
“He had hours of paperwork ahead of him. All this paper would one day be the downfall of the Empire.” 2 likes