Start by marking “Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World” as Want to Read:
Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World

Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  2,910 Ratings  ·  321 Reviews
From one of the leading peacemakers of our time, a stirring call to move beyond religion for the guidance to improve human life on individual, community, and global levels
Published December 6th 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Religion

Barry Graham
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dalai Lama is one of the most misunderstood public figures, and he is misunderstood in two major ways. His fame as a spiritual teacher, combined with the warmth of his huge personality, makes it possible for people to enjoy his presence without actually hearing what he says, and so many of his fans experience him as a cuddly enabler along the lines of Thich Nhat Hanh or Deepak Chopra. In actuality, he is as far from Oprah Winfrey as fire is from ice. He is a deeply serious, tough-minded prac ...more
Stephanie *Very Stable Genius*
I love the Dalai Lama. Every time I hear him in an interview I smile from ear to ear, I can't help myself.

But I have read several of his books and each and every one was difficult to get through. I listened to this audio, which helps me actually finish books like these, but I had a hard time focusing on what was being said. My mind kept wandering every which way. Funny thing since a lot of this was, of course, about meditation practice, which is all about focusing the mind!

I had to laugh at my
Dan
Feb 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This book on a secular approach to ethics by the Dalai Lama caught my eye when I was browsing the new books section of my library. Acknowledging the shortcomings of religious approaches and the problems caused by the inherent conflicts of religion, the Dalai Lama turns to humanist principles and calls for a secular approach to ethics. In the later chapters, he addresses the overlap between secular humanism and Buddhist principles - a topic that has long been of interest to me.

This is a very good
Sara Jo Easton
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a Goodreads First Reads winner of this book.

This is a great book for anyone interested in philosophy who wants a book as entertaining as it is intellectually challenging. Each new concept is backed up with anecdotes from the Dalai Lama's life, told "half-jokingly" in a way that doesn't fly over your head. I finished the book several hours ago, and I'm still thinking about everything His Holiness said about our common humanity and the place ethics has in society. Thank you for the great rea
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
This book is part of a larger movement by progressive religious leaders - one that makes the argument for ethics outside of the constructs of religious teachings. I really appreciated the time the Dalai Lama spent defining "secular", a term which, all too often, has a negative connotation. His reasoning and practical approach to implementation was intriguing. While Humanist principles assert ethics (and morality) without religion, I'm left to wonder how accepting the larger religious community w ...more
Jud Barry
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All my life I have been told by "religious" people that religion is necessary for morality. I have never believed this, mostly because my own parents were every bit as moral as they were secular.

Also, growing up I absorbed the "enlightened," civic faith of the Founding Fathers of the U.S.A. in the ability of a body of citizens to govern itself without being ruled by a set of religious doctrines. All that was needed was the right framework (laws) and a willingness to work for the common good of a
Natassia
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A breath of fresh air.
Kate Lawrence
I agree with the Dalai Lama that only if the world's people succeed in finding common ground Beyond Religion is there a chance of working together for any kind of a sane future. I wondered what he was going to suggest, and found myself reading with interest. He describes compassion--the foundation of secular ethics--in detail, what it is and isn't (e.g. it isn't meekness). He shows why the practice of compassion and restraint is necessary for a sustainable environment, stable governments, as wel ...more
Nhu
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
suốt thời kì trung đại, tâm lí được nhìn nhận dưới góc độ tông giáo hơn là khoa học thì đây, bạn có thể tìm thấy tâm lí chuyên sâu dưới góc độ giảng giải về tính thiện của con người qua ngài dalai lama.
bạn có thể đọc bản dịch tại trang holieu.org. ở bản dịch bạn sẽ được làm quen với các cụm từ mà tôi cho rằng trong thời gian tới sẽ không mấy xuất hiện trong văn bản việt nam: ổn cố, cung hiến, ơn ích, viễn kiến, phóng chiếu, căn cước nhân cách, chúng sinh phức hợp, sự thịnh mãn tâm trí, cứu cánh
Jenny Choi
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is worth reading for me. The author explains quite difficult concepts by using simple and easy expressions in order to help normal people understand better. Come to think of this book, It seems that wise men put their values into entire humanity beyond narrow perspectives, which is pretty challenging to me.
GoodReads DSM: Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World 2 4 Mar 14, 2012 08:55AM
  • Good Citizens: Creating Enlightened Society
  • The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
  • The Belly Fat Cure Fast Track: Discover the Ultimate Carb Swap and Drop Up to 14 lbs. the First 14 Days
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • No Self No Problem: Awakening to Our True Nature
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...
“For a considerable portion of humanity today, it is possible and indeed likely that one's neighbor, one's colleague, or one's employer will have a different mother tongue, eat different food, and follow a different religion than oneself. It is a matter of great urgency, therefore, that we find ways to cooperate with one another in a spirit of mutual acceptance and respect.

In such a world, I feel, it is vital for us to find genuinely sustainable and universal approach to ethics, inner values, and personal integrity-an approach that can transcend religious, cultural, and racial differences and appeal to people at a sustainable, universal approach is what I call the project of secular ethics.

All religions, therefore, to some extent, ground the cultivation of inner values and ethical awareness in some kind of metaphysical (that is, not empirically demonstrable) understanding of the world and of life after death. And just as the doctrine of divine judgment underlies ethical teachings in many theistic religions, so too does the doctrine of karma and future lives in non-theistic religions.

As I see it, spirituality has two dimensions. The first dimension, that of basic spiritual well-being-by which I mean inner mental and emotional strength and balance-does not depend on religion but comes from our innate human nature as beings with a natural disposition toward compassion, kindness, and caring for others. The second dimension is what may be considered religion-based spirituality, which is acquired from our upbringing and culture and is tied to particular beliefs and practices. The difference between the two is something like the difference between water and tea.

On this understanding, ethics consists less of rules to be obeyed than of principles for inner self-regulation to promote those aspects of our nature which we recognize as conducive to our own well-being and that of others.

It is by moving beyond narrow self-interest that we find meaning, purpose, and satisfaction in life.”
18 likes
“Even from the most rigorous scientific perspective, unselfishness and concern for others are not only in our own interests but also, in a sense, innate to out biological nature.

In Indian usage, "secular", far from implying antagonism toward religion or toward people of faith, actually implies a profound respect for and tolerance toward all religions.

"honor another's religion, for doing so strengthens both one's own and that of the other.”
11 likes