Start by marking “A Daring Life: A Biography of Eudora Welty” as Want to Read:
A Daring Life: A Biography of Eudora Welty

A Daring Life: A Biography of Eudora Welty

Mississippi author Eudora Welty, the first living writer to be published in the Library of America series, mentored many of today s greatest fiction writers and is a fascinating woman, having lived the majority of the twentieth century (1909 2001). Her life reflects a century of change and is closely entwined with many events that mark our recent history. This biography fo ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by University Press of Mississippi (first published July 18th 2012)

CMRLS Libraries
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-young-adult
Must have for MS libraries. Good solid addition to biography collections. It is targeted at juveniles but it is not written in a way that adults looking for a brief look into her life would not be able to enjoy it and benefit from it.
Selena
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
KWinks
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
How I missed having to read Welty in both high school and college is beyond me. I started reading A Daring Life knowing nothing about EW and not having read any of her work. As I read about this very cool lady, I was inspired to hunt down her stories. I now have a pile of them. So, if the point of this book was to inspire more people to read EW, mission accomplished.
That said, I found this to be a simple read for adults, and a great book for teens. I would highly recommend this to my teens wh
Julie
My book club read The Optimist's Daughter last week, and this concise but well-researched biography illuminates her life and times for readers interested in her work. Particularly engaging topics were her devotion to her mother's garden, her efforts to continually maintain the friendships she established, her thoughts on civil rights in the turbulent 1960s, and her interest in travel and photography. Contains a timeline, an appendix of her artwork (among other appendices), and a bibliography for ...more
Steve
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short life of Welty.
SusanS
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Sort of a summary of the work of other biographers.
Kkraemer
May 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was written as a very general overview of Eudora Welty's life, and I guess it works okay in that capacity. I was interested in knowing more about how she was influenced to write her stories, how a white girl from Jackson had such insight into the people around her, both black and white. After reading the book, I gathered that it came, partly, from having been a photographer, which made me want to see a collection of her photographs.

which were not included. There were a number of family pict
Jaylia3
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This slim biography is a concise but worthy introduction to Eudora Welty’s life, which covered most of the last century, and it provides insight into how personal circumstances and national events affected Welty’s writing for readers who aren’t yet prepared to tackle a larger book about her. It quotes extensively from the much longer (almost 700 page) biography by Suzanne Marrs, a women author Carolyn J. Brown thanks as a mentor in the acknowledgements, and from Eudora Welty’s own book about her ...more
Chelsea Couillard-Smith
For a children's biography of an author they may not know, this is a solid read. I think it's a good introduction to Eudora's life, her relationships, and her writing. I wish it had gone a bit deeper into the importance of her work and the context in which she was writing. It scratched the surface, but even I was left wondering why she received the acclaim that she did, and I love her stories. I appreciated the number of photographs and excerpts from Welty's own writing, and found the narrative ...more
Mscout
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is advertised as a work "for all ages," but I believe the target audience would be on the younger side of young adult. 4 stars based on that audience (2 stars for an adult reader). In that context, it is a great introduction to the life of one of our great Southern writers. It has a plethora of photographs which really add to the text.

As one who hasn't seen the younger side of young adult for decades, I would not necessarily recommend it to someone who has already read a biography of Welty.
Whitney
I appreciated this book for its quick picture of an important Mississippian and writer, to whom I relate. I think adults will enjoy what this book has to offer even more than kids, although I'm sure it will be nice for kids to have something easy to relate to for book reports and the like.

The photographs are also an important touch that this book has to offer. This is a chronicle of the cultural memory of "Miss Welty" that we Southerners (yes, we Southerners) seem to all cherish.
Kelly
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to Welty's life. I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't care to delve into Marrs's biography, and even to those who've read everything on Welty. I now look forward to reading One Writer's Beginnings. I feel like that book paired with Brown's quick, engaging read would be great companion pieces.
Wanda
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This is meant to be a intro to Eudora Welty and Carolyn Brown does a great job at introducing her. I hope this biography encourages others to read Eudora Welty -- a great story teller, a great writer, a great person. I know this has inspired me to re-read her writings, including Suzanne Marrs' biography of Welty.
Linda Lewis
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
I liked this bio, but it somehow lacked any energy, simply stating facts with no real emotion or investment attached to it. Ms. Welty is a favorite author (and photographer) so this offering of her life was mediocre at best.
Rick Rapp
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This little book is a quick read and it does justice to the spirit of Welty, a woman of not only great literary skill, but also deeply held beliefs on justice and friendship. For those unfamiliar with her and her work, I would highly recommend it.
Annmbray
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it
A very quick intro to Eudora Welty and some of her writings. It makes me want to read some of her short stories and of course "The Optimist's Daughter," as well as to visit her home on Pinehurst St in Jackson, MS.
Gina
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well done- written in a very accessible style and it provides a nice look into this interesting author's life. I've always loved the line which is the basis of the title: "A sheltered life can be a daring life as well."
Mark Valentine
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
The best feature about this short biography is in the collection of photographs and illustrations from Welty's life. But the information presented seemed basic...as if it were mere reporting of information. Accurate, yes, but it lacked warmth and personality.
Ariel
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
A very solid biography to read through and catch a few glimpses into Welty's fascinating life. Definitely held my interest.
Lus
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best thing I've read this year. It made me want read Welty and I am currently reading "One Writer's Beginnings"
Kim downing
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Good YA biography. The author came and spoke at our school! Very interesting!
Sharneel
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This was enlightening perspective on one of America's own writers. A woman apart, she was a proponent of civil rights. A simple narrative read.
Elisa
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A pleasant enough short bio with good pictures.

Kaylan
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very basic and informative biography, and filled with cute pictures!
April
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
This one only gets 3 for The inclusion of Welty's doodles in one of the appendices.
James Pumpelly