Start by marking “Dare (Greystone, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dare (Greystone, #2)

Dare

(Greystone #2)

Think you know about gargoyles? The beautiful winged race disappeared eight hundred years ago. When they last walked the earth, they traveled in close-knit packs, their throats marked with ancient runes. Their greatest enemies were the ugly and brutal harpies that people today mistake for gargoyles.

The victim of a harpy attack at seventeen, Dare lost his wings along with h
Published April 20th 2012 by Taylor Longford

To ask other readers questions about Dare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare

Evie
I'm in love! I'm so so so in love!
You're probably thinking I'm talking about one of the gargoyles but I'm not, I'm talking about the series because how in the heck would I just choose one to adore? My gosh, every single girl on the face of this earth needs to read these books because holy cats how can you not love them?
This book was told from Dare's POV. At first I thought I might miss not having Mim's POV but I should have known Ms. Longford wouldn't disappoint! Dare was as amazing as Valor! M
Jeanine
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I read Valor I wanted to know when the next book would be written. Dare is that next book and continues the amazing story of the Gargoyles. What a pleasure to read - its a page-turner from the first page and leaves you just wanting more. Now I'm waiting for the next installment...
Melissa
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Dare was my favorite character from the first book, so I was happy to see him get his own story. This was a nice, easy, fun read. Looking forward to Reason's story!!!
Mel
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a lot better than the first one. I felt like it is constructed better overall and had a better flow to it. Also I think the main reason I liked this one better because I like Dare a lot better than Valor. He was a standout for me in the first book and despite not really loving the first book, I was curious about Dare and wanted to learn more about him.

I really liked that the book was in Dare's POV because that helped me understand him a little better. Dare is sweet, romantic, and mo
Abigail
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shifter, favorites
First, the cover, I like it, but it doesn't convey anything about the book except for the rune and the drab coloring is right for the tone of the book. Though this is book two in the series, it could be read as a stand alone. Most sequels take half the book to catch up on what happened, even if it's supposed to be a single, but the prologue of this book was excellent, short and to the point, while not missing anything.
I was a kinda suprised there was little moping from Dare, in Valor he was gloo
Dee
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You can also view my review on my blog at http://wellpinaroseonyournose.blogspo...

My thoughts:

I cannot praise The Greystone Novels enough. Taylor Longford is honestly one of the most talented new and upcoming authors that I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

I was first introduced to the idea of Gargoyles through Valor, the first book within the Greystone Novels, and it was love at first sight!

The novel was a straight 5. It had great character, plot and thematic development.

Dare...what can I
Beth
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There should be some sort of alarm that goes off when you hit 99% on your Kindle. As I read Dare, and eagerly turned the page expecting another chapter, you can't imagine my disappointment to find that I had reached the end of the story. I wanted more! I was a huge fan of Valor, and Dare did not disappoint (well, except for the part about me wanting another chapter). This time the story is told from Dare's point of view rather than MacKenzie, which was a nice change. The story has a nice balance ...more
Suzelle
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I finished Valor and immediately read Dare. -In a day and 1/2. Wow, does his story pull you in! I wish i had taken longer to read it so it wouldn't have been over so fast but Reason is waiting!! I love how the author is giving each gargoyle such a distinct story yet they are all connected as family. I also love the heroines of these books and especially that they are clean. I don't have to worry over what my girls are reading.
Can't wait for more!
Mallory
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Awww! I was very impressed with Valor (in fact I ended up reading it more than once before the next came out) and Dare impressed me as well! The gargoyles that Ms. Longford has created are of pure genius and creativity! Although Valor is still my favorite, Dare sucked me back in and made me eager for the next book, Reason. Thank You Ms. Longford!
Kelly Oram
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think I liked Valor a little more. Somehow it felt like not much was accomplished plot wise in this one though I loved reading from Dare's POV. I'm excite to see where she'll take the next book. It seems like the next one could be Reason's and he's a very interesting character. Could be fun.
Meghan
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Yay! I was so excited when Dare's story came out - and I loved that it was told entirely from his perspective! I always like getting a glimpse into the mind of any dude, but I found Dare a particularly interesting character, even in the first book. Can't wait for more in this series!
Chloe Friend
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
All I have to say is, Dare, I'm totally and completely...

description
Danielle
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am loving this series and can't wait for the next book to come out!
Becca
Okay so YAY. I loved the first one and i loved this one! I was thoroughly excited that it was in Dare's POV i was expecting it to be in Mim's but readers we got lucky and got to see Dare's POV. So as i do with most series that i read there will be spoilers if you haven't read the first one sorry but thats the way it works otherwise i wouldn't be able to write a review so :p

Okay so the plot of this story was an extension of the first, the three cousins are still missing and Reason has yet to retu
Apr 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormal
General Series Plot: A bunch of gargoyles got trapped behind a wall (by harpies) for 800 years frozen in their stone form not being able to make the transition because they can only make it if they have access to sun light. After being discovered by MacKenzie's stepfather they are shipped to Colorado to MacKenzie's house. Most of them arrive apart from 3 whom the shipping company lost. With Mac's help, the gargoyles try to find out what happened to the other 3. Mean while each one of them finds ...more
Michelle Bolanger
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dare is book two in the Greystone Series by Taylor Longford and I have to say, I am hooked on this series! The genre of Young Adult Paranormal Romance is so varied, yet I until I met the Greystone 'family' I had yet to read a series that featured gargoyles and harpies. So fun!

This has ended up being more a review of the entire series...but the individual books can be read and enjoyed completely independently.

One thing I love about this author, is her ability to blend each of the character's sto
Melissa Pearl
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic read. It kept me up at night and I flew through it.

I didn't enjoy this book quite as much as Valor and I can't even put my finger on why. I think it may have been that I like MacKenzie a little more than Mim. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Mim, she's a sweetheart. It's just MacKenzie has more spunk and I really liked her love story with Valor.

I like the way the story is told from Dare's POV. It was a nice change up to have a male character telling the story...
C.D. Coffelt
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Taylor Longford continues her Greystone saga with Dare, a tale of gargoyles and their introduction to the modern life of TVs and the internet.

Enclosed in a British building, turned to stone, and unable to reach sunlight to return to their normal selves, the gargoyle brothers are discovered and sent to Colorado. Valor is the first gargoyle to touch sunlight and becomes a living, breathing young man who falls for a modern teenager.

When his brothers arrive in their stone form, they also transform a
J.C. Cauthon
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is, by far, my favorite Greystone novel. Dare's history is so tragic that it's hard not to love him and cheer for him, especially when he wins Mim's heart. He needed her because she heals him.

Once again, Ms. Longford presents us with a very well-written novel and an intriguing story. Even though Dare is negative about everything and always blaming himself for everything that has happened to his brothers and his cousins, he is still a lovable character that the reader can sympathize/empathi
Lenore Kosinski
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars -- Dare was a bit frustrating. This was a good followup book to Valor, and continues on with the hijinks of the gargoyles, giving just a little bit more for each of the story lines (Reason's absence, the missing cousins), enough to tempt the palate but leave you wanting more. And normally I LOVE reading boy POV books....and I did enjoy Dare. But he could be quite selfish and frustrating at times, and so it wasn't all roses. I think the book would have benefitted from a multi POV, inclu ...more
Mary Myers-Huff Barscz
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was a fan of Dare from the first book Valor! I was so happy to read his story! After losing his wings Dare doesn't see himself as much of anything. Until he meets Mim, she has a way of changing him!
When Mim is taken by the enemy of the gargoyles, a harpy, Dare will do anything to get her back. Including giving himself up, what he didn't know was that Mim would do the same for him.
Taylor writes in a style that is easy to read and flows well. I'm totally in with the gargoyle crowd now! Looking
Trish
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I finished reading Valor and immediately bought Dare. If it's possible, I think I enjoyed Dare even more then Valor. Seeing Dare fleshed out, with his pain and history was great(not the pain, the depth of his character). I loved the mystery surrounding the missing gargoyles and the harpies. I'm dying to continue the stories of all of the gargoyles and find out what's become of the last three gargoyles. Anxiously waiting for series to continue!
Reviewer King
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's been awhile since I read the first book in the series called "Valor" and this one was told from the perspective of Dare.

I like the way the author writes and portrays her characters. It was nice to get into Dare's heads and read about the scenes through his eyes.

I've been a fan of this series from the beginning and this one did not disappoint.
Emily
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, romance, ya
I liked Dare and his story and I loved what Mim did for him but felt Mim was a sweet but rather hollow character... There just wasnt alot of development oh her side but despite that I still really enjoyed it and loved reading about the rest of the pack and the developments!
Kyra Dunst
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Taylor Longford did an amazing job bringing the gargoyles to life in this series. The characters are vivid and their stories are full of action. I would definitely recommend this author to anyone remotely interested in the paranormal.
Mhay Litada
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this is a great story i really love it!
Beccie
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I found this series. I love Dare and Mim.
Brittney Hamilton
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dare is an amazing character. I fell in love with him in Valor. This series just keeps getting better!
Tiffany
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars for me. I can't wait for the next story...I'm wondering if it will be Reason's story or Definace'S...I bet it will be exciting with its own little twist either way
Maria
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I like very much the mystery of the characters and the family theme. Sometimes a wounded person is the only one to understand another wounded being.

• Baptism of Fire (Draconi Series, #1)
  • Healed (Rebirth, #2)
  • To Light The Dragon's Fire (Dragons, Griffons and Centaurs, Oh My! #1)
  • Tsubasa: Those with Wings, Omnibus 1
  • The Rebel (Roswell High, #8)
  • Shinobi Life, Vol. 03
  • Broken Spirits (Scary Mary, #3)
  • Wild Ones, Vol. 4 (Wild Ones, #4)
  • Gravity (The Eclipse, #1)
  • Call Me Crazy
  • A Field Guide to Vampires: Annotated by Lucy Hamilton (Drake Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Bold & Beautiful (Future Alphas, #1)
  • Descent of Blood (The Red Veil Series Book 1)
  • Blue Violet (Svatura, #1)
  • Surrender  (Haunting Emma, #3)

1. The books in the Greystone Series are teenage romances written for younger readers.

2. You can read snippets from the Greystone Series in the section below titled "Taylor's Writing".

3. I'm an indie author; I work overtime at a demanding day job and write on weekends. My small clan of supportive readers has been the driving force that has kept me working on the series for the last three and a hal

Greystone (8 books)
  • Valor (Greystone, #1)
  • Reason (Greystone, #3)
  • Defiance (Greystone, #4)
  • Chaos (Greystone, #5)
  • Victor (Greystone, #6)
  • Force (Greystone, #7)
  • Courage (Greystone, #8)
“I'm not giving up on you. I'm giving up for you.” 0 likes