Start by marking “Room to Grow” as Want to Read:
Room to Grow

Room to Grow

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  257 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews

Until it’s freed from the closet, love will only wither on the vine.

Cole Wheaton is out in every sense of the word—out of the closet, and recently out of a bad relationship. He hopes the new contract to design a garden for the McLeans will be the distraction he needs to get his life back on track, but there’s something about David McLean that intrigues him…and sets off

Published August 7th 2012 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Room to Grow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Room to Grow

Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

Kate Sherwood is a new to me author and after reading Room To Grow, I’ll happily seek out more of her works. Room To Grow was a wonderful story in more ways that one. There were a lot of different relationships going on during this story including the one involving Cole Wheaton and David McLean. But, and to me this is huge, what happens to them is just a piece of this entire book. Yes, it’s a huge piece but many things had to happen in order for them to g
Anke
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Finally finished! It felt as if I was reading it for forever and not just two days. The beginning was very slow, all the garden stuff was not really my thing. At some point the story got to me, but not as much as anticipated. At the end it was well-rounded and satisfying and I don't need to read more about this couple.
L-D
About 3.5 stars.

I thought this was a pretty good short/novella. I didn't love the cheating aspect and David's relationship with his wife. Then it became weird because she was SO accepting. It just felt a lit false. I liked Cole a lot and I liked that they built on their friendship for awhile. A nice novella.
Arlyn
This story was decent but I'm sorry to say it missed the mark for me.

David is an unhappily married, closeted gay man. Cole is a garden designer that was hired by David's wife to build the garden of her dreams. The two men become friends and eventually, more.

I never really felt invested in the storyline and I felt no real emotional collection to either M/C. I felt that the MCs were OK but I found nothing particularly inspiring or magnetic qualities in either man. Their connection was good but it
Sadonna
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pdf, mm, contemporary
3.75 stars - I wanted more. It's no secret I'm a huge fan of Kate Sherwood's writing and Dark Horse is one of my favorite series.

This is a contemporary story about two characters that are dealing with new situations. Cole is just out of a bad relationship with a closeted jerk and David is just coming out of his marriage and coming out of the closet. But for some reason, Cole decides that David needs the support of a friend and he wants to be there for him. David would like Cole to be a lot more
Ami

What works personally
+ I like the fact that the story starts with David in that phase where he already think he should stop pretending. He already has that one foot outside the door. So no need for tedious time for angst and indecisiveness whether he might or might not be gay. Oh, I think the scene where David keeps saying to himself that he is gay is kind funny.

+ I like that David and Stephanie ask help to save their marriage. I know that this is an M/M romance, but somehow it's just
Camille
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m-rom-erotica
This was boring and the writing is lazy. My god, even the sex is utterly boring. There is a lot of room wherein the story ought to have unfolded and the reader ought to have been able to bear witness instead of the reader being told what happened with significant developments entirely unillustrated and skipped over with inefficient summary and disregardful brevity.

Galia
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Anita
I quite liked this!! Very adult handling of the relationship and the issues. Really appreciated that they talked like adults and worked things out. Unique characters and as a person who needs a bit of sappiness in my romance reads, this fit the bill nicely!! Cole is a garden designer - NOT a gardener, but one who designs gardens. He meets David when he designs a garden for David and his wife Stephanie. David and Stephanie have been having marital problems and have been seeing a marriage counselo ...more
Aurora
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reviews
Room to Grow is a lovely story from Kate Sherwood and her writing technique has really tightened up in this story. Sherwood is quite guilty of rambling somewhat in her stories and while it works on some occasions, it can also drag a story down and make it tedious but there are no such problems here. The writing is taut and controlled which is so important when you are writing a shorter story, otherwise you may run out of pages before making your point. I also liked how Sherwood used the gardenin ...more
Whitney
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of Kate Sherwood. I love the way she writes. I love the way she writes characters as real people without a lot of flare or over-dramatization, but still writes an really good story.

I liked Room to Grow. Both Cole and David had their own hang ups. David was a married man living in the closet; Cole just got out of a relationship with a man who refused to leave the closet. You can see where there might be contention.

The first half of the novel was about David coming to terms with b
Kaje Harper
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, short-story
This is a short, warm story about two men making a second start. For David, that means admitting he's gay and figuring out all the changes in his life that will follow. For Cole, it means finally giving up on the straight guy who's been jerking him around for so long, and then convincing himself that other men will not necessarily be as scared, one-sided or manipulative as his ex was. Interestingly, there is more conflict in the story over Cole's issues than David's. I loved Cole's passion for h ...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, ebook
This starts out a little slow, until David starts taking a bit more control of his life. He is such a sweetheart. I just wanted things to be better for him. I loved Cole. While he did upset me a bit a time or two, I really liked his character overall. I also understood and liked how Cole put David off until he was more solid in his new life as a gay man. Cole's friends were ok, though Sasha's licking issue was a bit icky.

What I didn't like was how slow things were moving, until, suddenly they j
Letti
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yes
Recommended to Letti by: Sarah
3.50
Let me begin by saying that I love Kate Sherwood.. But I was bothered by this book maybe because It was a short read and I felt like the chemistry wasn't developed enough... I still see David and Cole in the friend zone, not lovers I just didn't buy it...

I did love Cole's character, He had a passion for his job, and saw the beauty in it..

David is a married man coming out of the closet spoiler: (view spoiler)
Suze
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
A fairly quick read, well paced, low angst level that was good.
David and Cole meet when David's wife hires Cole to redesign their garden. I was wondering how this would go and thought the big secret was handled well. David and his wife have been in counselling for a long time and perhaps Cole is a catalyst at most to the final break.
Cole and David start as friends as David is finding his newly out feet. I did like the slow pace to their relationship, though Cole obviously has been burned bad
jules0623
T'Lar Jones
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I might be rounding up from four stars and some change but la la la don't care, this was a book I enjoyed from start to finish. And I really, really needed a win here.

I've avoided Sherwood's books for years because her usual is not my cup of tea, but her writing style is smooth and goes down easy. No doubt I'll still have to pass on most of her books, but won't hesitate in the future when it sounds like the content will work for me.

Yay, I found a book I unabashedly love! April was such a downer.
Shaz
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, ofy-gfy
This is one of those sweet, shortish reads with just the right amount of everything you need. Although I still (as always) feel it should have been longer lol. David is lovely as a man finally realising that his marriage is a scam and that he is in reality gay. Cole on the other hand is completely out and has been for years. He also just broke off a relationship with another man who was denying being gay.

I would have loved it if there was more about David's 'coming out' being told. And the end
Eve
Aug 09, 2012 added it
This is one of those books that I enjoyed while I was reading, but when I finished, thought maybe it didn't measure up to some of Kate Sherwood's better books.

So, I think that for someone new to this author it might be a 4 or even 5 star read, but for someone who's read the Dark Horse trilogy it might be a 3 star..

Also, this ends with maybe 10 pages of ads, so figure the actual book to stop around 88% of your file.
Anne
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Okay so maybe cheating? I found a 101 page M/M romance. A nice quick piece of fluff that I took to the launderette with me and read in two hours. It was pleasant, simple plot but enjoyable. So that's it. 50 books in a year. I guess I should get back to writing so maybe my target next year will be only 40 or 45. This will give me a chance with some longer and more difficult texts too. Though 50 has been fun.

I hope you all enjoyed your reading year as much as I did.
Joanne
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely story. I loved Cole so much, he was gentle and sweet, a real darling, and David, struggling with everything, trying to be a good husband yet not really knowing how to, and then Stephanie, David's wife, it's rare for me to like a female character in m/m books but Stephanie had such depth, she was her own person, strong, but compassionate, even when she was in her own pain, she still wanted David to be happy. I really loved this book, every single word.
Bitchie
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance, ofy-bfy
This was good, it was sweet, but I read it just a few days after For the Living, and they were pretty similar, so it bugged me a bit. This one was well written, but I felt it could have been longer, fleshed out a bit more.
Meggie
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Here we have a slow building romance between David, who is prepared to admit he is a gay man and Cole who takes a contract to design a garden for David's wife. In general I did like the story, but I missed this passion between both MC's. They were falling for each other, but... everything was written to nice and passive. It was a bit to bland read.
Buda
May 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Endless blathering on about plants and trees and gardens very nearly ruined this for me. Even after skipping miles of text about shrubs and flowers, by the time we got to the real point of the damn book, I struggled to summon enough interest to care. And then it just ended. 2.5 at best. Very disappointing for this author.
Viola
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
More of an outline of a novel than an actual novel. None of the elements is terribly new and the author seems a bit bored with them as well, often dispensing with what should be rather major events in her characters' lives in a few pages or less.
Pippacon
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a very sweet story and very accurate...I know of friends who have dated boys who claim to gay only for them..lol.. anyway I always enjoy Kate Sherwoods writing..and this tale was no exception...thanks..
Mistral
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 really would've liked more
Kobie
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
slow and sweet I enjoyed it though it felt like we skipped ahead at the end.
  • Came Upon a Midnight Clear
  • A Road Not Taken
  • But My Boyfriend Is (Florida Books, #4)
  • Love, Hypothetically (Theta Alpha Gamma, #2)
  • Taming the Bander (Solitary Shifters #1)
  • Pit Road (Running Under Caution, #1)
  • The General and the Horse-Lord (The General and the Horse-Lord #1)
  • Barging in
  • Rock and a Hard Place
  • Color of Grace (Cost of Repairs #2)
  • Half Blind (Freelance Magic, #1)
  • Bomber's Moon (Under the Hill #1)
  • The Closer You Get (The Distance Between Us, #2; Wilde's, #4)
  • The Au Pair Affair
  • Malachi's Word (The Bar Next Door, #1)
  • Show Me Yours
  • Red+Blue (Opposites Attract, #1)
  • The Only One Who Knows (The Only One, #1)