Start by marking “Untie My Heart” as Want to Read:
Untie My Heart

Untie My Heart

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  1,597 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews

Emma has come to him seeking justice—and Stuart is determined that she
Mass Market Paperback, 369 pages
Published November 5th 2002 by Avon (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Untie My Heart, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Mo
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Stuart Aysgarth, the new Viscount Mount Villiars, doesn't know he's playing with fire when he inadvertently runs afoul of Emma Hotchkiss. True, the exquisite Yorkshire lady is a mere sheep farmer, but she also guards a most colorful past that makes her only more appealing to the handsome, haunted lord. Emma has come to him seeking justice -- and Stuart is determined that she will not leave until she has shared her secrets ... and his bed.

She was shorter than he'd remembered. A plump, pretty l
Lyuda
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: victorian

Untie my heart. I will never be right without you.

Judith Ivory managed again to create unique story in a genre that is full of formula and hackneyed story lines. Reading it felt like looking deep into the lake when conditions are windy. Everything is distorted, strange, even uncomfortable and then the wind dies down, the waves subside leaving an unobstructed clear view of amazing depth, multilayered sediment and beautiful sandy formations.

Stuart Aysgarth, the new Viscount Mount Villiars, retur
Tammy Walton Grant
Here's what I wrote in April, 2011 after finishing this book:

3.5?? 4??? I'm stuck. Liked the story, liked the ending (another big AWWWW one) but I didn't really connect with either the H/h.

Like I'm finding with lots of books I inhaled read last year, it has definitely benefited from a re-read. Judith Ivory's writing is beautiful; her prose is so descriptive, her phrasing so witty and her grasp of the period - especially in terms of the vernacular - so precise, it's difficult to come away from
Kathleen
In Yorkshire, where lambing is life, Emma cooks Stuarts' books -- just a little -- because his crazed stallion killed her prize ram and — adding insult to injury — when she complained, he made light of it. She only wants fair recompense, and hates every high-brow hair on his head when he withholds. The smug miserly monster.

However, Stuart — that villainous viscount —has proof positive of her fraudulence. So, the blackguard blackmails her: Go to prison or run one of your clever confidence tricks
Corrine
I had a very hard time finishing this one. I like the concept of the book: con artist heroine has to help hero regain personal property, but it was not executed well.

Emma Hotchkiss is a vicar's widow, a sheep farmer, and a reformed confidence girl. She and her now-deceased husband once ran con games in London, until a close-call made them rethink their ways and retire to the country. In the intervening years, Emma's husband Zach began to embrace a gin bottle more than her, and she began to resen
MomToKippy
I had high hopes for this one - that it might be as good as The Proposition. It wasn't quite. One thing Ivory does very well is detail every nuance of interaction between two people. Their voice, intonation, accent, movement of hair, posture, scent, the way their clothing lays etc. She really does that well. She can elaborate on an interaction or conversation that lasts just minutes and go on for pages and it is not tedious! Still, the overall story just lagged in spots for me. I was expecting t ...more
Giedre
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
... he was the nicest lunatic she knew. Her sort of lunatic.

Well. We have a winner. Judith Ivory does it again. Untie My Heart is strange and wonderful. And one hundred percent a Keeper. Yes, with a capital "K".
Saly
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clearly this author's later works, work better for me and are to my tastes.
Zumbagirl
4.5/5 stars
April has been my month to read humorous books that cause me little or no stress - and Untie My Heart was a perfect match! I absolutely love the way Judith Ivory writes - she won me over with the Proposition - and this was almost as good (I hate to compare but I always do, can't help it). She has such a wonderful sense of humor and had me cracking up many, many times. She also has a way of writing the heroes in such a way that we really get to know them - somehow with other authors it
Kinley
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
At this point in my reading life, I am incredibly picky about romance novels. The list of what they can't be is long and exacting, and I can't tell you how many I've started just to put them down half way through with a sigh of, "I will never be able to finish this drivel."

Judith Ivory is one of the best romance novelists out there. I just re-read both Untie My Heart and Black Silk and was amazed - AMAZED - at the depth of character in each.

Her writing makes the people, and the places, simply l
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • Bliss (de Saint Vallier Brothers, #1)
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • My Dearest Enemy
  • The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2)
  • Thunder & Roses (Fallen Angels #1)
  • The Devil's Waltz
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • The Price Of Desire
  • The Lady's Secret
Judith Ivory "accidentally" acquired two degrees in mathematics, then sold her first novel in 1987 and closed up the math books for good. She lives in Miami Florida, with her two children, two cats and a dog.

"Judith Ivory" is the pseudonym of author Judy Cuevas (real name).

The pseudonym was first used by her after publication of her last book as "Judy Cuevas," in 1996 - Dance. Her first book, Star
More about Judith Ivory...

“On the roof, on the duvet under the steam vent, with the planets overhead, he let her scream all she wished. She screamed into the night. To the stars. At one point, with his lying atop her, he said, “Look over my left shoulder. Venus is visible tonight.” Then he pulled the covers away from her, wrestling her for the duvet, as he called, “Here she is, all you Venusians”—he lifted out his arm, using it to span the celestial horizon-—“and the rest of you planets out there: the most beautiful woman on Earth, spread-eagled for your pleasure!” He laughed. “At my disposal, mm-m-m!” He bent down, nibbling, kissing her neck with his teeth, his lips, his mouth.” 3 likes
“Tied up a lot of women, have you?" He raised one eyebrow, whatever that meant. "A bit odd, are you?" She was being sarcastic, trying to taunt him into a sense of guilt. While perhaps bursting any bubble in herself of misguided, soft-hearted concern for a man with sad eyes and complicated wealth. Though his sexual inclinations were perhaps not the wisest of barbs to do either. He looked down at her, speculative.

"Difficult to say." He actually answered the question seriously. "Legally? Decidedly. But then British laws on the subject are so guilt-ridden I'm surprised we've propagated as a race." He mad a small, grim smile. "How delightful we're having this conversation. And what is it you like?”
1 likes