Start by marking “The Fun They Had” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Fun They Had

Isaac Asimov

The Fun They Had

This short story was first published in ''Boys and Girls page'', ''NEA service'', in December 1951.
"The Fun They Had" is a science fiction story written by Isaac Asimov. It first appeared in a children's newspaper in 1951 and was reprinted in the February 1954 issue of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, as well as the collections Earth Is Room Enough (1957), 50 Short Sci
Paperback
Published (first published December 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Fun They Had, please sign up.
TropicalRainforest It's intended as satire, Asimov hated school as a child.

Start your review of The Fun They Had
Mea ;)
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought that it was okay. It wasn't my favorite.
Summer :)
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked how they compared the past to the future in regards to schooling. However, it wasn't my cup of tea.
Owen Bass (Captain Handsome)
Sep 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I gave this book one star because it has haunted me throughout my life. This short story has showed up every two or three years and just APPEARS. The only thing I even remotely liked is how Asimov relates future school hatred with modern school hatred. Other than that, I only recommend this book if you like other works by Isaac Asimov.
Nevan Ellis
Sep 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Didn't like it nothing interesting in my opinion.
Alice
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story
A futuristic take on school and paper books makes me nostalgic about my own childhood and the paperbacks we seem to be discarding for electric mediums (kindles are not so far from Asimov's telebooks!). With a beautiful perspective and melancholic underlining, this short story is an enjoyable reflection that might make us wonder how much we want to give up to technology.
Ella Patton
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought the story was okay. It was too short to develop much of anything, but the predictions the author made were interesting to read about because of the accuracy of a lot of them.
ANDREW STAHL
i didnt like it
Salma
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay,this is what we call creative writing!The main reason I liked the story was its setting;the future.In here people didn't have to go to school anymore,they didn't have persons teaching them,they called televisions teachers and they didn't have to use books!At least printed on paper.Everything was technology.
This book obviously had me thinking about the future.I mean how would the world have been like if we used technology only and nothing else?I think I'll freak out if I were to be st
shreya
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another short story I liked! Margie and Tommy's wonder about the 'real' books and how 'real' school would have been where everyone played and interacted with people and studies together...while reading I had gotten protective about our times where we lived their dreams. A trip to future, in my words!
I still love my paperbacks and I don't think I will ever throw it away ;)
Carly Smoot
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I see how this story could be really impactful to show students the privilege of school and having real human interaction. The failure of technology is ever present in this text and it definitely makes you think in this world of e-books and computers and electronics everywhere.
Jim Davis
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Asimov was very prescient in 1951 concerning the way that technology would isolate us through the interface of the devices we use. Asimov didn't foresee PC's or cell phones but he foresaw that technology would limit face to face contact and interacting on a direct physical basis.

This made me think about the difficulty of predicting the actual advancement of technological devices. Asimov wrote many story concerning a super computer called Multivac. But to show the immensity of Multivac's abiliti
Caleb
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
this book is good but i dont like it because it takes place in the future where a girl wants to go to school in 2018.but she cant her teacher is a robot that gives her to much home work.i dont like robots thats one reason i dont like it and the fact that robots are teaching us we should be teaching robots.
Ethan Kenny
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
i gave it two stars because it is in the furture and there school was next to there bedroom ans there was still school and they did not read there first book it was boring because it wasnt that intresting
Abe
Shelves: short-stories
It was okay, but I felt like it is good if you want to just skim through a book and not have to actually read something. But, I wouldn't recommend it if you want something interesting because..........................................it's not.
Dante Rassler
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, read-online
1.5/5

It was... okay I think? I mean, I assume it's intended to go as a critique to the future technologies and so but it was really difficult for me to not think that those assumptions were obsolete at this time being...

Nathaniel
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I hated this story and writing a long review is unnecessary.
Landen Lake
Oct 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
The story wasn't anything interesting and i had to force my self to read it because i had to read it for class. This story will never intrigue me and will haunt my days here in earth.
Connor Sexton-Neal
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't have any strong opinion about this book. It didn't have a huge impact on me and I am going to refrain from saying it was good or bad.
Cameron Tessman
Oct 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I rated this book 1 star because the story sucked the names sucked and just everything sucked about it. If i ever had to read this story again i will cut my eyes out.
Lauren Lindstrom
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
This story was pretty okay. I felt like it was cool. He was like true on how we read books on our phones.
Brennan Bass
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't like the fun they had because of the fact that It was a short story and how it didn't make me want to be engaged. Also I just didn't like the story.
Jack Teegardin
Oct 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
It was too short. i dint like it it wasnt very in depth. a story 1 page long it cant be that good.
Alyson Hubbell
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I gave this story a 3 star rating, because it wasn't very interesting to me. It was a good plot line, but it wasn't very descriptive.
Koden Cotter
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
in this story The Fun They Had it was a ok book i didnt hate it i just didnt like it a lot it was a good story though
Lane Warner
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't this short story because it had no ties to the present.
Anubhuti Mahanta
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This story happens to be in my English Textbook.
It wasn't so bad after all.
Ashley Fairchild
Oct 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I thought this story was boring because It made no sense and It was hard to understand it.
Anastasia
Shelves: dont-like-at-all
This book didn't really interest me. I don't like this book . It didn't pull me in and make me feel how the character did.
Jas Lopez
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i like this books because its based on a more futuristic stand point, and how the teachers are robots instead of human, it is very detailed and has a good base to the story.
Makayla
Shelves: short-stories
I gave it 3 stars because it was good but i don't like the fact they have robot teachers.

Professor Asimov is generally considered one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works publish