Start by marking “The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators” as Want to Read:

The definitive book on animation, from the Academy Award-winning animator behind Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Animation is one of the hottest areas of filmmaking today--and the master animator who bridges the old generation and the new is Richard Williams. During his more than forty years in the business, Williams has been one of the true innovators, winning three Academy
Published 2001 by Faber & Faber

Start your review of The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Animation students and enthusiasts.
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Coursebook for Basic Animation
I read this for my Basic Animation class. I wouldn't say I read every page, but enough that I will count it. It's mainly illustrations but that's probably the best learning tool for this subject. Mr. Williams clearly knows his stuff when it comes to animation. He worked with all the greats, including the Old Men of Disney and he knew some of the other greats like Tex Avery. This is a must for animation students and those who want to explore the technical side of animation, and it's a good ...more
Bert
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animation
After reading this, I quit my job and went back to school to learn all about animation! Interesting, up-to-date, "complete" and very useful guide.
Fatine
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-animation
This book has a great deal of Richard Williams in it and it's absolutely amazing. Of course it does a fine job explaining all the notions necessary to grasp the basics of animation but ultimately, what makes it so enthralling to read is getting to enjoy Richard's perception of the craft and see it manifest through the pages. This is especially true if one gets the chance to watch the accompanying DVDs while reading the book. Warm and mellow in its speech but unmistakably driven and passionate, ...more
Katelyn Jenkins
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ULTIMATE BOOK ON ANIMATION.
iF YOU WANT TO BECOME AN ANIMATOR, THIS IS practically available everywhere. :)

Just get it! Just practice it! Get good doing your great! This book is the only of it's kind, thank you to Richard Williams, I will forever be reading this.
Sabine Terky
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must-read for anyone interested in learning animation. I always refer back to it while working. Priceless tips by an animation mastermind.
Anna Dale
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full of beautiful and helpful illustrations! There's so much information, I almost want to reread it so I can reinforce what I've learned.
Jere
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I doubt I'll ever become an animator but I sure did learn a lot from this book! And now I appreciate more the effort that goes into making animations.
Can't say I enjoyed the whole journey, though. For someone studying the subject or working in the business the book is surely a gem, but a layman like me might find the countless pages on 'how to make a character walk' quite a slog to go through...

I totally recommend this book to anyone who has even the slightest dream of becoming an animator.
Diana Habashneh
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
excellent reference. i also recommend watching the videos for more understanding
Aja
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in hand drawn animation
Shelves: art
While I have not gotten into animation (at least not yet), this book really gives me a great wealth of information for what to expect. Not just for animation, but for great animation. It's absolutely mind blowing of the compilation of advice from not only the author himself, but of other animation veterans of different studios spelling it out for anyone who reads this.

I remember a friend of mine from school saying that doing traditional hand drawn animation was insane because of the countless
Gvantsa Tandilashvili
An important book for animators and animation enthusiasts. This has been a useful and faithful tool for me as an animator. I often refer to it. There's information on the different cycles and variations of them such as run, walk cycles. Learned so much about arcs, acting, body language, twinning, facial expressions, lip sync, etc. Everything is broken down and explained through pictures, drawings, and written explanations in a way that is fun and engaging. There is a lot of information geared ...more
Koen Crolla
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
Williams is obviously working from a very specific tradition of animation and targets people who animate in a studio context rather than people who want to do it on their own, but most of the advice here translates and only some of it is clearly bad (like the stagger vibration thing; it's certainly true that that is/used to be a very common way of doing it, but the only reason I know that is because it stands out like a sore thumb every single time).
I just don't understand why every man in
Julia Milius
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
More pictures than text, reading through this book helped prepare me to succeed in my animation class. I was able to add tips and tricks from the book that helped set my animation a level above other first time animators in the class. Hearing the many approaches of animators gave me confidence in trying out new and different ways of animating. While one shouldn't include a walk cycle in their portfolio, one does need to excel at a walk cycle in order to achieve better animation.
Rachel Corey
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is actually my favorite book of all time (no, like, really, this is the one book I would read for the rest of my life if forced to pick one) so I'm surprised I haven't reviewed it yet?! How to even begin to describe how wonderful and useful Williams' wisdom and drawings are? Just read it. You won't regret a second of it.
Dave Woodward
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book on learning to execute very commonly used techniques in animation. Although I never practiced anything the book taught me, it has given me a much desired dose of knowledge on how many of my favorite 2-D animated films were made.
Alex Perez
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book breaks down how the pioneers of animation created and honed the classic movement style of the 30's and 40's. Easy to follow and fun to read, with tons of reference illustrations on just about every page.
Zambrano
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just finished it for the same week and i really enjoyed it. I loved how at first the storylines didn't seem to have anything to do with each other but slowly details were revealed to show how they are all connected.
Soha
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best book out there for animators who are looking for animating tips.(specially beginners) Great book i thank Mr Richard Williams for this great book and sharing his experiences with the world ...more
Siann
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS Lovely ginormous book was gifted to me by my brothers girlfriend. and it was what I wanted for so long. THANKYOU!!!!

I have to say it gives you the basics of practically everything to do with movement, proportion, body language, facial expressions. This is really helpful.
Sarna na Kiju
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I didnt manage to finish it, but Ive read around 260 pages and I've stopped because I feel I am not at a proper level to actually proceed the book. I will continue reading it, its really good and helpful. :) Do yourself a favor and read it if you want to animate.
Clara
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-kids
Great starting point for beginners.
Ina
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book always blows my mind. The amount of knowledge Richard Williams had and to sit down and document all of that is astonishing to me.
An absolute must have if you are doing animation.
Waqar Ali
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LivThebooks
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow. I learnd so much! Im definitely going to use this when I practice animation. Great book for anyone interested or studying animation
David Parker
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Incredible. I'll never look at animation the same.
Denver
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good startup book for animators
Forest Gamble
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great reference guide for animators and animation enthusiasts!
Kirsten
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh neat! This is on here! lmao 500/5 excellent to read through and reference eternally.
harsan81
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animation
Magnificent! I learned a lot from this book!

It's a must have and read for any animation professionals, student, hobbyist, or enthusiast!
Jakob Christensen
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first book to get as an aspiring animator. Amazing value and fun to read.
Link Starbureiy
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a tough 5 star rating (I'm bias towards American classical techniques), but it is considered a bible in the field for a reason. A must have for a student's library.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Traditional Anima...: Influential Texts 2 13 Apr 26, 2015 01:11PM

• The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation
  • Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: Volume 1: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures
  • How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way
  • Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist
  • Comics and Sequential Art
  • Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Master Reveals the Secrets of Drawing the Human Form
  • Drawing the Head and Hands
  • Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
  • Cartoon Animation
  • Drawing the Head and Figure
  • The Natural Way to Draw
  • Drawing Dynamic Hands

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Librarian note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
“Good drawing is not copying the surface. It has to do with understanding and expression. We don't want to learn to draw just to end up being imprisoned in showing off our knowledge of joints and muscles. We want to get the kind of reality that a camera can't get. We want to accentuate and suppress aspects of the model's character to make it more vivid.” 0 likes
“We're not copying life, we're making a comment on it.” 0 likes