Start by marking “Sadie and the Big Mountain” as Want to Read:
Sadie and the Big Mountain

Sadie and the Big Mountain

When her preschool plans a Shavuot hike just like Moses took up Mt. Sinai, Sadie is afraid she is too little to make it to the top, and tries to think of ways to be absent. But when the day comes, she learns that anyone can climb high enough to reach God.
Hardcover, 1st, 32 pages
Published 2012 by Kar-Ben Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sadie and the Big Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sadie and the Big Mountain

Kristine Hansen
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sadie is afraid to climb a 'mountain' as part of the Shavuot celebration with her class. This is a beautifully written book that explores how these fears are processed and overcome, while teaching about a celebration that I knew little about.
Sada
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: littles-faves
I think my kids (5 and 3) like this books so much because Sadie feels nervous about something and they can relate. I like the explanations included about Shavuot. Our non-Jewish family members struggle since there’s no guide anywhere that explains how to pronounce Shavuot. That would be helpful.
Donna Mork
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute story about a little girl in school learning about Shavuot, a Jewish holy day.
Melissa
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
A solid faith-based story about worry. The fourth star is for the explanation Rabbi Jamie gives Sadie about the size of Mt Sinai, which brought tears to my eyes. Another book I need to buy for the children's library at church.

(PS. I did some reading about the author, and now realize that getting outside and hiking like they do in the story is actually a perfect reflection of her real-life calling to connect spirituality and nature, however, does it seem weird to anyone else that she wrote herse
Shelli
May 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I really wish books about religion would mention on the cover that they are a book about whatever religion they are describing. I would still read those books because I want my daughter to know about other peoples faiths around the world... but I probably wouldn't grab that book at the local library until around the particular holiday. This book was well written and informative about Shavuot, a Jewish celebration.
Melissa
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
At first glance I thought this book would be about a little girl’s camping trip. I couldn’t have been more wrong. I never would have linked this book to talking about the Jewish holiday, Shavuot. This book was really informative about the Jewish tradition of Shavuot.
Brianna Sayres
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My son loved it! Right after we finished, he asked to read it again (which we did). He especially liked all Sadie's reasons she wouldn't be able to go on the hike. And now we can't wait to findoour own Mount Sinai to climb for Shavuot.
Hilary Taylor