Start by marking “The War is Dead, Long Live the War” as Want to Read:
The War is Dead, Long Live the War

The War is Dead, Long Live the War

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The year 2012 marks the twentieth anniversary of the onset of the worst carnage to blight Europe since the reign of the Third Reich - the Bosnian War. A hurricane of violence was unleashed by Serbian President Slobodan Miloševic and his allies, the Bosnian Serbs, in pursuit of a 'Greater Serbia'. An infamous campaign of 'ethnic cleansing' demanded the annihilation of all B ...more
Published April 2012 by The Bodley Head Ltd (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The War is Dead, Long Live the War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War is Dead, Long Live the War

Liz
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
In August 1992, journalists Ed Vulliamy and Penny Marshall revealed to the world the concentration camps in which the Bosnian Serbs, presided over by Radovan Karadžić, Ratko Mladic and others, kept their (primarily Bosnian muslim) prisoners in the service of ethnic cleansing. Twenty years on, Vulliamy attempts to make sense of what he found, and what has happened since to those prisoners - on both a personal and a political scale.

The book's subtitle is "Bosnia: the Reckoning", but it contains se
Joe
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must for those who need to know what really happened to the Muslim people in Bosnia just a very short time ago whilst the world stood by and let it happen. It is really well written,clear and precise whilst not losing the humanity of the stories that need to be read and witnessed...to discover how loving we are, we must discover how unloving we are...maybe i am reading it to throw more light on the shadow aspect of humanity...in any case, I will finish it and tell more people to b ...more
John
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone

Ed Vulliamy’s latest book adds to the ever growing list of books about Bosnia and the former Yugoslavia however, this effort adds a new dimension to what is already out there.

To get the gist of what this book is going to be about the most important word in the title is the word ‘reckoning’ - that is to answer or give account of one’s actions or when past actions will be atoned for. Specifically, it is about the Serb’s lack of reckoning.

Like Laura Silber’s book The Death of Yugoslavia this b

Gina
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ed Vulliamy has successfully communicated the enormous complexities (ethnic, political, moral...) of the Bosnian war in a very readable book. Of course it is harrowing in parts, but not overly so - he acknowledges that people find it difficult to read about the horrors experienced in this and other human catastrophes, and so lays off doing so, without cutting any corners on the scale and utter devastation caused by this ethnic war. (On the other hand, if you do want to read about the unthinkably ...more
Nancy Stringer
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If strangers had come and put us in a camp, that could have made sense in their heads at least," recalls one survivor. "But when you put faith in your school friends, classmates and teachers, and they turn against you and want to kill you - then the world falls apart."

The book is Vulliamy's attempt to grapple with the personal and historical legacy of Omarska. At the heart of the book are the survivors. Vulliamy is interested in how the Bosniak men and women who endured the concentration camps
Jackie
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: research
Another book where a star rating isn't appropriate because this isn't fiction and it cannot be compared with my other reads. But even so, how could it not be 5 stars?

This is not a book to enjoy, it is a book that educates. It made me cry repeatedly, it made me ashamed of my own ignorance and it made me question the values of my own country. The author's personal Involvement and passion for the cause of the Bosnian people screams from every page. It didn't attempt balance but that is the whole p
Gill
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such an important topic, being not only about the Bosnian genocide but particularly about the aftermath. How does a nation or a people come to terms with such horrors, whether as survivor or perpetrator?

I took the book from an Essex Libraries Holocaust Memorial Day reading list. I am ashamed to say that this happened in my lifetime, just across my continent, and that governments like my own were at best neglectful and at worst complicit.

V often uses the Holocaust to contrast
Dieter
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is an important book because it also shows what can happen when authority breaks down, when leaders and or governments sanction, in spoken or unspoken form, lawlessness, murder and cruelty and rape - there always have been and there always will be certain segments of the population who will take advantage of this "openings", who will commit unspeakable crimes to those who in previous days were neighbors, work mates or even "friends".
Emma