Start by marking “Confession Is Murder (A Lucille Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Confession Is Murder (A Lucille Mystery #1)

Confession Is Murder (A Lucille Mystery #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  195 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
For middle-aged "Jersey girl," Lucille Mazzarella, only two things in life really count--her family and her friends. When her brother-in-law's body falls out of the confessional at church, everything she holds dear is threatened, especially when the police arrest her husband for the murder. Plagued by hot flashes, a thickening waistline, a mother addicted to the home shopp ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by Amazon Digital (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Confession Is Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confession Is Murder

Shirley Worley
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read with an twisty plot, interesting characters, hidden secrets, and humor sprinkled throughout. The setting is in New Jersey, but it is not explicitly pointed out at the beginning. I thought the grammar was poor until I realized it was written with a specific dialect in mind. From that point on, I heard the Jersey accent loud and clear. The characters are clearly Italian and Catholic, and there was a specific Saint prayed to for every possible scenario the MC encountered. Not being C ...more
Sue Ross
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Confession is Murder is the first in the latest series by Peg Cochran. This series “stars” Lucille, a middle age mother and wife who finds the dead body of her sister-in-laws husband in the confessional at the local church. There is more than one death in this book, and you will have a hard time figuring out who done it….at least I did. This book didn’t leave me wanting anything and I will be reading the next and the book after that in the series. I enjoy Peg Cochran’s books. She can make you fe ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very entertaining book for a first novel and ends up making you want to read the next book soon.

Lucille is a devoted Catholic wife and mother who is going through some of life's bumpy hills. Lucille's husband, Frank has used her savings (to visit the Pope,) without her okay. This is a large enough sin that he is thrown out of the house. Lucille isn't alone though. Bernadette, the Mazarella's only child still lives at home and that presents more problems.

Lucille works for the local par
Marta Louise Mozzott
Cute cozy catholic mystery

This cozy mystery brings back memories of my growing up in the Catholic church. Lucille is adorable character trying to keep marriage and parenting an adult child in check. Something about the sweet characters seem real and heartfelt. Enjoyed the story a lot. Looking forward the the next book and what else can happen in smallish town with tons of nosey Italian family members and a cute RC church.
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
ISBN: 9781837349813
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley
My Rating: 4 1/2 Stars

Lucille Mazzarella is a typical Christian housewife and mother. Her world revolves around the church, her family and friends. Replacing the flowers in the sanctuary Lucille fi
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucille Mazzarella is a middle-aged housewife living in New Jersey. The most important things in her life are her husband, daughter and her extended family and friends. Things go crazy for Lucille when she throws her husband out of the house, her daughter has boyfriend problems, her mother buys non-stop from QVC and most of all…she stumbles upon her brother-in-law who falls out of a church confessional, very much dead!

Lucille’s husband, Frankie, and her brother-in-law, Joseph, are partners in a
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lucille Mazzarella, from Jersey, is an endearing fun-loving girl, who cares about her family and her friends. In this book, she finds her brother-in-law dead in the confessional at the local church, where she works and sets out to figure out what happened. Along the way, she copes with a pregnant but totally unambitious daughter, friends who surprise her with longstanding secrets they never did tell her though being BFF, a husband who, like her, is going through the strains or middle age and a s ...more
RO G'ma
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading Confession Is Murder. The story moved along quickly, with laugh out loud moments, the quirky characters and surprise ending were great. The storyline flows smoothly, which makes for an enjoyable read.

Writing in the vernacular when the characters are speaking is one thing, but to write an entire book with incorrect pronouns, wrong verb tenses and double negatives distracts from the story. There were times when I couldn’t determine if there was a typo, a missing word or a word th
Teresa Kander
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: choosy-bookworm
This is my first experience with this author. While I like the premise of the series (a middle aged woman devoted to family, friends, and faith) and enjoyed the characters, I had a few issues with the writing. I can understand using dialect in the dialogue of characters, but when it comes in the descriptive/explanatory paragraphs as well, it becomes too much of a distraction.

Other than that, this was a great book. Lucille is determined to find the killer of her brother-in-law, to exonerate the s
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Lucille is a middle aged woman who works at her church, cooks and bakes for everyone she knows and has just asked her husband to move out.

This is a quick mystery read. And I am a big fan of cozy mysteries.

First of all, Lucille is an interesting character and as a lead, she is very viable. The secondary characters all add to the story. And the plot is well developed. People who are in the small town where Lucille lives are all either related in some way, or they attend the same church.

If I were
Feb 06, 2015 added it
Janet Emson
I received a copy of this book from the publishers via Net Galley and this is my honest review.

Lucille Mazzarella is at work in her local church when out of the confessional tumbles her brother-in-law Joseph. She soon realises that he is dead and that he was murdered. With her loved ones implicated she decides to take matters into her own hands and investigate for herself.

I love a 'cozy' mystery and this has all the makings of such a book, it has the small town atmosphere, quirky characters and
Debbie Price
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lucille Mazzarella has a very full, and somewhat busy, life. Not only does she do all of the house work, she works at church, has a mom who is addicted to the shopping channel, a middle-aged waistline that seems to be expanding and a husband who has wiped out her savings account. Oh, then there is the small problem of her brother-in-law that fell out of the confessional, at her feet, very dead.

Lucille, along with her best friend Flo and a host of Saints, solve the murder and hopefully, for now,
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any one that likes a Cozy Mystery and does not mind a little language.
Recommended to DonnaCarol by: Kindle for PC
I wasnt sure how I was going to like this book as I read the first few chapters.I was concerned that the language might be a problem, but it was kept quite light and it actually did seem to fit the characters and was not added awkwardly for "affect and drama". The more I read, the more they all came to life. Even those that made short appearances, like Cousin Louis. Good humor. The murderer was woven skillfully in amongst other suspects leaving me changing my mind every few chapters about "who d ...more
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did like the story that was written here. I really liked the references to the patron saints throughout the book. Lucille is quite interesting. And I didn't really guess who did it at all.

The one thing I did not care for was the grammar. It was quite distracting to me. But I am sure it was supposed to be part of Lucille's character and it can not have been easy to write it that way.

I will read the next book in the series sometime. It will be fun to see which other patron saints Lucille calls u
Sally Malkowski
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Peg Cochran is a new author to me, but she will henceforth be engraved in my memory bank. Her characters are believeable and loveable and ... human. Her style is one I can easily associate with ... dialogue, humor, and knowledge of the subject(s) (the Catholic Church, solving a murder and the Italian culture). Bravo, Peg! I would rate this book 4 and 3/4 stars if I could! I look forward to a sequel.
Gina Smith
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lucille is working at the church when the body of her brother-in-law slides out of the confessional and lands in her path. First her daughter's boyfriend is arrested, and then someone even closer to her. Lucille starts to investigate the crime on her own and what she uncovers is that people have been keeping a lot of secret. Can she get down to the bottom of what really happened? An interesting mystery.
* I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read that kept my interest all the way through. I got used to the grammar suited to the characters and ended up reading this in super fast time. The quirky Italian characters were so much fun to follow through their adventures. Lucille is every woman. Good mystery too! I recommend.
Dec 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
I tried to read this. I'm always looking for new mystery/cozy mystery series. But I couldn't get past the horrible grammar. I get that it's dialog and it's supposed to sound like you're listening to their conversation. But it was so bad, it was just way too much of a distraction and comes across sounding ignorant.
Annie Adams
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Terri Crossley
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
With big Sunday dinners and prayers to every saint you could think of I felt like I was back at home while reading this book! With laughter, romance, and mystery this book has it all and will keep you guessing till the very end! I highly recommend this book and hope you will give it a try you won't be disappointed!
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
a Cute cozy about a mature, Lucille, living in her Italian neighborhood in New Jersey. She works at the local Catholic church and her husband and his friend run a local pest control company until she finds the friend dead in the confessional and her husband arrested for murder. An old boyfriend is the lead detective and the cast of suspects all grew up together. A nice little read.
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really fun book.

I enjoyed reading about Lucille and her friends. I enjoyed that they were older sleuths. Being a bit older myself, I can relate to some of what they are going through!! I love Peg Cochran's books.!!!
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
I am giving this book 2 stars because the underlying story/mystery had potential... the writing is terrible. The repetitive double negatives and lack of grammer was extremely distracting and made this a difficult read. The characters came across as illiterate and somewhat unlikable.
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it
The characters were hysterical and I really enjoyed that aspect (reminded me of my Italian family), but I don't know if it would be as funny reading a series with those characters, so this will probably be the only book that I read if it is a series.
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
The main character, Lucille, is a hoot! She actually does make a great detective, inviting everyone to Sunday dinner and praying to every conceivable saint for guidance along the way. I can't wait to read her next adventure.
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Peg is a middle-aged, slightly overweight Italian Jersey girl who's just thrown out her husband. Peg's brother-in-law is found dead in church. Peg's best friend's son is accused and Peg starts to investigate on her own since the police must have the wrong guy.

Fun and fast read.
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Here is a not to be missed mystery with all elements a reader could require. Title had me fooled for a time. Author knows how to keep interest & provide a story worth your time. Took my time to enjoy the book.
Judy Jarkovsky
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Good light read with characters familiar to me as I am from the area this story takes place in. Really enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Characters 1 5 Oct 01, 2012 08:48AM
  • Two Widows and the Thrift Store Murders
  • A Dangerous Woman (A Fay Cunningham Mystery, #1)
  • If Errands Could Kill (Minivan Mom Mystery, #1)
  • Backyard Bones (Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries, #2)
  • Too Close to Miss (Mara Cunningham Series, #1)
  • Trial Junkies (Trial Junkies #1)
  • Wayfarer's Promise
  • Silenced by the Yams (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3)
  • Bats and Bones (The Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries #1)
  • The Main Line Is Murder (A Ginger Barnes Mystery, #1)
  • At Large (Josephine Fuller, #3)
  • Shadow of Doubt (Kali O'Brien, #1)
  • Irrefutable
  • Ms America and the Offing on Oahu (Beauty Queen Mystery, #1)
  • Zoned for Murder
  • Livin' Lahaina Loca (Islands of Aloha Mystery, #2)
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • Toxicity (Georgia Davis, #3)

A Lucille Mystery (4 books)
  • Unholy Matrimony (A Lucille Mystery #2)
  • Hit and Nun (A Lucille Mystery #3)
  • A Room with a Pew (A Lucille Mystery #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Burnable Book (John Gower, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • The Stockholm Octavo
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Cocoa Beach
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kingdom of Darkness: A Novel (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase series)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Tide (Ty Hauck, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Coercion
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • What We Saw
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
“was going to have a fit. Too bad. The shop was locked, so nothing was going to happen to it.” 1 likes
“Go on in,” the desk sergeant called to Lucille.” 1 likes